Sep 12th, 2011, 3:41 pm
Gents, following BobRobert's suggestion, I installed the Thin client (so that I can easily change the data.gro that he's constantly improving).
After tweaking sys.txt a bit I got it working just fine.

Any of you guys care to share a sys.txt so that I can check if the paths I modded are needed and if I missed something? The thin client creates a defautl sys.txt (which did not work in my case) and I never had to create one with BobRobert's version (I'm sure there was a default that I could not see not having root access).
Cheers....

PS. Thanks for looking into my "observations". I see your point about GPS being off (actually I wasn't getting a signal inside the house...). As for the keyboard, I can live with that
Sep 12th, 2011, 3:41 pm
Sep 12th, 2011, 4:40 pm
mobu wrote:Hi, another great release. The little minor bugs are mostly fixed. There is one left in Route Preview/My Route described here:
viewtopic.php?p=863275#863275

Also, would it be possible to add the "Load Route" button to the "Add Via" Landscape page. Currently it is only in the "Destination" page, but sometimes you are have a current route but want to switch to an alternate route. There is no "Load Route" button in "Add Via", so you either need to cancel the current route then use "Destination" or long-press "Add Via" to change it to "Destination" Both are doable, but a little unwieldy in one case, and not obvious for the new user in the second case.

I must have missed that bug. I'll try to fix it for the next release. Thanks.

Here is the problem with having "Load Route" in the add via page. It will set a new destination. So it will not have the expected effect of selecting vias. As it is now, most novices will cancel the route and then select Load Route, and the more experienced will long press "Add Via" to get to "Destination" and then select Load Route. I think that is a fair compromise. I would add Load Route to the map menu, but there is very little space there.

thedrwho wrote:I live in Australia and I have the Australia maps. The biggest problem I have is with TTS, the streets are announced as "Turn left onto S26" instead of saying "Turn left onto Punt road". I haven't tried your version, but do you know if this is fixable/changable?

Your best best is to try a different set of maps, either older or newer. The way the roads are said changes drastically from version to version. The skin has no control over such things. The map creates the words to be spoken by the tts. That is then fed into your built in android tts engine that reads it. You could also try installing a tts engine in android that reads "S26" and understands and translates it to "Punt Road". Most tts engines have an abbreviation list. Come to think of it, your tts voice zip has an abbreviation list. You can try to mod that, but it will be a pain if you have to create an abbreviation for every road.
Sep 12th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Sep 13th, 2011, 12:08 am
BobRobert wrote:
thedrwho wrote:I live in Australia and I have the Australia maps. The biggest problem I have is with TTS, the streets are announced as "Turn left onto S26" instead of saying "Turn left onto Punt road". I haven't tried your version, but do you know if this is fixable/changable?

Your best best is to try a different set of maps, either older or newer. The way the roads are said changes drastically from version to version. The skin has no control over such things. The map creates the words to be spoken by the tts. That is then fed into your built in android tts engine that reads it. You could also try installing a tts engine in android that reads "S26" and understands and translates it to "Punt Road". Most tts engines have an abbreviation list. Come to think of it, your tts voice zip has an abbreviation list. You can try to mod that, but it will be a pain if you have to create an abbreviation for every road.

Its not the translation of S26 to "Punt Road", its more of an 'alternate name' type feature. I reemmber on iGO for Windows Mobile, there was a way to edit the sys.txt. I'm using a phone that is not rooted, and I'm wondering if you know if there is a setting in there?
Sep 13th, 2011, 12:08 am
Sep 13th, 2011, 2:49 am
thedrwho wrote:
Its not the translation of S26 to "Punt Road", its more of an 'alternate name' type feature. I reemmber on iGO for Windows Mobile, there was a way to edit the sys.txt. I'm using a phone that is not rooted, and I'm wondering if you know if there is a setting in there?

If you can find the sys.txt setting, I can see what I can do about it. Here is the default sys.txt included with the skin now:

Code: Select all[project]
name="igo_android"

[device]
type="android"

[rawdisplay]
screen_xy="800_480:800x442/480x762,480_320:480x295/320x455,320_240:320x221/240x301"
highres=0
double_screen=0
show_cursor=0
combine_dirty=1

[folders]
; secondary_root_path="iGO"
; has_secondary_root=1
; sdcardpath="/mnt/sdcard"
linked_root_list="/sdcard2/iGO /sdcard/iGO /sdcard/sd/iGO /mnt/sdcard/iGO /mnt/sd/iGO /mnt/iGO /storage/iGO /mnt/sdcard/sd/iGO"

[services]
server_addr="https://android.naviextras.com/"
factory_license_code_filename="%sdcard%/iGO/prepaid"
software_download_location="https://android.naviextras.com/dlapk"
delete_callstack=1

[tmc-http]
enabled=0

[android]
logcat_file_delay=50

[gps]
location_net=0
check_gps_timestamp=1

[tts]
tts_buffer=131072
tts_logics=3
priority="HIGH"
always_say_road_names=1
announce_street_name=1
announce_exit_directions=1
skip_exit_numbers=1

