Support for everything about jailbreaking.
Sep 1st, 2010, 4:43 am
How to Edit and Save Hosts file in Windows

Open Notepad with Administrative privileges by clicking Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then right-click Notepad and select to open as Administrator.
Now that Notepad is open with Administrative privileges browse to (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\) in Notepad and open the hosts file, and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Note:
If you do not see the hosts file, please be sure to select all files as seen in the picture below. If that doesn't work then you can also access this file by typing this into run (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Now you navigate to files menu and save the hosts file. By doing this you changed the communication server, and then we will ensure that iTunes checks the firmware on the server rather than opens Saurik toApple! Because your ECID is on that server, the verification will fail and restore the previous version will be done without too many problems!

How to Edit and Save Hosts file in Mac OS X
Navigate to /etc and look for hosts file, right click on hosts file and open with Text Edit, and add the following entry to the bottom of the file.

Now save the file and click on Save As.
Because Text Editor can’t save your system files, here comes the tricky part, in save as windows use the following settings. Or take a close look at the following image.

In Where locate to Desktop
Uncheck the “ If no extension is provide, use .txt “ and then press the save button.

A host file will be appear on your Desktop, just drag and drop to /etc and follow the onscreen instructions.

Press the Replace and enter your Password

By doing this you changed the communication server, and then we will ensure that iTunes checks the firmware on the server rather than opens Saurik to Apple! Because your ECID is on that server, the verification will fail and restore the previous version will be done without too many problems!
Sep 1st, 2010, 4:43 am
Sep 1st, 2010, 9:46 am
Nice! Stickied for 1 month.
Sep 1st, 2010, 9:46 am
Sep 1st, 2010, 1:01 pm
quick question

I add the line with # or without it
mean
# 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

or
Sep 1st, 2010, 1:01 pm
Sep 1st, 2010, 1:23 pm
# means that Windows will ignore that line. So you need to add without the #
Sep 1st, 2010, 1:23 pm
Sep 29th, 2010, 3:34 pm
I tried changing the host file as given in the instruction, but I got the same results every time, still error 3194. My current OS is 3.1.3 3GS. Any other possible solution, thanks
Sep 29th, 2010, 3:34 pm
Sep 29th, 2010, 3:51 pm
manfred marpa wrote:I tried changing the host file as given in the instruction, but I got the same results every time, still error 3194. My current OS is 3.1.3 3GS. Any other possible solution, thanks

Saving and editing the host files is just one part of the process in addition to these you need to have SHSH blobs saved for the version you wish to upgrade to.
Is your device jailbroken (JB)? Since you said you are on 3.1.3 did you save your SHSH blobs?
If its jailbroken and you have cydia, then check if you have your SHSH blobs saved?
If not then jailbreak your device and install cydia on 3.1.3 and press make my life easier button and for now just wait till a stable JB comes out for 4.1.

But if you have SHSH blobs saved lets say for 4.0 or 4.0.1 or for that matter any other firmware besides 4.0.1 then use these to learn how to:
Update the Firmware : viewtopic.php?p=509540#p509540
To download the firmware go here : viewtopic.php?p=509542#p509542

If you still get errors post back here and we will try and sort them out :-)

P.S: Welcome to our forum
Sep 29th, 2010, 3:51 pm
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:36 pm
I really appreciate your help, yes I will try to check things and follow your instructions and let you know if I succeeded or failed to update
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:36 pm