Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:45 am
For "Find Places" page, when there is a route active, could the pre-canned searches be qualified as
[Gas Station] - Along route
[Restaurant] - Along route
[Parking] - Around destination

I believe that iGO does it this way be default. It seems more logical to me to have those qualification for searches rather than searching "Around Here" for all shortcuts. "Around Here" makes more sense when there is no active route. Just a suggestion, might just be my opinion that those are more logical qualifiers for the pre-canned searches.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:45 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:50 am
Feature Request:

Would it be possible to add some method to re-order the via points.

Currently it is difficult to create routes where you have via points but don't want to visit them in the order chosen by program (I believe it is shortest total distance). Workaround is to create multiple subroutes, each of which represent a portion of the master route.

Motogis skin seems to have added some ability to edit via points though I haven't seen the functionality:
viewtopic.php?f=709&t=154430&start=0

Look at the changelog comments for v2.3 and v2.31.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:50 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 2:01 am
mobu wrote:Minor bug

More->Regional->Voice Profile

Green [Next] brings you to "Time Format and Units", where [Back] button brings you back to "Voice Profile"
You are basically stuck in UI loop. The shortcut where press-and-hold [Back] button to bring you back to map can be used to workaround.

Suggest replacing Green [Next} button with Green [Done] button like the one used for "Program Language"

Thanks for letting me know. It was a misplaced "1" causing all the problems. I just uploaded a fixed version. Alternatively, if you manually go through the configuration wizard once, it'll fix the problem.

Edit:

Wow, I just saw your other posts. Looks like I have work to do. :D
Sep 2nd, 2011, 2:01 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 3:15 am
BobRobert wrote:I just uploaded a fixed version.

Verified fix.

BTW is there a reason the lane guidance is at the bottom of the screen, partially covering the vehicle icon, in landscape mode, while it is at the top of the screen (where the highway road signs sometimes show up) in portrait mode? Personally I think it looks better at the top of the screen as it doesn't interfere with the vehicle icon and current location info.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 3:15 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 3:42 am
mobu wrote:
BobRobert wrote:I just uploaded a fixed version.

Verified fix.

BTW is there a reason the lane guidance is at the bottom of the screen, partially covering the vehicle icon, in landscape mode, while it is at the top of the screen (where the highway road signs sometimes show up) in portrait mode? Personally I think it looks better at the top of the screen as it doesn't interfere with the vehicle icon and current location info.

That is the default behavior from iGO, no? I never noticed it because I use it in portrait mode most of the time. I agree that both being at the top is better.

I'm working on your other suggestions too. The keyboard one will be the hardest to fix. I'll put that one off until last.

The pre-canned searches don't show up when you are adding a via. You see that page only when you are picking your destination. That is why they all search "around here". I'll see if I can add a page for them with the layout you want. If you already have a route and you want to change the destination and not add a via, that search page does show up with the settings you want.

Keep the suggestions coming.....but you may want to make a list and post them all at once.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 3:42 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 4:47 am
BobRobert wrote:
mobu wrote:BTW is there a reason the lane guidance is at the bottom of the screen, partially covering the vehicle icon, in landscape mode, while it is at the top of the screen (where the highway road signs sometimes show up) in portrait mode? Personally I think it looks better at the top of the screen as it doesn't interfere with the vehicle icon and current location info.

That is the default behavior from iGO, no? I never noticed it because I use it in portrait mode most of the time. I agree that both being at the top is better.

Regarding Lane Guidance

After comparing the standard one, I realized they had it at the bottom also (in landscape), but since they don't support detailed current address info, they have it level with [Distance] and [Stop] at the bottom of the screen and it looks ok because it doesn't cover up the vehicle icon.

Since the custom skin supports detailed address, perhaps it would be better to place the lane guidance at the top like the portrait version. I can't say for sure it wouldn't cover your forward path, but there are already Highway Signs showing up at the top and the lane guidance is less intrusive than those, so it probably would look decent.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 4:47 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 5:19 am
BobRobert wrote:The pre-canned searches don't show up when you are adding a via. You see that page only when you are picking your destination. That is why they all search "around here". I'll see if I can add a page for them with the layout you want. If you already have a route and you want to change the destination and not add a via, that search page does show up with the settings you want.

Ah, I didn't check what happened when you long-pressed "Add Via". Yes the search qualifiers do show up that way when there is an active route and "Add Via" is changed back to "Destination" via long-press.

With standard iGO, "Destination" gives the option of adding a new destination or adding a single via point. This makes the process of plotting to a restaurant or gas station on your route very natural as you just bring up "Find Places" and add the gas station as a via, keeping your destination the same. Unfortunately they only support a single via.

