Feb 4th, 2012, 2:20 pm
Reviewed PC freeware:

CPU-Z v1.59
    an application that displays in-depth information about the goings on and goings on of your machine.
Advanced Renamer v3.21
    Useful application for renaming all my photos
Paint.NET v3.5.10
    open-source photo editing application
COMICAL v0.8
    Comical is a portable CBR and CBZ viewer
STDU Viewer v1.6.66
    Simple document viewer for PDF, XPS, CBR and more
Mp3tag v2.49b
    The universal Tag Editor and more ...
Exact Audio Copy v1.0 beta 3
    Outstanding in its ability to handle CD imperfections
CDex v1.70 (Beta 4 2009)
    Recording straight from analog input.
SUMo v2.17.1.136
    The best software update monitor
CCleaner v3.15.1643
    The number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC.
Empty Temp Folders
    A good companion to CCleaner
CleanUp! v4.5.2
    Free disk space & protect your privacy
PC Decrapifier v2.2.8
    The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk
wikidPad v2.3 Beta 02
    Store your information without having to go online.
Q-Dir v4.95
    The most awesome file manager I've ever tried.
Free Download Manager v3.8 build 1173
    Speeds up the acquisition of multiple downloads
Screenshot Captor v3.00
    So many great features that can greatly improve your workflow.
Fass v0.8
    Forum post editor & automated post generator.
KeePass v2.18
    A helpful directory for remembering passwords
Kalkules v1.8.0.15
    An universal scientific freeware calculator with an amount of nontraditional functions
VDownloader v3.6.943
    Free, easy-to-use video file downloader
SoftPerfect Network Scanner v5.4
    A free and easy way to scan your network.
music2pc v2.12
    An amazing software for music lovers
Stickies v7.1b
    Computerised version of yellow notes.
CleanMem v2.3.1
    More memory is always better!
HandBrake v0.9.5
    Multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder
Calibre v0.8.38
    Your E-book virtual librarian
CDisplayEx v1.8
    A unique combination of image viewer and archive reader
HoneyView Build#5834
    A simple graphics viewer supporting archived image file for comics/manga/photos
ComicRack v0.9.152
    A powerful and free program which lets you read downloaded comics in many formats
Format Factory v2.90
    A multifunctional media converter.

Overviews
  1. Digital Comic Book Readers (here)
Feb 4th, 2012, 2:20 pm
Feb 4th, 2012, 2:21 pm
Program: CPU-Z v1.59
Released here

How's Your CPU?
    Computers are a very useful tool in our life. Everything is automated nowadays. Due to them we are now working faster, better and innovations are streaming. There is an application for every field of activity. Of course, some softwares are better, some are just an obstacle. OK, so the software is actually doing all the hard work, some of you would say. But what about the hardware that keeps the software 'alive'? Have you thought about that?

It is actually the hardware components that make our work easier. If you do not believe me, try working on the latest PhotoShop edition on a 950MHz CPU and you will understand perfectly what I am talking about.

I am sure that most of you are paying attention to the hardware on your computer only when you buy it. That's all right, as long as you are up to date with the latest technology and you choose compatible components.

The software I am going to present in the next lines is an application that displays in-depth information about the goings on and goings on of your machine. CPU-Z is a free of charge program produced by CPUID that will provide you comprehensive info about important components on your computer.

Although the software is called CPU-Z misleading us into thinking that it is strictly processor monitoring tool, the interface is equipped with five tabs, out of which only the first two are CPU related. The rest of them display characteristics of the mainboard and memory.

So, the interface of the software is not too hype and the aesthetics is not one of its strengths. But that's OK, because otherwise you may have missed the data provided. The first tab is called CPU and it will show you information on the processor of your computer. But first of all, here's a list with the supported processors: Intel's latest i486, Pentium, Pentium MMX, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Celeron (P2/P3/P4/PM), Pentium!!!, Pentium !!!-M, Pentium 4, Pentium 4-M, Pentium M, Xeon (P2/P3/P4), Pentium D, Pentium XE, Core Solo, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme;

For AMD there are the Am5x86, K5, K6, K6-2, K6-III, K6-2+, K6-III+, Athlon (4, XP, MP), Duron, Sempron (K7/K8), Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, Turion, Opteron, Athlon FX.

