The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Nov 16th, 2011, 8:20 pm
Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughn and by Niko Henrichon
Requirements: CBR Reader, 55 MB / 112 MB.
Overview: In the spring of 2003, a pride of lions escapes from the Baghdad Zoo during an American bombing raid. Lost and confused, hungry but finally free, the four lions roamed the decimated streets of Baghdad in a desperate struggle for their lives. In documenting the plight of the lions, PRIDE OF BAGHDAD raises questions about the true meaning of liberation - can it be given, or is it earned only through self-determination and sacrifice? And in the end, is it truly better to die free than to live in captivity?

Sample page
Review vebx
More comics from this writer

Pride of Baghdad / Les Seigneurs De Bagdad
    Brian K. Vaughan writer
    Niko Henrichon artist
    Todd Klein letterer
    Published by Vertigo, 2006. 130 Pages.

Pride of Baghdad is an original comic book written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Niko Henrichon released by DC Comics' Vertigo imprint on September 13, 2006. The story is a fictionalized account of the true story of four lions that escaped from the Baghdad zoo after an American bombing in 2003.

It won the IGN award for best original graphic novel in 2006

Download Instructions:
http://novafile.org/a3guja57iiyd -- Pride of Baghdad (2006)

France
Nov 16th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Labor Omnia Vincit Improbus... Hard Work Conquers Everything!
Nov 16th, 2011, 8:21 pm
    Liberated Lions & Caged Animals, Reviewed by SC on Oct. 3, 2011.

Overview
        I consider this a gem of a graphic novel, that is still somewhat underrated despite its popularity and praise with those that read it, and also one of the reasons I occasionally lament that comics is so dominated by the superhero genre, otherwise maybe this book might get more recognition. When I say Graphic Novel, I mean in the sense this book is 136 pages long, compared to your standard comic issue, which is about 22 pages, and this is the way it was designed to be read, and its not particularly wordy, and the pace of the book works rather fast. Not to say the book is not especially deep or thoughtful, because it is, it just doesn't try and hit you over the head with any of the themes and ideas it presents. The characters, who are lions are presented as bright and intelligent, but they still maintain lion like characteristics. Anthropomorphised, but not any silly, unnecessary or random way. In fact particularly poignant and interesting aspect about Pride of Baghdad is that is inspired by real life events, I recommend reading the Graphic Novel though first you are not familiar with the real life details. (which you can read a bit more about here) during the US takeover of the Iraqi capital, amidst the chaos, four lions dug their way out of the Zoo that held them, into freedom, Except were they really free? This story covers a bit of that whilst bringing up other themes, and questions and moments, which flesh out the characters, the story in equal measures. Stunning art helps aid the process.

Writing & Plot
        Brian K. Vaughan is the writer of this graphic novel, and he does an excellent job, in giving each of the four main characters distinctive voices and personalities. We have four lion protagonists, we have Zill, the sole matured male (thus default alpha male) and we have Safa, who is almost like the leader of the group, given she is the oldest, and most experienced, she is also half blind. Noor, is an optimistic young mother lioness, who longs for freedom and a life outside the Zoo, and we also have her cub Ali. The youngest character whose only known life within captivity.

The writing here is minimal but very skillfully and purposefully employed, and although the characters personalities clash, it never seems to in a forced way, but often many of the clashes of ideologies and ethics result in very poignant moments or time tested moral dilemmas none which linger long, which I think is for the better. In a similar way, even though we are dealing with political issues, the book allows most of that to just stay in the background and backdrop. We the reader can understand the context, but much like a tortoise telling our main characters, all he knows in the humans (walkers/keepers) are fight. Over what? He doesn't know.

You can expect to empathize with one of the characters at least once in this book. There are many small and heavy, mundane or typical emotional moments with these pages. These lions are not strangers to each other, they are bonded in various ways and lived together in a zoo and now stick to each other as they enter a dangerous, new, and exciting world. Divorced from the great themes touched on in the book with the writing, this would still be a captivating read based on the character work and character development.

Art & Visuals
        Stunningly represented artistically by Niko Henrichon, the colors and hues used in here invoke a mixture of both realism and fantasy that is perfectly blended. Lots of earthy, naturalistic and sandy tones are spread though out the book, later more city like locales are as stunningly detailed and represented. Baghdad I cannot say I have seen with my own two eyes, but as I understand it, artist like writer paid particular attention to the real life local, several zoos and first hand accounts and photos of the local areas. I think this adds a genuine and sincere feel to the art. Something I find many comic book artists struggle with generally, is giving characters accurate or meaningfully appropriate expressions. I usually mean this in the context of human characters. Henrichon is tasked with having to illicit a range of subtle and raw emotions though expressions on the faces of lions!!?!? No easy feat, but one he does very, very well.

Moment Of Badass
        Safa saves the day. After a heart wrenching farewell where she decides to part ways with the younger Lions, its Safa the old lioness who rescues Ali the cub and fights a vicious battle against monkeys.

Red Stuff Is Blood, yup

Moment Of Pretty Chaos
        Just to exhibit and spotlight the exquisite art.

Lion King Sequels started to get progressively darker

Who Should Read This?
        Everyone!! Unless, you really, really, only care about superheroes. Its a really well crafted and emotional tale (tail?) either way, with some lovely and nice moments. I think its a modern day classic and a really good gift as well (especially for teens) maybe a bit too adult for children though.

Overall I give this issue a rare PERFECT SCORE.
Nov 16th, 2011, 8:21 pm
Sep 5th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Added French: Réédition de Pride of Baghdad.

Les Seigneurs De Bagdad

Bagdad, 2003 : quatre lions emprisonnés dans le zoo, sont libérés suite à un raid aérien de l’armée américaine. Un jeune mâle dominant, deux femelles de deux âges différents et un petit lionceau vont découvrir, en errant dans la ville dévastée, que cette liberté soudaine s’avère plus dangereuse que leur ancienne prison dorée.
Sep 5th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Labor Omnia Vincit Improbus... Hard Work Conquers Everything!