Apr 22nd, 2014, 10:27 am

TITLE: Hild: A Novel
AUTHOR: Nicola Griffith
GENRE: Historical Fiction
PUBLISHED: 12/11/2013
RATING: ★★★★★
PURCHASE LINKS: Amazon
MOBILISM LINK: Mobilism

Review: There’s plenty of crossover space between fantasy and historical fiction, because so much fantasy is set in worlds very like some real-life historical periods. Which means that Hild, even though it has no outright magic, is just as perfect for fans of epic fantasy as it is for those who love really incredible historical novels.

Hild is Griffith’s attempt to write a fictionalised biography of the real-life Hild, a woman who lived in Britain during the Middle Ages and became both the most powerful woman of her time and one of the most influential women in British history, full stop. The daughter of a dead king and niece to a man who would make himself Overking, Hild is born with an incredible intelligence that builds her a reputation as a seer – one who is never mistaken. This makes her a valuable player in the seventh-century game of thrones (sorry, I had to!) where numerous British factions are at war with each other – and a new religion, that of the Christ, is beginning to get a hold on the country…

Does that sound dull? It isn’t dull. Nor do you have to worry (as I did) if you don’t know anything about the time period: Griffith has done a ridiculous amount of research into every possible aspect of seventh-century life in Britain, and without ever using the dreaded info-dump introduces the reader to a world completely different to our own. In fact, the first few pages can be a little overwhelming at times, but that smooths out very quickly and there’s a very handy glossary at the back of the book for the occasional quick reference.

So in that, it reads like the best kind of secondary-world fantasy – a wholly new culture, people, and even language for you to jump into. But as much as I adore world-building, there are many other aspects of the novel that I enjoyed even more. One was the frank discussion of female sexuality; Christianity is very new to Britain at the start of the book, and the assorted Brits aren’t yet prudes. When Hild’s friend Begu falls in lust for the first time, her description of her feelings is one of the best of its kind I’ve ever read:
Begu reached for Hild’s hand, laid it on her belly. “Here. That’s where I feel it. It’s like… It makes me feel wild as the autumn and nervous as a kitten, and the world is big and new. I smell everything, I hear everything, and inside I feel… It’s like, I feel like a leaf on a river pouring over a fall – I’m being hurried along, then sucked under. I look at his arms and his shoulders and I’m drowning. I want to lick them, I want to gnaw at them like a teething puppy. No, not like a puppy, like a wolf. I want to tear him apart, eat him up. You can’t stop teeth from growing. I can’t wait years.”

As is the moment when Hild puts her own sexual awakening into words, even though hers isn’t yet directed at any one person:
Hild…tried to tell her mother of the restlessness that rose like the tide, the formless longings, the dreams, the sleeplessness, the strange distance of the world, the urge to play with danger, to touch something she couldn’t reach. “It’s like…like climbing a great ash tree, higher and higher, and the boughs are bending, and I’m reaching, reaching for something, and part of me knows the bough will break, but I don’t care. I want it. I just don’t know what it is.”

There’s beautifully no-nonsense talk about female masturbation, as well, which Griffith gets mega points from me for (I can only name two other books that do so, and how many of us ever heard it discussed in sex ed.?)
“Today we need to sort you. You’re a danger to yourself and others.” She looked up. “Have you started touching yourself? …Next time you feel…restless, try it. It will help you sleep.”

Maybe that sounds like too much information to some people – but I would suggest you stop and consider why that is. The world likes to pretend that women don’t have sexual feelings, or else have too many; in Hild’s world, at least, sex and sexual urges are seen as perfectly natural and healthy (as they should be). The only concern for Hild is keeping her position as seer secure – or, in her mother’s words
“If they’re not your equal, they don’t matter, you will be seen to be you, still.”

Avoiding gossip is important; avoiding pregnancy, even more so. Thus, Hild’s mother advises her to sleep with her bodywoman, or female slave.

Why yes, there does happen to be LGBT content in this book. I was surprised too! Although I shouldn’t have been; it’s a pretty accepted historical fact that whenever women are cloistered away together with no men, or when pregnancy is not an acceptable risk, lesbianism runs rampant (such as in the Arabic harems or, apparently, in the women’s quarters of British lords). Another pleasant surprise was that Hild, and those around her, don’t label any of it; men marry women, but sexuality itself is wordless and very fluid. Although it’s pretty clear by the end of the novel that Hild herself is bisexual as we modern readers would understand it, no one thinks in terms of natural inclination. There are no boxes to put people into; people just love, and express that in varying ways. It’s a very simple, but very beautiful and effective approach to sexuality.

