[ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post: #1 | Post subject: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:05 am 
Android Moderator
Symbian Moderator
User avatar

Posts: 3743
WRZ$: 46721.60

Device: Galaxy S4
We will start monthly reward for the most ACTIVE member in Symbian section
This reward will be free mobilism market premium account
The activity include :

Minimum of 100 Posts per month categorized and rewarded
Help to other members
Share in discussions
Software and game releases in the correct way
Request solving

_________________
Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on FACEBOOK




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: Advertisement
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:05 am 
The Advertiser

Posts:
Location: Mobilism

Top
  
 
 Post: #2 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:36 pm 
VIP

Posts: 357
WRZ$: 562.80
Cool, there should be some serious competition between both of the people with a Symbian phone ..... :lol:




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: #3 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 am 

Posts: 20
WRZ$: 45.30
bakerboy wrote:
Cool, there should be some serious competition between both of the people with a Symbian phone ..... :lol:


Hey, that's not fair... there are at least 3 of us!!! LOL ;-)


Hey I know everyone uses Crapple or Android. I use a Nokia E7 (Symbian) because I like the slide out keyboard, and don't mind Symbian for handhelds. I realise that Symbian was slow and buggy; the n97 sucked! But with the latest version of Symbian (Anna) Nokia actually fixed most of the bugs and made it perform more smoothly. And Nokia hardware is second to none. SHame they've dumped SYmbian just as they finally got it working - sigh.

I also have an Android tablet (ACER Iconia) and it's ok when it's not crashing but I don't get Android. Yes it's less locked down than Apple but it's still locked down. It's basically LINUX with a buggy proprietary JAVA wrapper.

I mean why not just use LINUX?! Maemo, (a type of LINUX) which Nokia used on its n900 and new N9, is fast, stable and simply rocks. And you can run all the Debian LINUX aps you want on it.

So, for example, you can have real Open Office/Libre Office (a full office suit) running on your phone or tablet instead of a crippled litte Quick Office thing that only has 10% of the features and doesn't import heavily formatted documents correctly. If you're an IT type you can have all the network tools for pinging, trace routing or whatever you want to do.

It just annoys me that companies are deliberately holding their users back so that we get lockd into a proprietary model.




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: #4 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:41 pm 

Posts: 12
WRZ$: 52.60
cyberlawusa wrote:
bakerboy wrote:

I mean why not just use LINUX?! Maemo, (a type of LINUX) which Nokia used on its n900 and new N9, is fast, stable and simply rocks. And you can run all the Debian LINUX aps you want on it.


The grass is always greener on the other side. I used to have an N900 with Maemo on it; and due to drivers not being released, there was a lot of stuff you couldn't do. On top of that, the internals were crap compared to what was on the market at the time. User base sucked which is like it's own black hole (as there is less users, there are less apps created and because there are less apps there are even less users).

It wasn't as fast as you might think.. Stable yes, but definitely not fast.




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: #5 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 am 

Posts: 63
WRZ$: 54.60
looks like someones waking up the symbian side. Its about time

_________________
HTC HD2 LEO TMOUS - Still alive and kicking!
OS: Gingerbread 2.3.7




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: #6 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:54 am 

Posts: 20
WRZ$: 45.30
jaizuke wrote:
cyberlawusa wrote:
bakerboy wrote:

...
User base sucked which is like it's own black hole (as there is less users, there are less apps created and because there are less apps there are even less users)....

It wasn't as fast as you might think.. Stable yes, but definitely not fast.


Did you use that program to install real LINUX on it? I did that--basically unlocked it so that I could run real Debian LINUX. Real Open Office, Tux Racer, Beneath a Steel Sky etc. All of a sudden I had access to an extra 10,000 or so programs ;-)

Admittedly, many of them were just no good on a small screen because they were designed for regular computers. But I get your point. I think the same point you're making also applies to Symbian. Even though I can do everything I need to on Symbian with what's out there I can see that Apple and Android have about 100 times more aps available. It becomes a vicious circle like you're saying--people use Android or Apple because they have the most aps therefore they end up with even more aps.

I just wish they'd bring out tablets and phone with LINUX on them because then the existing base of LINUX aps/programs could be used. And being an OS designed for networking LINUX has a lot of tools that would be really useful for a networked device like a phone or tablet.

Anyway, hope I'm not boring everyone. I've rambled on way past my .02 LOL!




