The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Apr 24th, 2011, 8:39 am
Starlog Photo Guidebook – Science Fiction Weapons Vol 1 by David Hirsch
Requirements: CBR reader, 4 Mb
Overview: Starlog Magazine was THE resource for science fiction fans back in the late 70's and 80's. After they made a name for themselves Starlog decided to make a series of photo guides chronicling various aspects of science fiction film and television like special effects, aliens, spaceships, robots, and so on. This one delves into science fiction weapons that are featured on various movies and television dating back from the very beginning of sci-fi motion pictures up to the latest shows at the time of publication on 1979.

Now if you're looking for some technical manual type resource this book will be sorely lacking in that department. The entries are mostly observations on whatever the featured weapon is. Sometimes you get a brief description on weapon, and sometimes you just get a snarky comment on how they made the prop using recognizable products. This book's best use is generally to document a score of vintage science fiction films and shows that may have fallen off of just about everybody's radar. This includes a few photos of the named weapons from these lost shows. You want to learn more about sci-fi roots this is one of the books to help.

This book isn't all lost for the technical guide types out there like me. There is a small handful of sci-fi weapons that get much better treatment. Firstly this is one of the few books in existence that has any information on the blasters used in the original Battlestar Galactica. You get an official blueprint that describes parts of the gun in relatively elaborate detail. There is also a blueprint for the phaser from the original Star Trek series. Although I feel you get better information for these weapons from Weapons and Field Equipment Technical Reference Manual, this book has some details on the guns not shown in the other. There is also a very descriptive blueprint on the inner workings of the Sandman weapon on the short lived Logan's Run television series. Other relatively descriptive blueprints are the laser cannon from Space: 1999, the Martian war machines from War of the Worlds, and the lightsabers from Star Wars.

All in all I enjoy the Starlog Photo Guidebooks for showing me what's out there in the science fiction world that I may have never learned about otherwise. This weapons book is a pretty good representation for that, and as a lover of technical manuals I appreciate the rare blueprints I haven't seen on any other publication.

Download Instructions:
(Closed Filehost) https://ul.to/yg5l1usy/Starlog_Photo_Gui ... Weapo..cbr

Mirrors MU:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CS0HR8P8

Apr 24th, 2011, 8:39 am
Apr 24th, 2011, 8:58 am
Interesting release, Zach, thanks! Rewarded 2 x 8 WRZ$. Category: Comics.

Guy1731 Image
Apr 24th, 2011, 8:58 am