The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Aug 15th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Title: B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: The Transformation of J. H. O’Donnell (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mike Mignola and Scott Allie (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Jorge Solis (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A tragic tale about the obsessive quest for the ultimate knowledge."

Review:
    "B.P.R.D.: Hell On Earth: The Transformation of J.H. O'Donnell" is an action-packed horror adventure. A lost mission from Hellboy's past comes back to haunt the Bureau of Paranormal Research And Defense. What unearthly secrets will they uncover now during their latest investigation?

Readers will be laughing out loud as soon as they read the hilarious opening pages if this comic with a surprising look at how randomly normal B.P.R.D. is. Mike Mignola and Scott Allie cleverly turn the secret organization into an office/workplace comedy, showcasing the office chitchat and water-cooler talk of protagonists Pauline and Nichols. These characters go on about their typical day, gossiping about who's getting the promotion and their annoyance at the menial tasks of their jobs -- but when the storyline starts to turn towards the occult and supernatural, the creative juices really start flowing.

Though the story element is told in flashback, there is a little bit of suspense taken away. Based on the title alone, readers already know the end result of J.H. O'Donnell's transformation. Right away, readers realize something terrible is going to happen, foreseeing the inevitable conclusion. O'Donnell, the expert language consultant at B.P.R.D., will be driven into madness and lose his mind to insanity; no surprise there. The real question readers have to ask themselves is how it's going to happen.

Mignola and Allie recognize the problem of the flashback technique and find a smart solution with a focus on constructing the sadness and tragedy of the event. This is a story within a story where all the facts are half there because no one is really sure what exactly happened. Readers are given two points of view from O'Donnell and Hellboy, but they don't share the same information. Hellboy doesn't know how the events occurred because he wasn't in the same room with O'Donnell. To add more questions to the narrative, O'Donnell's fragmented timeline comes from a fractured mind of a lunatic. Ironically, O'Donnell has a prominent teaching career outside of the B.P.R.D., which he is going to eventually lose because of the mission.

Artist Max Fiumara puts back the missing element of suspense in his illustrations. At first, the presentation of the monsters is slowly built-up as if Fiumara is holding back. Readers are going to be just anxiously waiting to find out who are the people underneath the black cloaks. Finally letting loose, Fiumara gives the kind of terrifying imagery that could have only come from the mind of H.P. Lovecraft.

"B.P.R.D.: Hell On Earth: The Transformation of J.H. O' Donnell" is a tragic tale about the obsessive quest for the ultimate knowledge. In one of his previous missions, Hellboy and Professor O'Donnell entered the secret library of a fallen necromancer. Upon opening the necromancer's books, O'Donnell saw something he truly wished he didn't. Now readers will find out what his eyes exactly witnessed in this supernatural adventure.

More info:
    Writer: Mike Mignola, Scott Allie
    Artist: Max Fiumara
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Cover Artist: Max Fiumara
    Genre: Horror, Action/Adventure

Publisher:

Aug 15th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Aug 15th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Title: The Victories (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Michael Avon Oeming (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Joe Curtis (Review 1) and Robb Orr (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Are you tired of the same old superhero comics? Try something new with some real depth. "

Review 1: The Victories #1
    So we had the honor to preview “Victories”, Mike Oeming’s latest creation. Victories is apparently a group of vigilantes that have come together for a much needed cause…to help clean up this extremely corrupt and downtrodden city. Right away I was impressed with the set-up. Oeming did a fantastic job of really capturing the essence of a corrupt and morally fallen city in a way that makes the reader really feel like you’re there. I could almost smell the city…and it didn’t smell nice.

The hero, Faustus, has his own set of personal issues that we are excited to learn more about. He almost seems to wear a mask for multiple reasons, not just because it’s what heroes do. The antagonist we are introduced to in this issue, Jackal, does what I think many would do if their moral compass were broken and run over with a monster truck, and it’s hard to see really what side he is on. The complexities laid out in this first issue leaves the reader with more questions than answers and opens up many opportunities for the writer to expand. Without giving anything away I would simply recommend definitely picking up this first issue, it’s a great read and the art-work compliments the essence of the story.

Review 1: The Victories #1
    If this first issue of The Victories is what we can expect from the series, I can’t wait to read more. Mr. Oeming has repeatedly praised Dark Horse Editor Scott Allie for helping him to polish this story, and the results so far are excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend The Victories #1 as a “pick of the week.” This first miniseries is set for five issues and will focus on Faustus. However, in recent interviews and convention panels Mr. Oeming has spoken about the possibility of doing future installments of The Victories that focus on other characters—provided this first series is well received. Are you tired of the same old superhero comics? Try something new with some real depth. Support a creator-owned title. Check out The Victories #1!

More info:
    Writer: Michael Avon Oeming
    Artist: Michael Avon Oeming
    Colorist: Nick Filardi
    Cover Artist: Michael Avon Oeming
    Genre: Action/Adventure

Publisher:

Aug 15th, 2012, 10:39 pm
Aug 16th, 2012, 8:16 am

Title: Alabaster: Wolves (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Caitlín R. Kiernan (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Waerloga69 (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" The art and writing are superb and meld well together for this mini-series."

Review: Alabaster: Wolves #3
    Set in the deep South, this is the tale of Dancy Flammarius and her quest to destroy the evil that haunts this world. Alabaster: Wolves #3 is a story within a story, another stepping stone on the path to redemption. Unfortunately for her, Dancy had a parting of ways with the angel who originally stood at her side.

Imagine a time, in the not too distant future, where society has collapsed, magic and monsters are real, and no one is to be trusted. Simply wandering through a town can be deadly if you cannot defend yourself. So what teenage girl in her right mind would take on the task of traveling about in these conditions? Perhaps that is the real dilemma. Dancy is armed with not just her wits and skills, but also travels with a talking raven for a guide and a companion in the form of a ghost (of the werewolf she killed).

I cannot tell too much of this issue’s story for fear of spoiling the tale. But know this: the passion with which this issue is written is most definitely on par with the last two. It is a spectacular miniature story all by itself, though it does act as a bridge between issues.

I have to say that I enjoy the writing style of Caitlin R. Kiernan, the way she describes the actions of her protagonist is almost like she breathes true life into the character. Add in the magnificent art of Steve Lieber and you get a great comic out of the deal! Hell, even the cover by Greg Ruth gives the reader a bit of foreshadowing. As always, I am extremely happy with Dark Horse this month, they have a pretty good track record as far as I’m concerned.

If you haven’t gotten the point yet, then here it is again: Go buy this series. It is most definitely worth skipping a trip to the snack bar for some nachos. The art and writing are superb and meld well together for this mini-series. I wrote this review while listening to The Fluid: Purplemetalflakemusic. For some reason it seemed to go pretty well with it…

More info:
    Writer: Caitlín R. Kiernan
    Artist: Steve Lieber
    Colorist: Rachelle Rosenberg
    Cover Artist: Greg Ruth
    Genre: Fantasy, Horror

Publisher:

Aug 16th, 2012, 8:16 am
Aug 16th, 2012, 11:39 am

Title: The Massive (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Brian Wood (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Elliot Cole (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It’s a nice mixture, and each stylistic choice works with the others."

Review: The Massive #1
    The Massive, Wood’s latest big new thing, regards a crew of Greenpeace-ish activists aboard a boat amidst (literally) tumultuous times.

It’s a great start to a series, apart from tiny thing which I’ll get to presently, and the switching colour palettes easily guide you through and there’s a nice docket of backmatter at the end.

My only slight reservation is with the emotional handling of the characters. It’s not that I think that all of these characters are unfeeling, cold and calculated. I also don’t think that’s how they’re being intentionally put across, either. After all, there’s a well-handled (ie. not horribly expository) introduction of the main relationship, stretched over eight panels. I’m just not really super emotionally involved just yet.

On possible reason for this is the back matter, there’s a lot of relevant text for a first issue, here. I read through this, and I think maybe it took me away from the story a little bit, as it was more like newspaper reading (something I fetishize slightly). I would say that on your first read, just enjoy the story, then go back for the backmatter a bit later–you can do without it initially. I would say it’s relevant, however, the information that you get out of it builds the story heavily. I mean, apparently there is, or was, a helicopter involved at some point according to the Captain’s log.

The artwork consists of clean, simple lines, and doesn’t change, other than some differences with shading. Sometimes there’s a sketchy feel to the ‘vintage’ panels, and often (in both) there’s slight ben-day effect. I like this, and it screams a design choice to me, which is one of a few reasons this feels a bit like a Hickman comic book (more on this below). That said, I think the most obvious and key part of the artwork is Stewart’s colouring. It’s a very simple thing using a sepia tone to indicate older passages, but sometimes simple works best. His flat colouring with basic shading here is a popular style, and I like it. It works well, it’s contemporary and is a good match for the story.

Here’s a panel of the dated stuff from the book:

We see the ben-day used extensively here, and the sketchy/obscured style of Hong Kong in the fog and the clean lines elsewhere.

An internal; with more obvious clean lines, and more blocked shading mixed with a couple of other techniques that if I tried to name you’d ridicule me for the rest of my life for getting them wrong.

As I say, it’s a nice mixture, and each stylistic choice works with the others. (I hope that I’m not spoiling things with that last panel.)

I mentioned that I think this is a little Hickman-esque, and I’m sure that Mr. Wood was doing stuff like this whilst JH was in his comics diapers, but it’s conceptually on a level with some of the things that Mr. Hickman likes to play with. This said, I don’t think that Mr. Wood is as bombastic with his promotion of this. There’s also no reliance on a heavy cliff-hanger. I like this (I don’t dislike it in other books) because it makes me feel less disconnected from the story when I pick up the next issue. Bryan K. Vaughan can do this sometimes very well, too, it brings flow and continuity to a story which will obviously work very well in trade. Time will tell if this has worked well here.

Wood has hit us with a solid modern story, but twenty-one pages might seem a bit thin for $3.50. I will say that there are no full page or two page splashes, and the backmatter does add to the story, so you get more for $3.50 than with other books. I would have gone with a three out of five, as for the price this probably isn’t long enough. I am slightly enthusiastic about this as a series, though, so I’m going to go against my head and slide up to a four. Worth your time, at least for two issues.