With the skin, since "Destination" is changed to "Add Via" when an active route is present, you lose that ability to add a Gas Station or Restaurant on your route as a quick via through the canned searches. If you change "Add Via" to "Destination", then the canned searches have those qualifiers, but unfortunately if you select them, they will now replace your current destination, instead of being a short via/detour to get gas or food after which you continue to your original destination.

Now you can still find gas stations or restaurants near you through the standard search (as opposed to canned convenience searches), but you have to use many more steps [Select Along Route] [Select Find by Category] [Scroll to Gas Station or Restaurant] [Select Show All]

So I think it makes sense to have Find Places for the "Add Via" come up with the canned convenience searches and have the qualifiers be the same as "Destination" when an active route is present.

Hope that came out clear enough to understand the reasoning.

Also the canned searches in standard iGO display the distance to the nearest item in each category when the qualifier is specific (like "Around Here" or "At My Destination"). I think it would be useful to also display the nearest location for "On My Route" but for some reason they don't. It looks like this:

Find Places - No Active Route
0.35mi [Gas Station] - Around Here
0.34mi [Restaurant] - Around Here
1.0mi [Parking] - Around Here
[Other Places]

Find Places - Active Route
[Gas Station] - On My Route
[Restaurant] - On My Route
200 ft [Parking] - At My Destination
[Other Places]

The skin currently does not display any distance info.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 5:19 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:27 am
I believe in one of your updates you placed the custom .wav files from the audio directory into the .apk. That was a welcome addition. However it seems !alert6.wav is still the original annoying siren sound rather than the more pleasant alert from the audio directory.

Suggest replacing !alert6.wav with the one from the audio directory.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:27 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:35 am
Navigation page->Quick Menu

Currently the Landscape mode matches up well with standard iGO with just the addition of enhanced skin functionality

However Portrait mode both deviates from standard iGO layout and is missing Colors/Day/Night mode.

Standard iGO Portrait quick menu looks like this:
Quick Menu
[Map/3d] [Favorites]
[Zoom] [Where Am I]
[Colors]

[Back]

Current skin Portrait quick menu looks like this:
Quick Menu
[Map/3d] [Zoom]
[Favorites] [Where Am I]
[Cancel Rt] [Glass]

[Volume]
[Back]

Suggest changing skin Portrait quick menu to look like this:
Quick Menu
[Map/3d] [Favorites]
[Zoom] [Where Am I]
[Colors] [Glass]
[Cancel Rt]
[Volume]
[Back]

This will match up better with standard iGO Portrait menu and add back the missing Colors/Day/Night mode option.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:35 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:45 am
Currently bottom of Landscape "Destination" selection page looks like this:
[Back] [Lat. & Long.] [Load Route]

For bottom of Portrait "Destination" selection page there is no room for "Load Route" so it looks like this
[Back] [Lat. & Long.]

"Load Route" seems to be a more useful feature than "Lat. & Long.", at least for auto navigation.

Suggest replacing [Lat. & Long.] with [Load Route] in Portrait Destination selection page so it looks like this:
[Back] [Load Route]

If being nit-picky, could make Landscape "Destination" selection page look consistant:
[Back] [Load Route] [Lat. & Long.]
Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:45 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:46 am
Here is the summary of suggestions you asked for:

Fixed (v42 9/1 reload) - viewtopic.php?p=858119#858119
Suggestion: Fix UI loop when selecting Voice Profile
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858090#858090

Audio
Suggestion: Replace !alert6.wav (annoying siren) in apk with the one from audio directory
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858283#858283

Navigation Page->Quick Menu
Suggestion: Add missing Colors/Day/Night mode to Portrait, It is present in Landscape
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858288#858288

Lane Guidance
Suggestion: move lane guidance to top of screen for landscape mode as it partially covers vehicle icon and detailed current location
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858249#858249

Keyboard
Suggestion: Sync up keyboard with standard iGO
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858098#858098

Find Places
Suggestion: For "Add Via" include canned searches page with "On My Route" and "At My Destination" qualifiers. Same as "Destination" when there is Active Route.
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858265#858265

Find Places
Suggestion: Sync up with standard iGO, add "distance to nearest" information for canned searches

Destination selection page
Suggestion: Add missing "Load Route" to Portrait Destination selection page
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858292#858292

Suggestion: Feature request - add ability to edit via point ordering
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858105#858105
Sep 2nd, 2011, 6:46 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 8:22 am
mobu wrote:Here is the summary of suggestions you asked for:

Fixed (v42 9/1 reload) - viewtopic.php?p=858119#858119
Suggestion: Fix UI loop when selecting Voice Profile
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858090#858090

Fixed!
mobu wrote:Audio
Suggestion: Replace !alert6.wav (annoying siren) in apk with the one from audio directory
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858283#858283

Fixed - next release
mobu wrote:Navigation Page->Quick Menu
Suggestion: Add missing Colors/Day/Night mode to Portrait, It is present in Landscape
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858288#858288

Fixed - next release
mobu wrote:Lane Guidance
Suggestion: move lane guidance to top of screen for landscape mode as it partially covers vehicle icon and detailed current location
Details: viewtopic.php?p=858249#858249

Fixed - next release
mobu wrote:Keyboard

Harder than you would think to fix.
mobu wrote:Find Places
Suggestion: For "Add Via" include canned searches page with "On My Route" and "At My Destination" qualifiers. Same as "Destination" when there is Active Route.