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: #7 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 pm 

Posts: 26
WRZ$: 51.60
cyberlawusa wrote:
bakerboy wrote:
Cool, there should be some serious competition between both of the people with a Symbian phone ..... :lol:


Hey, that's not fair... there are at least 3 of us!!! LOL ;-)


Hey I know everyone uses Crapple or Android. I use a Nokia E7 (Symbian) because I like the slide out keyboard, and don't mind Symbian for handhelds. I realise that Symbian was slow and buggy; the n97 sucked! But with the latest version of Symbian (Anna) Nokia actually fixed most of the bugs and made it perform more smoothly. And Nokia hardware is second to none. SHame they've dumped SYmbian just as they finally got it working - sigh.

I also have an Android tablet (ACER Iconia) and it's ok when it's not crashing but I don't get Android. Yes it's less locked down than Apple but it's still locked down. It's basically LINUX with a buggy proprietary JAVA wrapper.

I mean why not just use LINUX?! Maemo, (a type of LINUX) which Nokia used on its n900 and new N9, is fast, stable and simply rocks. And you can run all the Debian LINUX aps you want on it.

So, for example, you can have real Open Office/Libre Office (a full office suit) running on your phone or tablet instead of a crippled litte Quick Office thing that only has 10% of the features and doesn't import heavily formatted documents correctly. If you're an IT type you can have all the network tools for pinging, trace routing or whatever you want to do.

It just annoys me that companies are deliberately holding their users back so that we get lockd into a proprietary model.


I owned iphone 3gs and few android phones,im on Galaxy s2 Epic touch right now.
I used symbian but not on smart phone and never used Megoo/maemo.

Android is not yet optimized for tablets,thats why you had bad experience with it.
I can just vouch for my current GS2 phone-i never had even one force close on it.And I flash alot of roms and customize my roms.Hardware on Samsung is unmatched by anything,android has better apps than iphone(yes iphone apps do look better),and stability is supperb.I can delete half of system apps and android will still boot!Oh and I didnt mention that gs2 has ZERO lag and is supper fast.
We have Polar Office and other office programs that symbian cant match.

You cant put Symbian against android.Im sure that Naemo,Meego and WebOS if they ever matured could compete against android and ios or even be better-but they probably never will.

Nokia should have went with android or webos and they would have made tons of money.
Choosing wp7 wasnt a mistake but bad bussiness decision.Android thats where the money is.
And wp7 ui looks like settings option menu on my android.And it takes a too many touches to get to where you are going.

For now android is best os for non business users.I will say that probably symbian and other os's are more secure but that is it.




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: #8 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:24 pm 

Posts: 26
WRZ$: 51.60
Quote:
User base sucked which

Did you use that program to install real LINUX on it? I did that--basically unlocked it so that I could run real Debian LINUX. Real Open Office, Tux Racer, Beneath a Steel Sky etc. All of a sudden I had access to an extra 10,000 or so programs ;-)

Admittedly, many of them were just no good on a small screen because they were designed for regular computers. But I get your point. I think the same point you're making also applies to Symbian. Even though I can do everything I need to on Symbian with what's out there I can see that Apple and Android have about 100 times more aps available. It becomes a vicious circle like you're saying--people use Android or Apple because they have the most aps therefore they end up with even more aps.

I just wish they'd bring out tablets and phone with LINUX on them because then the existing base of LINUX aps/programs could be used. And being an OS designed for networking LINUX has a lot of tools that would be really useful for a networked device like a phone or tablet.

Anyway, hope I'm not boring everyone. I've rambled on way past my .02 LOL!


People use ios because of apps and android because of customization and apps.
Plus ios and android have games that look almost as good as ps3.

I use android not because off apps-i have about 10 same apps for years now.But I use it because ui looks good,it only take one or two click to get where you want to go,i can make ui look anyway I want or I can install different ui shell and have completely new phone.
Plus its uer friendly for people that dont know anything about phones,i can be advanced user or new user and have fun with this os.

Sorry for misspells-i dont have time to fix them.




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: #9 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:03 pm 

Posts: 29
WRZ$: 68.70
LOL Symbian is dead, but congrats to who gets it again.




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post: #10 | Post subject: Re: REWARD for THE MOST ACTIVE MEMBER in Symbian Section
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:38 am 

Posts: 20
WRZ$: 45.30
michealm wrote:
LOL Symbian is dead, but congrats to who gets it again.


Symbian is dead. Long live Symbian!

But seriously, it's going out with one last bang. Nokia just released a major upgrade called 'Belle' that's pretty awsome. Sadly it will certainly be the last upgrade ever except maybe for a few minor patches etc. Shame they discontinued Symbian after they finally got it right. :(




Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Search for:


All content © 2006-2011 Mobilism. Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms & conditions | Copyright policy
Powered by ServerBlast and phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group