The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Aug 3rd, 2011, 1:37 pm

Title: Batman False Faces (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Brian K. Vaughan (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Pat Shand (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    DC was definitely aiming to please Brian K. Vaughan's huge (and growing) fanbase when they put out this hardcover collection of Vaughan's old runs on Batman and his two issues on Wonder Woman. As Vaughan's introduction, which is a great read in itself, tells us, each of these stories are connected because they deal with identity. The theme is strong in the earlier stories in the volume and... well, I'll tell you a bit about each story.

+ Batman: Close Before Striking- The Batman/Matches Malone vs. the Ventriloquist story spans three issues and is very friendly to newcomers like myself. Like any Brian K. Vaughan story, there are major twists at the end of and during each issue. This miniseries reads as good as anything he's done in recent years, and takes Batman to a very dark psychological place. The closing issue was a bit heavy handed with the identity crisis stuff and lost the subtlety of the first two issues, but it didn't take away from the overall arc of the story, which was a good one.

+ Batman: Mimsy Were the Borogoves- Only Vaughan would write a Batman vs. Jabberwock comic. And only Vaughan could make it good. The story is faced paced, very psychological, and delves into what makes the Mad Hatter tick, and how the Hatter thinks he could be understood... only thing is, that involves turning his doctor into a Jabberwock. It wasn't campy at all, and Brian handles the comic with grace that it seems he's always had. (I hadn't read the next tale yet)

+ Wonder Woman: A Piece of You- No good at all. As you're reading this, you won't care what happens to Wonder Woman, if she beats Clayface, or if she stays looking like Donna for the rest of her life. The dialogue is the clunkiest Brian has ever wrote, the plot itself is silly, and Vaughan deals with the identity theme in a way here that shows that he HASN'T always had that grace. It's worth noting that this was the earliest of all of these comics, so he was still growing as a writer. But how can one defend ending a book on the line "Diana, if there's one thing YOU'VE taughe me, it's that it's not WHAT you're made of... it's how you USE it." What is this, an after school special? Major, major points taken away.

+ Batman: Skullduggery- I won't say very much about this story, because it's short and it relies on a reveal about four pages into it... but it's great. It introduces a new Batman villian that never did but should have caught on.

Overall, it's a book well worth having. The "Wonder Woman" stories take away from the overall rating in a large way, and shouldn't have been included here on the first place. The spine says "Batman: False Faces." The title is "Batman: False Faces." Having a Batman villain in the Wonder Woman story isn't enough reason to include this in a Batman book. Instead of the Wonder Woman story, more time should have been spent on making sure the pages of the book don't have the thickness of tracing paper, which they do.

More info:
    Writer: Brian K. Vaughan
    Veious artists, pencillers and inkers

Aug 3rd, 2011, 1:37 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Aug 6th, 2011, 1:30 pm.
5 WRZ$ reward as announced in Comics News. Nice reviewed. Thanks!
Aug 3rd, 2011, 2:53 pm

Title: Sherlock Holmes – Year One (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Scott Beatty (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: The Canadian Titan (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Pick these up, I don’t think you will be disappointed."

Review: Sherlock Holmes: Year One #5
    I love Sherlock Holmes, though I have not read any of the novels as of yet. Until I do though, there’s a different way to read about the detective — in comics. I have watched a lot of the movies and TV shows, and seen how the master detective uses his powers of deduction to solve what some consider to be impossible crimes.

This 6-issue series is called Sherlock Holmes: Year One and it is a look at how the team up of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson came to be. As the series begins we see brutal murders happening, and it will of course be up to Sherlock Holmes to solve these murders. The villain is known as “The Twelve Caesars Killer” as he been striking fear into the people of London. As Holmes begins to discover the possible secret behind this vicious murderer’s secret, it is questioned as to whether or not Holmes may be a part of the problem. While Holmes and Watson discover the methods and reasons for the crimes, they are still not able to deduce who is responsible.

This brings us to the current issue which comes out this week, Sherlock Holmes: Year One #5. With the “Twelve Caesars Killer” still on the loose and the case still ongoing, a woman from Holmes’ past shows up with bad news. This alone adds to the story with Holmes having two things now to deal with. While Watson is following a hunch of his own, Holmes is beginning to come very close to discovering who the killer is. But with a name like the “Twelve Caesars Killer,” you know that twelve bodies will be found no matter what happens or who gets in the way. Can Holmes and Watson discover the madman behind this or will their first case together end in disaster? Well, you will have to read this issue to find out and the read the final issue the month after to see how the story ends for our detectives.