Transmeta's Cruso, TM3200, TM5400, TM5500, TM5600, TM5800 are also supported by the application, as well as VIA's C3 (Samuel, Samuel2, Ezra, Ezra-T, Nehemiah), C7 and C7-M. If you want to test it on older CPU's, you can try it on Cyrix's M1, M2 (although I do not what would be the purpose).

The CPU tab will give you the name of the CPU, brand ID, code name, package, technology, core speed, multiplier, bus speed, HT link and cache (L1 data, L1 code).

The Cache tab displays the L1 data cache (with size and descriptor), L1 Instruction Cache and L2 Cache.

The supported chipsets are from Intel, VIA, nVidia, ATi, AMD and SiS. The Intel chipsets are i430TX, i440LX, i440FX, i440BX/ZX, i810/E, i815/E/EP/EM, i840, i845, i845E, i845G, i850/E, i845PE/GE, E7205 (Granite Bay), E7500, E7520, i852, i855, i865P/PE/G, i875P, i915P/G, i915PM/GM, i925X/XE, i945P/PL/G/GZ, i945PM/GM/GT, i955X/XE, P965, Q965, G965, i975X.
    For VIA there are the Apollo VP3, Apollo Pro, Apollo Pro +, Apollo Pro 266, KX133, KT133(&A), KT266(&A), KT400(&A), KT600, P4X266(&A), PT880, PT880 Pro, K8T800, K8T890, K8T900 devices.

nVidia is present with nForce, nForce2, nForce3, nForce4, nForce4 SLI Intel Edition, GeForce 6100/6150 (nForce 410/430), nForce 590. ATi's representatives are RS350, RS400, RS480/RX480, RS482, RD580/RX580, RS600/RD600, RS690, RS700.

AMD and SiS have fewer chipsets supported by the software thus, from the former only the AM-751, AM-761, AM-762 (760MP) while the latter is a bit heftier and the software will provide you support for 645, 645DX, 648, 648FX, 649, 655FX, 655TX, 656, 735, 756, 761GX, 760, 760GX, 755, 755FX, 741, 741GX.

The mainboard info will give you the details about the following: manufacturer, model, chipset, sensor, southbridge, BIOS (brand, version and date), graphic interface (version, transfer rate and side band - if it is enabled or not).

In Memory section, the user will find details about the type, size and channels. The timings give you the frequency, FSB, latency, delay, DRAM idle timer, cycle time, bank cycle time and command rate. SPD (serial presence detect) gives you the module size, maximum bandwidth, manufacturer.

Besides the CPU-Z executable file, you will also get an executable called Latency. Launch the application in order to see the cache latency computation.

The Good
    The software supports the major devices on the market, takes very little space on your hard disk and is very easy to use (suffice to click on the tabs to get all the information).
The Bad
    No baddies in the software. It worked fine and did not cause any problems.

The Truth
    I liked the software and the fact that it is free is more appealing. I think that more users should have it on their computers.

source
Feb 4th, 2012, 2:21 pm
Feb 4th, 2012, 4:30 pm
Program: Advanced Renamer v3.21
Released here

Review 1
    Useful application for renaming all my photos from DSC???? to something more recognizable. It is very flexible and you just need to remember that the rules are performed one after another. The user interface can be better if it matches the workflow. I would like to selected my files / folders first and then say what I want to do with them so I expected the selection window pane to be on the left. Generally a useful application. Another idea for the developer is to save the set of rules as profiles for future use, i.e different profiles for photos, videos, etc.

