Nov 13th, 2016, 4:01 pm
I'm not very sure whether i remembered right, but I think I came across a thread that has a compilation of the weekly best-selling ebook titles. They were updated very frequently, and all the book (up to 20 per file) were contained in a ZIP file. If this isn't a figment of my imagination, could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction please?


merry60 wrote:Not your imagination, but it's been a long time since we disallowed the best-sellers bundles. You can read about this issue in the Rules (scroll down to the bottom), or in the Social Club, these two threads in particular:

viewtopic.php?p=3409697#3409697
viewtopic.php?p=2798817#2798817
Nov 13th, 2016, 4:01 pm
Nov 22nd, 2016, 12:32 am
Not sure if I'm in the right place for this, but....

I switched one of my upload sites to filescdn.com to try to avoid some of the usual b.s. and because I noticed a lot of regulars here were using it. However, when I use the Mobilism premium downloader to get files from this site, I don't receive them in the format in which I uploaded them. So, whether I upload a .zip or .epub, for instance, I get something just marked "file" which doesn't load in calibre. On the other hand, if I go to the site and hit the "direct download" button, I get the proper file. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 12:32 am

I do not refresh dead Request links. Post another request in the Request Forum
I happily refresh my Release links. PM me from the PM button at the bottom of the Release page.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 1:07 am
PollyannaRoe wrote:Not sure if I'm in the right place for this, but .... I switched one of my upload sites to filescdn.com to try to avoid some of the usual b.s. and because I noticed a lot of regulars here were using it. However, when I use the Mobilism premium downloader to get files from this site, I don't receive them in the format in which I uploaded them. So, whether I upload a .zip or .epub, for instance, I get something just marked "file" which doesn't load in calibre. On the other hand, if I go to the site and hit the "direct download" button, I get the proper file. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.


Polly, I'll add my question/concern here as well. Yes, filescdn.com works just fine without the Premium Downloader so I don't bother with the latter. Likewise Zippyshare and one or two others. But I've also been finding that often the Premium Downloader doesn't play well with some storage sites, including a couple of the nastier ones. When you get to know the nature of these [expletive deleted] storage sites, you can usually work your way around the many problems, or find the books elsewhere, but I'm sure many newbies just give up and run! Don't know if Mobilism can do anything about these particular sites, which have often been mentioned here at eBook Help Desk, apart from banning them altogether.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 1:07 am

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Nov 22nd, 2016, 5:35 am
pjmpjm wrote:
PollyannaRoe wrote:Not sure if I'm in the right place for this, but .... I switched one of my upload sites to filescdn.com to try to avoid some of the usual b.s. and because I noticed a lot of regulars here were using it. However, when I use the Mobilism premium downloader to get files from this site, I don't receive them in the format in which I uploaded them. So, whether I upload a .zip or .epub, for instance, I get something just marked "file" which doesn't load in calibre. On the other hand, if I go to the site and hit the "direct download" button, I get the proper file. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.


Polly, I'll add my question/concern here as well. Yes, filescdn.com works just fine without the Premium Downloader so I don't bother with the latter. Likewise Zippyshare and one or two others. But I've also been finding that often the Premium Downloader doesn't play well with some storage sites, including a couple of the nastier ones. When you get to know the nature of these [expletive deleted] storage sites, you can usually work your way around the many problems, or find the books elsewhere, but I'm sure many newbies just give up and run! Don't know if Mobilism can do anything about these particular sites, which have often been mentioned here at eBook Help Desk, apart from banning them altogether.



Have sought help on this one by asking admin ...
Nov 22nd, 2016, 5:35 am
Online
Nov 22nd, 2016, 6:26 am
PollyannaRoe wrote:Not sure if I'm in the right place for this, but....

I switched one of my upload sites to filescdn.com to try to avoid some of the usual b.s. and because I noticed a lot of regulars here were using it. However, when I use the Mobilism premium downloader to get files from this site, I don't receive them in the format in which I uploaded them. So, whether I upload a .zip or .epub, for instance, I get something just marked "file" which doesn't load in calibre. On the other hand, if I go to the site and hit the "direct download" button, I get the proper file. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

The premium downloader works with filescdn. I have found that you get a file with a blank extension when the file you are downloading does not have a sufficiently unique file name. For example, a file uploaded like me.zip will likely give you a downloaded file called just "me" - no file extension.

So for example: https://filescdn.com/xhyvrmlo8lke , downloads with the PD without issue.
However this one: https://filescdn.com/fsh0gzu4w5zt gives you a file name Leopold with no extension.

Why? Leopold is probably not unique.

Fix: In your file host account, click my files / use the drop down beside the file in question / select edit
Change the file name to make from say Leopold.epub (from the above example), to Leopold__PARgr1.zip

There is no need to change the links in your topics; they remain the same.

Budda Bing Budda Boom... you should be good to go :)

If you have any trouble, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 6:26 am

PM me if all links are down in my topics and you need a refresh. Include the link (the URL) to the TOPIC please.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:30 am
The premium downloader works with filescdn. I have found that you get a file with a blank extension when the file you are downloading does not have a sufficiently unique file name.


Hmm. Well, I earlier uploaded a file with the rather unique label Sisterhood Is Forever: The Women's Anthology for a New Millennium as an epub and as a zipped epub and got the useless "file" in return when I downloaded them afterward.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:30 am

I do not refresh dead Request links. Post another request in the Request Forum
I happily refresh my Release links. PM me from the PM button at the bottom of the Release page.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:33 am
PollyannaRoe wrote:
The premium downloader works with filescdn. I have found that you get a file with a blank extension when the file you are downloading does not have a sufficiently unique file name.