I really enjoyed the creativeness and the writing and art that went into this series, it gives it a dark look especially for it being back in the 1800′s London. You get a good feel that the author knew not only where these characters have been, but where they are going. This is a good read if you are a Sherlock Holmes fan or you are maybe needing a break from the capes and tights type of books. That or you just want something good and fun to read. Pick these up, I don’t think you will be disappointed.

More info:
    Writer: Scott Beatty
    Penciller/Inker: Daniel Indro

Publisher:

Aug 3rd, 2011, 2:53 pm

Aug 3rd, 2011, 8:00 pm

Title: Daughters of the dragon (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Justin Gray (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Jonathan Rosselli (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    First, let me talk about Khari Evans. The first time I saw his work was on the Shanna the She-Devil: Survival of the Fittest trade. I bought that because I liked Frank Cho's Shanna mini-series and figured I should read what came next. But I remember thinking, "who's this Khari Evans character?" I'd never heard the name, but the cover looked good. So I picked up the book last August. The storyline was underwhelming but the art had a certain something. It was the facial expressions, the way the characters moved, the way they dressed and did their hair and all that. It was fucking real. Sure, Evans' style is sketchy and stylized, but he draws real people. Many other artists can't say the same thing.

Then, sometime in October or November, I was reading one of my favorite comics blogs that was new to me at the time - 4thletter! - and read this post by the brilliant David Brothers. Now, prior to reading that, I'd never heard of Daughters of the Dragon. I had no idea who Colleen Wing was and only the vaguest of Misty Knight. I'd read some Power Man & Iron Fist here and there as a kid but didn't really know the characters. Before sometime last spring I hadn't read much mainstream Marvel comics since the nineties, which should explain why I hadn't. I kept up with continuity when I felt like it, but that was about it. Something about Brothers' write-up on Evans and how he portrayed Misty and Colleen so well really called out to me. I realized that they were "street heroes," which is exactly what I wanted to read right then. A story about low-powered, down-to-earth heroes that could concentrate on the characters instead of some huge continuity event that's more about spectacle and saving the world and all that boring bullshit.

I finally ordered it in December along with Immortal Iron Fist Volume 3: The Book of the Iron Fist (since it had Evans on art, but that's for another post). And it was one of the best comic-buying decisions I had ever made. I already knew that comics publishers like Dark Horse, Oni, Vertigo and Icon were putting out great books every month. Titles like Hellboy, The Goon, Queen & Country, Scalped, and Criminal. But I had pretty much written off superhero comics completely. Daughters of the Dragon brought me back.

The art was as expected - fantastic. As I said earlier, Evans draws real people. Colleen and Misty both have very unique styles, but I believe that they would wear those clothes. Misty's outfits are a little over-the-top and outrageous, but it absolutely fits her personality. She dresses like a cross between a hip-hop diva and a street warrior. Colleen dresses a little more conservatively in tracksuits and the like. She wears various pairs of athletic shoes, the kind of shoes people wear when they're doing active stuff like, y'know, kicking the shit out of people and impaling them with a katana. No stilettos or spandex costumes here. Even Ricadonna, the Big Bad who wears heels when in civvies, switches to practical footwear when it's ass-kicking time.

Both girls also have distinct hairstyles that change throughout the miniseries. Colleen generally wears her hair long and loose, which you'd think would get in the way of samurai kung-fu action, but hey, it's still a comic book. Misty has an awesome retro-70's 'fro, sometimes with just the front part braided. Again, they have real people hair, not ridiculous giant top ponytails or anything equally silly.

And they move like real women. Yeah, there's plenty of T&A here, but it's all in the line of duty. Misty and Colleen don't just stand around posing, hips cocked out and backs arched. When they aren't fighting they walk around like badass chicks with attitude, sit on couches and easy chairs the way girls do. When they fight, their woman-parts tend to move around some, especially Misty's. She is based on Pam Grier, so she has plenty up top to bounce around. Colleen even comments that Misty doesn't wear underwear, which seems like the pot calling the kettle black. Either way, both these girls look all natural, no silicone spheres, toothpick legs and wasp waists.