Review 2
    Good software, small size, easy to install, good GUI. Had to rename about 4000 mp3 files using tags, and with this software it was almost pain-free...
    I didn't rename them all at once, but at a few hundreds at a time. It did take several minutes to do the lot, but I found it acceptable especially considering that I was doing it through the network on a NAS (external storage).

source
Feb 4th, 2012, 4:30 pm
Feb 4th, 2012, 6:38 pm
Program: Paint.NET v3.5.10
Released here

Review 1
    When you need to crop, cut, or otherwise edit an image, Windows' built-in Paint isn't quite enough, while a full-fledged Photoshop or GIMP installation is probably too much. Paint.NET is just about perfect for the graphic design needs of a non-graphic-designer. - source

Review 2
    This open-source photo editing application packs tons of muscle into a measly 1.3MB download that doesn't cost a dime. Impressive. - source
Feb 4th, 2012, 6:38 pm
Feb 4th, 2012, 7:34 pm
Program: COMICAL v0.8
Released here

It used to be the case that you had to go to a lot of trouble if you wanted to read comics that weren't carried by your local newspaper. The Internet has changed all that, of course, and Comical lets you access comics from all over the Web in a format that's almost as easy to use as the funny papers.

Comical's interface is plain and intuitive, with a list of available comics down the left side and a handful of menus across the top. Users simply double-click on the desired comic and Comical downloads and displays the latest installment. We wish that the publisher's information listed how many comics are available, because there are far too many to count; the list runs well into the hundreds. There are classic print comics like Peanuts and Dilbert, but also Web comics like Married to the Sea and XKCD. We love that the program includes both Garfield and Garfield Minus Garfield. Comical also lets users select particular comics as favorites, making it easy for users to download and view only their top picks. The program opens with a screen that includes instructions for its use, and this screen reappears every time a different comic title is clicked on, making it easy to access if you forget a shortcut or other feature. Overall, we were quite impressed with Comical; it was easy to use, and we could have spent hours reading our favorite comics and discovering new ones. In fact, we probably will.

Comical installs and uninstalls without issues. We highly recommend this program to all users.

source
Feb 4th, 2012, 7:34 pm
Feb 4th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Program: STDU Viewer v1.6.66
Released here

Simple document viewer for PDF, XPS, CBR and more

STDU Viewer is a free file viewer that deals specifically with the most important scientific and technical documentation formats – namely TIFF, PDF, DjVu, XPS, JBIG2, and WWF.

This app also supports other formats, but don’t rely on it for everything – you can’t open things like .DOC or .HTML, for example – but you can get quite far with lots of image file support as well as “comic” formats, like CBR and CBZ.

STDU Viewer features the traditional viewer interface: a main area to display the selected page and a sidebar to show content summary. There’s also a bottom bar with handy navigational controls; and a top menu bar to access tools, like zoom, text selection and page adjustments.

STDU Viewer can open several documents simultaneously and is light on system resources. If it had support for those missing formats, it would be the perfect document viewer! There is also a portable version of STDU Viewer, for users who are constantly on the go.

STDU Viewer is the perfect viewer for technical documentation and more.

Pros
      Light on resources
      Works with several document formats
      Easy-to-use interface design

Cons
      No documentation
      No support for important formats like DOC and HTML

source
Feb 4th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Feb 5th, 2012, 7:53 am
Program: Mp3tag v2.49b
Released here

MP3 has become the most common audio format for playback, storage and transfer of music. If we need to playback MP3 files with their tag information shown correctly, or to organize a large collection of MP3 files based on their tag information, a good MP3 tag editor will be helpful.

This review is based on three basic needs which include:

Support basic tags, embedded cover arts and lyrics.
    Rename files using tag information, and edit tags using file names.
    Lookup online databases and save tags into MP3 files.

Mp3tag is a good choice if you prefer to have a user interface with a normal windows menu. Mp3tag has the advantage of a simple and clean design with a powerful and yet easy-to-use tool to edit tags of MP3 files.

Basic tags are shown in a customizable front panel. Extended tags are shown in a separate window for all existing tags stored in your MP3 files. If a tag for lyrics or other info does not exist, it can be added, or if a tag is repeated, it can be removed easily.

Mp3tag allows you to rename files based on the tag information, import or export tag information and create playlists. It supports online Amazon, freedb, MusicBrainz and other database look-ups, allowing you to auto tag and embed multiple images for album covers.