Fixed (sorta)- next release
mobu wrote:Find Places
Suggestion: Sync up with standard iGO, add "distance to nearest" information for canned searches

All the components are there to show the distance to the nearest item, but for some reason it doesn't show. The code is almost identical to standard igo. I'll have to look at it for a bit.
mobu wrote:Destination selection page

This is more of a preference. There isn't enough room for both long/lat and load route in portrait mode. You can always switch to landscape to select it.

mobu wrote:Suggestion: Feature request - add ability to edit via point ordering

I'm having a hard time finding example code to rip off. Do you know of any igo skins with this ability? FYI, if you long press "Itinerary" in the navigation menu, you can delete select via points.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 8:22 am
Sep 2nd, 2011, 1:48 pm
===
Regarding the other items, you are great. Look forward to trying them out.
===

BobRobert wrote:

I was thinking instead of redoing the keyboard, just grabbing it from standard iGO. Is this possible or is that what you are saying is difficult? See the "Details" link for an illustration of how the standard keyboard is organized. It works out very nicely and is easy to use. They use alphabetic ordering with large finger-friendly buttons for Portrait and QWERTY ordering for Landscape.

BobRobert wrote:
mobu wrote:Destination selection page

This is more of a preference. There isn't enough room for both long/lat and load route in portrait mode. You can always switch to landscape to select it.

Understood. No big deal. I listed the rationale for replacing "Lat. & Long." with "Load Route" in the "Details" link, but I understand it is a preference. Basically almost never use "Lat. & Long." whereas "Load Route" is used quite often with pre-planned routes. Figure if there needs to be a compromise, the more used option should be displayed. The less used option would continue to be available in Landscape. Understand everyone uses the application differently.

BobRobert wrote:
mobu wrote:Suggestion: Feature request - add ability to edit via point ordering

I'm having a hard time finding example code to rip off. Do you know of any igo skins with this ability? FYI, if you long press "Itinerary" in the navigation menu, you can delete select via points.

I listed a possible source in the "Details" link. Basically MotoGIS skin release notes seem to indicate it has the ability to edit via points. I haven't actually seen it, so am not sure if what they are describing is the same thing though. Link to MotoGIS thread is in the "Details" link.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 1:48 pm
Sep 2nd, 2011, 7:22 pm
Hey BobRobert...just wanted to say THANKS for the work you're doing. Not many skins available for HVGA and yours is the best. Keep up the good work.
Quick question: I see that for speedcams if you provide a txt file it will convert it as speedcamupdates.spud...do you know if old "spud" files work as well (from PNA)? I don't think the structure has changed.
I guess I can copy one and try...worse case it won't start.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 7:22 pm
Sep 2nd, 2011, 8:35 pm
mobu wrote:
BobRobert wrote:

I was thinking instead of redoing the keyboard, just grabbing it from standard iGO. Is this possible or is that what you are saying is difficult? See the "Details" link for an illustration of how the standard keyboard is organized. It works out very nicely and is easy to use. They use alphabetic ordering with large finger-friendly buttons for Portrait and QWERTY ordering for Landscape.

Not sure if this helps or not. I was looking into how they did Alphabetic for Portrait and QWERTY for Landscape and saw these references. I trust you've looked into this already, so there's probably more to change, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I'm not sure where the keyboard UI itself defined. This seems to be the labeling of the keys. Possibly "Type" and "Family" select the keyboard UI? I was looking for a .ui file to define the ui_kbd_10_9_7 layer but couldn't find it.

I'm rambling a bit. Hope something in there can be of help.

There's obviously more stuff in these files. Just listed excerpts.

project_config/igo_android.ini
Code: Select all[keyboard]
panels=   "ui_android/common/keyboard.ini"
panels_m3="ui_android/common/keyboard_m3.ini"
panels_m4="ui_android/common/keyboard_m4.ini"

(landscape kbd)
ui_android/common/keyboard_m3.ini
Code: Select all[panel]
name=      "Default"
layer=      "ui_kbd_10_9_7"
keys=      "QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM"
shiftkeys=   "QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM"