Aug 2nd, 2011, 5:59 pm
Hi there,
I'm thinking about buying an e-readers ... I'm more or less fed up with iBooks - I've already tried my firends Kindle but didn't really like it - well, the reading was ok.

Now after looking through various sites on the net I found an alternative NOOK.

1. What do you think about it? Is it really worth the money?!?

2. What kind of e-readers do you use?
Aug 2nd, 2011, 5:59 pm
Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:17 pm
If you are not in America, the Nook won't do you any good. I personally wouldn't want one due to their poor customer service reputation. I really like my Kindle, but I also have a Jetbook, which is a very nice machine which will read about every format (except lit). Another alternative is the Kobo Touch, I haven't handled one but I think it looks good, and I would get that before I'd get a Nook.
Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:17 pm
Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:49 pm
Thanks for your reply - I've never heard of Jetbook or Kobo but when I google the later I noticed that they will release a European version of that reader in August - maybe I should wait to get my hands on that one instead.
Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:49 pm
Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:56 pm
I have a kindle and it is one of the best things I bought in the last few years!

I heard that a new model of Sony e-reader is on its way, and then you can also check the "iRiver Story HD with Google Books" which is similar in shape to the kindle and has more dpi (dots per inch) than the kindle.

I suggest you to go on youtube and check some compared reviews of the readers you're interested in.

But, imho, with the kindle you never go wrong ;)
Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:56 pm
Aug 2nd, 2011, 9:13 pm
I looked at a few and ended up going with the KOBO wifi.

I wasn't interested in the "bells & whistles", just wanted something as close to a real book as I could get, that had a good battery life and used the epub format.
The 2 week (or 8,000 page turn) battery life is great, free epubs plentiful, intuitive to use and once I mounted it in a leather case it was very easy to hold.
The supplied software is next to useless, but Calibre (free) is a wonderful program to manage it with.

The only minor annoyance is no light, solved by buying a $2 reading light to clip onto my leather cover

Cheers
Skiwi
Aug 2nd, 2011, 9:13 pm
Aug 5th, 2011, 6:46 am
I have a Nook color and wouldn't change it for the world. I do live in the US but have friends overseas that have found several easy ways around the restrictions of downloading books from B&N. ( Just Google it.) The reason I chose to go with the Nook color was.. it supports several different types of files (Calibre takes care of the rest), it has SD memory expansion, very easy file transfer with USB cable, has an Adroid based browser. Overseas it will read all the files you already own on your computer, anything you purchase or download from another site that isn't protected can be side loaded (using the USB cord) or placed on a SD card. I don't purchase from B&N since I don't believe their discounts or choice for the digital material offered is worth it. I have had mine since it was released and have not had to use their customer service, I've done my upgrades manually and any questions can be answered in online forums. :)
Aug 5th, 2011, 6:46 am
Aug 10th, 2011, 1:58 pm
I have a nook color as well and love it. I am in the US though. And the customer service has been great - my first one had an issue with the volume buttons and they replaced it no problems. I rooted it so that I can download whatever android apps I want and not the crap ones that barnes and noble charges you for. Very very happy with it. I read more on the nook than my ipad - the ipad is just too "big" in my hands to feel like a book to me.

I would think if you root the nook and are downloading in other ways that it won't matter that barnes and noble makes it hard to dl books outside of the us.....
Aug 10th, 2011, 1:58 pm
Sep 10th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Not the Nook
I have the original Nook, buggy, crashes all the time, frequent lockups, battery often flat overnight.
Directly they brought out a new model, all support for the original dropped.

The Kindle can go for a month without a flat battery.
I just bought one, and it's far superior.

