For professionals. Encyclopedias, databases, etc.
Mar 31st, 2013, 10:59 pm
Okay everyone, here is my personal guide to setting this up on Android.
I've messed this Skyscape thing up so many times that I now that I wrote my own guide and I'm sharing this foolproof method with you.

--TO INSTALL--
Preliminary: MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS ROOTED

1. Uninstall all previously installed versions of Skyscape, DroidWall, AFWall, remove any host file modifications
(essentially just get rid of everything and start fresh)

2. Download the latest Keyserver and run it. Select the books you want and leave it running for the rest of the guide.
Look for "This hosts's IP:" and you'll get your local IP.
Mine was 192.168.0.9.
Write that down somewhere, you'll need it in the next steps.

3. Go to Play Store and download "Hosts Editor". Its free. (link for the lazy: http://bit.ly/ZTqvXu )

4. Launch Hosts Editor and start adding New Entries (you need to add 7 alltogether):
For the 'IP Address' make sure you type in the address you got in Step 2.
(For me it was 192.168.0.9, yours will probably be different)
For the host entries, add one of these each time:
skyscape.com
www.skyscape.com
iphone.skyscape.com
android.skyscape.com
ota.skyscape.com
stat.skyscape.com
account.skyscape.com
Keep going until all entries are added.

5.Now we need to install Skyscape. I have created a re-signed version of Skyscape 1.7.25 that is disconnected from the Play Store. That means the Play Store will no longer to offer to update it (no accidental updates, no accidental lockouts!) You can download it here: http://bit.ly/1275sVd

6. Make sure you're phone is connected to the WiFi network at this point (same one that KeyServer is running on)

7. When you start Skyscape for the first time you'll be asked for username and password. Type any garbage for the email (eg. "dfsdgfskj") and leave the password blank.

8. Run the updates to download the selected books from KeyServer! Enjoy!

Note: You may occasionally get offered to download the latest Skyscape app from within the app itself. Just click no. If you do accidentally click yes however, don't panic, the app won't be able to connect anyway.

--FOR LOCKOUTS--
Although it is extremely unlikely using this method, you may at some point get locked out of the app.
To reset your book and unlock them again do this:
1. Run KeyServer on your PC.
2. Make sure Hosts Editor is set up as above (ie. Make sure the IP used in Hosts Editor matches the one displayed in the KeyServer program. )
3. Connect to your WiFi
4. Run updates again.
5. Done.

Hope this guide helps, this method is virtually bulletproof. Thanks to rab (for providing us with this awesome method)
Enjoy.
Mar 31st, 2013, 10:59 pm
Apr 24th, 2013, 6:26 pm
Hi guys! I tried all the instructions but could not get it to work! But did a youtube search & found this video on how to use it. It really helps.
Thought of sharing it! here it is.
Hope it helps!
http://youtu.be/qAJsEUwShL4
Apr 24th, 2013, 6:26 pm
Aug 22nd, 2013, 7:30 pm
Guys it's so easy... but first you must be rooted to proceed.

Download "Hosts Editor" from android market. I've purchased it but it works also with the free version.

Insert these below along with the IP address you see on keyserver "This host's IP" and you're done.

skyscape.com
www.skyscape.com
iphone.skyscape.com
android.skyscape.com
ota.skyscape.com
stat.skyscape.com
account.skyscape.com
Aug 22nd, 2013, 7:30 pm
Sep 12th, 2013, 9:10 am
OK.
I've found the easiest method. For rooted device only.

1) Download and install "set DNS" from Play Store. Free.
2) Download and install "Hosts Editor". Free.
3) Open Keyserver on PC and open set DNS on Android and type your DNS shown in KeyServer in DNS1 of custom tab of "set DNS". DNS2 leave blank. Click apply.
4.Open Hosts Editor and click New Entry ,type down your DNS from 3) (example xxx.xxx.x.x) and type down one host address and save. Shown steps here--->
New Entry ---> xxx.xxx.x.x www.skyscape.com ---> save
New Entry ---> xxx.xxx.x.x iphone.skyscape.com ---> save
New Entry ---> xxx.xxx.x.x android.skyscape.com ---> save
New Entry ---> xxx.xxx.x.x ota.skyscape.com ---> save
New Entry ---> xxx.xxx.x.x stat.skyscape.com ---> save
New Entry ---> xxx.xxx.x.x account.skyscape.com ---> save

If you explore to etc/host in your Android you will see like this.