It also has a powerful Web Sources Framework, allowing you to get album info from additional online databases. The latest web sources are available from Mp3tag Forums at Web Sources Archive. You can download the ones you need, and extract them to your Mp3tag data folder in order to gain access to more online databases for auto tagging.

source
Feb 5th, 2012, 7:53 am
Feb 5th, 2012, 9:46 am
Program: Exact Audio Copy v1.0 beta 3
Released here

Program: CDex v1.70 (Beta 4 2009)
Released here

Introduction
    There are lots of rippers available. All media players including Windows Media Player can rip. There are also some great freebies plus a host of commercial rippers. Most will rip to WAV, MP3 and usually several other formats.

If your CDs are like mine then some are scratched or have lots of finger-marks. These can cause pops and crackles in the ripped file. Rippers vary greatly in their ability to handle these problems. Some will simply get stuck while others will skip forward over the problem or even create a silent gap. The best programs will try repeatedly to fix the problem with no audible effects.

After a lot of experimentation, I ended up with two free CD rippers that were impressive with their features.

Discussion
    Though the other products reviewed here were capable, Exact Audio Copy (EAC) was outstanding in its ability to handle CD imperfections.

I recently started the long task of ripping my 1200 CDs to my hard disk. I'm now two thirds of the way through my ripping exercise. Of the 800 or so CDs ripped I've only had 7 tracks that EAC couldn't rip perfectly. Given the condition of some of my CDs, that's a mighty impressive performance.

EAC can rip to WAV, MP3 (using the LAME encoder), OGG, FLAC, APE and more.

CDexCD rippers interact strongly with your CD hardware so it's possible EAC may not work with your particular CD drive. If that's the case, take a look at CDex. While its performance with scratched CDs is not as good as EAC, it's still an outstanding and capable free product.

It can convert to WAV, MP3 (using the LAME Encoder) OGG, APE, and more.

An especially nice feature of CDEX is the ability to transcode one compressed file format to another, while EAC does not have this option. It also has the feature of recording straight from analog input.

source
Feb 5th, 2012, 9:46 am
Feb 5th, 2012, 10:56 am
Program: SUMo v2.17.1.136
Released here

Software that works, SUMo

Software that works is a very good thing, especially, if you are talking about updaters. It's very difficult to catalog the myriad of software around the globe, rarely apt-get, the Debian GNU/Linux package management can be beaten. All the software is heavily centralized and maintained.

In Windows i think it's very difficult to find an updater that works at 100%. The simple approach of SUMo found me positive.

The job is done in a very simple way, it takes a list of your installed programs, (you can also add your own program, if not found), their version, and simply tells you what is outdated through a nice interface. I was impressed about its simplicity: SUMo only redirects you to a custom web page showing the appropriate link on top of the page. You can also submit the link if you already know it in order to support future searches. There's also a "prefab" list of searches, pointing to the main software sites like FileForum, CNET's Download.com, just to mentioning few.

I use SUMo very often, and i can tell you that is very difficult that it miss the target. I like it very much cause it finds very soon the last version of the software, also beta software, it is precise and very "fault tolerant". Simply works.

The list of software updaters under Windows is growing day by day and they also do their job very well or better, but where the majority of them lacks i the mismatched version reckoning, and the ability to skip or ignore selected application from an updating search. I'd wish to skip to propose you the mandatory list of Software Updaters under the Windows Operating System, could be dispersive, boring and also not SEO friendly. SUMo is not perfect and it is also affected by some bugs and sometimes it stops working in the middle of an updating session, but i still continue to use it. Try SUMo.

source

My favourite software update monitor

...is KC Softwares' Software Update Monitor Lite (SUMo) and it may be the best software update monitor for expert users. It's faster than Secunia's PSI, but slower than UDC and requires more bandwidth to check for updates than UDC. During a normal scan SUMo will search your start menu for a list of programs, while a complete scan checks your "Program Files" folder, yielding more results that may require some selective elimination. SUMo also let's you decide whether or not you want to be notified about Beta software. Another feature that you may or may not like about SUMo is the result you obtain by clicking on the "Update" link for new software. Whereas PSI and Update Checker take you directly to a download page, SUMo takes you to a webpage with usage statistics about recent versions of the program, and displays the number of users who use each version. Although that may be interesting, there is no direct link to a download page. SUMo's page gives you links to five major download sites' search pages (which sometimes do not work with the information supplied by SUMo) and a link to a Google search for the software. However, by not being restricted to a database of downloadable software, the SUMo database can support any software its users' SUMo report.