Hmm. Well, I earlier uploaded a file with the rather unique label Sisterhood Is Forever: The Women's Anthology for a New Millennium as an epub and as a zipped epub and got the useless "file" in return when I downloaded it afterward.


Polly, have you investigated this 'file' thingy that you downloaded? For example, rename it to file. zip and/or file.epub and see if it opens with either of these two extensions.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:33 am

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:37 am
pjmpjm wrote:
PollyannaRoe wrote:
The premium downloader works with filescdn. I have found that you get a file with a blank extension when the file you are downloading does not have a sufficiently unique file name.


Hmm. Well, I earlier uploaded a file with the rather unique label Sisterhood Is Forever: The Women's Anthology for a New Millennium as an epub and as a zipped epub and got the useless "file" in return when I downloaded it afterward.


Polly, have you investigated this 'file' thingy that you downloaded? For example, rename it to file. zip and/or file.epub and see if it opens with either of these two extensions.


Nah. I haven't renamed it. I'm most concerned about other people finding my uploads useless. This "file" thing is something I first noticed downloading other folks' uploads within, say, the past month or so. And it happens with different upload sites. I had just assumed that it had something to do with my virus protection and would just say the heck with that file and just delete it and forget about it. At that time, I hadn't linked it to my use of the Mobilism Premium Uploader
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:37 am

I do not refresh dead Request links. Post another request in the Request Forum
I happily refresh my Release links. PM me from the PM button at the bottom of the Release page.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:45 am
Okay. I renamed it as an epub and it seems to work that way. Thanks. I'll do that in future for other people's files which I'm downloading, but it sure is not something I want to put other people through who are trying to download my stuff.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:45 am

I do not refresh dead Request links. Post another request in the Request Forum
I happily refresh my Release links. PM me from the PM button at the bottom of the Release page.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:49 am
Polly, I seem to recall having exactly the same problem as you describe, some months ago . . . a couple of times receiving a file via the Premium Uploader without an extension. My vague recollection is that I added a likely extension and it turned out to be OK. Maybe what you're describing is different. However, your point about others finding your upload useless is well taken. Would concern me too.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 7:49 am

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:27 am
PollyannaRoe wrote:Okay. I renamed it as an epub and it seems to work that way. Thanks. I'll do that in future for other people's files which I'm downloading, but it sure is not something I want to put other people through who are trying to download my stuff.

That was the right thing to do. Almost always, the problem is caused by the name of the file, not just the extension. We have always advised posters to use names that are unique, not too long, and not too short. 100% of the times this problem has occurred, the cause has been the name of the file.

When the Premium finds two files with the same name or too similar names, it goes for the one that was uploaded first. And even when we believe that we have been careful naming our files, Murphy happens. Example:

The Myths Of Cthulhu: TMOC
The Moment of Clarity: TMOC

Who would have thought. So in general, the reasons for the Premium to fail are:

1. Files with names too simple, there may be a gazillion "vampires.rar" already uploaded.
2. Files uploaded without compression, ePubs are more susceptible to corruption during upload/download than Zipped or RARed files.
3. Files with names too long, leaving the Downloader to read only part of the title, and Fileshosts to fill in the blanks with underscores; or names too short, which increases the risk of not being unique.
Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:27 am
Nov 22nd, 2016, 9:54 am
merry60 wrote:...So in general, the reasons for the Premium to fail are:

1. Files with names too simple, there may be a gazillion "vampires.rar" already uploaded.
2. Files uploaded without compression, ePubs are more susceptible to corruption during upload/download than Zipped or RARed files.
3. Files with names too long, leaving the Downloader to read only part of the title, and Fileshosts to fill in the blanks with underscores; or names too short, which increases the risk of not being unique.


May I add interject here and add a fourth instance:

4. File names which contain an apostrophe.

- Breakfast at Stephanie's
- Ranch's Retreat
- The Men I Didn't Marry
- Coach's Challenge

These examples are files I found on the site yesterday.
From experience over the last few months, I know I have to rename them by adding an extension to the file name before adding them to Calibre.


merry60 wrote:Thank you for your helpful contribution :)
Nov 22nd, 2016, 9:54 am
Nov 27th, 2016, 5:40 am
I use Chrome browser in my laptop and whenever I try to open this site filescdn it always says DNS not found, is there an alternative here, since many admins post books on this site I m not able to get an access here. please can anyone help me here. Thanks for your time :)


merry60 wrote:We checked and found no problem with filescdn and Chrome, worked on all devices. Either the site filescdn was down when you tried or you'll need to configure your browser's settings to allow it, I hope you will find the solution to your problem here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3123708?hl=en
Nov 27th, 2016, 5:40 am
Nov 30th, 2016, 1:25 am
i have a stupid question to ask what does it mean when a person says retail epub
Nov 30th, 2016, 1:25 am
Nov 30th, 2016, 3:39 am
cattina123 wrote:i have a stupid question to ask what does it mean when a person says retail epub


definition of retail: the sale of goods to the public in relatively small quantities for use or consumption rather than for resale.

It means it has not been altered, it is, as it was purchased ....not converted etc ....

ePUB of course is the format the book comes in

So a Retail ePUB ....is a purchased ePUB format

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nov 30th, 2016, 3:39 am
Online