The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Apr 16th, 2011, 5:42 am
Wellcome to Comics Lounge, Dear Members.
Here You can post and comment everythings: Big things-Small things about comics you've read or want to read.
And Topic this week are: Censorship in Comics.

Censorship From Wikipedia:
    "Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body."

Some samples for censorship:

the Incal censorship:

Publisher/author censorship

Wake/Sillage censorship:

Navee in the censored American version compared to the original art.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zacharie wrote:Don't have example(s) of censored comics for now, but will look for it. Just wanna share my thoughts about how stupid I find censoring thing. Those guys should realize reader's imagination is far more powerful compared to pictures, creating the opposite effect as intended when they censor something.

urojay wrote:I agree with you, Sir. Censor sometimes make books looks worst.
But, for some reasons, censorship have some good goals: One to be exact is to protect un mature reader's curiousity. Well, maybe it sound absurd, but as we all know, as a kid, once we can read letters and counting numbers, next we are unstopable... lol..
For 8-10 years kid, he/she are not allowed to read for e.g: Wake, that should not be read until 15 years and up, and there's come censorship, and voila! Now the books are all ages.

Zacharie wrote:Well... I admit in your first example censoring can be useful sometimes... ;)

urojay wrote:Me too... lol... Me too, Sir.

Bohica60 wrote:There is a worse form of censorship than those already shown. Look at any Japanese adult Manga. Those tiny bars that they place on ANY depiction of genitalia below the waist. I've seen black bars, white bars, cross-hatched bars, grey bars.

To me it just ruins the artwork - like someone painting graffiti on a Picasso. It doesn't really block what is going on - it just defiles the picture. I would read more Manga, but whenever I see these bars, I just get rid of whatever I am reading. It just ruins the whole effect as far as I am concerned.

I thought that was what had happened in the case of the Wake/Sillage series too at first. It really seemed like a silly thing to do in the 'younger' series. But as I read more of the story, I came to realize that the white/silver markings were NOT censorship bars, but an integral part of the story. The black bar version however, IS censorship.

urojay wrote:Got what you mean, Sir, and I agree with you. For hentai's censor are worst!
"..like someone painting graffiti on a Picasso.." ...Ahahaha...Great!

Censorship in Comics Topic are Closed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have any comment or other samples? Or just want to shout?! Reply here, free speak but please, no F-words and B-words.
Apr 16th, 2011, 5:42 am

Labor Omnia Vincit Improbus... Hard Work Conquers Everything!
May 1st, 2011, 5:01 am
Wellcome to Comics Lounge, Dear Members.
Here You can post and comment everythings: Big things-Small things about comics you've read or want to read.
And Topic this week are: Which comics You like most.
Just answer my question below, and for a proper answer I'll give you 3 WRZ$. For Best 3 answers I'll give you another 10 WRZ$ and archieved yours in opening topic as quote.

Which comics you like most: example: Insurrection v3.6
Why? example: because I like science fiction stories
Which other comics do you read? example: all science fiction stories
On what device do you read comics? example: iPad

Happy posting! :D

Jay.
May 1st, 2011, 5:01 am

May 1st, 2011, 8:57 am
I'm sorry to disturb your weekly topic, Jay, but didn't know very well where to post this. (Maybe you should make a separate - stickied - topic for weekly items?)

I just released this one: The History of Flight by Gary Jeffrey (.CBR)

Other books in the series includes:

Fantastic Shipwrecks
Fantastic Fossils
Incredible Space Missions
Ancient Treasures

It would be great if we all could search for those other books and release them. Thanks.
May 1st, 2011, 8:57 am
May 2nd, 2011, 1:32 am
Which comics you like most: Star wars
Why? Because Star wars comics can go anywhere, writers can introduce whole new planets and it would still be Star Wars.
Which other comics do you like to read? Most DC comics, Wolverine, Spiderman....And I also like Star Trek comics
On what device do you read comics? IPod Touch
May 2nd, 2011, 1:32 am

Post rewarded by Ojay on May 4th, 2011, 2:59 am.
+3 WRZ$ for weekly topic. Thanks.

!~! Retired !~!
MOBILISM.ORG
SUPPORT DEVELOPERS. IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT. ◄
May 2nd, 2011, 3:21 am
Zacharie wrote:I'm sorry to disturb your weekly topic, Jay, but didn't know very well where to post this. (Maybe you should make a separate - stickied - topic for weekly items?)

Well, I will add another sticky post to this section, for kinds of things You've mentioned: quiz, poll or others, in future. Thanks for the idea Zach. ;)
For now, this weekly topic in lounge is a kind pilot project for every one esspecially a non releaser book and a way to hide a static condition if there's no one's interesting to talk and shout here. Let me say this 'weekly topic's purpose to see other member's participate and get involved without being shy or nervous... Just speak up and shout and get reward.'

Zacharie wrote:I just released this one: The History of Flight by Gary Jeffrey (.CBR)
Other books in the series includes:
    - Fantastic Shipwrecks
    - Fantastic Fossils
    - Incredible Space Missions
    - Ancient Treasures
It would be great if we all could search for those other books and release them. Thanks.

Are any other member has those book Zach's mentioned? If you have it, post it and release it here at mobilism... :D
May 2nd, 2011, 3:21 am

May 2nd, 2011, 3:47 pm
Which comics you like most: I like to read comics that are spin-off from original novels.
Why? Because I'm always curious if the characters are drawn in a way they match how I visualized them in my head while reading the book.
Which other comics do you read? I like also to read star wars comics, because they explain more about the stories compared to the movies which mainly aim to be visualy attractive.
On what device do you read comics? I read comics on my Axim (WinMo) and on my desktop (and my uncle's laptop if I may borrow it...)
Anything you'd like to see changed on the site's comics scene? I think there should be a separated comics request section.

