The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Jan 30th, 2013, 9:25 am
Scunzero wrote:Short and to the point reviews.

The Amazing Spider-Man #700 and The Superior Spider-Man #01 are just plain awful. Why did Marvel create this "death of Spider-Man" nonsense and have Octavuis become Peter Parker/Spider-Man (complete with his memories and conscience) which causes him to undergo a sudden change of heart. Talk about cheapening 50 years of one of the icons of Marvel Comics. I can wait without bated breath for the return of the original Peter Parker/Spider-Man in twelve months or so.

Both DC and Marvel always use this kind of tricks: Reboot the main story and or, make the superhero 'dead' and then live again... So far that I know, it happened mostly when the writer or artist replaced by a new one :?
Jan 30th, 2013, 9:25 am

Labor Omnia Vincit Improbus... Hard Work Conquers Everything!
Mar 7th, 2013, 3:14 am
Hey folks!
I can easily remember a time in my youth when I would take my saved allowance and head to the newsstand where they also sold comics. In those days, each book sold for a dime each or 12 for a dollar (horrors when they jumped to 12 cents). On Saturdays and summer days, I'd take take the newest ones, roll 'em up tight and stick 'em in my back jeans and then ride my bike to meet up with the other guys under a tree in the neighborhood where the communal stash kept us all busy for hours. Superman, Batman, and Justice League were OK, but there were these new books from a company called Marvel... Need I say more?

Now I watch my grand kids have more interaction with their video games or phones... and very little interest in reading of any kind. To date there have only been 3 exceptions: (1) Groo the Wanderer, Asterix the Gaul, and Classics Illustrated. I happily noted the sizable Asterix collection on the forum, but I'm especially surprised to see so little of Sergio Aragones [Groo] work released. I have loved Sergio's art from his early days at Mad magazine forward. No one can draw a crowd scene better than Sergio... NO one! IMHO of course. The humor works whether you are 6 or 60... trust me on this one. The older kids like the Classics due helping their school work I assume.

Thanks for letting an old guy ramble and my biggest thanks is that a good number of the books that I bought over the years, used to have in my physical library and then grew legs are now in my electronic library.
Mar 7th, 2013, 3:14 am

A journey of a thousand miles starts with but a step... Just like a fall down the stairs!
Mar 7th, 2013, 5:55 pm
vang52 wrote:but I'm especially surprised to see so little of Sergio Aragones [Groo] work released. I have loved Sergio's art from his early days at Mad magazine forward. No one can draw a crowd scene better than Sergio... NO one! IMHO of course. The humor works whether you are 6 or 60... trust me on this one. The older kids like the Classics due helping their school work I assume.

Hi Vang, Since you mentioned Sergio Aragones's Groo, I must reschedule my comics release here and put Groo's into the first (Well, now you can find it here: Groo the Wanderer). Thought the Groo's span in very-very long time back from '82, I'll release here (it has 4 volumes + Spin off: 171 issues and about 2 GBs), but one at time because I have limited connection down here ;)
vang52 wrote:Thanks for letting an old guy ramble and my biggest thanks is that a good number of the books that I bought over the years, used to have in my physical library and then grew legs are now in my electronic library.

Kids grown up and become mature, and someday they will leave us to reach and find their own life, and for me, while I'm alone, comic is one of the best companion .. lol...
Mar 7th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Mar 8th, 2013, 3:57 am
The Pacific issues started it all! Great release and many thanks my friend!
Mar 8th, 2013, 3:57 am

A journey of a thousand miles starts with but a step... Just like a fall down the stairs!
Mar 19th, 2013, 4:58 pm
o_0 is there a anime comic/manga forum??
Mar 19th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Mar 19th, 2013, 5:35 pm
pauchess wrote:o_0 is there a anime comic/manga forum??

Easy to find, just use the search tool (located at left of your monitor Image ), type "manga" as the keyword.
Mar 19th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Mar 20th, 2013, 11:53 am

Houdini v1.1

Android owning comics readers, attention!

Don't just read this comic - hear it! Rok Comics is proud to present the audio-enhanced adventures of the world's best-known escape artist Houdini, featuring a full soundtrack that brings the story added life and excitement - and includes exclusive videos revealing behind the secrets of two magical illusions! (Click the picture above, it's a link to the release post...)
Mar 20th, 2013, 11:53 am
Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:07 pm
I've been reading the collected editions of 100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso and must agree with Bill Savage in his foreword to A Foregone Tomorrow that Risso's minimalist art style makes the series all the more better. I do dread to think what Hollywood would do if they made a mess, I mean movie, from this comic. This is a great series.
Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:07 pm
Aug 23rd, 2013, 11:21 pm
Hiya everyone.

