Feb 24th, 2013, 9:25 pm
hummm just my 2 cents I don’t believe in piracy just to get it for free. but after reading many of the posts on here i can see the other side of the coin. Yes some people can’t afford the books or their just not available in their country. For those people I can understand the reason.
I’ve been all over the world in the military i waded through blood. As a correctional officer at a very big prison i talked to some of the worst people ever born. Their excuse for their crimes was about the same as jatboy's life isn’t fair why should I care if i want it i just take it. While piracy maybe a gray area for many of you the reason you’re doing it is not. If you just want to feed you hunger for books and can’t afford to keep up but pay when you can i can see that as reasonable. If it’s not availed in your area i can agree with that. if their asking way too much for something that has little overhead compared to a tradition book understandable. But just because you believe it owed to you or that you don’t care is wrong. I’m not a great known author and my books at the moment while very popular have many grammar errors and thanks to my paying readers i can now afford a editor as well as other services.
if someone was to ask me for a copy i would gladly give it to them as long as their reasoning is valid. Heck I could chock it up as a beta reader. The same thing i offered someone who was looking for one of my books on here. That’s just my 2 cents, and like many opinions it is only worth the digital ink it’s written on.
Feb 24th, 2013, 9:25 pm
Feb 25th, 2013, 6:37 am
Honestly, the books I get here tend to fall into one of several categories.

1. Books that I already have in a dead-tree format (paperback or hard back). I have almost everything written by Robert A. Heinlein and Anne McCaffrey, for instance. I see no reason to pay the authors (or in the case of these two, unfortunately, their estates) and/or their publishers twice for the same book. Basically, just adding books already in my collection to a more mobile format.
Result: No lost sale - already purchased once.

2. Books from authors I have never heard of before. With the prices of books these days (in ANY format), I simply cannot afford to waste my money on an "Unknown" (to me) author. Once I HAVE had a chance to try their works, then that is another story. It's unbelievable the number of authors I had not heard of before, but now would buy one of their books with no problem whatsoever (now that I know whether or not they are, to my eyes anyway, a good read). On the other hand, there have been books I've found here that sounded like a good read, only to find that it was total crap and I would have been very ticked off if I HAD paid good money for them.
Result: No lost sale as I would not buy it at all until familiar with the author's work. After that, possible future sales.

3. Books that sound interesting, but simply cannot be found except at some online retailer who has a monopoly on sales of the book - as long as you have their permission to read it. (Like Amazon)
I get some books here that are DRM-free simply because I don't like being burned for the cost of a book a second time just because the online retailer went under and took my DRM-locked copies with them. That gets old very quickly.
Result: Possible lost sale depending book and/or author.

4. Books I might want to read or may not be sure I want to read, but probably never will get caught up enough to ever get to them. But I get them when I can, just in case.
Result: Not really a lost sale as I only get these because I MIGHT want to read them. If I get them or not does not matter to me, so if it came down to having to pay for a book I wasn't sure about, it would be a "No Sale" anyway.
Feb 25th, 2013, 6:37 am

"We Gladly Feast on Those Who Would Subdue Us." - Addams Family
Feb 25th, 2013, 6:56 am
those all seem logical bohica. when i first noticed my books were on this sight i got mad. though honestly i was haveing one heck of a day. someone had bommed my computer with a virus and i lost alot of work and i can bet that the lost time on my third novle will probly cost me more than pirating will this year. to lift my spirits i was looking through google to see if any body was blooging about me... i like to keep up with my fans. and this sight was the first one to pop up. so i might have been a tad grumpy. i still dont believe its right, never will. but then again i was raised in the buckle of the bibble bet in a family where at my age with two kids ill still get a tanned backside if i cuss around a female. ill still post a cease and disis order when i find it but im not going to go overboard about it. as far as this sight goes if i see a request for it now on ill offer to email them the mobi myslelf. but i wont upload it to a shareing center. i dont mind giveing away copies its the idea of them being taken without my knowldge that rubs me. but once again that probly just my over active moral center (and no im not saying yaull are amoral just that mine a little over sensitive even in my own view.)
Feb 25th, 2013, 6:56 am
Mar 1st, 2013, 1:10 pm
My response is but a few words: What right do I have to tell someone not to share/pirate my book when I've gladly in the past uploaded craptons of mp3s, full albums and seeded foreign dramas and movies? I still have my YouTube to mp3 program because some songs are catchy for the moment but not worth 1.29 imo (cause it's not something I would listen to more than a few times). I'm an indie author and a big reader and I feel that big name publishers don't care about readers. They make ebooks so inaccessible (read overpriced) sometimes just to drive up the sales of paperbacks (well that's my conclusion anyway). If there is no ink and paper involved and the cost almost nothing to create, why are they so expensive? Especially when the authors are seeing just pennies of it anyway...

