Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Feb 13th, 2017, 7:36 pm
Peanut butter and syrup or a salad sand which
Feb 13th, 2017, 7:36 pm
Mar 2nd, 2017, 4:32 pm
royale' with cheez
Mar 2nd, 2017, 4:32 pm

No longer active.
Mar 25th, 2017, 2:01 am
double post--sorry
Mar 25th, 2017, 2:01 am
Mar 25th, 2017, 2:02 am
Also delicious:

Roast chicken, mango chutney, lettuce and mayo on brioche bread/roll

BLT with avocado

Avocado on toasted whole wheat with a *bit* of mayo

Roast beef, cucumber sliced thinly, with Bulldog sauce on toasted bread

Curried chicken salad with pecans and golden raisins on crusty baguette or rolls

Roasted lamb and figs with melted brie on ciabatta
Mar 25th, 2017, 2:02 am
Apr 10th, 2017, 2:23 pm
I go through phases when it comes to the 'best' and I got bored with the standard melted cheese with meat combos so started experimenting according to my tastes. Imo bread (see note at bottom) should be as important as the filling. These are my best combos so far:

1. Thin slices of curd (fresh) cheese, sliced sweet (dessert) apple, ground cinnamon, bottle cap of orange blossom water (depending on how much essential oil this has add a bit of orange zest).

2. Turkey, stuffing which must contain some chestnuts, roasted onions & garlic, pickled cabbage, plum/cranberry sauce

3. Slow roasted shoulder of lamb (I remove as much of the fat as possible) with a sauce made of tahini, lemon juice, roasted garlic, touch of soy sauce and toasted ground fennel seeds, spring onions, iceberg lettuce.

4. Mashed roasted sweet potato (the red one that tastes of caramel when roasted and is moist) with dry mint and a little bit of powdered ginger (also makes a very good pasta sauce when diluted with water)

5. Chicken leg/thigh meat and a sauce of tahini, lemon, dried thyme, allspice, ground cumin and spring onions.

6. Haloumi and grapes cut in half (simple but oh so good)

7. Haloumi with toasted crushed sesame seeds, pinch of toasted ground sichuan pepper corns, either raw onion heated up just enough to remove its raw pungency or spring onions.

8. Haloumi, mashed avocado with dry dill, dry mint, slices of ghurkin, spinach, red wine vinegar and pepper.

9. Slow roast pork shoulder, apple sauce, sage & onion stuffing and a good bit of the crunchy skin AKA crackling. Best results when you render most of the fat from the meat and skin.

* NB - Bread is an overlooked component of the best sandwiches. I tend to use something soft with a wide surface area for holding filings. I don't eat that super-refined soft white bread produced by many factories. I favour pitta-style bread that is made fresh within the past couple of days. The best bread stales pretty quickly due to lack of preservatives. There is plenty of junk that imitates 'traditional/artisan' bread but falls short in terms of flavour. This is mainly due to the fact that it uses junk quality flour that has had most of the flavour burnt out of it from the industrial milling process. Good bread really does taste wonderful by itself and enhances any filling you eat it with.
Apr 10th, 2017, 2:23 pm
May 5th, 2017, 1:41 am
A Hoisin Duck Wrap from Waitrose

A Bacon Sandwich with Crispy Streaky Bacon

Roast Beef

Roast Chicken

Ham & Cheese Toastie
May 5th, 2017, 1:41 am

Darkness conceals the world, but reveals the universe.
Jun 2nd, 2017, 12:51 pm
Picky eater so I prefer plain ham warmed up. Nothing else on it
Jun 2nd, 2017, 12:51 pm
Jun 24th, 2017, 8:02 pm
There is a veal sandwich at the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto that is by and far the best sandwich ever!
Jun 24th, 2017, 8:02 pm
Jul 4th, 2017, 11:51 am
avocado + boiled eggs + mayo
Jul 4th, 2017, 11:51 am
Jul 22nd, 2017, 11:42 pm
My family owned a restaurant in the South when I was growing up. There were a few sandwiches that were on our menu that I've never seen anywhere else. They were my favorites and I make them at home for my family. Now, remember, these are "Southern Classics" (read: in no way healthy).

First was a "Village Square". It's essentially a half-pound hand pattied burger (cooked until all the pink is just barely gone) with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on white bread that is buttered on one side and grilled and the side that's inside the sandwich isn't toasted at all.

We used to do a bologna sandwich with the bologna sliced about 3/4 inch thick and grilled to order (I like mine cooked a lot so you have some crispy skin on it, whereas some people like it just barely warmed). This was on a buttered toasted bun with slaw, mustard, and onions. I also would eat it with chili on it for a little something extra.

My all-time favorite was when we made "open-faced" sandwiches. Basically, that's white bread on the plate, with various stewed meats and gravy on the top. Like chicken and gravy, roast beef and gravy, pot roast and gravy, etc.

I have tons of great Southern cooking recipes, but they're all designed for a restaurant full of people!
Jul 22nd, 2017, 11:42 pm
Aug 5th, 2017, 10:35 pm
I just had a chicken burger patty with muenster and Thai peanut satay sauce, bacon, and homemade bourbon syrup (Jack Daniels and sugar simmered until it's thick) on white bread that was browned in a pan with butter, so it was like a grilled cheese. I ate it with Maple Bacon flavored potato chips, and washed it down with a Frostee blue cream soda. It was good.
Aug 5th, 2017, 10:35 pm
Sep 1st, 2017, 12:12 am
Best sandwich in the world? A man-sandwich counts? ;) between two strong, muscular masculine guys.. best kind of sandwich
Sep 1st, 2017, 12:12 am