GPS applications, rather than GPS navigation software
Jul 28th, 2011, 9:12 am
Google Maps v5.8.0 ( + Mod with World Navigation activated )
Requirements: for all Android versions
Overview: Get Google Maps with Navigation (Beta), Places, and Latitude

*Navigation: Free, voice-guided GPS navigation system
*Places: Find, rate, and get recommendations for places
*Latitude: See friends on the map and check in at places

Keywords: Google Maps, Navigation, Places, Hotpot, Latitude, directions

What's in this version:
Personalize Place pages by uploading pictures from your visit
Manage your starred and recently visited Places in the 'My Places' tab
See descriptive terms for Places in search results and Places pages
Add a new place to Places when checking in

Google Maps v5.8.0 Mod - With World Navigation activated
This map is for the country that cant use navigation on google map. It has been hacked and can be used by any country now.

Features:
worldwide navigation using Google Maps Directions
map tiles caching on SD card
force-enable MT. If you're on Eclair or some custom Donut and don't have multitouch zooming, then maybe this will enable it.
force-enable Buzz feature
fix for map shift issue in China
option to hide zoom buttons
installable on non-rooted devices

How to install re-sign version:
1. In Titanium Backup, select Maps and make a backup.
2. Select Maps and wipe data, then uninstall.
3. Select Street View and wipe data, then uninstall
4. Install maps5.5.0-ownhere-resign.apk
5. Go to market, and reinstall street view.

or ADB

first uninstall Maps from /system/app
Code: Select alladb remount
adb push /maps5.8.0-ownhere.apk /system/app

1. The upgradable version of Google Maps must be placed in /system/app directory, and no installation process, you must first uninstall the original map, official map of any future upgrades can be used directly, there's no need to uninstall Uninstall using the Application page or the guide above.

Note:
For those who get the "Login Failed" message, and don't get the three warning triangles .

1. Install original maps from market.
2. Sign in and join latititude (or not join latitude, I use it so heh)
3. Back up maps in titanium, app and data.
4. Wipe date and uninstall maps
5. Install resign version. DO NOT RUN, reboot right after installing.
6. After reboot, go to titanium and restore DATA only.

More Info:
Code: Select allhttp://www.appbrain.com/app/google-maps/com.google.android.apps.maps

Download Instructions:
maps5.8.0-ownhere-testkeyresign.apk
http://www.filesonic.com/file/1534909634
http://www.wupload.com/file/76800417

maps5.8.0-ownhere.apk
http://www.filesonic.com/file/1534909624
http://www.wupload.com/file/76800416

Thanks ownhere for this one and Brut.all
Jul 28th, 2011, 9:12 am
Jul 28th, 2011, 12:01 pm
30WRZ$, Category: GPS
Jul 28th, 2011, 12:01 pm

-Market Militia-
Image <--- Join Mobilism on IRC
Image <--- Donate some WRZ
Respect the download links of all my releases, if you need another mirror ask me.
Jul 28th, 2011, 1:25 pm
I updated HTC EVO 4G to 5.8 off of the market yesterday and it caused the app and Navigation to no longer see the addresses of my contacts. Uninstalled and the apps now work again.
Jul 28th, 2011, 1:25 pm
Jul 28th, 2011, 6:29 pm
The difference between maps5.8.0-ownhere-testkeyresign.apk and maps5.8.0-ownhere-.apk ?
Jul 28th, 2011, 6:29 pm
Jul 28th, 2011, 10:28 pm
jastonas wrote:The difference between maps5.8.0-ownhere-testkeyresign.apk and maps5.8.0-ownhere-.apk ?

good question
Jul 28th, 2011, 10:28 pm
Jul 29th, 2011, 7:10 am
Does this allow offline or caching of maps? Not everyone can afford 24x7 3G data...
Is this capable of caching?
Thanks
Jul 29th, 2011, 7:10 am

Version+Name
1: Cupcake / Donut; 2: Eclair / Froyo / Gingerbread
3: Honeycomb; 4: Ice Cream SW / JellyBean / KitKat
5: Lolipop; 6: Marshmallow; 7: Nougat; 8: Oreo; 9: Pie
10: Quince Tart; 11: Red Velvet Cake; 12: Snow Cone
13: Tiramisu; 14: Upside-down Cake; 15: Vanilla Ice Cream
Jul 29th, 2011, 9:30 am
jastonas wrote:The difference between maps5.8.0-ownhere-testkeyresign.apk and maps5.8.0-ownhere-.apk ?

please somebody answer this..

anyone can explain to me how to install this apk? just replace the old version with this or how?
Jul 29th, 2011, 9:30 am
Jul 29th, 2011, 11:18 am
Use titanium backup and follow instructions.
Make a backup of files (copy to a folder on SD) before making ANY changes to anything...
Jul 29th, 2011, 11:18 am