More info:
    Writer: Brian Wood
    Artist: Kristian Donaldson
    Cover Artist: Rafael Grampá
    Genre: Action/Adventure

Publisher:

Aug 16th, 2012, 11:39 am
Aug 16th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Title: Angel – Blood and Trenches (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): John Byrne (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Kevin L. Powers (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Byrne's artwork gives the series an edge not seen in many mainstream comics..."

Review:
    Joss Whedon's immortal vampire Angel has gotten a new lease on life thanks to IDW publishing. In addition to the ongoing series IDW continues to publish stand alone series as well of which BLOOD & TRENCHES is one of the latest. This is a monumental series in the Angel universe as it has famed comic book writer and artist John Byrne at the helm who has done the series a service by doing the entire series in black and white with splashes of red (and a few sporadic other colors thrown in from time to time).

This series finds Angel behind enemy lines during WWII and battling the demon Kakistos (from the Buffy, the Vampire Slayer television show). Like Byrne's version of the recent Doom Patrol series for DC, this series jumps back and forth through time as you get to see events unfold through several of the main characters. Angel finds himself caught behind enemy lines trying to prevent Kakistos from turning German soldiers into unstoppable vampire killing machines. Hot on his tale is Colonel Geoffrey Wyndam-Price who will stop at nothing to kill Angel and rid the countryside of the German pestilence.

Byrne's artwork gives the series an edge not seen in many mainstream comics as the series looks more like a sketch book than a finished piece of art. The artwork and story are unpredictable and dangerous and that is one of the series' greatest assets. Although I wasn't a particularly huge fan of the story itself (like I was with his take on the Doom Patrol), there is much to be said for what he is trying to accomplish with this series and I think the die-hard fans will enjoy the story very much. This series has all the required action and story of the best Angel tales. This is not a grand tale like the ongoing series but this reminds me of the best of the stand-alone episodes of the show.

Byrne also provides a great "Afterword" that details how he got involved with IDW and this project and it is a great look into the mind of one of the medium's greatest artists. The graphic novel also artwork and sketches from some of the original cover art to the series which is also nice to look at.

More info:
    Written by John Byrne
    Artist(s) John Byrne

Publisher:

Aug 16th, 2012, 2:39 pm
Aug 16th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Title: Beasts of Burden: Neighborhood Watch (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Evan Dorkin (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Big Tim (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Beasts of Burden: Neighborhood Watch gets two-thumbs-up from me!"

Review:
    Who loves cute puppies and kitties? I know you do! And who likes the supernatural and paranormal? Yep, you again! So you’re reading Beasts of Burden, right? And if not, why not?

Granted, we haven’t seen an issue of Beasts of Burden since the four-legged occult investigators teamed up with Hellboy in October 2010, so I understand if these characters have snuck under your radar.

Well, now is a good time to get initiated, with Beasts of Burden: Neighborhood Watch (one-shot) from Dark Horse.

Beasts of Burden: Neighborhood Watch tells three short stories involving six dogs named Red, Ace, Rex, Jack, Whitey, and Pugsley and a couple of cats named Orphan and Dymphna in the small town of Burden Hill. Beasts of Burden: Neighborhood Watch reprints the three short stories from Dark Horse Presents #4 through 6.

Written by Evan Dorkin, with art from the ever talented Jill Thompson, the Beasts of Burden have captured my heart and imagination. Dorkin writes each animal as a distinct character, from the mysterious Wise Dog to the humorous Pugsley, each one has a distinct voice and is a fully fleshed-out individual.

And Jill Thompson’s art work is nothing short of incredible. She brings a realism to the painted panels on every page. I never get tired of seeing her art on these characters.

As far as the three short stories are concerned, each one is head-and-shoulders above the last. Red and Orphan investigate missing chickens in Food Time, Story Time tells the tale of a dog and his owner in the middle-ages, and the best of the three is the final story, The View From the Hill.

Now, I’m not exaggerating when I say each story is better than the last, and The View From the Hill is worth the price tag of the entire comic alone. I’m purposefully avoiding speaking about the content of The View From the Hill with good reason. It’s a damned good short and you should read it for yourself.

All in all, I feel like Beasts of Burden: Neighborhood Watch works much better as a one-shot than Concrete: Three Easy Pieces (which in hindsight I’ve learned was collected from DHP #1 through 3). The stories are well crafted and, in all three cases, each story manages to fit a beginning, middle, and end in the space of around 10 pages a piece. A very hard feat for telling very short stories in comic books.

Beasts of Burden: Neighborhood Watch gets two-thumbs-up from me. It’s different and quirky and I’m sure you’ll grow to love these animals as much as I do.

It’s on shelves of your comic book stores as you read this. Get into it.

More info:
    Writer: Evan Dorkin
    Artist: Jill Thompson
    Cover Artist: Jill Thompson
    Genre: Horror, Action/Adventure

Publisher:

Aug 16th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Aug 17th, 2012, 8:12 am

Title: Night of 1000 Wolves (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Bobby Curnow (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Billy (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A simple, but fantastic story that was easy to follow."

