Sep 9th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Something went wrong with your installation if it is not showing V44 in your about page. I'd recommend uninstalling the apk and installing the new one. Or using the thin version of igo and placing the data.gro on the sdcard.
Sep 9th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Sep 9th, 2011, 5:56 pm
I could do that, but the amount of time required to reconfigure the preferences is significant. Will try to back up my "Save" folder and hope it works. OOPS!!! It's not on the card.
My data.gro IS on the SD card :)
That could be it...although I followed your instructions:

<<4. If you are using the Samsung Galaxy optimized version (v179971) then you should also copy the files to /sdcard/IGo. If you use the Thin version, you only need to put the files in /sdcard/IGo and you can skip steps 2 and 3. >>

Did I misinterpret it? Ah...it says "you should ALSO copy". Unfortunately I don't have a rooted phone.

What is the difference between the normal and thin version?
Sep 9th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Sep 9th, 2011, 6:32 pm
OK...bit the bullet and reinstalled...of course had to wipe cached data and reconfigure.
- In "Sound and warnings" once you click on the speaker to mute, it stays muted even if you re-click. Have to go back and re-enter the sound setting to change.
- in the quick settings menu muting the speaker does not mute the key sounds
- setting the "start navigation from" puts you in a loop: once the destination is selected you're stuck in entering the house #
- same if selecting the Intersection, you end up in a loop...in the end this function does not work since you have to go back to exit the loop, and nothing is selected
- selecting QWERTY in Regional settings does not change the keyboard from "default ABCD"

I'll add more after getting on the road.
Cheers!
Sep 9th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Sep 9th, 2011, 9:10 pm
ipse wrote:- In "Sound and warnings" once you click on the speaker to mute, it stays muted even if you re-click. Have to go back and re-enter the sound setting to change.
- in the quick settings menu muting the speaker does not mute the key sounds

I tried the mute button in Sound and Warnings, and it seems to toggle correctly for me. I pressed Mute over and over and it kept toggling. Also I separately tested each mute/unmute from both Sound and Warnings and Quick Menu, and went to navigation to verify voice guidance was/wasn't muted appropriately. I don't know if mute is intended to mute the key sounds, but it is consistent, neither Sound and Warnings nor Quick Menu mute buttons affect the key sounds.

I tested Portrait and Landscape versions of Sound and Warnings and Quick Menu.

ipse wrote:- setting the "start navigation from" puts you in a loop: once the destination is selected you're stuck in entering the house #
- same if selecting the Intersection, you end up in a loop...in the end this function does not work since you have to go back to exit the loop, and nothing is selected

I've never seen a "start navigation from" option so I got curious and went hunting around. The closest thing I could find was Settings->Starting Position. When I enter House # or Intersection in that page, it does go to the navigation page with GPS turned off and offers me the opportunity to turn on demo mode.

Is that the option you are talking about or something else?

I tested both Portrait and Landscape versions.

ipse wrote:- selecting QWERTY in Regional settings does not change the keyboard from "default ABCD"

It does for me, in landscape mode. I don't think it makes sense to use QWERTY layout in Portrait mode as there aren't enough buttons to do the QWERTY layout, so it would have a strange ordering.
Sep 9th, 2011, 9:10 pm
Sep 9th, 2011, 9:18 pm
Minor bug:

Destination->Find on Map->More Options->Find a City

Both Portrait and Landscape modes have messed up text.
Sep 9th, 2011, 9:18 pm
Sep 10th, 2011, 3:02 pm
ipse wrote:I could do that, but the amount of time required to reconfigure the preferences is significant. Will try to back up my "Save" folder and hope it works. OOPS!!! It's not on the card.
My data.gro IS on the SD card :)
That could be it...although I followed your instructions:

<<4. If you are using the Samsung Galaxy optimized version (v179971) then you should also copy the files to /sdcard/IGo. If you use the Thin version, you only need to put the files in /sdcard/IGo and you can skip steps 2 and 3. >>

Did I misinterpret it? Ah...it says "you should ALSO copy". Unfortunately I don't have a rooted phone.

What is the difference between the normal and thin version?

The thin version keeps only a single copy of data.gro, and it keeps it on the SDcard. So when you want to upgrade the skin, you swap out the data.gro on the sd card and you're done.

For the sounds and warnings, if you check or uncheck "key sounds" the setting is not implemented until you leave the sounds and warning page. I think this is done for obvious reasons. Imagine that you are trying to be quite so you go to silence the key sounds. Why should the action of setting the key sounds to off make more key sounds?

The in app mute only effects the voice guidance. There is nothing I can do about that. I always turn key sounds off anyways. I hate the beeping.

I couldn't replicate your starting position loop. Can you give me a step by step guide to causing it? Including the settings you have set? Make sure to check the about page and confirm that you are using v44.

The keyboard in portrait mode was purposely made to be abcd no matter the keyboard selection because there was no good way to implement qwerty. This is the default igo behavior too.
Sep 10th, 2011, 3:02 pm
Sep 10th, 2011, 3:48 pm
BobRobert wrote:The thin version keeps only a single copy of data.gro, and it keeps it on the SDcard. So when you want to upgrade the skin, you swap out the data.gro on the sd card and you're done.

I couldn't replicate your starting position loop. Can you give me a step by step guide to causing it? Including the settings you have set? Make sure to check the about page and confirm that you are using v44.