But without question, it’s the writing itself that makes Hild stand out as something truly special. Griffith is a sorceress with the written word; aside from the intricate plots that make this novel Game of Thrones without the dragons, Griffith’s description alone is enough to make you weep. In just a few words she can create the most perfect picture; her writing is evocative, lush, and gorgeous.
It glistened with fish eggs, perfect as the most delicate pearls on the queen’s veil. They shimmered with moonlit glamour, droplets of dreams.

She was brown and cream and tawny, like a lynx.

mist rose from the river, cool and smelling of secrets.

chased by whippets of wind

In short, Hild is an absolute masterpiece, and I’m unspeakably glad and relieved that Griffith has promised at least two sequels. If only she’d write faster, because I really can’t wait to dive back into Hild’s world.
Apr 22nd, 2014, 10:27 am
Apr 22nd, 2014, 11:42 am
Excellent. From one review to the next, ever better.

re your comment...
If only she’d write faster

Nicola suffers from muscular dystrophy. (Or multiple sclerosis. Sorry, I forget which.) It helps explain in some measure why her writing pace has slowed the past few years.

Hild was a project from way back when, one she promised herself she would write for many years, a true labor of love. And it shows. Sweet that it receives such glowing reviews... +1 more.

Thank you.
Apr 22nd, 2014, 11:42 am

I am on medical leave, away from home and my files. Please hold your re-upload requests for my return, ~15 May 2024.

Thank you.
Apr 22nd, 2014, 2:04 pm
Gah! Thank you so much! ^^

And I did not know that at all D: I completely take it back. Really, I don't care HOW long the next book takes, so long as it comes. I can't stand people who badger authors about writing faster - it's one thing in a review, as an expression of 'dear lord I loved this book', but proper badgering... Like all the George Martin hate over how long it took him to write Dance With Dragons: completely unacceptable...

But yes, I LOVED this one! Just finished it today and immediately had to share how awesome it is!
Apr 22nd, 2014, 2:04 pm
Apr 23rd, 2014, 1:51 pm
Thanks a lot for this great review...
Apr 23rd, 2014, 1:51 pm

I do not reupload books I posted in Requests section. Please request again.
Apr 24th, 2014, 3:43 am
This is a great review. I saw this one and promptly forgot all about it, it's now back on the TBR pile...
Apr 24th, 2014, 3:43 am
Apr 24th, 2014, 6:20 am
Thanks! ^^ And I'm glad to hear that - in case it wasn't obvious, I loved this one! More people ought to read it.
Apr 24th, 2014, 6:20 am
Apr 24th, 2014, 4:56 pm
I just looked up to find more about Hild and this author and I found this video and bio of the author on Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/videos/55104-talking-about-hild

First off, she is a lesbian (not surprising with all the great writing about women having sex you spoke of in the book! I myself am not, but hey IMO good sex is good sex and good writing is good writing no matter who's having it or doing it) and next, as I watched the video I thought....is it me or does she look eerily like the cover art of Hild right next to her head?!?

I can't wait to read it, and if I like it, I will surely buy it. I'm a sucker for a good cover and a good backstory (and good sex as well)
Apr 24th, 2014, 4:56 pm
Apr 24th, 2014, 5:17 pm
mstigerlily wrote:I'm a sucker for a good cover and a good backstory (and good sex as well)

Honestly, who's not? :mrgreen:
Apr 24th, 2014, 5:17 pm

I do not reupload books I posted in Requests section. Please request again.
Apr 24th, 2014, 5:37 pm
jonas007 wrote:Honestly, who's not? :mrgreen:

Haha, well one would hope we all are fans of good sex, but sadly, after reading the 50 Shades of Grey series and talking to a bunch of fangirls who love the book, I think we must all have very different definitions of "good sex".

The book referenced here, Hild sounds like just the ticket in that department (at least for me), plus having the bonus of being well written and historically significant and interesting!
Apr 24th, 2014, 5:37 pm
Apr 25th, 2014, 11:37 am
mstigerlily, I agree re 'good sex' completely. 50 Shades paints a really terrifying picture of a sexual relationship, imo, which is why I'm so glad to see books like Hild! Which really gets it right; I haven't seen such a great handling of sexuality in ages.

I was zooming to amazon to buy myself a copy almost before I'd finished the last page! Really hope you end up liking it :D
Apr 25th, 2014, 11:37 am
Apr 28th, 2014, 1:15 pm
Fantastic review, such glowing praise has now pushed Hild right up to the top of my TBR list. I adore books with LGBT themes and this is a nice step away from my usual genres, so it's a little bit of a boundary-pusher for me. Thanks for the great review, can't wait to get started with it now!
Apr 28th, 2014, 1:15 pm