Feb 15th, 2016, 11:54 pm
I'm having trouble finding a free DRM removal service. So far, I've found two pieces of software (eBook DRM removal and Kindle DRM removal, but both only offer a demo that has a small amount of eBooks it can convert before you have to pay quite a bit of money for the full version. I've also tried using Calibre, but it's unable to export anything due to the DRM protection. I tried to convert the actual file stored in the Calibre library but, again, I can't do anything because of the DRM.

I would really rather not pay $15 or $30 for a service if I can get it for free, so I'm really hoping that someone has an alternative they can offer me.

Also, I use a Mac, so I would appreciate it if people only recommended software/websites/etc that my OS can use.
Feb 15th, 2016, 11:54 pm

Please hit the Thank You button if you like my ebook releases! It's much appreciated.
Feb 28th, 2016, 10:12 pm
Does anyone have any advice?
Feb 28th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Please hit the Thank You button if you like my ebook releases! It's much appreciated.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 1:09 am
I remember reading your post before but not responding because you use a Mac and I haven't worked on one of those in 10 years or so.

I use Calibre on my PC - there's a de-DRM plug-in which automatically strips DRM when I add the book to Calibre. I use it all the time and have had no issues with it. If you are able to use Calibre on your Mac, you might check out that plug-in. Hopefully they have a Mac version as well.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 1:09 am

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Mar 2nd, 2016, 2:28 pm
Fizban
Where can I find the Calibre de-DRM plug-in?
Is it easy for a person with no computer experience (me) to apply?
Mar 2nd, 2016, 2:28 pm
Mar 2nd, 2016, 4:31 pm
rosanna1969 wrote:Fizban

It's easy to install and use provided you can follow instructions. :)

I should start off by saying that this is not recognized as an official Calibre plug-in so it doesn't come up as one of the options when you click the "Get New Plugins" link in Calibre.

The link to get the latest version of the files (updated in January) is

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

This will download a zipfile to your system. Inside the zipfile are several folders depending on how you want to use the plugin - for Calibre, for Mac, for Windows, etc. Click the Readme_first.txt file initially to get started.

There is a bit of jargon but essentially it tells you to extract the calibre plugin folder to your HDD, read the textfile inside it, and follow those instructions. Then all you have to do is start Calibre and follow the instructions under "Installation" and you're done. Once it's installed, you can customize it to your own needs.

I've only worked with this program within Calibre, though there are standalone versions included in the zipfile. Anyone wanting to use those is on their own. :)

P.S. To go back to Silvermoon424 - According to the readme, the Calibre plug-in does work on both Mac and PC.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 4:31 pm

- Mark Twain
Mar 2nd, 2016, 9:47 pm
Thank you Fizban. I'll try it out.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 9:47 pm
Mar 3rd, 2016, 3:08 am
I can vouch for Apprentice Alf. I've been using their DeDRM Application for Mac for years and love it!
Mar 3rd, 2016, 3:08 am

Use the new request button if the links to my posts are down.

All request WRZ will be refunded so please click the Thank You button at no cost to you and enjoy! :)
Mar 3rd, 2016, 8:23 pm
Thank you to everyone for all the advice! I've been using the DeDRM Application and it works like a charm!

Also, I think it would be a good idea to have information on DRM removal in an FAQ somewhere. Apprentice Alf didn't show up in my Google results even though they were the best option.
Mar 3rd, 2016, 8:23 pm

Mar 3rd, 2016, 9:30 pm
Glad to hear it's working out so well. :)

I know what you mean about the lack of info on it. I was actually introduced to it via another forum I used to frequent and until I researched it for you I had not realized it wasn't considered an official Calibre plug-in.

Of course, at the time I originally grabbed it, you couldn't just click a single "Get New Plug-ins" button but had to go to a forum where they listed all of the plug-ins and provided links to each plug-in's forum to grab them. I find it amazing that it still worked on every books I'd tried it on without having been updated for at least 3 years.
Mar 3rd, 2016, 9:30 pm

- Mark Twain
May 23rd, 2017, 11:58 pm
Fizban wrote:Glad to hear it's working out so well. :)

I know what you mean about the lack of info on it. I was actually introduced to it via another forum I used to frequent and until I researched it for you I had not realized it wasn't considered an official Calibre plug-in.