Then there's the writing. Palmiotti and Gray, a duo I learned to love on Power Girl (okay so I was reading some superhero books, but not for the right reasons), were easily able to stand up to Evans' art. The dialogue between Misty and Colleen is snappy, funny and convincing. Each character has her own distinct voice. There are many great lines in the book, but my personal favorite is when the girls show up at Punisher's warehouse to borrow some weapons for the climax showdown, and Colleen checks out Frank's collection of chainsaws: "Do much logging in Brooklyn?"

The characters are great. Misty and Colleen not only have their own voices, but their own personalities that really come through in the writing. Misty is hot-headed, emotional and has a violent temper. She has insecurities that she wants to keep hidden, but Colleen knows her too well. Colleen is cool and collected, but not emotionless by any means. The girls play very well off each other and have a convincing relationship. We don't have to be told that they're best friends with a lot of history - it comes through clearly. I really cared about both of them throughout the story. Misty and Colleen are real people, not just hot babes in tight clothes.

The plot isn't anything mind-blowing. A bunch of D-list villains steel a MacGuffin (a computer chip) from a new villainess named Ricadonna. She's a hot Italian chick who runs a fashion line or magazine or something (it's never quite clear) as a front for taking over a good piece of the Mafia action in the New York Metro area. Ricadonna also appears to be a kung-fu master and also is proficient with firearms. She starts killing off the thieves one by one, and Humbug, probably the most ridiculous of them all, approaches Misty Knight to try to save his own life. He gives her the chip, which turns out to be some sort of doomsday computer virus that Ricadonna plans to sell to the highest evil bidder at an evil auction to be held in a few days. Ricadonna appears on the scene, beats the shit out of Misty and takes back the chip, setting everything up for the final showdown. Danny Rand joins up with the girls, which is great because you can never have too much Iron Fist. They all show up at the auction and a huge beatdown ensues. It doesn't really matter that we've all seen this before, because it's still awesome every time, and the characters are so good.

It's really too bad this didn't become an ongoing series, although it paved the way for the Heroes for Hire ongoing that came out soon after. It's great to see a book with lead characters that are both female and minorities. Daughters of the Dragon: Samurai Bullets is a great change of pace and an all-around great story. Read it.

More info:
    Writer: Justin Gray
    Penciller (cover): Khari Evans
    Inker: James Palmiotti
    Colorist: Christina Strain
    Letterer: Dave Lanphear
    Orig. Published: January 11, 2006
    Imprint: MARVEL UNIVERSE

Aug 3rd, 2011, 8:00 pm

Aug 4th, 2011, 7:52 am

Title: Superman vs. Muhammad Ali (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Dennis O'Neil (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: H. Bala (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    SUPERMAN VS. MUHAMMAD ALI, who remembers this one? Not long after the seminal DC/Marvel crossover in which Superman teamed up with Spider-Man in 1976, boxing promoter Don King stepped into DC Comics' sanctum sanctorum and proposed a bout between the Man of Steel and the Louisville Lip. In 1978, the monumental 73-paged one-shot issue came out.

We know of Ali's impact as a cultural icon and his stand against the Vietnam War. His exploits in the Rumble in the Jungle and the Thrilla in Manila are legendary. But did you know that Ali also helped save the Earth from an alien menace? See, what had happened was: The extraterrestrial people, the Scrubbs (yeah, they shoulda picked a better name), have deemed humans to be too warlike and a threat to the other alien races in the galaxy. This sets up a mega-boxing match between the Scrubbs' champion and Earth's champion, with the Scrubbs armada hovering over Earth ready to destroy it should our warrior loses. With the stakes so high, Superman steps up to the plate.

Except that the planet's reigning heavyweight champ, Muhammad Ali, takes exception. Superman tells Ali: "You may be the best human scrapper, but I'm super human!" To which, Ali retorts: "Right. But that's exactly why you shouldn't! They're talkin' about an Earthman... an' you were born on Krypton!" With both men unwilling to back down, there was only one way to settle things: duke it out in the ring to see who would represent Earth.

