Jun 8th, 2015, 9:32 pm
Hi,
I received the following PM:
Hi archagg,
The link for the epub version of Silence by Shusaku Endo below is no longer available. Is there any chance you might upload it again when you have the time? Thanks for reading this.

Best,
--------------------------------------------------

Subject: Silence by Shusaku Endo

However, when I tried to edit the links it said: topic closed. I would post it as a new release but there is already a PDF version posted here:
http://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=921030&hilit=Shusaku+endo

What do I do?

The link you had provided was in answer to a Request, which at the time satisfied the original requester(s). Therefore, the Request was moved to Fulfilled Requests and then Locked. The person who sent you the pm must make another Request if the posted PDF version doesn't meet his/her needs.
Jun 8th, 2015, 9:32 pm
Jun 14th, 2015, 11:02 am
Is it possible to search for all book releases posted by a particular OP?
Jun 14th, 2015, 11:02 am

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Jun 14th, 2015, 4:33 pm
pjmpjm wrote:Is it possible to search for all book releases posted by a particular OP?

1. Open the advanced Search window (see images below for versions 2.0 and classic),
2. Enter a keyword of your choosing (epub, mobi, mp3, cbr) in "Search for keywords" (or leave the field empty),
3. Enter the name of the OP in "Search for user",
4. In "Search in forums", select eBook Releases (or your favourite category)
5. Click Search.

Jun 14th, 2015, 4:33 pm
Jun 16th, 2015, 1:29 am
I read various rule posts and I could not seem to find anything about mirror site limits.. I use two of them right now are we allowed to add a third?
I am asking out of frustration at Tusfiles servers going down repeatedly this last week it has been down for a few hours now and my second link is a rapidgator one and I know that some people prefer free sites.. So just asking are three links allowed?
Thanks

merry60 wrote:The rules say that "you must provide at least one mirror". The number is up to you as long as all of them are from free hosts and at least one of them has no waiting period between downloads.
Jun 16th, 2015, 1:29 am
Jun 26th, 2015, 5:28 am
I am a bit confused as to how to differentiate between a retail version and some other version. Because I see many times request for a retail version. Does the text or matter change or is different in the retail version? Because to compare I had one version of a book and then when someone posted a retail version of the same book I downloaded it. Reading did not make any difference to me. The text was the same. Clarity the same. So I want someone to explain to me the difference.
zackddog wrote: Read these topics:
viewtopic.php?p=1194648#p1194648
viewtopic.php?f=1300&t=822297
viewtopic.php?f=1147&t=795711
viewtopic.php?f=1147&t=1149112

But, if you're not an user obsessed with the word "retail", a few minor errors, -lack of, or misplaced italics, whether a quote is the English or American style, a TOC (table of contents) or the publisher-, and if the file is perfectly legible and readable, the version shouldn't make a difference. Most times, I'm just happy that I got to read a great book for free, with or without imperfections.

PS. As for the italics, when I read a book (and I'm sure that this happens to everyone) I hear the character's voice in my head, I don't need a reminder that speech is being written, I know that instinctively. This is the only instance that I know of where hearing voices in your head -what they call being schizophrenic- is perfectly normal.
McJalm wrote:Then there are readers with such sensitive, er, sensibilities with respect to the aesthetic properties of ebooks - c'est moi! - that any imperfections of same will distract them from the book's content.

Really, the issue is no different when you compare how some people respond to physical books. Consider those who drool over hardcover books, going gaga not just over the content but also over the sight, feel, smell of them, and the crisp sound of pages turning in new books. They will argue that ebooks can't compare for the very reason that they are missing those aesthetic properties and therefore, they can't enjoy ebooks - whose CONTENT is identical.

So the bottom line is, if someone requests Retail, then those aesthetic properties matter to them. Plus, the knowledge that they have an ebook whose presentation is exactly as the publisher/author intended it.
Jun 26th, 2015, 5:28 am
Jun 27th, 2015, 5:28 am
hercule_p2001 wrote:
zackddog wrote: Read these topics:
viewtopic.php?p=1194648#p1194648
viewtopic.php?f=1300&t=822297
viewtopic.php?f=1147&t=795711
viewtopic.php?f=1147&t=1149112

But, if you're not an user obsessed with the word "retail", a few minor errors, -lack of, or misplaced italics, whether a quote is the English or American style, a TOC (table of contents) or the publisher-, and if the file is perfectly legible and readable, the version shouldn't make a difference. Most times, I'm just happy that I got to read a great book for free, with or without imperfections.

PS. As for the italics, when I read a book (and I'm sure that this happens to everyone) I hear the character's voice in my head, I don't need a reminder that speech is being written, I know that instinctively. This is the only instance that I know of where hearing voices in your head -what they call being schizophrenic- is perfectly normal.
McJalm wrote:Then there are readers with such sensitive, er, sensibilities with respect to the aesthetic properties of ebooks - c'est moi! - that any imperfections of same will distract them from the book's content.

Really, the issue is no different when you compare how some people respond to physical books. Consider those who drool over hardcover books, going gaga not just over the content but also over the sight, feel, smell of them, and the crisp sound of pages turning in new books. They will argue that ebooks can't compare for the very reason that they are missing those aesthetic properties and therefore, they can't enjoy ebooks - whose CONTENT is identical.