The advantage of SUMo is that it informs you of updates to software that is not limited to security updates (such as PSI) or availablity on FileHippo (UDC). It also lets you add or remove programs to the list it scans for updates by simply dragging the executable into SUMo's open window; a feature not available on any other software update monitor (UDC allows one to add folders to the search space). Unfortunately, some developers do not include version information in their binaries which makes it impossible for SUMo to detect updates for them. This is a problem for most software update monitors. Unfortunately, when SUMo performs its first thorough scan it detects executable files that may not be the main executable files of your installed software. Experienced PC users should therefore take care to add the executable files that should not be checked for updates to the ignore list. Once this has been done, the unwanted executables will not appear in future scans.

source
Feb 5th, 2012, 10:56 am
Feb 5th, 2012, 3:44 pm
Program: CCleaner v3.15.1643
Released here

Program: Empty Temp Folders
Released here

Program: CleanUp! v4.5.2
Released here

Program: PC Decrapifier v2.2.8
Released here

Introduction
    Over time unnecessary files accumulate, which can be removed with a disk cleaner.

Discussion
    My first choice here is CCleaner, a product that started off as pretty basic but has continued to improve to the point where it is now very close to the best in its class regardless of price. It's very effective in freeing up disk space by removing unused and temporary files, cookies, Recycle bin entries, Windows hot-fix files, history and cache files in many applications such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari and hundreds of others. Note you can configure preferences for browser cookies that you want to keep during a clean (in case you don't want to delete them all), which is a convenient feature for many users.

You can define custom rules to include or exclude files, folders or registry keys from cleaning (Temp folders are a good candidate to include), You can wipe free (unused) space from the disk (including MFT data), and CCleaner supports secure deletion of data (1, 3, 7 to Guttman 35 passes).

There are options to extend CCleaner adding new programs for software that doesn't come with the base install. Some of these options are explained in the Documentation You can also remove options (programs) that you do not want to be cleaned from the list of available programs that can be cleaned. The options can include adding to or removed from the built in detections that come with the base CCleaner install. This flexibility I have not yet seen in any comparable file cleaning tool.

CCleaner has been around for many years, and over that time it has been more actively developed than any other file cleaner software. (It's not unusual to see a new release every 4 weeks). Piriform release new versions to support new software when it comes out (like new versions of the major browsers) and with features to support changes to the operating system - eg. When Windows 7 was released support for cleaning "Taskbar Jump Lists", and even using "Jump Lists" and Windows 7 style progress bars in their CCleaner.

The CCleaner Version History lists the new features and fixes introduced with each release

Many other file cleaner products were developed for Win2000 or WinXP and haven't seen an update since. If you are running the latest OS, Browser or Office Suite etc - it is best to use software that was developed and tested with the latest software that you are using.

I would like to see a tutorial or wizard for first time users when they run CCleaner. Too often the complaints that CCleaner deleted something it shouldn't, turn out to be the user isn't too familiar with what the options mean or what the impact of cleaning temp files and settings from their system. Even selecting every possibly option should still not damage windows in any way - as CCleaner is very conservative in what it will remove, but for some first time users, running CCleaner can seem to be a scary step to take.

However, if simply freeing up disk space is your objective then CCleaner is hard to beat.

A good companion to CCleaner is Empty Temp Folders. It's not as complete a product as CCleaner and it's been a while since it was last updated, but I find that it always manages to clean more temporary files than CCleaner. That's why I suggest you use both.

Another cleaner with a solid following is Steven Gould's CleanUP!. It's compact, well designed and very well maintained and is a real alternative to CCleaner. In use I've had a couple instances which caused problems on my test PC, but this may have been specific to my setup. Certainly the feedback I get from users has been uniformly excellent.