Review: Night of 1000 Wolves #1
    The current genre of horror comics is absolutely inundated with material, and although some of it is forgettable, this book certainly is not. The story begins with an old man who seems to think that something terrible is on the horizon due to alignments of planets or such. He immediately tries to sacrifice a sheep, but is stopped by his son-in-law (no, not Pauly Shore). An argument breaks out between the two of them, and the younger man’s wife, as well. Before you know it, a ravenous wolf is chowing down on the livestock. It takes everything the young man can muster to kill the beast. It’s at that very moment, that they realize the children are missing. The children are playing out in the woods. The boy and his sister have a squabble, like siblings do, but then the sister runs off deeper into the woods. When the boy goes to find her, he’s shocked to see wolf tracks in the mud. He gets very anxious and runs even faster to find her, but when he finally does, he wishes he hadn’t seen what he did.

All anyone should say about this book is wow! It was a simple, but fantastic story that was easy to follow. There are a couple of loose ends that will surely be addressed in the next issue or two (three issue limited series), but that should be well worth the wait. The writing in this book is excellent for two main reasons. First, and again, the story was easy to follow. Secondly, the old man in the story seems to know what’s going on, but won’t tell after the son-in-law punches him during an argument. This is a great part of the story, because it keeps you on the edge of your seat, knowing that he knows something, but won’t reveal his knowledge.

On the side of artwork for a moment. Things were just as spectacular there as they were with the writing. Such a great combination is rarely found in books these days, as we all know. Typically, when you get a good story, the artwork doesn’t live up to it, or vice versa. Not the case with Dave Wachter’s work in this book. He does a solid job with the setting, the characters, and especially the wolves. They look absolutely savage, and really scary. When they attack the people, the scenes are very realistic. His style reminds me slightly of Norman Rockwell. I know that doesn’t sound very imposing, but trust me, it works. The last page was just awesome, and leaves me to wonder how they’ll escape their situation, or if they even will.

More info:
    Writer: Bobby Curnow
    Artist: Dave Wachter

Publisher:

Aug 17th, 2012, 8:12 am
Aug 17th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Title: Baltimore: Dr. Leskovar’s Remedy (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Henchman21 (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" ...it makes me want to see what happens next."

Review:
    I’m a big fan of the first two Baltimore miniseries that Dark Horse has released and I’m just as much of a fan of the first issue of the next entry in the series, Baltimore: Dr. Leskovar’s Remedy. This is just a two-parter between larger minis, and this issue gives a good look at what the series is all about.

The basic premise of Baltimore is that during World War I, a plague broke out that caused an outbreak of vampirism. The rise of these new vampires awoke some older vampires who had been sleeping for a long time. One of these older vampires attacks a certain Lord Baltimore and his family. However, Baltimore survives and swears vengeance against the vampire who ruined his life. Now, Baltimore travels Europe, seemingly always one step behind the target of his revenge.

This series sees Baltimore travel to Croatia where he runs afoul of a certain doctor who is trying to find a cure for the vampire plague. Baltimore persuades himself to track down the doctor after finding out what happens to his “patients.” I don’t want to go too much into what happens next, but you’ve got a monster hunter and a bunch of monsters; you do the math.

It’s easy to compare the Baltimore series to Hellboy, and there are a lot of similarities, beyond even the creative team. Both series follow monster-hunting adventures and have a lot of action mixed in with great human drama. However, Baltimore is certainly, shall we say, bleaker than Hellboy. It doesn’t have the same humor that Hellboy is known for and instead focuses on a darker hero. Baltimore as a character who shares more in common with Jonah Hex. He does what he needs to do to get his revenge, and it doesn’t matter who gets in the way. It makes for a series that isn’t always fun, but it makes me want to see what happens next.

If you like Hellboy or other horror comics, any of the Baltimore stories will be right up your alley. If you haven’t read any of the series before, it looks like this two-issue mini will give you a good idea of what the series is like. I give this Baltimore: Dr. Leskovar’s Remedy a well-deserved 5 out of 5.

More info:
    Writer: Mignola, Christopher Golden
    Artist: Ben Stenbeck
    Cover Artist: Ben Stenbeck
    Genre: Action/Adventure, Horror

Publisher:

Aug 17th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Aug 18th, 2012, 8:11 am

Title: Dragon Age: The Silent Grove (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Alexander Freed and David Gaider (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Sarah Ellen (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I can say that you will definitely enjoy it."

Review:
    A disclaimer (or possibly an excuse): I just finished reading David Gaider’s Dragon Age novel The Calling prior to reading The Silent Grove. Take what you will from that admission, but I like to think that it may explain why I was left feeling a little bit underwhelmed after finishing this 6-issue vignette.

Admittedly, that lack of “fulfillment” may be the case whether I had read the novel, completed the game, or even dared to Google “Dragon Age” in my internet travels. Being the self-professed Bioware nerd that I am, I had done all of these, but I believe the latter was probably to my detriment. As expected, there are a lot of epic-scale representations of this series by its fans, that try to take the essence of the worlds that we are introduced to in the Dragon Age games, and provide complimentary contexts for the reader to enjoy. I mentioned in a previous article that David Gaider and the Bioware team seem to be very supportive of this practice, which means that further elaborations by Bioware into the series are met with worthy criticism and analysis to be brought into the fold of the world’s “canon”.

In any case, onto The Silent Grove.

Presuming that the events of Dragon Age: Origins are known to the reader, the story begins with King Alistair on the streets of Antiva with two familiar companions in tow. It is made apparent that Varric and Isabela are companions that are hired for their street sense rather than any loyalty to Alistair and the crown, but it is certainly a situation that allows the series to explore their skills and moral choices unencumbered. Alistair’s goal is clear in the first issue – he is on a quest deep inside the borders of Antiva to find “Velabanchel”. What follows is some 80-odd pages that include a prison break, an encounter with dragon and witches, and in true Dragon Age style, a story-altering secret that will reassess our prior knowledge of the series.

A reader is not going to approach The Silent Grove as a stand-alone text – sorry to say, but the story line just has too many rich complements to the series that are begging to be appreciated. David Gaider wants us to take our prior knowledge of the characters and take two or three steps to the side to see them from a different point of view. Alistair is an adventurer frustrated with the stagnant lifestyle of the throne, Isabela is a mercenary longing for a life of her own identity, and Varric acts as an effective counterpoint of companionship and self-identity. It feels as if, without some of that history, a reader may only view this as a short romp in the woods with a dragon to boot.

As always, Dark Horse select the best artists for the job, and Chad Hardin’s work has been honed through his work on comics such as the Warlord series with Mike Grell, Brave and the Bold, Blue Beetle, Zatanna, Dr. Fate, The Spirit, Reign in Hell, Amazing Spiderman Family, and Farscape. Hardin has chosen to go with pencil work to accentuate certain details such as armour, jewellery and rock textures, presenting an intricate medieval world. Michael Atiyeh contributes to the colour with vibrant painted hues that capture the environment as well as the “emotional atmosphere” of the narrative, traveling from a warmer city climate to the cooler colours of the untamed wilds.

For those with knowledge of the franchise, I can say that you will definitely enjoy it. It has been carefully considered for its place in the series, and provides quite a few questions for fans to ponder. The voices of the characters and their motives ring true, and I personally enjoy a comic that will not dish out all of the information for you, but will allow you to take your own assumptions away from the reading experience. It’s not the final word for Alistair and his companions in this narrative – a solid introduction and hopefully with many more stories to come.

More info:
    Writer: Alexander Freed, David Gaider
    Artist: Chad Hardin
    Colorist: Michael Atiyeh
    Cover Artist: Anthony Palumbo
    Genre: Fantasy, Action/Adventure

Publisher:

Aug 18th, 2012, 8:11 am
Aug 18th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Title: Batman – Vengeance of Bane (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Chuck Dixon (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: -Tash Moore (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I really like the line in which Batman says to Bane. "You're threatening me? Get in line.""

Review:
    With the upcoming "Dark Knight Rises" movie set to hit next year I guessed it was as good a time as any to look back at the mega story line that gave us Bane, and the breaking of the bat. This story gives us a great deal of back story on Bane. As a young baby he is sentenced to serve a life term for the crimes of his father, who is a revolutionary on the small island of Santa Prisca. Bane's father escapes and Bane is sent to prison in his stead. As a small boy he learns the in's and out's of his prison/home. He watches his mother die while in prison. After his mother dies, Bane is sent out into general population and kills an inmate who wants the small boy to work for him. It is also during this time that Bane befriends three inmates, Zombie,Trogg and Bird. After killing an inmate Bane is sent into the hole for many years. He earns the name Bane because he just refuses to die. This greatly upsets the warden, who has a great dislike for Bane. During his time in the hole Bane has a dream where he kills a giant bat demon. Once returning to Gen Pop he learns from Bird about Gotham city and how The Batman rules said city. During the next few months Bane becomes obsessed with killing the Batman. After spending months learning to read and reading every book in the library Bane is given the chance to undergo a treatment for a drug known as Venom. Bane is the only test subject that can withstand treatments and once they are complete he and his three henchmen break out of Santa Prisca to Gotham.

Along the way Bane kills the warden who tormented his for so many years. Once in Gotham, Bane and Bird kill the gangster Tommy "no nose" for setting Bird up to take the fall and be sent to Santa Prisca. Batman makes a very brief appearance toward the end of the story where after breaking up a mob shoot out comes face to face with Bane for the first time. Bane tells Batman that he is strange, how can a man cloaked in darkness not kill? I really like the line in which Batman says to Bane. "You're threatening me? Get in line." Bane makes a vow to Batman that one day he will scream for mercy and his name.

More info:
    Writer: Chuck Dixon
    Art: Graham Nolan & Eduardo Barreto

Publisher:

Aug 18th, 2012, 2:59 pm
Aug 18th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Title: Batman/Catwoman: Trail of the Gun (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Ann Nocenti (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: maskedbookwyrm (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Trail of the Gun kept me turning pages -- and that's the point."

Review:
    A prototype gun that fires heat seeking bullets -- and so can never miss -- is somewhere on the streets of Gotham aand the underworld sets out to locate it. Catwoman puts together her own gang, figuring if she finds it first she'll cement her reputation as Queen of Thieves -- particularly when one of her competitors is a legendary thief who's come out of retirement for the job.

First off, labelling this as Batman/Catwoman is a misleading marketing ploy. Yes, Batman appears -- but it's basically a Catwoman story with Batman just cropping up from time to time. Secondly, the (few) reviews I came upon of this were, in a word: scathing. People seemed to hate it, in no small part for its didacticism. One aspect of this story is to tackle the whole gun question itself, and writer Ann Nocenti does go a bit over board with talking head debates about pros and cons of the "right to bear arms", and conversations that can seem a little too quick to run to debates rather than believable dialogue.

Yet -- detractors notwithstanding -- Trail of the Gun is pretty good.

Nocenti is one of those comics writers -- few as they are -- who often seems as though she's trying to be more ambitious than writing just the adventure of the month. So yeah, there's the heavy handed gun debate part, but there's also some character stuff and other themes threaded through. And it's a surprisingly energetic little thriller. The plot isn't all that complex, considering this was almost 100 pages (two 48 page issues), but it maintains a snappy tempo throughout. The narrative technique can be a bit confusing -- starting in the middle, as we get a "shock" opening of Catwoman waking up amid a pile of bullet riddled bodies -- then flashback to how it began. You cann kind of lose track of what's when, particularly when you get to the second issue and you have to remember that part of the story is still a flashback.

The portrayal of Catwoman is particularly effective, though whether it quite meshes with the way she is usually portrayed I can't say for sure. She's a cynical, selfish character, a pettier character -- and, as such, one that seems slightly less heroic, or "cool" and, therefore, more vulnerable and intriguing. Yet, under her amorality, there's a glimmer of a conscience seeking to peek through, creating a character arc. And it makes her encounters with Batman more dynamic. Instead of emphasizing the traditional sexual tension, Nocenti plays up her hedonism against Batman's rock solid morality. In fact, I kind of like how Nocenti portrays Batman, both here and in Cast Shadows -- as a humane, compassionate, figure.

Another appeal of the story is just the milieu -- no super villains (well, save a rock-faced goon who reminds you Batman lives in a slightly surreal reality), no serial killers or "mobsters", per se. This is a kind of real world of grifters and fringe dwelling low-lifes who aren't good, but aren't Joker-style "evil" either -- low lifes who hang out in the same bars and Catwoman knows by first name. There's even a legit gun manufacturer who wants to study the gun himself. It gives the story a refreshing down-to-earthness that can be lacking from Batman's usual battles with over-the-top psycho villains.

I've had mixed feelings about Ethan Von Sciver's art. He's got a meticulous, detailed, realist style ala Brian Bolland but, as can happen with that style (including Bolland) it can seem a bit stiff at times. And his penchant for hyper-detail can make some scenes too cluttered. But, generally, I liked it -- in fact, I liked it more as the story progressed. Partly because of what I said -- there's a bit more reality at work here than in a lot of super hero comics, so it benefits from a realist artist. The story can be gory at times, with a couple of bloody gun battles pushing this into "mature readers" territory. I'd like to say that in a story about guns and gun violence, the graphic brutality is part of the theme. Except, Van Scriver has a history of drawing brutal violence -- sometimes where it's not called for. So I'm more inclined to say it's just Van Scriver's excesses rather than a carefully decided upon intent.

It was also cool seeing John Costanza lettering -- an old hand-letterer still at work in this age of computer-lettering programs!

So, yes, the story can be heavy handed in its moral debates -- but surprisingly less so as it goes, as the plot, and secondary themes come to the fore. Besides, Nocenti delivers some nice bits even in that vein, such as a nicely handled scene of Batman interviewing a young boy. Yes, one could argue that Nocenti favours the anti-gun crowd and puts forward the argument that guns are a substitute for those who feel weak and powerless -- not the image macho gun owners like to project of themselves.

I came upon one message board where a (pro-gun) writer, who hated the mini-series, also took exception to Batman being portrayed as an anti-gun liberal, feeling Nocenti had completely betrayed the character. I'd make the opposite claim, and that given Batman's history and origin, what's more out of character is when writers have Batman be soft on guns.

I'm not a big gun fan, myself, so maybe I'm biased. But, as I said, there's more bubbling beneath the surface than just an anti-gun sermon, and it's this very thematic richness that helps bolster the story. Yes, Nocenti can miss as often as she hits, delivering a clunky or heavy handed scene as often as she delivers a sharp, cleverly written scene, but as a mix of energetic, funky crime-thriller, character study, and socio-political drama, well drawn, Trail of the Gun kept me turning pages -- and that's the point.

More info:
    Ann Nocenti writer
    Chris Chuckry colorist
    Ethan Van Sciver artist, cover
    John Costanza editor

Publisher:

Aug 18th, 2012, 6:46 pm
Aug 19th, 2012, 11:18 am

Title: Orion (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Shirow Masamune (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: spittingtrashcan (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you must bring only one book on an extended and boring trip, bring this one."

Review:
    If you must bring only one book on an extended and boring trip, bring this one. Not so much due to the quality of its plot, which is convoluted enought to bring one to tears. Neither for the artistry and technique of the book, which although above par is not in the same league as Shirow's better-known Ghost in the Shell, or Yukito Kishiro's brilliantly illustrated Gunnm series. No, this book is worth bringing because of the sheer volume of fascinating ideas mentioned only in passing.

Shirow's works are always worth several rereads, partly because his work is so dense that it may take three or four passes through before you understand the whole plot. In this case, however, Shirow has really outdone himself. The reader is thrown headlong into a massively complex world with rules entirely its own, and expected to remember everything they've seen in order to understand what is to come. Don't skip or skim over a single line of dialogue, or you may miss an important clue about the nature of events to come.

A good foreknowledge of Japanese mythology helps immensely in understanding both the events and the elaborate jokes Shirow is making by recasting various deities and powers in his own context. I know I'm missing a number of cultural references myself. Fortunately, the author has seen fit to include a lengthy appendix on his world as it relates to "real" mythology, but this is also dense and possibly confusing, as he himself admits.

If complex plot and creative metaphysics aren't your bag, then the humor in this book still holds appeal. Riding above the heavy plot is a hefty dose of slapstick. Susano has some great one-liners for a God of Destruction, and the style of the dialogue is reflected in the illustration, which veers from detailed and realistic as the plot advances, to cartoony and dynamic as the characters trade quips and visual gags. The sight of the priest Fuzen staring at the blasted crater where one of his followers had just stood still sends me into paroxysms of laughter.

In the end, this book is not the best ever; go read Ghost in the Shell for a contender for that position. But it manages to succeed both as a complex pseudo-metaphysical treatise and a physical comedy. Laugh 'til your head hurts.

More info:
    Creators: Shirow Masamune
    Letterer: Tom Orzechowski & Molly Kiely & Susie Lee
    Translator: Frederik Schodt & Toren Smith
    Editor: Peet Janes & Brian Gogolin
    Designer: Cary Grazzini
    Cover Artist: Shirow Masamune
    Genre: Manga, Science-Fiction

Publisher:

Aug 19th, 2012, 11:18 am
Aug 21st, 2012, 10:02 pm

Title: Ravana – Roar Of The Demon King (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Abhimanyu Singh Sisodia (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Muse India (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Sachin Nagar’s artwork is breathtaking, most of the pages are exquisitely done..."

Review:
    “(...) I am the most reviled villain in all Hindu mythology. How did this come to be?”
    Campfire’s graphic novel Ravana: Roar of the Demon King gives the narrative voice to Ravana himself, and from the outset he proves to be something of an omniscient narrator, aware of his past and the future to come, of his place in the pantheon of mythological characters. There have been many retellings of the Ramayana focussing on the villain of the epic, and this one attempts to set itself apart by not merely setting itself in the timeline of the main Ramayana story but rather exploring beyond it, to see Ravana from his childhood. The book begins with Ravana narrating the story of his birth to a demon woman and a Brahmin, going on to describing his youth, how he grew up with his siblings Vibhishana, Kumbhakarna and Meenakshi who later earned the title Soorpanakha. All the characters are instrumental in the Ramayana, and in the book they are portrayed as almost “ordinary” children, playing and arguing with each other, with a strong bond between them. To those familiar with what the future would hold for them, it makes an excellent study of their characters. The purpose behind describing the childhood of Ravana – called Dashananda at the time – is clearly to reveal aspects of his character that would not otherwise be apparent: he is a wise, pious and talented man, but unable to learn the pivotal lesson of non-violence and possessing an arrogance that would lead to his eventual downfall. Most origins of the Ravana myth are depicted in the novel such as the boon of immortality that he gained from Brahma as well as the power to change his form at will, his invention of the Rudra-veena and his boon from Shiva. The ten heads of the legendary demon king are also revealed in a metaphoric reference to ten voices that speak in his head, later to make a physical appearance.

Ravana is depicted as a good, doting king who opened his kingdom to all of the asura kind, naming himself protector of those who had nowhere else to go in the world. He is ambitious enough to challenge the gods and win over their kingdom, he is cursed for attempting to force himself on Rambha, the celestial beauty. As Ravana’s ambition grows, the art reflects how he becomes more ‘demonic’ in appearance, with eyes that burn red and clad in terrifying suits of armour. The final half of the novel is the familiar Ramayana tale Ram is introduced and firmly held as the epitome of virtue; even Ravana acknowledges his superiority in his retrospective view. This part of the story seems almost hurriedly told, perhaps because there is a presumption that the readership is already aware of the incidents. Ravana’s death itself, despite following an impressive physical unleashing of the ten heads, is somewhat anticlimactic in that it receives barely a page for treatment. The novel ends with the promise of rebirth, or reincarnation for Ravana who desires to make amends for his mistakes and the bitter fruits of his arrogance and ambition.

Ravana can be looked at as a graphic novel aimed at a young readership, and the novel does belie some characteristics that suit the categorisation, such as the language, the limitations on the depiction of violence, and the eventual moral message about the importance of a virtuous life. However, it does not completely close itself off from adult readers either: there is a good deal of subtext worth examining, as well as stories within the text that were most likely unknown to most of the readership. Sachin Nagar’s artwork is breathtaking, most of the pages are exquisitely done, but the occasional inclusion of ‘comic book text’ such as a squelching sound effect in the scene depicting Indrajit’s death take away from the quality of the art. The tone of the storyteller is perfect; from the opening speech itself Ravana’s character is revealed- the narratorial voice seems human, powerful, proud and self aware. The story is quick to set Ravana above the entire human race, however. The retrospective flow of the narrative is also one of the strengths of the novel, one can almost imagine Ravana, seated in the afterlife, reflecting on the mistakes of his otherwise illustrious existence. In terms of making the epic accessible to modern audiences, particularly younger ones, the novel has its high and low points, one of the highs being the almost cyberpunk avatars of the Pushpaka Vimanam and the many throw-backs to science fiction in the forms that it takes. A low would be some of the dialogue that seems out of place when set against Ravana’s formal speech: Indrajit attacks Hanuman with “Eat this, monkey man!” which is anachronistically jarring to the reader. Within its short length, Ravana: Roar of the Demon King has succeeded in (de)constructing the self-confessed greatest villain in Hindu mythology, revealing the secrets of his origin and the truth behind his downfall.