Of course, at the time I originally grabbed it, you couldn't just click a single "Get New Plug-ins" button but had to go to a forum where they listed all of the plug-ins and provided links to each plug-in's forum to grab them. I find it amazing that it still worked on every books I'd tried it on without having been updated for at least 3 years.

Having registered myself here a few minutes ago for the sole purpose of solving the DRM dilemma, it is perhaps appropriate that I make this my debut forum post.

While searching for a way to remove the DRM restrictions and subsequently convert from ePub to PDF, I found various recommendations for the DeDRM tool (plugin), however the claims (recommending the ease of use of DeDRM) came in the form of pages/material which was anything but reassuringly safe & secure. To this end you guys/gals have sufficiently convinced me to go forward with the downloading & installation of DeDRM for use with Calibre.

Regarding your amazement for the tools' successful longevity, it may very well be attributed to the author's ongoing dedication to keep the toll up to date - the version I just downloaded, (v-6.5.3), shows a release date of 12-January, 2017.
May 23rd, 2017, 11:58 pm
May 24th, 2017, 4:18 am
iOnlyGotOneArm wrote:Regarding your amazement for the tools' successful longevity, it may very well be attributed to the author's ongoing dedication to keep the toll up to date - the version I just downloaded, (v-6.5.3), shows a release date of 12-January, 2017.

True, but at the time I was making my original post, I hadn't updated the plug-in for 3 years and yet it was still working on every book I used it on - that was why I was amazed. I've been keeping it up to date since then and still have had no problems at all.

I'm glad to hear that we sold you on the tool though - it's definitely userfriendly, even if the readme isn't. :lol:
May 24th, 2017, 4:18 am

- Mark Twain
Jun 14th, 2017, 11:09 am
Fizban wrote:
rosanna1969 wrote:Fizban

It's easy to install and use provided you can follow instructions. :)

I should start off by saying that this is not recognized as an official Calibre plug-in so it doesn't come up as one of the options when you click the "Get New Plugins" link in Calibre.

The link to get the latest version of the files (updated in January) is

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

This will download a zipfile to your system. Inside the zipfile are several folders depending on how you want to use the plugin - for Calibre, for Mac, for Windows, etc. Click the Readme_first.txt file initially to get started.

There is a bit of jargon but essentially it tells you to extract the calibre plugin folder to your HDD, read the textfile inside it, and follow those instructions. Then all you have to do is start Calibre and follow the instructions under "Installation" and you're done. Once it's installed, you can customize it to your own needs.

I've only worked with this program within Calibre, though there are standalone versions included in the zipfile. Anyone wanting to use those is on their own. :)

P.S. To go back to Silvermoon424 - According to the readme, the Calibre plug-in does work on both Mac and PC.

Thank you! I am going to try this out.
Jun 14th, 2017, 11:09 am

Raaaawr.
Jun 15th, 2017, 12:01 am
Hi. Looks like there's an updated version; I can't tell if its from Apprentice Alf or not. I haven't tried it as the older version I have works fine. I imagine its old news but "Update on Mar. 5th, 2017: If you’ve updated Kindle for PC/Mac to version 1.19 and later, you may get books downloaded with .kfx format. At the moment, no tool can remove DRM from .kfx books or convert them. The solution is installing Kindle for PC/Mac 1.17, with the old version you can still download books with .azw format."
Jun 15th, 2017, 12:01 am
Jun 15th, 2017, 12:42 am
AFAIK, the only real issue with downloading a new book available in kfx format with the older version of Kindle for PC in .azw format is that the "enhanced type" won't work with the .azw format. *shrug* I've yet to see any value to that so-called feature anyway so I'll continue to use the older version for as long as I can.
Jun 15th, 2017, 12:42 am

- Mark Twain
Sep 13th, 2017, 4:08 pm
Apprentice Alf - This works for me ... Real Good in my opinion ...
Sep 13th, 2017, 4:08 pm