The story's highlight, of course, is the donnybrook between Ali and Superman (and that was a hell of a fight). In the confines of the story, theirs would only be the undercard, the main event still that match for all the marbles against the Scrubbs' formidable pugilist. Co-writers Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil inject several nice touches that elevate the story. First, of course, is that Ali's presence makes this a fascinating curio piece. The writing pays homage to Ali and Superman's core personas, to what makes them such lasting iconic figures. I thought the Greatest was portrayed terrifically, his dialogue sounding true to form. He even predicts the round he'll knock out his opponent. Neal Adams draws the thing, and maybe the highest compliment I can pay him is that Ali looks like Ali. Adams is such an awesome, dynamic artist. To segue some, Dick Giordano and Terry Austin, two of the best inkers in the biz, do great embellishing Adams' pencils.

Superman has abilities far beyond those of mortal man. Doesn't mean he knows squat about the Sweet Science. In the interest of fair play, to prep for their big fight, Ali teaches Superman the basics of boxing. And maybe my favorite part in this story is how their fight unfolds, and the outcome. Many alien races descend on our solar system to attend this mega-event, and Neal Adams really does justice to the scope of the story. Jimmy Olsen as the ringside boxing commentator, I can take or leave (mostly leave). The story isn't limited to the squared circle, of course. There's a sneaking suspicion that the Scrubb leader is headed for a seriously heel turn, and sure enough we get treated to duplicity and an undercover mission, to an epic space battle which pits Superman against an alien armada and Ali again proving that he's a baaaaad man. To cap it all off, the epilogue features Ali demonstrating a phenomenal bit of deduction. It certainly leaves Superman flustered.

Bonus material for this hardcover Deluxe Edition consists of a brief foreword from Neal Adams; an afterword by Jenette Kahn (who at the time was DC's publisher); a reprinting of the famous wraparound cover - which featured a galaxy of celebrities who were relevant back in the '70s and a host of those then on the DC Comics staff - and a key which identifies all the people on the cover; and eleven pages of Neal Adams' pencil sketches.

More info:
    Dennis O'Neil (Author)
    Neal Adams (Illustrator)

Aug 4th, 2011, 7:52 am

Aug 4th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Title: Warlord of Mars - Dejah Thoris (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Arvid Nelson (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: DS Arsenault (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Warlord of Mars Dejah Thoris #2
    The Story: The Colossus of Mars, Chapter Two of Five: Dejah Thoris, Princess of Lesser Helium, along with her father and grandfather (the Jeddak of Lesser Helium) are in the clutches of the Jeddak of Yorn. Help comes from an unexpected quarter, while more dire danger comes from another.

The Review: I’m following both this series and Warlord of Mars. While Warlord of Mars Image is a close adaptation of Burroughs’ original novel, Nelson in Dejah Thoris is able to strike in new and unexpected directions. I love the whole vassalage of Helium to Yorn, and the Colossus built by the long dead Barsoomian scientist. Tone-wise, it feels like Burroughs and fits the canon. Nelson has given us palace intrigue, a mysterious artifact, a colorful cast of characters in deep danger and a heroine we can root for.

Rafael and Lopez on art are a great combination. Their green Martians were menacing, their flying ships cool, and their action scenes dynamic. I continue to appreciate their excellent depictions of the Prince of Yorn and the Jeddak’s chief advisor. Their huffing, jiggling faces were both ironic comic relief and dashes of realistic characterization. The Colossus itself, with its rough finish and hollow eyes, was way cool. And of course, our heroine was her usual stunning self.

On Dejah Thoris the character, I wasn’t completely sold, but I haven’t refused to buy, either. Burroughs’ original conception of her was very much the classic, honorable damsel in distress of the pulp tradition of early 1900s. So she needed a bit of modernizing in a way that none of the other Barsoomian characters did, given how much gender roles have changed (when Burroughs wrote Princess of Mars, women couldn’t vote in Canada). Nelson is modernizing her, but her quick and proficient hand with the cool double-bladed sword made me wonder why more women aren’t in the navies of Barsoom, especially considering Martian women are oviparous and don’t have to deal with pregnancies. I guess it’s a question of world-building consistency for me. As a modern reader, I’m quite prepared to have a Barsoom with modern gender sensibilities, but I guess it would be harder for me to buy that only the princess can defend herself while the other red women can’t. However, this is a small point and doesn’t at all detract from the story.

Conclusion: Dynamite has a winner with a great setting, a strong female lead, an unlimited storehouse of adventures and the creative team to make it happen. You should be reading the series.

