Apr 19th, 2014, 12:21 pm

TITLE: The Goblin Emperor
AUTHOR: Sarah Monette as Katherine Addison
GENRE: Fantasy
PUBLISHED: 01/04/2014
RATING: ★★★★★
PURCHASE LINKS: Amazon
MOBILISM LINK: Mobilism

Review: Sarah Monette is probably most well-known for her Doctrine of Labyrinths quartet, featuring the gay wizard Felix Harrogate and his criminal brother Mildmay, and the series of intrigue-laden plots the two become embroiled in. (I recommend those to your attention heartily, by the way, as the series is excellent).

Now, under the pen name Katherine Addison, she's turned her hand to a very different kind of fantasy without losing any of her incredible skill at world-building. Full disclosure: I'm a world-building addict, and I will not hesitate to give a book two stars because its world was unbelievable or not well thought out, no matter how fantastic the plots or characters. Well, that wasn't a problem here. Monette has thought of everything, and it's enough to make an addict like myself weep with joy; the politics; the geography; the fashion; the language; the religion; and then she does it all over again for the neighbouring goblin kingdom.

Because despite the title, the book is not actually set in the goblin kingdom. Maia, the main character, becomes Emperor of the elves when his father and older brothers all perish in a airship accident (steampunk fans will enjoy themselves, but those who do not like steampunk, like myself, won't be overwhelmed by the science mixed in with the magic, so don't worry) but almost no one is happy about it. Maia, you see, is half-goblin. And that’s where a great deal of the problems he faces stem from.

I won’t go into the issues Maia has to deal with, but I have to say that this is not your traditional fantasy. Far from being a country farm boy, Maia is at least superficially prepared for court; he’s not completely clueless. The plot itself doesn’t behave the way fantasy fans will expect it to; there’s no big bad enemy, and no war for Maia to fight. That doesn’t at all mean things don’t happen, or that it isn’t extremely exciting at times, but the ‘battle’ Maia faces is one without swords. In that, it’s far more realistic, despite the elves and the goblins, then almost any fantasy novel you’d care to name. This is a book about politics and social justice and negotiating the unbelievably complicated sea of government, but I repeat: it’s not slow. The beautiful writing is a pleasure to read all by itself -
The mooring mast of the Untheileneise Court was a jeweled spire in the sunlight.

Instead of combs and tashin sticks, his hair was caught in an elaborate silver webbing with tiny diamonds at every node, and a veil over it so fine it almost wasn’t there.

– but it’s the characters and plots (yes, plots plural) that kept me hooked until the very last page. Monette works wonders with even the most minor characters, and often manages to convey a wealth of information with just a few short lines. Such as this moment featuring one of the female characters of the book, and probably my favourite bit of dialogue in the whole thing (you really need the full context to understand just how wonderful a moment this is, but I daren’t spoil you, so,) -
They stared at each other; then she dropped a curtsy and said, “No, we need not encumber you. We wished merely to see for ourself that you are unharmed. Good night, Serenity.” She took two strides, then turned back to say, sharp and sudden, a sword sliding out of a scabbard, “We would have gutted him, if he were not already dead.”

I want to make a point of Monette and her exploration of certain themes and issues. In the Doctrine books, she touches on the issues of incest, rape and consent (and not just in a sexual context); here, she manages to subvert the trope wherein fantasy as a genre is hopelessly sexist. Besides once again finding a place for homosexuality in her story (kudos to her; representation matters, oh yes it does) and examining numerous political ideologies (including the effectiveness and worthiness of the traditional fantasy monarchy), she writes a patriarchal society while still managing to have several fully three-dimensional female characters of all calibres. I want to highlight this, because so many fantasy novels (and science fiction ones) have vanishingly few female characters when they have any at all – and rarely are they more than a love interest or a death meant to push the main, straight-white-male character on with his quest. The argument is that most fantasy takes place in quasi-Medieval European settings, and ‘women weren’t around then’. Any real historian will tell you that’s rubbish, and it’s wonderful to see Monette taking this to heart and proving that there’s no reason you can’t have a ‘traditional’ fantasy setting and still have wonderful female characters.

But then it was over, at which point I mourned the fact that this will probably be a stand-alone, and not the start of a long and excellent series.

Oh well. I’ll just have to go back and reread all Monette’s other novels, and hope it won’t be too long until her next!
Apr 19th, 2014, 12:21 pm
May 25th, 2014, 6:01 am
This is not a book I would have picked up normally, but it sounds intriguing, and your stellar review even more so. I tend to read contemporary fiction, but lately I have gone out of my comfort zone with While Beauty Slept (a fairy tale retold) and The Girl With All The Gifts (a zombie apocalypse story) and gave them both five stars, was delighted. And now, you have made this book sound irresistible. It is on my TBR pile!
May 25th, 2014, 6:01 am
May 25th, 2014, 6:27 pm
I'm so happy to hear it! I really loved this one (which I suppose is obvious XD) and I really hope you enjoy it too!

Thank you for the lovely words :D
May 25th, 2014, 6:27 pm
Dec 22nd, 2016, 1:41 pm
Well, I do need to read a couple more books to hit my Goodreads challenge and this looks like a worthy candidate. Thanks for the review, especially the part about steampunk (which I more often than not don't enjoy too much)
Dec 22nd, 2016, 1:41 pm
Dec 31st, 2016, 4:49 am
It's a wonderful book. Though I had to appreciate it for being a stand-alone single volume.
Definitely worth a reread.
Dec 31st, 2016, 4:49 am
Mar 9th, 2017, 3:13 am
This is such a great book! It ticked a lot of boxes for me, and the cover art is fascinating. If there is ever a follow up book, I will search it out and read on the spot.
Mar 9th, 2017, 3:13 am
Jun 14th, 2017, 10:52 pm
I actually thought the world building was a bit spotty, especially anything to do with the different races that separated them from bog standard humans was glossed over. There was maybe one mention of elves living for over a century and consequences of that extended life span were never addressed, there were a few bits and bobs about magic very late in the story but again there was no depths too it, the different racial features were maybe referenced in a word or two, once a chapter.

Honestly, once I finished I felt like the author had written a book about maybe an alternate universe Renaissance European empire and then after she had finished decided to change the setting to steampunk and fantasy and did a very superficial job of it.

It was a nice story about an unwanted prince suddenly thrust forward to take the throne but a world building triumph it was not.
Jun 14th, 2017, 10:52 pm
Aug 12th, 2017, 10:50 pm
I saw this on a bookstore once and wasn't too interested, though now I may give it a read whenever I have free time since it seems to be decent.
Aug 12th, 2017, 10:50 pm
Aug 15th, 2017, 1:03 am
I enjoyed it, a breath of fresh air from the usual bloated 3-, 5- 7-books epic fantasies.
Aug 15th, 2017, 1:03 am