I can even understand pirating a book from an author you've never heard of. I especially prefer it to having someone buy my book, hate it and return it...which luckily hasn't happened for me since no one has actually purchased my book yet. It's just the thought of someone enjoying that authors first book and then requesting the second, third and fourth installments because 2.99 was too much (only talking reasonably priced indies).

Right now my stance is this...which is a little off topic but anyway, if I purchase a physical copy of a book I should be entitled to the ebook version. Plain and simple. I think publishers should take the same approach movies are taking because it's such a great idea to be able to get a digital copy (to something you've already spent your money on). I think it would bring a little more fairness to the ebook world and would still keep the sales of paperbacks bc that would be an actual deal, not a ripoff.

OK, so those weren't a few words, but yes, that is all I have to say. Came here cause I found my book via google and I say pirate the crap out of it--just take the time to give a review on amazon and goodreads, tell a friend, anything....so that others can decide if it's something worth buying.
Mar 1st, 2013, 1:10 pm
Jul 8th, 2013, 4:04 am
I am a collector. I have thousands of books, movies, TV series, video games and so on (almost to the point of not being able to find what I'm looking for.) I recently started looking for e-books to duplicate and expand my physical book collection, so that I can have it at my fingertips. In many cases, I've already paid for the book once (or twice, as I have hardback and paperback versions of some books,) so it's not like I'm reading the story without the author getting any compensation at all.

Many books that I look for are long out of print, and the e-books are scanned versions instead of retail e-books. In a way, I see "pirates" as doing a service by preserving some of these older books, even though they may technically be in copyright.

Right now, I am EXTREMELY broke, and I haven't been able to buy a new book, movie, game, etc., for a long time. In other words, if I download something, I wouldn't have been able to spare the money to pay for it anyway, so there really isn't a "lost sale." I may take a look at other downloaded things and decide they're not worth my time, and delete them. Again, those shouldn't count as a lost sale, it's the equivalent of browsing in the store, glancing at the back cover, thumbing through the book, and putting it back on the shelf. Then there are the hundreds of things downloaded just because they are there. I may never get to them, and I certainly wouldn't have bought most (or all) of them in bulk like that. A., I wouldn't have the physical room for them, and B., I wouldn't buy most of them just because I thought they sounded vaguely interesting.

Going to movies for a moment, long ago I downloaded a crappy 'cam' version of a theatrical film because I'd heard some buzz. Since then, I've purchased the DVD (two or three different releases) as well as the sequels. Of the things i do download, if I like them I probably will purchase physical copies in the future, or even e-books (assuming there isn't DRM on the e-books.)

That brings me to DRM and publishers. I don't even have a mobile device at the moment, so any e-book I purchase with DRM might likely be tied to my computer, if I can even download it. I don't know if Amazon allows Kindle books to be bought without a kindle, or not. If I ever do buy an e-reader, I'd want something that could handle a wide range of formats, and I'd want to be able to move my collection to a different device whenever I chose.

Price: I don't feel that an e-book is worth 8.99 or higher, when it didn't cost the publisher anything. If I actually had any spare money, I'd be more willing to buy those e-books priced from .99 cents to around four or five dollars. If I knew most of the money was going to the author instead of the publishing company, even better.

