Mainstream fiction, from all-time classics to contemporary novels
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:31 pm
Complete Stories by Dorothy Parker (1995)
Requirements: ePUB Reader | 1.1 Mb
Overview: As this complete collection of her short stories (edited by Colleen Breese) demonstrates, Dorothy Parker’s talents extended far beyond brash one-liners and clever rhymes. Her stories not only bring to life the urban milieu that was her bailiwick but lay bare the uncertainties and disappointments of ordinary people living ordinary lives.
"Now remembered almost solely as the lone female member of the New York writers' group known as the Algonquin Round Table, Parker was one of the most popular and published writers of the interwar years whose stories and light verse were eagerly sought by the best magazines. Although widely represented in short story anthologies, Parker's entire corpus of stories has never been collected in a single volume: editor Breese includes 13 stories and nine "sketches" not previously anthologized. Read as a collection, however, the famous sardonic wit becomes too intrusive, and similarities of plot and character are annoyingly apparent. Reliance on heavy social drinking as a staple of her plots is less humorous to Nineties readers, and some of Parker's ideas on the relationship between the sexes are equally dated. Still, many of the stories, such as the often reprinted "Big Blonde," are moving, and the whole volume is an unsettling portrait of the era." --Library Journal

Genre: Fiction, Literary

Download Instructions:
Drop APK

Mirror:
Uploadrar
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:31 pm

I am on medical leave, away from home and my files. Please hold your re-upload requests for my return, ~15 May 2024.

Thank you.