More info:
    Written by Abhimanyu Singh Sisodia
    Art by Sachin Nagar

Publisher:

Aug 21st, 2012, 10:02 pm
Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:38 pm

Title: Doomsday +1 (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Joe Gill (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Andrew Wahl (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" You can sure see a solid, if still raw, talent at work."

Review:
    A confession: As a kid, your Comics Bronze Age editor loved Doomsday +1, and that nostalgia surely plays a roll in this issue’s high grade. There’s still plenty to recommend this issue: The post-apocalyptic premise has promise and the early John Byrne art clearly has potential. But the flaws are more obvious to the adult reader: Why is the sexy, female scientist blasting into space wearing a swimsuit and thigh-high boots? Is there something hormonally wrong with these horny astronauts? And why isn’t Kuno the cave man freezer burnt? But, even with such flaws, Doomsday +1 remains good fun.

Grade: B+

Second opinion: “I’m sure Byrne, himself, would cringe looking back at his early work on the strip … but you can sure see a solid, if still raw, talent at work.” — The Groovy Agent, Diversions of the Groovy Kind.

Cool factor: Early John Byrne is always cool.

Not-so-cool factor: Wow, is that the cover to Kamandi #1? (Or, as Kirby Dynamics points out, to Fantastic Universe? Or an image from Planet of the Apes. Time to give that image a rest!)

Notable: Also includes a one-page essay, “What If … ?”, detailing the potential impact of nuclear war. … This issue is reprinted, with a recolored cover, as Doomsday +1 #7.

Character quotable: “Hey, girls! Someone just launched an intercontinental ballistic missile!” — Captain Boyd Ellis, observant leader type.

More info:
    Writer: Joe Gill
    Penciler: John Byrne
    Inker: Byrne

Publisher:

Aug 22nd, 2012, 12:38 pm
Aug 22nd, 2012, 4:34 pm

Title: Red Sonja – Raven (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Marc Mason (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Ray Tate (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" The story is strong, but the ending falls apart..."

Review:
    When Sonja learns of a wave of murder perpetuated in the name of her goddess Scathach, she investigates and discovers another worshipper.

Raped and tortured by men, Raven called out in pain, and Scathach answered.

Raven however is a zealot, and while Sonja will dish out violence when necessary, she tempers the slash of her blade with wisdom. She kills only those who demand her attention but leaving others in peace. Raven's not so discerning.

This is an excellent Red Sonja special. It drives a steel blade between Red Sonja and her imitators. It distinguishes a champion and warrior from a murderer. The differences are sometimes subtle in the brutal worlds created by Robert E. Howard, but gulfs rest within these nuances that separate Conan, Kull and Sonja from the mad kings and wanton warriors they fight.

Marc Mason characterizes Sonja as a thinking She-Devil with a Sword having greater depth than most of her opponents imagine. Sonja studies Raven's army and considers what led them to the ranks. She sympathizes with the women, but that won't stop her from seeing justice done.

Sonja kills men and women so long as it's justified. Raven on the other hand will murder women if they attempt to impede her mission, which gives Sonja the opportunity to demonstrate her compassion.

In creating a stark contrast to Sonja, Mason furthermore explores Sonja's mythology. Many real world feminists looked with eyes askew at Roy Thomas' interpretation of the character. It wasn't just the abbreviated chain-mail but also an insistence that's recapitulated here.

The story all naturally boils down to a duel pitting Sonja against Raven. Raven is the fairer of fighters. Whereas Sonja will employ any trick to win. Raven almost pretends to be what she believed Sonja to be while still harboring and fomenting misanthropy.

Whatever the technique, artists Lui Antonio and Salvatore Aiala illustrate the female body in action with a gorgeous, colorful, visceral flair. However this very precision regarding the female form can be distracting. There's no other way to put this. Raven sports a record number of camel-toes.

You can argue that the loin cloths that cover the women including Sonja are made of silk for comfort. So there's a practicality there, and the cloth would naturally form fit. On the other hand, Antonio could have easily lessened the exposure in the panels. I'm not arguing that he should be censored, nor should this realism be eschewed. Rather, it should be used in brief, pun not intended, for a flash, pun not intended, just to show the authenticity diaphanously draped anatomy.

Raven however did not lose points for the multitude of depiction. Though the accent is distracting, the artwork is nevertheless breathtaking, and the fight choreography inventive. The story is strong, but the ending falls apart, and it's more than just the plotting.

While Sonja chooses to deliver justice, another character's actions puzzle, and the attitude from Raven runs a gamut of evolution in one page. It's as if time flowed faster and years of reflection consolidated into minutes.

More info:
    Rating: Teen +
    Covers: Frank Martin Jr.
    Writer: Marc Mason
    Artist: Lui Antonio
    Genre: Sword and Sorcery, Adventure, Superhero
    Awards: N/A
    Publication Date: Jan 2012
    Format: Comic Book
    Page Count: 40
    Rights: WW
    Age range: 16+