So the bottom line is, if someone requests Retail, then those aesthetic properties matter to them. Plus, the knowledge that they have an ebook whose presentation is exactly as the publisher/author intended it.

Thanks for the clarification.
Jun 27th, 2015, 5:28 am
Jul 1st, 2015, 9:00 pm
Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to post this or where the problem originates, but I just thought I should tell someone that after downloading several books, I kept getting "Important Security Message" pop-up/malware ads with a recorded message. When I tried closing the tab, more and more tabs kept popping up until I had to force quit. This happened several times through tusfiles, uploadrocket, and one other link I can't remember.

Just a heads up in case to beware, and in case there's something that can be done about this.
Jul 1st, 2015, 9:00 pm
Jul 1st, 2015, 9:25 pm
otastyfish wrote:Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to post this or where the problem originates, but I just thought I should tell someone that after downloading several books, I kept getting "Important Security Message" pop-up/malware ads with a recorded message. When I tried closing the tab, more and more tabs kept popping up until I had to force quit. This happened several times through tusfiles, uploadrocket, and one other link I can't remember.

Just a heads up in case to beware, and in case there's something that can be done about this.

Go to the first post in this eBook Help Desk thread and you'll find two threads that directly address this issue, specifically these:

Also, AdBlock or another ad blocker app. Make sure you have such an extension installed in your browser.
Jul 1st, 2015, 9:25 pm
Jul 2nd, 2015, 8:20 pm
Thanks McJaim! I was unchecking all the boxes I was supposed to, but nevertheless, downloading AdBlock definitely seems to have taken care of the problem. Appreciate your help.
Jul 2nd, 2015, 8:20 pm
Jul 3rd, 2015, 8:48 am
otastyfish wrote:Thanks McJaim! I was unchecking all the boxes I was supposed to, but nevertheless, downloading AdBlock definitely seems to have taken care of the problem. Appreciate your help.

Thanks to you both! I'd accidentally disabled Adblock on my Chrome browser and now I realise why all the pop-ups had increased! :)
Jul 3rd, 2015, 8:48 am

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Jul 4th, 2015, 3:17 am
Hello,
It seems I am not able to Find any Ebookfan when Searching, that were posted before 23 June 2015! I don't know if i'm the only one. I also have sent a pm to Disk4mat.

Greetz Nicky

Eros wrote:When you made this post, search was down for a few hours. :(
Now, when you see this message from me, and you are wondering, is it back up yet? :o Then look right here... How do I figure out if search is working? :D
Jul 4th, 2015, 3:17 am
Jul 4th, 2015, 9:24 am
We are delighed to see how useful this thread is for our members and how often they find solutions to their problems. However, on more than one occasion the answer to the question asked was already in the Opening Post but it was missed. Perhaps it is time for a....

REMINDER

Welcome to the eBook Help Desk where you will find plenty of valuable information about all things eBooks. Please check to see if your question has been answered in any of the following topics before asking, thank you!

Jul 4th, 2015, 9:24 am
Jul 8th, 2015, 7:19 pm
Is there a way to search by genre? Unable to find any information searching the forum etc.
Thanks

jaysee wrote:Hi. At present there is no way to search by genre. But in reality, this is not needed! Both our Fiction & Non-Fiction sections are divided into 'categories' that reflect, in a general sense, genres. So for example, in Fiction we have: Romance | Sci-Fi/Fantasy | Mystery/Thriller | General Fiction/Classics | Children/Young Adult. In our Non-Fiction section we have a similar structure although we are looking to review & update this in the near future.

So you can either browse the category of your interest or use the advanced search and choose that particular category in the "search in forum" field. But if you do know what you are looking for, you don't need a genre, even the quick search will do.
Jul 8th, 2015, 7:19 pm
Jul 11th, 2015, 7:19 pm
I have a very large series that I am editing to post soon, and a few books in the series are already on this site and I will of course link to them. However, one of those books is part of a VERY large 30 series set (by a single author) that is uploaded as a single file. Am I allowed to add a note in my post stating that anyone who wishes to download that book by itself (not all 30 books) can PM me for a link to it? There is also one that will link to a set of 10 books which is not quite as bad as having to download 30 for one book. Am just trying to make this easier on everyone without stepping on toes :)
Thanks

For the record the person who posted this set has been inactive since 2013 and no longer reups their own links. (if that makes any difference in the matter)
Jul 11th, 2015, 7:19 pm
Jul 11th, 2015, 7:45 pm
SnowyBooks wrote:one of those books is part of a VERY large 30 series set (by a single author) that is uploaded as a single file. Am I allowed to add a note in my post stating that anyone who wishes to download that book by itself (not all 30 books) can PM me for a link to it? ...Am just trying to make this easier on everyone without stepping on toes :)

I'm sorry, but no. If you really don't want to step on anyone's toes ;), then you might instead add a note at the bottom of your release to the effect that... anyone wanting to download a single book in a large multi-book release that offers only one pair of main+mirror links can always PM the original poster of that book for a private link to it alone. Most OPs are happy to oblige.
Jul 11th, 2015, 7:45 pm