Seen my works shared here a few times, so figured I would pop in to say hi :)

So for those of you that don't know me, I am a comic scanner/scanlator/proofreader, and have been doing scans and scanlations since 2007 or so :)

So feel free to throw me a PM if you got any questions, and I'll try to let the releasers here know when I get a new book out :)

data9724
Aug 23rd, 2013, 11:21 pm
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:54 am
Hi data9724, Glad to have the scanlator himself made a released here. Wellcome :) .
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:54 am

Aug 27th, 2013, 10:55 am
Thoughts on Ben Affleck as Batman?
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:55 am
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:51 pm
You're welcome, Ojay. I will post some of my various works as i get time, busy with 7 edits, a proofreading, and an edit as a favor at the moment .)
Aug 27th, 2013, 10:51 pm
Sep 9th, 2013, 9:25 pm
I have a few questions:

1. What is the best place to find comics on the web or on IRC (not counting Mobilism, obviously)? For example, I was looking for the early limited series of Gold Digger comics (FYI: the author has graciously posted the first 199 issues of the regular series for free reading and download: http://antarcticpresslibrary.com/ ) and I didn't find anything in #ebooks on IRC Highway, even though I've seen several servers with lots of comics there. I searched TPB, and found a few torrents. Sadly, it appears the collection of Gold Digger comics here at Mobilism are all expired. I really miss Demonoid, as it had TONS of comic torrents, as well as hard to find ebooks, movies, tv shows, etc.

2. Which do you consider more important, the author or the illustrator (if different)? Is the author usually listed on the release thread titles? I am a science fiction/fantasy prose reader, and I am always interested in finding comic adaptions of novels (Discworld by Terry Pratchett, Shannara by Terry Brooks, works by Piers Anthony, etc.) I am also a manga reader, and in that instance I am used to a single 'mangaka' (author and illustrator) personally creating the series. When it comes to mainstream American comics, obviously that isn't the case, as you have a licensed property that changes whenever a new author or illustrator comes on board. I almost view much of the American mainstream comics as "work for hire" the way a TV series has multiple authors who follow a show 'bible.' Sure, there are the originators such as Bob Kane, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Todd McFarlane, etc. I know there's many other famous creators, I'm weak on comics.

3. What is a good way to store digital comics? I can load my .epubs up in Dropbox, I mostly have enough space (except for huge series like Star Trek.) However, I don't have the room for hundreds or thousands of comics at 5-50 megs each, either in Dropbox or on my laptop itself (my computer has about 10gig free.) I've had several catastrophic hard drive failures, including a 500GB drive. Since then, I've learned to back up the truly important stuff on Dropbox (my writings, personal lists, family photos, etc.) I could burn the comics to CD, but a house fire or tornado would destroy them along with the laptop. I guess I could upload them to another Dropbox-style cloud server like Google Drive or Amazon's cloud service. Of course, there I'd run into a little problem, I only have 33K-50K upload speed since I have the lowest cable modem service.

I'm almost ready to make my first uploads in the comics board, I've been going through some scanned online magazines that have some serialized comics in them, some of the magazines are 30 years old. I've had to use Google Chrome to view the magazine at Google books, and save the .jpg of the comic page from each issue. I'm sure the main comics that I'm scanning will be welcome, but I've also noticed the magazine has some classic literature in comic form (such as Treasure Island, The War of the Worlds, etc.) Would those be welcome as well?
Sep 9th, 2013, 9:25 pm
Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:05 am
I see Disney is doing to Marvel what it does to any company that that they take over (Pixar is a good example), they drive it into the ground by pushing ever more product without any thought of quality just the proverbial bottom line. They have spun the clock back to the Eighties and Nineties when Marvel churned out so much rubbish that it almost destroyed them. I stopped reading Marvel some time ago and still see no reason to return to their comics. Well done Discorp.

Gads, I now buy a whole two Marvel Comics: Amazing X-Men and the, so far, reprint editions of Miracle Man. Once DC finishes with the mutli-title crossover Forever Evil I'm hoping, really hoping, that they'll consider (although I'm not holding my breath) giving us respite from "crossoveritis". It's getting to the stage where I'll consider dropping collecting (only picked up the addiction again about six months ago after a hiatus of about six years) and go to waiting for the collected editions of the titles I currently buy.
Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:05 am
May 16th, 2014, 12:51 pm
One of my resolutions this year was getting up-to-date with everything and anything related to The Avengers comics in Earth-616 after years without reading any comic. In January the 1st I read the number 212 from the first Volume.

Now I'm reading the first volume of the New Avengers. I'm so hooked... I can't believe it took me so long to start reading superhero Marvel comics as a daily basis.

This week I have finished the first volume of Young Avengers and its awesomeness is beyond measure. Yeah I'm a hardcore fan!! XD
May 16th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Important: The hard drive where I kept my e-books has died. I'm afraid I won't be able to post any re-up. I'm really sorry!! :(