If it does not belong anywhere else and has to do with Pocket PCs post it here.
Jul 4th, 2010, 3:23 pm
my windows media player won't play *.mp4 files anymore.
it used to play them without any problems just click on the file and it will play.
now when I click on the file, it gives me an error; cannot play the file.
However, if I go to the library of WMP, it will play ok.
now the other problem is whenever I play any movie, not all of them will play in landscape although it used to play all of them in landscape
please help
Jul 4th, 2010, 3:23 pm
Jul 7th, 2010, 8:30 pm
What type of phone do you have and what version of wm are you running?
Jul 7th, 2010, 8:30 pm
Jan 27th, 2011, 6:15 pm
stop fiddling with media player for movie viewing. go get yourself coreplayer instead. for mobile video watching this app is barnone the best since the invention of the smartphone!
Jan 27th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Jul 31st, 2013, 11:01 am
raed972 wrote:my windows media player won't play *.mp4 files anymore.
it used to play them without any problems just click on the file and it will play.
now the other problem is whenever I play any movie, not all of them will play in landscape although it used to play all of them in landscape
please help

According to Microsoft support website, Windows Media Player still won't support MP4 files. Though we can make WMP play MP4 video by install some codec, sometime we still encounter can't play MP4 in Windows Media Player issue. MP4 is a container format which may contain multiple video and audio streams. And the video and audio stream can be encoded any of several ways. If the MP4 video or audio codec is not WMP installed codec supported one, Windows Media Player won't play MP4 video of this kind.

In order to solve "Windows Media Player won't play MP4 files even when the appropriate codec is installed" and to successfully play any MP4 video in Windows Media Player, we had better convert MP4 to Windows Media Player more supported video format like WMV, AVI.

Step by step guide at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/windows-media-player-mp4.html
Jul 31st, 2013, 11:01 am
Aug 1st, 2013, 10:04 am
Windows media player just can recognize wmv,avi and so on, so it won't play mp4 file. so you need to convert the mp4 file to wmv or avi.

i recommend you a very useful tool which can finish the conversion. just click:http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/mp4-windows-media-player-how-to-play-mp4-in-windows-media-player.html

hope it helps
Aug 1st, 2013, 10:04 am
Jul 7th, 2014, 3:24 pm
To make WMP support MP4 format, you should install filters for MP4 format and its associated codecs. After you install these filters, all players that use DirectShow technology, include WMP, will support MP4 format. There are a bunch of third party codec packs on the internet that support not only MP4 format, but also many other common formats. Just Google "codec pack", you will find K-Like and CCCP are the most famous of them.

What if you cannot install codec pack? For example, you will play MP4 on other people's computer and you are not authorized to install any program? On this situation, convert your MP4 to WMP natively supported WMV or AVI format is the best choice at: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/mp4-windows-media-player.html
Jul 7th, 2014, 3:24 pm
Jul 30th, 2015, 7:25 am
danielkathee wrote:
raed972 wrote:my windows media player won't play *.mp4 files anymore.
please help

According to Microsoft support website, Windows Media Player still won't support MP4 files. Though we can make WMP play MP4 video by install some codec, sometime we still encounter can't play MP4 in Windows Media Player issue. MP4 is a container format which may contain multiple video and audio streams. And the video and audio stream can be encoded any of several ways. If the MP4 video or audio codec is not WMP installed codec supported one, Windows Media Player won't play MP4 video of this kind.

In order to solve "Windows Media Player won't play MP4 files even when the appropriate codec is installed" and to successfully play any MP4 video in Windows Media Player, we had better convert MP4 to Windows Media Player more supported video format like WMV, AVI.

Step by step guide at http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/windows-media-player-mp4.html

Thank you so much for sharing this useful guide and solution. Now I can easily play any MP4 file on my Windows Media Player
Jul 30th, 2015, 7:25 am