More info:
    Arvid Nelson (writer)
    Carlos Rafael (artist)
    Carlos Lopez (colorist)
    Edgar Rice Burroughs (creator)

Aug 4th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Aug 4th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Title: 30 Days of Night – Night, Again (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Joe R. Lansdale (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Jorge Solis (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Absolutely recommended, horror fans should not miss out on 30 DAYS OF NIGHT: NIGHT, AGAIN #1 (IDW Publishing). Originally created by Steve Niles and Ben Templesmith, this horror comic takes the 30 DAYS series to an utterly insane and twisted direction. In the ongoing battle between human and vampires, another infestation has taken place in the cold and wilds of Alaska. From the creative minds of award-winning author Joe R. Lansdale (THE DRIVE-IN, BUBBA HO-TEP) and legendary artist Sam Kieth (THE MAXX), this is the perfect team-up of story and art.

In Barrow, Alaska, a group of bloodsuckers have left a gory trail of mass destruction. These hungry parasites have ripped off the limbs and heads of their screaming victims. The leader of this monstrous pack is patiently waiting for the sun to set down for the last time and nightfall to begin forever. Even though her belly is full, she will always wake up hungry.

After luckily escaping, Trudy wanders with the last remaining survivors across a landscape of white snow. Not by choice, Trudy is unfortunately named the leader and has to bravely protect her people from the vampires, who will not stop hunting them. Armed only with a gun and a few bullets, she has to reach a town 100 miles away from Barrow. With no cell service and a rough terrain up ahead, her only plan is to find the single road that leads to town and find shelter.

With no intentions of slowing down, the vampires are quickly gaining on the escapees. The vicious vamps are breaking into homes, nailing their victims to the walls and drinking their blood. Trudy intends to help her group find salvation. When they are finally rested and safe, she will go back alone and kill every one of the monsters.

As the author, Lansdale knows how to keep the simple plot engaging. As always, Lansdale’s dialogue is perfectly sharp and snappy. Readers will find it interesting with how the author compares the two female leaders. Trudy is like the female vampire because she is coldhearted for revenge. Both leaders will do anything to protect their clan and will even take the extra step to make their authority feel known.

The artwork by Kieth is definitely worth the price alone! Kieth’s illustrations add a whole new level of terror and ambience. These vampires are hyper-fast and happily drown their mouths in blood. The colors by Jay Fotos enhance the dreariness of the icy scenery. You will not be able to put this comic book down after taking a look at these pages!

Go to your stores now and get your mitts on 30 DAYS OF NIGHT: NIGHT, AGAIN #1. With Lansdale’s fast dialogue and Kieth’s excellent artwork, readers are going to have an entertaining thrill ride. NIGHT, AGAIN is a phenomenal start to a spectacular four-issue miniseries! From start to finish, you will undoubtedly enjoy this comic book.

More info:
    Jay Fotos colorist
    Joe R. Lansdale writer
    Neil Uyetake letterer
    Sam Kieth artist
    Tom Waltz editor

Aug 4th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Aug 4th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Title: Jason vs Leatherface (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Nancy Collins (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Tristan Jones (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    The horror genre is a pretty resilient monster. It manages to seep into just about every form of media available for consumption. Over the past twenty years, horror has become increasingly popular in comic books. Sure it's been there since comics began, but the past twenty years has seen a definite increase in explicit horror comic books. No longer heroic tales of man versus monster, nowadays you can get comics far more explicit than a number of films out there. Even the genre favourites, such as Freddy, Jason, Ash, Leatherface, even Chucky, have had various runs in the medium. So, as the first of the Digital Retribution comic book reviews, I thought I'd take a gander at a three-part series that many people consider the "Holy Grail" of horror comics; Jason vs Leatherface…

Published in 1995 by the now non-existent Topps Comics, Jason vs Leatherface pitted two of the genre's heavyweights in a head on collision of what was purported to be titanic proportions. The only thing titanic about Jason vs Leatherface is the disappointment that follows having completed the three-book arc. The only thing the Collins seems to have down is Jason's personality. Now think about that… Jason's P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y. That's the level we're on with this one. Everything else is pretty much wrong or suffers horrendously from laziness. Instead of coming up with names for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre's Hitchhiker and Cook, she simply calls them Hitchhiker and Cook. Collins also seems to have forgotten that the Friday the 13th movies actually stemmed from the original Friday the 13th, as for some inexplicable reason, Pamela Vorhees is a grotesquely overweight woman called Doris.