Also, I kind of have a "stick it to the man" mentality, when I hear about the strong-arm and money-grabbing tactics done by corporate rights-holders - fining a college student half a million dollars for sharing 30 songs, price fixing, etc. To use movies for an example, one of the most pirated films was Avatar, but it's also the highest money-maker. Evidently the piracy didn't hurt it too much, or it wouldn't have made all that money. If the film (or book, etc.,) is some independent thing no one has ever heard of, then people aren't likely to pirate it in the first place. If they do, then they might tell friends about it, who go on to purchase it, thus creating sales instead of 'stealing' them.

I am also an author: My works are in a certain genre (that I won't mention here) and are posted for free; but even so, I myself have been pirated. Some of my works (along with those of many other authors) were copied and pasted wholesale to a 'for profit' website, presumably so they would have 'content' and get lots of Google hits for ad revenue.

By the way, I sincerely hope that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who wants to watch any film from Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg (Date Movie, Disaster Movie, etc.,) pirates the hell out it, instead of giving those jokers one more dime. When I was young(er) and not quite as smart, I actually PAID for one of their works, not knowing any better. They should have all profits from their films seized and donated to charity. Furthermore, they should be fined a great deal of money for collectively lowering the IQ of the movie-going public, and they should be forced to spend the rest of their lives in menial labor.

Err, sorry about that.
Jul 8th, 2013, 4:04 am
Jul 23rd, 2013, 1:25 am
I purchase hard copies of books (hubby doesn't own an e-reader and we share many interests in book tastes) and I have also gotten books through sites like this if something stands out. Often I use it as though I am browsing a book store. I normally surf Amazon and purchase a Kindle book by an author I know or hard copy for my husband (often both). I tend to be more cautious of a new author. I am also the person my friends go to for book recommendations and I keep a mental inventory of who likes what so I can always inform them of books I run across. There is a large amount of crap out there to read because everyone fancies themselves an author with the advent of e-readers it seems.

For example, now that I have seen your posts I will look up your works. The publicity and reviews from places like Mobilism, Kindle Nation Daily, Amazon, and Goodreads influence my decisions to purchase books. I have also found that a smart move by authors/publicists is to put up the first book of a series on one of the "free" sites or advertise it as a daily freebie on Kindle Nation Daily. If I find the book interesting and the Kindle purchases prices reasonable (I think nothing of the .99-3.99 per book charge in a series upwards to roughly 7.99, after that I might as well wait for a paperback or find it for a quarter in a thrift store), I impulse purchase the entire series. I then suggest to those I know with similar tastes to also get the first book free and they end up purchasing the series as well.

I understand the frustration of the loss of intellectual property as I deal with it in the music business. I have also learned that offering up a free song by a new artist tends to sell more as long as the band isn't overpricing their work. If each song is .99 cents most just purchase 1-3 more for their iphones/ipods/mp3. Not the riches expected but better than nothing. Often they write a review on the song which in turn sells more. I know I write reviews when I stumble across an obscure writer who has something special and needs to be recognized.

Just my two cents and thank you for putting your name on my radar of authors to check out.
Jul 23rd, 2013, 1:25 am
Jul 24th, 2013, 12:23 am
I do not have money for hard copies. I want to read a book and then I live in a city where the library has real problem about buying the newest books. What should I do? Is there such a bad thing to read your book?
If I had more money, be sure I would buy it. But seriously...
Jul 24th, 2013, 12:23 am

And so it goes...
Aug 6th, 2013, 9:28 am
@leo: well it may sound naive to u, but i live in india and considering my position i think i belongs to middle class and i can afford to buy books but everywhere see poverty , hunger and malnutrition in children so i would rather spend my money to feed a child's hunger rather then spending it on a book whose author lives in a grand mansion and has millions of dollars.

@D.W. Jackson : if i want it , i take it because i can't afford it because some greedy people made it like this so that they can fill their insatiable greed.
if those some of the worst people u met, if they were given a chance or an upstart like u ( i am assuming u got one ), would they still had done it.
and regarding worst people , i don't think there could be people more worse than some in military.we all remember those videos of U.S. military in Iraq.
Aug 6th, 2013, 9:28 am

Retired.Don't Ask me For Re-ups. Feel Free To Add Mirrors

We Are Pirates Not Thieves.Thieves Are Found In Parliament.
Aug 28th, 2013, 9:19 pm
@jatboylover

Do you really think most authors live in grand mansions and have millions of dollars? Sadly, this is not the case for the majority of writers. Some get lucky, like J.K. Rowling, but the majority work incredibly hard and do NOT live in the lap of luxury.