Version+Name
1: Cupcake / Donut; 2: Eclair / Froyo / Gingerbread
3: Honeycomb; 4: Ice Cream SW / JellyBean / KitKat
5: Lolipop; 6: Marshmallow; 7: Nougat; 8: Oreo; 9: Pie
10: Quince Tart; 11: Red Velvet Cake; 12: Snow Cone
13: Tiramisu; 14: Upside-down Cake; 15: Vanilla Ice Cream
Jul 29th, 2011, 11:28 am
flipmode wrote:Does this allow offline or caching of maps? Not everyone can afford 24x7 3G data...
Thanks

Would also like to know that!
Jul 29th, 2011, 11:28 am
Jul 29th, 2011, 2:04 pm
coolf1re wrote:

anyone can explain to me how to install this apk? just replace the old version with this or how?

For details about this one can find very educative guide on XDA forum, though here describing in sort

First you need to install either of one file only, map 5.8.0 ownhere OR 5.8.0 ownhere testresign
Now who are installing first time this (world activated map) you have to remove your stock map application, as this is system app, you need to Root your phone
With titanium backup/System appl remover, first wipe data and uninstall stock google map application.

Now you can install either of above file,
If you are installing Map 5.8.0 ownhere.apk, you need to copy this file in system/app folder by using ADB, or Root Explorer.
Alternatevely you can install map 5.8.0 ownhere-testresign.apk, This file you can install like anyother apk, copy file to your memory card, browse with Astro/My files n simply install. If you get msg application not installed then you may have to repeat step of uninstall. Again download map from market, wipe out data, uninstall stock appliation n try to install resign version, it shud b done. Many time 2-3 times it happens

For those who have priorly install testresign.apk of old version, they can directly update with this testresign version(copy testresign.apk to memory card, browse with astro/My files n select to update)
Jul 29th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Jul 29th, 2011, 6:44 pm
zlash wrote:
flipmode wrote:Does this allow offline or caching of maps? Not everyone can afford 24x7 3G data...
Thanks

Would also like to know that!

The last two GMaps releases support offline caching of 10 miles/13km around a point you can choose on the map online. Go to Menu/Google Labs and activate "Prefetch map area to cache", then back in the map press on the little blue arrow, then on the right arrow that pops up next to the address, and choose the last option "Save map area in cache" (or similar, I have a German version). If you want to download larger areas repeat outside 10 miles area, or get Maverick Pro here in the forum, it can save GMaps without area limit.
Jul 29th, 2011, 6:44 pm
Jul 29th, 2011, 7:56 pm
Do I need this if i'm in Canada and have already GoogleMaps 5.80 and Google Nav from the Market?

I'm looking to see if I can use my exsting GoogleMaps with Offline Maps of Canada and US without Data Plan... and thought this is what this thread is about...

Thanks
Jul 29th, 2011, 7:56 pm
Jul 30th, 2011, 11:01 am
so i did everything as it says in the instruction and the maps and the navigation work fine for me now (thanks)

but the last part of the street view downloading it from the market is a little hard for me .. i was looking for street view all over the market and couldn't
find anything ...
can you please explain to me where im going to find the street view on the market ?

thanks
Jul 30th, 2011, 11:01 am
Jul 30th, 2011, 12:13 pm
dr.ketan wrote:
coolf1re wrote:

For details about this one can find very educative guide on XDA forum, though here describing in sort

First you need to install either of one file only, map 5.8.0 ownhere OR 5.8.0 ownhere testresign
Now who are installing first time this (world activated map) you have to remove your stock map application, as this is system app, you need to Root your phone
With titanium backup/System appl remover, first wipe data and uninstall stock google map application.

Now you can install either of above file,
If you are installing Map 5.8.0 ownhere.apk, you need to copy this file in system/app folder by using ADB, or Root Explorer.
Alternatevely you can install map 5.8.0 ownhere-testresign.apk, This file you can install like anyother apk, copy file to your memory card, browse with Astro/My files n simply install. If you get msg application not installed then you may have to repeat step of uninstall. Again download map from market, wipe out data, uninstall stock appliation n try to install resign version, it shud b done. Many time 2-3 times it happens

For those who have priorly install testresign.apk of old version, they can directly update with this testresign version(copy testresign.apk to memory card, browse with astro/My files n select to update)

Thanks dr.

i did followed all the instructions correctly for the ownhere.testresign , and after titanium backup restore of data only ,i was able to browse and use voice navigation in my galaxy tab . but once i restart my tab login fail message pops up . again after restore of data it is ok. it is really annoying every time to restore data after restart of galaxy tab. do you have any solution.

copying ownhere.apk using root explorer in system/app did not work .i am not able to see map in menu. any solution . i used this method for the previous 5.5 , 5.6 , 5.7 , but failed for 5.8. any help
Jul 30th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Jul 30th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Once you clear cache(Menu-setting-application -manage - select map- clear cache) from map, then it shud be OK
Jul 30th, 2011, 3:12 pm