The keyboard in portrait mode was purposely made to be abcd no matter the keyboard selection because there was no good way to implement qwerty. This is the default igo behavior too.

Thanks for the quick reply and explanations.
So am I correct in saying that the thin version does NOT lose any functionality, it's just the way it handles the data file(s)?
I'd like to have everything on SD (so I don't have to reinstall to get a new skin) but not at the expense of functionality. BTW...where is the thin version (I'll search around...).
As far as the starting position, I realized the loop exists only when there is NO GPS signal acquired. I tried again with GPS on and it worked. But it kind of defeats the purpose for a simulation. No biggie anyways, I almost never use the feature (other than do a simulation when I know I have to drive in an unknown, complicated area - ex. last time I had to go from the Newark NJ airport to another place in NJ in a rental).
I did verified immediately after install that I have v44. Reconfiguration is not so bad on Android version, I was thinking the WinCE version, where there is indeed a "save" folder and a ton of preferences.
Sep 10th, 2011, 3:48 pm
Sep 10th, 2011, 5:03 pm
You won't lose any functionality with the thin version. All of the capabilities are built into the data.gro.

Oh ok, the loop only happens without gps. I'll give it shot to see if it loops. Thanks.
Sep 10th, 2011, 5:03 pm
Sep 10th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Minor bug:

I'm unable to delete any of the pre-populated routes permanently. I can delete them and they don't show up any more for that session, but once I exit and restart, they reappear.

The same problem does not exist for user created routes. They can be deleted permanently.
Sep 10th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Sep 10th, 2011, 7:05 pm
ipse wrote:As far as the starting position, I realized the loop exists only when there is NO GPS signal acquired. I tried again with GPS on and it worked. But it kind of defeats the purpose for a simulation. No biggie anyways, I almost never use the feature (other than do a simulation when I know I have to drive in an unknown, complicated area - ex. last time I had to go from the Newark NJ airport to another place in NJ in a rental)

One way to use start position is for creating pre-planned routes. When you set starting position to say something like Chicago, it then disables GPS (even if you previously had it on). Then you can route to something like St. Louis and preview/simulate the route with GPS disabled. If you don't like the route they chose for you, you can use "Add Via" to select different highways to take. Then when you are done, you can use "My Route"->More Options to save the route. That way you don't have to futz around with the correct route in a panic when you in a rush in an area you are not familiar with. You can do all that in the comfort of your home.

This is quite useful as the default routes aren't always the best routes.
Sep 10th, 2011, 7:05 pm
Sep 10th, 2011, 11:28 pm
mobu wrote:Minor bug:

I'm unable to delete any of the pre-populated routes permanently. I can delete them and they don't show up any more for that session, but once I exit and restart, they reappear.

The same problem does not exist for user created routes. They can be deleted permanently.

That is the default igo behavior because the routes are embedded into the data.gro. The only way to delete the routes is to permanently remove them from the gro.

ipse wrote:As far as the starting position, I realized the loop exists only when there is NO GPS signal acquired. I tried again with GPS on and it worked. But it kind of defeats the purpose for a simulation. No biggie anyways, I almost never use the feature (other than do a simulation when I know I have to drive in an unknown, complicated area - ex. last time I had to go from the Newark NJ airport to another place in NJ in a rental)

I looked into this and this is the default igo behavior when you have the GPS set to off in the android settings. If the GPS is on and you happen to not have a location fix yet, you'll still be able to set a starting position. As long as you have GPS enabled in the android settings you'll be fine.
Not really worth it to try to find a fix. Don't disable your GPS while trying to use a GPS program :D
Sep 10th, 2011, 11:28 pm
Sep 11th, 2011, 1:55 am
BobRobert wrote:That is the default igo behavior because the routes are embedded into the data.gro. The only way to delete the routes is to permanently remove them from the gro.

Any issues with removing the embedded routes from data.gro? I don't think the really serve any purpose other than being examples, and after that they just become clutter. The user-created routes can be easily added and removed with no issues. I guess if they are really wanted, the pre-loaded routes can be reconstituted as user-created routes and distributed that way.
Sep 11th, 2011, 1:55 am
Sep 11th, 2011, 9:37 pm
Updated to v45:

Only minor updates to the skin.
Added the 800x480 skin but it is still in beta testing.
Known issues with 800x480:
    You can only add the default type of speed cameras. The options for different cameras are missing.
    Some pages cause forces closes.
Sep 11th, 2011, 9:37 pm
Sep 12th, 2011, 9:16 am
Hi, another great release. The little minor bugs are mostly fixed. There is one left in Route Preview/My Route described here:
viewtopic.php?p=863275#863275

Also, would it be possible to add the "Load Route" button to the "Add Via" Landscape page. Currently it is only in the "Destination" page, but sometimes you are have a current route but want to switch to an alternate route. There is no "Load Route" button in "Add Via", so you either need to cancel the current route then use "Destination" or long-press "Add Via" to change it to "Destination" Both are doable, but a little unwieldy in one case, and not obvious for the new user in the second case.
Sep 12th, 2011, 9:16 am
Sep 12th, 2011, 10:43 am
I live in Australia and I have the Australia maps. The biggest problem I have is with TTS, the streets are announced as "Turn left onto S26" instead of saying "Turn left onto Punt road". I haven't tried your version, but do you know if this is fixable/changable?
Sep 12th, 2011, 10:43 am