In a related category is PC Decrapifier. Its job is to remove unwanted trial versions of programs and services that come preinstalled on new PCs. You can remove all this stuff manually, but PC Decrapifier does this automatically. It can't remove every bit of junk from every computer, but the list of products it will remove is quite impressive.

source
Feb 5th, 2012, 3:44 pm
Feb 5th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Program: wikidPad v2.3 Beta 02
Released here

From Wikipedia to TikiWiki, it seems like everyone is using wiki.
    One reason for that is that a wiki is so easy to use. Using wiki to add information to a database is also pretty fast. In fact, wiki is the Hawaiian word for "quick."

There are several systems available right now that allow you to use wiki to organize your information and store it online. But wouldn't it be great if you could use the power of wiki to organize and store your information without having to go online?

Then you should give WikidPad a try.

What is WikidPad?
    WikidPad is a wiki-like Personal Information Manager that allows you to store anything from notes, to to-do lists, to articles of interest in a single place.

What makes WikidPad so fast and easy is the ease with which you can create new pages, and link them together.

Say you saved an article called "The Proper Feeding of Your Dog" and have added it to WikidPad. Later, you want to add an article called "Homemade Dog Treats" to your WikidPad. And, since the articles are on the same topic, you want to link them together.

To link those two articles together, all you have to do is type a WikiWord somewhere in the first article. WikiWords are two capitalized words that are joined together, which will instantly be turned into a link to a new page by WikidPad.

At the end of the article "The Proper Feeding of Your Dog," type HomemadeDogTreats. Double clicking on the WikiWord will instantly take you to a brand new page where you can add your new article.

Hierarchical Tree Structure
    Along with using WikiWords to create new pages and link related files, you can use a hierarchical tree structure to organize your information.

Every time you create a new page using WikiWord links, that new page is added to the navigation tree. So you'll always know what's in your WikidPad database.

Two More Useful Features
    WikidPad has two more useful features.

First is the ability to create an unlimited number of databases. So, instead of storing all of your information in one place, you can choose to create many different databases in several different subjects.

You can also export a WikidPad database as a web page, more or less, where all the files are linked together just the way you want them. You can then take your "web page" with you anywhere, accessing its information on any computer, whether it has WikidPad installed or not.

WikidPad is a great tool to use to organize all of the bits of information that are just "lying around" on your computer taking up space. In fact, it's so easy to use, you might find it a little addictive.

source
Feb 5th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Feb 6th, 2012, 6:58 am
Program: Q-Dir v4.95
Released here

Q-Dir gives you the ability to view the properties of up to four files all at once for side-by-side comparisons. We were unimpressed by its tiny, unintuitive command buttons but, overall, it did its job well.

The user interface opens as four panels, each with the same commands, and each with the ability to browse for a specific file. At the top of the window reside tiny, almost microscopic buttons that let you choose your view. We had to hover our mouse over each one to learn its function. Still, we were able to quickly search for, and pull up, specific files and folders. Each window contains commands to run, delete, copy, and paste files. In terms of extras, we especially liked the zoom feature that offers a magnifier for the visually impaired. It does offer a hot-key combo so you don't have to worry about searching through the tiny command buttons to activate it.

The Help feature is pretty brief, and merely includes hot-key combinations and brief descriptions of some of the features. However, if you're looking for a free program that lets you view and manage multiple files at once, we recommend Q-Dir as a capable program despite its design flaws.

source

This is the most awesome file manager I've ever tried. The developer is improving it continuously, ans so it is updated almost weekly. When I found some minor bug, I wrote an email to the developer, and one week later the bug was fixed already. Also had a few suggestions for improvment, which got implemented only a month later. Now that is what I call listening to the users! But above all, this little software is just great for people who don't want bloated software. It's tiny, has a small system footprint, great fucntionality and is lightning fast. Strongly recommended for every Windows XP user!

source
Feb 6th, 2012, 6:58 am
Feb 6th, 2012, 8:55 am
Program: Free Download Manager v3.8 build 1173
Released here

Review 1
    This download utility is surprisingly attractive and full-featured for a freeware product, and its operation couldn't be more straightforward. To download a file, just click a link in your browser or drag it onto the program's tiny, semitransparent window.