Basically what happens in Jason vs Leatherface is Crystal Lake has, for some unexplained reason, become a toxic waste dump. The fatcats decide that they've done too much environmental damage to go back, so they dredge the lake and drain it, releasing Jason. Jason hitches a train south, where his idiotic stumbling leads him to Leatherface, the two become friends and Leatherface adopts him into the family. Progressively, things turn sour and the family and Jason turn on each other. One cliché after another really.

This really could have been a fanboy's dream come true, if it weren't for the fact it were so poorly written, and the art so completely off the mark and cartoonish. If anyone has read the recent Avatar Press iterations of Jason and Leatherface, then you've seen how good these two characters can look in a comic. In both books, the characters are all spot on, but in Jason vs Leatherface, the only one who doesn't look as though he's been ripped out of a Mad Magazine is Jason. The Hitchhiker and the Cook would look identical if they had bald heads. There's one panel in the second issue where a Swastika appears on the Hitchhiker's face, and then in the next panel it's gone. Why?! It's like 2nd Grade mentality where kids signify who's bad by putting every major, recognisable icon of evil on them. There are a few more baffling artistic inconsistencies, but that one in particular stands out like a naked man with a megaphone.

The only upsides I could see to these three books were the fact that the cover art is done by the legendary Simon Bisley, which can actually be found in his recently released "The Art of" book (and therefore doesn't warrant buying these just for Bisley's work), and the pacing of the actual story. The visual progression is pretty uninspiring (no dynamic panelling or awesome splash pages; something I thought this book would be perfect for) and the actual written word is tripe, but the progression of the story itself and the events therein is solid enough.
    It's a real shame that this book turned out the way it did. As I said, it really could have been something fantastic, but came out a horrible, festering mess. I'm not a huge fan of Jason, I keep hoping someone makes him more than a solid wall of repetitious violence, and even though Collins tried to here, she threw away or completely ignored established continuity, and Jason still came off worse than he does in some of the movies. I do however find Leatherface and his family an interesting subject, but once again, laziness or poor writing skills really put a bullet in it for me. I have a feeling the reason these comics are worth so much on the collector's markets is because they're a rare find. I cannot imagine anyone, even a lot of hardcore fans, wanting these books if they'd read them beforehand. Here's hoping someone has another shot and gets it right.

More info:
    Written by: Nancy Collins
    Art: Jeff Butler
    Publisher: Topps Comics
    Issues: 3

Aug 4th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Aug 6th, 2011, 1:31 pm.
Aug 5th, 2011, 8:02 am

Title: The Aladdin Effect (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): David Michelinie (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: The Masked Bookwyrm (Review 1) and Mel Zorro (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Review 1 - A Wyoming town finds itself cut off from the rest of the world -- literally. Surrounded by a force field the town is threatening to degenerate into a no man's land of street gangs as the limited resources of food and power gradually become exhausted. Why this is happening, or how it can be combated, no one knows, not even the local sheriff. The sheriff's eight year old daughter, Holly-Ann, meanwhile, is a big fan of super heroes and wish some would rescue them. Pretty soon, the She-Hulk, Storm, the Wasp, and Tigra mysteriously find themselves in the town, with no memory of how they got there. And then the bad guys show up...

The Aladdin Effect is a solid, slightly off-beat adventure, teaming some of Marvel's second string heroines in a tale that shows they can take centre stage pretty well. Writer David Michelinie does a good job of capturing their various personalities, which isn't always the case with a team up by a writer who might not be that familiar with all the characters. The graphic novel starts out particularly nicely, with its grim, moody portrait of desperation, gradually developing its story even before the super people show up. Once the villains make themselves known the story loses some of its eerie mood, but it nonetheless maintains interest, even turning into a paean to the Human Spirit -- albeit a hokey, heavy handed one -- as the town folks themselves rise up against their oppressors.

Interestingly, it could be argued the story bears more than a few similarities to the Stephen King-scripted mini-series, Storm of the Century, which was made more than fifteen years after this was published. In both stories you have a town cut-off from the outside by a malevolent force that says it wants something from the town, but won't say what, and where a central character is the local sheriff. There's even another parallel, but I won't say what for fear of giving too much away.

There's a difference in spirit though (well, aside from the obvious of one being a super hero adventure and the other a horror tale). The Aladdin Effect, as noted, is about people triumphing over their baser instincts, while King's mini-series was more about people being defeated by their baser instincts.