And one more you didn't ask: Yes, I think it's about ebook mods that Tina was thinking when she was singing... simply the best! ;)
May 2nd, 2011, 3:47 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on May 4th, 2011, 3:00 am.
May 3rd, 2011, 7:34 am
Which comics you like most: I like to read European comics.
Why? The stories are variated from various genres, sometime shock you, sometime make you proud, sometime make you sad or happy... kind like read a novel but with images...beside the art were (mostly) awesome! You can see the colours look pretty and natural, detils are expose but in proportional shape...
Which other comics do you read? Detective genres and Hellbalzer!! You can see my avat: John Constantine smoking cigarette..
On what device do you read comics? I read comics on my Netbook or on my 32 inch LED monitor (alone if it's Sci-fi/horror, with my WF if it's *ADULT*, or with my Kids if it's mermaid and pooh...).
May 3rd, 2011, 7:34 am

May 3rd, 2011, 8:01 pm
Which comics you like most: Orson Scott Card, e.g. Ender
Why? Orson is great! Comics are great! Together is fantastic!
Which other comics do you read? SF but actually anything goes except horror.
On what device do you read comics? Galaxy Tab

Any Bahasa Indonesia comics by change? Simple stuff like Donald Duck? To help me learning the language? Terima Kasih!
May 3rd, 2011, 8:01 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on May 4th, 2011, 2:58 am.
May 4th, 2011, 2:46 am
anotherusername wrote:Any Bahasa Indonesia comics by change? Simple stuff like Donald Duck? To help me learning the language? Terima Kasih!

I did'nt find it here, Sir. Never make a release and never saw one. Any chance You'll make one? would be great here!
Speaking of making an Indonesian comics release, I'll discuss it with Zach.
Terimakasih sudah mau ikut berpartisipasi di Lounge. Semoga kedepan bisa terus aktif. :D
(= Thanks for your contributed and participated in Lounge. I'll be glad to see you again)
Jay.
May 4th, 2011, 2:46 am

May 8th, 2011, 1:17 am
Here what I found in Request section. Anybody can provide it? I'll give you 50 WRZ$ extra as bonus.

David_James wrote:Name and Author of eBook: ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS IN COMICS SET (Vol. 1-10) by Li Chengli; Translated by Wu Jingyu, Yin Shuxun & Hu Shiping
WRZ$ reward: 50 for each set WRZ$

This ten-volume series is a complete pictorial rendition of China's foremost historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The classic by Ming Dynasty writer Luo Guanzhong is based on the history of the Three Kingdoms when the states of Wei, Shu and Wu emerged from the remnants of the Han Dynasty and began to fight for power and sovereignty.

It vividly depicts a series of famous battles and hundreds of historical characters in one of the most turbulent periods in China's long history. Though these exciting episodes happened more than 1,700 years ago, they are still remembered and loved by the Chinese. The popularity of the book has remained throughout the centuries and is part of China's cultural heritage. The novel has also been rendered in the performing arts as well as other literary forms.

---
This topic will be automatically deleted if it goes without reply for 21 days. You're allowed to bump it to prevent it from being deleted. Be aware that you have 7 days from when the request is fulfilled to donate your reward or you will face a penalty and possibly a ban.
May 8th, 2011, 1:17 am

May 9th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Which comics you like most: Batman
Why? Because in my opinion, Batman is the best.
Which other comics do you read? I read 'em all.
On what device do you read comics? Computer, unfortunately, I don't have a reader yet.
May 9th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on May 18th, 2011, 12:17 am.
+3 WRZ$ for weekly topic. Thanks!
May 17th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Which comics i like most : Golden City
Why? the concept of resilient men in a post appocalyptic world.
Which other comics do i read? sci-fi, fantasy,anything about batman or iron man
On what device do i read comics? ipod touch, pc
May 17th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on May 18th, 2011, 12:18 am.
May 18th, 2011, 10:31 am
Which comics you like most: Donald Duck
Why? It's hilarious, my most favourite comic ever since I was a kid
Which other comics do you read? Savitabhabhi :twisted:
On what device do you read comics? any device I have at the moment I wanna read comics, :wink:
May 18th, 2011, 10:31 am

Post rewarded by Ojay on May 18th, 2011, 11:21 am.

i can't reup dead links anymore
Jun 6th, 2011, 5:47 pm
Which comics you like most: everything written by 'schuiten en Peeters' Cities of the Fantastic by Benoît Peeters and François Schuiten

Why? because I like the art deco style they use for their stories.

Which other comics do you read? everything about Victorian age, and every sifi thing I can find.

On what device do you read comics? computer screen (turned 90° clockwise) or on my laptop (turned 90° as well (and yes, people do look strange at me when doing this on a bus but I don't mind))

K.
Jun 6th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Jun 6th, 2011, 6:07 pm.
Jun 15th, 2011, 2:59 pm
urojay wrote:And Topic this week are: Which comics You like most.

'Along Came Polly'
away went the week,
hope you got the answers
we all wanted to read...

Oops... If you need something new to keep users focused, Jay, maybe you should organize an election of the 'most beautiful mod... err... comics cover!' ;)

Reward every reply and in the end reward the best cover, judged by the jury... May I be part of the jury?
Jun 15th, 2011, 2:59 pm