127.0.0.1 localhost
xxx.xxx.x.x www.skyscape.com
xxx.xxx.x.x iphone.skyscape.com
xxx.xxx.x.x android.skyscape.com
xxx.xxx.x.x ota.skyscape.com
xxx.xxx.x.x stat.skyscape.com
xxx.xxx.x.x account.skyscape.com
That's OK.

Now close your mobile data connection. Use only WIFI on your Android connected with your PC.
Open Skyscape on Android.
Click update resources.
Type in any fake username and password.
Enjoy.

PS. Thanks for everyone who described the method earlier, I only made something easier and clearer.
Sep 12th, 2013, 9:10 am
Nov 17th, 2013, 2:02 am
No problems with my Galaxy S4 with stock, rooted 4.2.2. Created new static network connection to home WiFi:

IP settings: Static
IP address: 192.168.1.xx (use IP address that is different than desktop local IP) - 192.168.1.45
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Network prefix length: 24
DNS 1: 192.168.1.46 (use your desktop local IP address - you can see it under 'This hosts IP: xxx.xxx.x.xx when running the KeyServer program on your PC)
DNS 2: (empty)

Make sure when you use KeyServer on the PC that you check All options - Send reader updates, Force download server to this host, and Enable DNS server.

Also make sure you install a firewall on your phone to prevent Skyscape from attempting to connect to it's home servers (after you download the books from your PC of course). I use AFWAll+.

FYI, just updated to the latest Skyscape version from Google Play and books are still active/working fine.
Nov 17th, 2013, 2:02 am
Feb 7th, 2014, 6:30 am
If someone has the latest KeyServer.xml, please upload it.

Update: nevermind, RapidShare is working now, I have added "Pocket Medicine - The MGH Handbook of Internal Medicine 5th edition" to the "KeyServer-data-20131113.rar".

http://mir.cr/0IDRFXLD.
Feb 7th, 2014, 6:30 am
Feb 10th, 2014, 9:50 pm
new data

thx to users who have contribute sooner updates
Feb 10th, 2014, 9:50 pm
Mar 12th, 2014, 8:40 am
Topic cleaned - only good tutorials are kept. 1 hour deleting thanks-postings and dead links, also outdated problems, etc. - sorting the few posts left out. Please don't let the topic get into this mess again.
Mar 12th, 2014, 8:40 am

I retired from moderating Android. Thanks to raindrops, Mr FuFu, XVI, jimking & verdasco. We'll see us :)
Mar 22nd, 2014, 3:34 am
rab can u pls update keyserver.xml
Mar 22nd, 2014, 3:34 am
Mar 22nd, 2014, 7:00 pm
Today ios skyscape app update broke everything. There is a way out ?
Mar 22nd, 2014, 7:00 pm
Mar 27th, 2014, 8:47 am
libero wrote:Today ios skyscape app update broke everything. There is a way out ?

Can confirm. March iOS update has broken file sending to keyserver.
Keyserver still picks up the client connection but all files / requests appear to be sent through a different channel.

Any fix for this rab?
Mar 27th, 2014, 8:47 am
Mar 29th, 2014, 2:16 am
Maybe iOs 7.1 is doing this, not really the skyscape app. Mine is still working fine since I haven't updated to 7.1.
Mar 29th, 2014, 2:16 am
Mar 29th, 2014, 4:57 am
In iOS, Skyscape app update (1.18.67) on March has broken the keyserver.

The app is now using ota.omnio.com (not ota.skyscape.com as channel). So, the keyserver needs to be updated for this new skyscape version. (Plz update it rab... :-)

However android version is not affected coz the new version of skyscape in not released in Google Play Store yet.
Mar 29th, 2014, 4:57 am
Mar 29th, 2014, 11:25 am
Android version is also affected
Mar 29th, 2014, 11:25 am