Sep 24th, 2012, 11:03 pm
my sister bought the kindle touch and thus i was able to use it too a couple of times and i have to say, it's pretty neat. if can ignore the facts that it's e-ink (no color --yet) and has no light integrated (needs an external light source) unlike the nook glowlight.

i believe i might just wait for the kindle paperwhite to come to the market..
although i'm still eying the new kobos as possible choices.
Sep 24th, 2012, 11:03 pm
Sep 29th, 2012, 9:05 pm
i had a nook its died in 2 weeks
went to kindle had no issues and going 1 year +
Sep 29th, 2012, 9:05 pm
Sep 30th, 2012, 10:10 pm
I have a Kobo and I love it! I've tried other e-readers but the Kobo Touch is my favourite by far. Not the Kobo Vox though, as it's practically a tablet.
Sep 30th, 2012, 10:10 pm
Oct 1st, 2012, 3:01 pm
I have a Kindle Keyboard. I love it and I haven't had any issues with it. Calibre does all the conversions for me when I need them and then sends it where I want it. I like the eInk screen for long reading periods better than say a laptop or phone screen. Though I do use my Android phone for reading when bringing or having my Kindle is impractical. I also have an Ipod touch that I have used but I find it is more difficult to get the books onto it since you have to use iTunes (which I think is utter crap, slow and bloated blech). My Android phone works great too, but like I said, eink is far superior for long reading periods. And I haven't had to stop reading to charge yet. Nor have I had to plug in my kindle and read while it was charging.
I haven't used other ereaders and if I found a decent one that read epubs natively for a really good price I probably would buy one just to complement the Kindle, but I haven't found a book yet that I couldn't put on the kindle. And their native store is really solid.

So yeah my two cents...

Edit: compliment vs complement
Oct 1st, 2012, 3:01 pm
Oct 2nd, 2012, 6:22 pm
I have a Kobo Touch. Coming up for a year on, I've had no problems with it really. The earlier software was a little glitchy sometimes (but never with the reading part) but Kobo have since fixed everything. The Kobo desktop software is a bit useless, but it works like a charm with Calibre. I've played around with a Kindle, and I just love how much simpler Kobos are. There aren't really any bells and whistles; it's just a reading machine, which is exactly what I want. If I wanted word processing or whatever else, I'd buy a tablet.
Oct 2nd, 2012, 6:22 pm
Oct 3rd, 2012, 7:20 am
I have a Kindle Touch. I love it! I've tried other e-readers but the kindle is my favourite by far!
Oct 3rd, 2012, 7:20 am
Oct 3rd, 2012, 8:02 am
I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I've tried a few e-readers, so I'll have at it. I had a Kindle, 2nd generation, for years, which I had a love/hate relationship with. Reading a single book off it was great (or so I thought at the time); however, the directory structure (or lack of) and the lack of microSD expansion slot was enraging (both were deliberate marketing -> design choices, as other companies had made these standard). I basically had to load on a few books at a time, to keep some semblance of order, which meant being tethered to my PC. The meta-data was quirky, and the dictionary slow and uninspired. I did like the hard page turn buttons, unlike the later versions.

I finally broke down and purchased a large format reader, the PocketBook Pro 912, so I could read PDF's and textbooks. I owned it for two days, then resold it. It was sluggish (read: so slow I often wondered if the device had stopped working), quirky and a real hassle to use.

My last stop was the Nook Glow, rooted to Android. While it's not perfect, it's the closest to perfect that I have found. I can now read any format- any. I have the desired directory structure, and the space to hold my entire collection. The dictionary is superior to the Kindle, and is a different Universe from the PocketBook. I even have an app that lets me drag large format PDF's around like a tablet, with no refreshing, letting me read Textbooks, Magazines and such (not ideal, but usable). The font options are generous, and the zooming is easy and useful. If I can't get a book to "feel right", i just pop over to Android and use one of the many other e-book readers that I have installed. The option for hard and soft page turns is nice, and it even lets you play with the keybinding. And the glow light makes reading in bed ideal.

Now, had I not rooted the Nook, I might still like it, but, without the added versatility I now have, it wouldn't be nearly "cure-all" that it is.
Oct 3rd, 2012, 8:02 am
Oct 4th, 2012, 12:30 am
Kobo just released three new e-readers! There's the Kobo mini, Kobo glo (with back light!!!!!) and their "tablet" Kobo Arc.

I have the original Kobo and I was going to upgrade to the touch but but the Kobo Glo is just too tempting. Finally, back light!
Oct 4th, 2012, 12:30 am
Oct 4th, 2012, 3:13 pm
Yes, the Kobo Glo looks great! I've only had my Kobo Touch for 10 months, but I am sorely tempted!
Oct 4th, 2012, 3:13 pm
Oct 11th, 2012, 1:48 pm
I got Amazon Kindle and I love it and I hope I'll get the Touch Screen one for my birthday.
Oct 11th, 2012, 1:48 pm
Oct 13th, 2012, 1:44 am
I also have a Kindle Keyboard and love it. Been using it for over a year now and never had a problem with it. We bought my daughter a Kindle 4. It's great if you just want a cheep Kindle ($69) with no extras. She never had a problem with hers until put it in her backpack and broke the screen. It was still under warranty and Amazon replaced it with no questions asked. Calibre is a terrific free program if you are going to download books from here. I wish I had found it years ago.
Oct 13th, 2012, 1:44 am
Oct 18th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Has anyone tried the Kobo Glo? I'm thinking about buying one and I would like to hear what it's like.

I have been using the Sony PRS300 for over two years now, and it still works fine (and I read a lot!), but I'm ready for something a little more advanced/sophisticated. 8) I had a look at my friend's ("old") Kobo and I liked the feel of it. The light on the Glo is also very tempting, since I like to read in bed and in the (sometimes pretty dark) train.
Oct 18th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Oct 18th, 2012, 4:06 pm
I've got the Kobo Glo. I bought it despite only buying a Sony PRS-T1 last year. But it's money well spent.

There's no disputing that the dictionaries are not quite up to the ones supplied with the Sony, but in every other respect its either equal or better imho.

The Glo screen works fantastically. Not perfectly to some maybe, but certainly better than any other lighting I've seen used on an ereader.

Battery life is adequate at a month.

The new higher definition screen makes reading even more of a pleasure.

I've not picked up my Sony since I opened the Glo.

I'd say buy one, you won't regret it :)
Oct 18th, 2012, 4:06 pm

If you see a link of mine has gone 'down', then feel free to replace the link as I may no longer have the original file.
Oct 20th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Thanks, feenix!

I think I already made up my mind, even before you replied. :)
Now I need to find a (web)shop selling the Glo. They seem to be sold out everywhere! :evil:
Oct 20th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Oct 20th, 2012, 10:45 pm
I use my Android cellphone and fbreader
I like the size of my phone (Samsung Nexus S) with 4 inch screen and fbreader allows me to easily change the brightness (swipe the left side of the screen) and text size.
I considered an e-reader/kindle/tablet etc... but that would be one more device for me to carry. Using my phone allows me to read at work during lunch break without having to worry about the storing a tablet sized device since the phone goes in my pocket.
Oct 20th, 2012, 10:45 pm