In our comparison tests, Free Download Manager beat out Opera's download manager 85Kbps to 53Kbps. Its automation features also are very good. Like other managers, it can automatically dial a modem, start a download, or shut down the PC. Unlike many of them, it also can change the number of connections depending on download speed, or disconnect and shut down the computer if a file is unavailable.

If you want to boost your download speed for free, this utility is certainly worth a try.

source

Review 2
    This popular, free, open-source download manager speeds up the acquisition of multiple downloads by breaking the files into smaller pieces, then downloading these simultaneously. Trying it out, I found I was able to download several full-length movies in less time than it took me to find these legal downloads. In thirty minutes of dilatory browsing, using the default setting of no more than four concurrent downloads at a time, I managed to burden my hard drive with 488 megabytes' worth of material, including three full-length film classics, a dozen flash video files from YouTube, a handful of movie trailers, two music videos, and an old Mighty Mouse cartoon.

FDM will automatically resume interrupted downloads, and can download using Bittorrent in newer versions of Windows, though it will prompt you before enabling the peer-to-peer protocol. FDM will also alert you if it detects spyware or adware in a prospective download.

source
Feb 6th, 2012, 8:55 am
Feb 6th, 2012, 11:36 am
Program: Screenshot Captor v3.00
Released here

Review 1
    Screenshot Captor is a freeware downloadable tool that can make the whole screenshot capturing a breeze, offering so many great features that can greatly improve your workflow.

The market is already full of similar tools, but Screenshot Captor uses a new approach and tries to attract new users by offering them more than just simple snipping tools.

Screenshot Captor’s interface might be a bit overwhelming at the first glance, but that happens only because the application has been gifted with so many tools.

Taking a screenshot can be obviously done through some predefined shortcuts but at the same time, the user also has the option to change them with some more handy key combinations.

You can thus grab the entire workspace, the current screen, the active window, a fixed size or a selected region or just repeat the last size and position.

Although it does a pretty good job with snipping screenshots, the application excels in the post-capturing chapter, offering a bunch of editing tools that could come in quite handy.

For example, you can add special effects to the just-made screenshot, such as blur and glow, add caption text to the image, adjust colors, add shadows, create a border around the image or even upload it on the Internet.

Screenshot Captor has a fantastic settings menu that includes tons of features and trust us, we needed several minutes just to look in there, not to mention the time we took to change some options. You can change basically everything about the application, so it all comes down to your preferences.

But more words are simply useless, you have to give Screenshot Captor a shot to really see what it’s up to, and since it’s free, we can’t see a reason why you won’t do that.

source

Review 2
    Whether documenting a computer problem or a favorite Web site, many computer users will someday need to capture exactly what's on their computer screen. This program isn't the most powerful screenshot tool, but it offers almost everything an average user will need in a easy-to-use interface. The software allows users to save an image of the full screen, an active window, or any rectangular area as a graphics file. However, it can't take pictures of menus or documents that require scrolling. It offers editing features including cropping, highlighting, blurring, and resizing, but lacks annotation components such as text balloons or arrows. The interface makes it easy to manage several screenshots at once. All told, we feel comfortable recommending Screenshot Captor as one of the best freeware tools in its category.

source
Feb 6th, 2012, 11:36 am
Feb 6th, 2012, 3:51 pm
Program: Fass v0.8
Released here

I've been using Fass 0.9 Beta for quite a long time and I think it's a great program.

For a long time (and still some) I was posting tutorials in a forum or two and Fass proved to be an incredibly useful tool.

I would type out and create the whole tutorial in Fass while offline and I was able to double and triple check for any errors (no more being logged in to the forum and have an open/unfinished post for hours).
Then all I had to do was insert any links to images then copy and paste in to a new topic at the forum.

One click and your new tutorial is posted.....spelling correct....images included...etc..etc.

Too bad work on this program seems to have stopped, although Fass 0.9 Beta works just fine for me and I haven't run into any problems.

Thanks for the time saver and great program

source
Feb 6th, 2012, 3:51 pm