Not trying to start an argument, but I really felt this needed to be said, with respect. Cheers.
Aug 28th, 2013, 9:19 pm
Aug 29th, 2013, 11:50 pm
"Right now my stance is this...which is a little off topic but anyway, if I purchase a physical copy of a book I should be entitled to the ebook version...." Gasp!, shock, horror! How could you suggest such a thing? Amazon and Apple and all the other greedy corporations giving away a free ebook of the hard copy you spent money buying. Shame on you, it would mean the end of publishing and books. Lets face it, it isn't going to happen but it's a pleasant thought.
Aug 29th, 2013, 11:50 pm
Sep 1st, 2013, 7:31 am
@ WBotW : I ain't that big fool :P it was a figure of speech, as mostly i read books of well-known authors who have already so much money and literally authors like english_monster are never on my radar unless a fellow pirate or friend gives an awesome review about them.
Sep 1st, 2013, 7:31 am

Oct 10th, 2013, 7:52 am
I didn't read every post in this thread - so I may be repeating a point already made - but I think your concern hinges on a fallacy, to wit:

"With one proviso, of course - that the people who create the content you're all consuming (people like me) don't get a bean."

This is untrue - hear me out.

When I was young - there was no internet, and I wasn't rich. I went to the library, at school and later the local public library, and read tons of books, and other than the single original sale, no money went to the authors there either. But - they benefited, tremendously, because what they got out of it was a lifelong reader, and I have a garage *full* (no, really) of dead tree pulp to prove it. I once went out and started to try to add up the retail prices I've paid over my lifetime... many many tens of thousands of dollars - on just books (not to mention related media like games and movies and such). Point being -the vast majority of what I spent money on were the authors and genres that captured my brain when I was a kid in that library. No - those authors didn't get their dollar or so a book after the others in the industry got their share - what they got was a lifelong fan, who read and recommended their books to others, and who spent a ton of money on their stuff when he had money to spend. Don't underestimate the human urge to *collect*.

The people here are giving you something - just not what you were looking for. They're giving you time, and attention, and if your stuff is good, they'll tell their friends, and your total book sales will go up, not down. You don't need to believe me - I'm sure others in the thread have quoted authors who'll vouch for this (Cory Doctrow comes to mind - I read all of his stuff free, and I've bought a few of his books as gifts that I never would have had I not read them first).

There will come a time, I expect, when the book publishing industry comes to it's senses (we can already see the beginnings of that) - and they stop punishing their customers with DRM, and start charging reasonable prices (an ebook should not cost *MORE* than the printed version!). When that happens, well, boards like this won't disappear any more than libraries will - but most people won't bother dicking around with file download sites. I know I'd rather pay a few bucks (the price of an inexpensive paperback) for a nice, quality epub, but in most cases that's not an option I have, unfortunately. (I'm maybe an odd case - I have that garage full of dead trees, and the vast majority of my downloads are an attempt to media-shift books I've already bought, often more than once, into something I carry with me that's more accessible than being buried in a box in the garage. And I'd gladly pay a buck or two each for a nice clean epub to avoid having to search, but again - nobody seems willing to do that [amazon is coming close with their new program, but no cigar because most of my book purchases pre-date them]).
Oct 10th, 2013, 7:52 am
Nov 14th, 2013, 7:46 pm
[quote=D.W. Jackson] : if i want it , i take it because i can't afford it because some greedy people made it like this so that they can fill their insatiable greed.
if those some of the worst people u met, if they were given a chance or an upstart like u ( i am assuming u got one ), would they still had done it.
and regarding worst people , i don't think there could be people more worse than some in military.we all remember those videos of U.S. military in Iraq.[/quote]