Battery life (constant use)
Nook 12hrs
Nook colour 12hrs
Kindle 3 30hrs

Android Tablet
If you want one why not get the Asus Icona, $330 on Amazon, Can run Kindle app, has USB ports, 10" display.
Don't get a Nook colour, $250 for a half assed tablet when you can get the real deal for a little bit more.
Sep 10th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Oct 7th, 2011, 8:26 pm
I'm in Canada, and I bought a Nook and loved it. It's true that it is a little time consuming to get "nookbooks", but I've set it up with a US address (from a friend who lives there) and I can order books using my canadian credit card.

Plus it is super easy to sideload ebooks into "My Documents" via USB.

Also my Nook has never crashed and the battery life is pretty good, imho.
Oct 7th, 2011, 8:26 pm
Oct 8th, 2011, 1:22 am
I have a Kindle which i love for its ability to be put in my purse and packed around easily...
That said.. I use the iPad alot more for reading... it has the kindle, nook and iBook apps on it plus can read PDF books.. My 7 year old also reads alot on the iPad.
Oct 8th, 2011, 1:22 am
Oct 8th, 2011, 4:50 am
samylaine wrote:I have a Kindle which i love for its ability to be put in my purse and packed around easily...
That said.. I use the iPad alot more for reading... it has the kindle, nook and iBook apps on it plus can read PDF books.. My 7 year old also reads alot on the iPad.

I have two 3yos and they love the iPad too. It's amazing how easy it is for kids to use. I've put lots of picture books on my iPad for my boys.
Oct 8th, 2011, 4:50 am
Oct 8th, 2011, 5:22 am
Being in Canada I purchased the Kobo Touch and absolutely LOVE it! It does everything I need it to do and plays real friendly with calibre :) After a week of having it my husband broke down and bought one too since I wouldn't let him touch mine with his grubby little paws :)))
Oct 8th, 2011, 5:22 am

please DO NOT PM ME WITH REPOSTS as I am inactive as an ebook releaser as of 2014. Thank you
Oct 18th, 2011, 4:16 pm
Wondergirl or anyone, I would be interested in knowing a litle more about the Kobo Touch E-Reader. I have searched the reviews and specs everywhere on the net but there are a number of questions that simply are not answered.
1) references are made to an on screen keyboard. Is this simply for net browsing etc or can you do some simple word processing with it and save the file?
2)Although the batteries should last a long time, and I assume they are li-ion, when they die can they be changed by the user or is it a send back to manufacturer job?
3) Is there a backlight for low illumination reading?
4) How long does it take to recharge?
5) Does anyone know anything bad about it?

It is possible that I may have missed some of the above hidden somewhere.
Oct 18th, 2011, 4:16 pm

sherlockx The Eternal Trickster
Oct 19th, 2011, 12:25 am
1/so far i've only used it for online browsing..but, i wouldn't recommend any ereader for surfing personally, that's why we have computers/laptops/tablets :) I can't answer about the word processing but I think it's a no answer on that one.

2/ send to manufacturer

3/ no backlight, but attachable lights are inexpensive :)

4/ About two hours i think, i never let mine go totally dead tho

5/ The only niggling little thing they haven't sent an update out for yet is:
sometimes..and not very often they tend to skip a page (a mind of their own) LOL it's something they know about, and I am guessing they are working on having an update for that soon.
Oct 19th, 2011, 12:25 am

please DO NOT PM ME WITH REPOSTS as I am inactive as an ebook releaser as of 2014. Thank you
Oct 19th, 2011, 2:55 am
I don't own a reader, I have 4 other ways of reading my books -3 of them while I'm in the toilet if I want to-but if I did wanted one I'd get one of the new kindles. Someone I met at the mall let me check his out, it seemed pretty nifty, 3G and all.

On the other hand, I picked up my year old macbook for next to nothing ($250.00) at the recycle store-the money goes to charity too!- and it does a whole lot more than a kindle for a bit more money. And I don't have to worry about a light either. After buying the macbook the iPad seemed a bit extravagant. I still love it tho. If you want to save some money, I'd check into buying a recycled or refurbished tablet -any kind, really- before buying just a reader.
Oct 19th, 2011, 2:55 am

Image Image