Apr 28th, 2016, 7:04 am
Hi to all those YA lovers !
I'm an avid reader myself, and prefer the YA genre. I noticed that after the boom of dystopian novels in YA, slowly we have a rise of fantasy. 1 in every 3 books is fantasy
Lets take the example of April
Skyligher by Becky Wallace ( Sequel to Storyspinner )
Fear My Mortality by Everly Frost
The Star Touched Queen by Roshani Choksi
Rebel of the Sands by Alywyn Hamilton

And so many more............

What do you think ?
Apr 28th, 2016, 7:04 am
Apr 28th, 2016, 8:57 am
I think both of them have a big market in the YA world today, but fantasy seems to definitely be at every turn. Dystopian novels have certainly been on the rise with movie franchises lately, but fantasy is all around in YA books. It seems there are shifter books everywhere, as well as anything supernatural/paranormal. Fantasy is such a broad term that many ideas can fall under it. Perhaps it seems like fantasy is more prevalent in books because authors have a lot more that they can imagine up in the category. I'm not sure if there has been more of a rise in fantasy since dystopian novels, or perhaps just YA stories in general have started booming lately. Whatever the reason for the rise, I'm just grateful to have plenty of YA fantasy and dystopian novels to choose from.
Apr 28th, 2016, 8:57 am
Apr 28th, 2016, 10:09 am
" Whatever the reason for the rise, I'm just grateful to have plenty of YA fantasy and dystopian novels to choose from".

Totally agree there is contemporary fantasy, historical fantasy, dysopia/fantasy and supernatural - so much !
just wish there was a way to sort out the books you like before reading :) lol
Apr 28th, 2016, 10:09 am
Sep 9th, 2016, 6:51 am
I think publishers jump on trends until they have been exhausted, like supernatural/vampire fiction, and then dystopian and now fantasy. I like having choice but there are so many that read like the 5 books before them, makes it hard to choose which books to buy and spend your time on.
Sep 9th, 2016, 6:51 am
Jan 14th, 2017, 5:29 am
I know I'm late on this, but I'm wondering with the recent trends in politics acting as they have (in a Let's Not Discuss Politics vague commentary way), part of me wonders if the dystopian novel will make a comeback. Personally, I'm hoping things trend toward science fiction at some point. Most fantasy and science fiction I read growing up certainly wasn't written to be expressly YA, so it'd be interesting to see what can come of it.
Jan 14th, 2017, 5:29 am
Mar 7th, 2017, 12:06 pm
LOL, I was actually going to make the same point in the other direction. With the possible Dystopian trend in the world today, I thought that was why publishing houses were leaning towards fantasy.

I actually prefer a little of both. The Selection series was not paranormal but had a little Dystopian, a tad bit of reality TV and almost a fairy tale bent.

I do have to say I am a little burnt out on the vampire and shifter trend and am always searching for the historical or mythological.

Fun topic!
Mar 7th, 2017, 12:06 pm