[sound.announcer]
gps_signal_lost=0
gps_disconnected=0

[sound]
queue_length=200
ding=0
use_os_volume=1

[debug]
autosave=1
experimental_features=1
show_gps_pos=1
show_pedestrian=1
poi_labels=1
show_arrows_on_route=1
enable_buildings=1
show_speed_limit=1
supress_trivial_left=1
supress_trivial_right=1
supress_straight=1
enable_roadshadow=1
show_residentonly=1
enable_roadsign=1
enable_landmark_occlusion=1
show_oneway_3d=1
show_oneway=1
show_signpost=1
background_navigation=1
screen_calibration=1
skip_eula=1
reserve_memory=1835008
tts_min_ready_wav=1
tts_getaway_time=100
tts_expected_engine_delay=1400
sound_q_length=200

[itiner]
show_only_ahead_of_car=1

; End of sys.txt  ;
Sep 13th, 2011, 2:49 am
Sep 13th, 2011, 3:16 pm
Try

announce_street_name=3 <<<mixed opinions from iGO users as to what it does, but some claim it will read the street name. Haven't tried it yet.

BTW: to have your sys.txt exposed and editable, you will have to install the Thin client - not the one BobRobert has packaged with his skin. Google Thin 1.5 qHD (original resolution does not matter since you will use THIS data.gro).
Sep 13th, 2011, 3:16 pm
Sep 14th, 2011, 2:27 am
Updated to V46:

Added expanded "My Route" capabilities
Fixed skin alignment and animation issues
800x480 is ready for prime time
Moved to using iGO Thin as the recommended apk
Added any resolution skin. This has a modified apk such that any device with screen size of 480x320 or bigger can use it. It uses androids built-in multi-resolution capabilities. It should work on any device but is intended for high resolution tablet devices.
Sep 14th, 2011, 2:27 am
Sep 14th, 2011, 4:14 am
As usual, great release.

Really the most user friendly skin out there. Compared to V41Fix12 this has so many improvements making it a pleasure to use.
Sep 14th, 2011, 4:14 am
Sep 14th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Thanks for the new release...now that I installed the thin version it's much easier to change.
Sep 14th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Sep 15th, 2011, 1:49 am
Updated to v47:

I fixed major alignment issues with the 800x480 skin.
I also did minor updates to both resolutions.
I fixed an issue that caused some to not be able to use iGO Thin.
Sorry for the rapid updates. This will be the last update for a little while.
Sep 15th, 2011, 1:49 am
Sep 15th, 2011, 6:50 am
BTW is there a reason you got rid of the battery bar in v46, then the time in v47?
Sep 15th, 2011, 6:50 am
Sep 15th, 2011, 8:01 am
mobu wrote:BTW is there a reason you got rid of the battery bar in v46, then the time in v47?

The battery icon doesn't/didn't work in android. So, although it looked nice, it was worthless. The time, I got rid of it because the android taskbar has the time, and also, the time didn't look right without the battery icon there. I almost got rid of the GPS icon to balance the screen, but that does work. I may add something in the next release to balance the screen.
Sep 15th, 2011, 8:01 am
Sep 15th, 2011, 1:14 pm
BobRobert wrote:The battery icon doesn't/didn't work in android. So, although it looked nice, it was worthless.

You are probably right, but I had a vague recollection that if I long pressed the battery icon it gave me a text # % that got updated, but it was a long time ago, so I possibly just assumed something.
Sep 15th, 2011, 1:14 pm
Sep 15th, 2011, 3:19 pm
I'm all in favor of avoiding icon duplication (time, battery, even GPS) since my screen is only 3.2" :)
Sep 15th, 2011, 3:19 pm
Sep 15th, 2011, 6:32 pm
is this the full program or just the skin? i though skin was just data.gro.

so i uninstalled my thin1.5, tried the 'stretched' apk...basically copied /igo stuff over to my igo folder and then ran the apk...
when it started it said installing igo, then it error with the '...exit igo, delete device.nng...activation codes...powercycle..' nonsense.
I already have the [debug]imei=000000000000000 in my sys.txt...not sure why i still get that error.

so how do u install this?

i'm installing on a acer a500...so i'd like to see it stretched
Sep 15th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Sep 15th, 2011, 8:42 pm
This is just a skin, but I created that apk for people like you that have high res screens that aren't supported yet.

Try reinstalling the apk. This time, remove everything from the sdcard (rename the folder), and put on the sdcard only the files included with the apk. If that still fails to fix the problem, try manually placing this sys.txt:
http://www.multiupload.com/5KB66T2MNH

In the folder
/data/data/com.navngo.igo.javaclient/
and then running the program again. Once you can get the app to load, copy over your content folder to the sdcard to get your maps and what not.

I have not tested this outside of an emulator, but others have reported that it works. It works best with Android 3.2 and up.

If that still fails to work, install the Thin iGO and download the 800x480 skin. Next place this line in your sys.txt:
screen_xy="1280_800:800x442/480x762"

It's not the best option, but it should work.
Sep 15th, 2011, 8:42 pm