im not saying all my brother in arms are innocent, far from it. I was simply stating that excuses for any crime are close to the same. I don't mind my books being read by anyone and I have gladly uploaded my books on here myself ( with the request they drop by amazon and leave a review). the main point I was trying to make is its not the action that defines the crime to me its the feelings and motivation behind it. the biggest crime is the book industry isn't pirates at all in my book. its the big name publishers who look for any reason they can to close down any indie author who does fairly well.
Nov 14th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Nov 18th, 2013, 4:09 pm
D.W. Jackson wrote:iI was simply stating that excuses for any crime are close to the same. I don't mind my books being read by anyone and I have gladly uploaded my books on here myself ( with the request they drop by amazon and leave a review). the main point I was trying to make is its not the action that defines the crime to me its the feelings and motivation behind it. the biggest crime is the book industry isn't pirates at all in my book. its the big name publishers who look for any reason they can to close down any indie author who does fairly well.
:
and i was simply stating that it isn't an excuse, excuses are given by people who have done something wrong, and there is nothing wrong in claiming what is ur right and u would have possessed if circumstances and people would have been different and better.

and btw i appreciate ur thoughts and ur efforts.i am opposing u on one matter doesn't mean that i don't respect ur work. ;)

EDIT : and piracy isn't a crime, it also helps to identify some good work too.
http://www.rlslog.net/piracy-isnt-that-bad-and-they-know-it/
read this , it's about producer of man from earth thanking pirates.
Nov 18th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Nov 19th, 2013, 8:23 am
jet I understand what you are saying but it just comes from a different standpoint. I have never believed myself above being wrong, we all are from time to time. esp when it comes things that cant easy fit into one area or another. is piracy a crime by a legal definition it is but then the people who make the laws are just as bad. is anything lost when a book is pirated? honestly no the book is still there, are sales affected? maybe but it would be impossible to prove one way or another. it is worth an authors time to fight it... no... in the end all it does is end up bringing in bad vibes and when you work for the entertainment of people that can cause a serious backlash. I see it in the light like taping something from the radio (yes I am not a youngin so I still have tapes not cd's) as long as you never sold the tapes then you were left alone no one even said anything if u dubbed a copy for a friend back then but with the internet came on the scene it became more widespread and a lot easier to share.

in truth all of this is still new to me while I grew up with the computer boom I was never much of a computer person. I didn't even know what DRM was until someone told me (and I started choosing not to have DRM on my books) mainly bc as far as im concerned as soon as someone buys my book they can do what they want with it, except sell it...

As I said before the first time I saw one of my books on this site I was hopping mad (not because the book was on here but because some idiot sent me an email with a virus that destroyed my computer, as I said im not a computer person so I hadn't backed up my files and I lose everything including a nearly complete book.) I went off a bit calmed down and apologized for my attitude. you might see it father up I didn't edit it or erase it I know I could but once something is said you cant really take it back. but all in all im still not sure on the whole piracy issue.. if asked directly if its a crime.. I would say yes.. if I was asked if I cared then I would say no. then I have always had an weird way of thinking. if you were to ask me if being gay is a sin(I would say yes) if you asked me if gays should have the right to get married in the US (I would say yes.) but that's how I think I have three sets of views (personal, political, and religious) a the three seldom get along. you spend enough time in wars you have to do something to protect your sanity for me I set aside my views for when its appropriate. (is killing a sin...yes... will I go to hell... undoubtedly...) I am no saint far from it all war is government sanctioned murder, it is still murder and its legal that doesn't make it right. I think I deviated from my point... ahh the mind of a writer seldom composed, it likes to wander. my point is simple is piracy a crime..yes.....is it wrong...I don't have the faintest idea. and even viewing it as a crime is a gray area as different countries have different laws about that.

P.S. I am far from rich. cant say I wouldn't mind being rich. honestly right now my books sales pay well but I still live on a sofa in the living room because I have 2 adopted kids who have a room and my elder mom has the third room in my house. money has never been a major thing for me. if I have extra nice if not as long as I can pay the bills why complain.
Nov 19th, 2013, 8:23 am