Setting Custom SMS Ringtones
The iPhone has 6 sms alerts. You can not have more than this, however, you are able to replace the 6 that are available, as long as you rename your custom files to match the ones in your UIsounds folder. I would recommend saving the stock tones to another folder as backup. The way you get custom tones is to replace these stock files in the UIsounds folder with yours, renaming yours to the original file names.
This will give you custom tones, however the names that show up under Text Messaging in your Settings will still display the originals (Chime, Tri-tone, etc.) So you will have to listen to each to know which one is which.
1. Use SSH to enter your phone.
2. Navigate to: System/Library/Audio/UIsounds
3. Scroll down to sms-received1.caf
. These are your stock tones.
4. Using an audio converter (google: Switch Audio Converter), convert your
.mp3 or other audio file to .aiff
5. Now, rename your custom files to match what is in UIsounds. So you have for example, sms-received1.aiff.
6. Change the file extension from .aiff to .caf - So for example, now you have sms-received1.caff
7. Delete the original file from UIsounds. Drag and drop your new tone into UIsounds. Make sure the name matches exactly the file you are replacing.
8. Enjoy your new tone Back to Index Post