The art by Greg LaRocque and Vince Colletta is of a kind of unspectacular but reasonably effective, unstylized comicbook art. The kind that tells the story. Which means, though it could have been better, it could have been a lot worse, too. The painted colours, uncredited, are also nicely effective in an unsplashy way.

These early Marvel Graphic Novels often flirted with the idea of being "mature readers" stories, perhaps as a way of justifying the "prestigious" format. On one hand, the Aladdin Effect doesn't go where you might expect with a book featuring a bunch of heroines -- LaRocque doesn't indulge in cheesecake poses and there's no actual nudity (though it comes close in a couple of panels). The main indulgence is the way nipples seem to project against the fabric of shirts with a little more frequency than in a Comics Code Approved comic. However, there's one scene involving the attempted gang rape of a temporarily amnesiac Wasp, a scene that seems more graphic than one would expect in a regular comic. The point about all this lurid dwelling on any perceived raciness is that the Aladdin Effect features as one of its focal characters, perhaps the focal character, eight year old Holly-Ann. Telling a story with a child as protagonist would seem to imply a story aimed at younger readers...as such, some of the grittier material, however subtle the distinction between it and what might appear in a regular comic, is...awkward.

With that being said, the use of a youngster doesn't alienate an adult reader, Holly-Ann avoiding being too cloying or cutesy a personality.

The Aladdin Effect may not be a classic, per se, but it's a slightly off-beat, nicely absorbing read.

Review 2 - Marvel surprised me with more mature commentaries on human nature in this Twilight Zone meets The Incredible Hulk(TV Series)style super-hero story.

Previously I had only read the She-Hulk graphic novel from this series and was worried that this one would dumb it down for kids based on the cover, but Marvel really brought on some unexpected scenes.

Basically a small town is unwillingly surrounded by an invisible forcefield (kind of like The Simpsons Movie) and a young girl wishes that her favorite super-heroines would come to save her, while her Dad (The Town Sherriff) tries to keep the peace.

Through the girl's previously unknown mutant/magic power the heroines (Storm, Tigra, She-Hulk and The Wasp) arrive, but have no memory of who or what they are. The girl reminds them, but it is not until the entire town bands together to fight against their mysterious captors that they free themselves.

Pretty standard story, but scenes like Janet Van Dyne in a slip being chained to a fence and beaten by thugs who intend to take advantage of her definitely take you out of the family-friendly zone. There is also some language, which is very surprising for the Marvel of the 80's, but I guess that was the point of the graphic novel series-to reach out to the maturing comics audience.

Anyway, don't be thrown by the cover, this is not for the kiddies.

More info:
    Written by David Michelinie
    story by Jim Shooter
    Pencils by Greg LaRocque
    Inks by Vince Colletta.

Aug 5th, 2011, 8:02 am

Aug 5th, 2011, 8:29 am

Title: The Last Days of Animal Man (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Gerry Conway (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: The Masked Bookwyrm (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    "Last" stories about comic book heroes constitutes almost an entire sub-genre in comics. DC has done more than a few such "imaginary" stories over the years and Marvel has released a slew of apocryphal "The End" one shots and mini-series.

The fact that Animal Man is basically a second string character means he might seem an odd choice for such a focus. But whether DC was soliciting ideas for a "last" Animal Man project, or whether Gerry Conway pitched it out of the blue, I don't know.

Conway was part of the first wave of new blood to come into comics in the late 1960s/early 1970s (the early Silver Age being initiated by hold overs from the Golden Age), and he worked on practically every significant character at both Marvel and DC -- from Spider-Man to Superman, Batman to Daredevil. Although his most successful self-created character is probably Firestorm, he also gave comics Power Girl and a few other characters as well. Conway was such a ubiquitous part of the comics I grew up with that I was a bit surprised recently when I read (in the creator bios of some TPB collection or other) that he hadn't actually written a comic in fifteen years! (having left to write for Hollywood).

But now he's back...penning a "what if...?" final adventure for Animal Man. A curious property to herald his return to the four-colour medium, since he had no previous connection to the character. Though that very lack of connection may be an advantage. Conway's portrayal of Buddy Baker, with virtues and flaws, feet of clay, and an ability to be trounced in a fight, is certainly in keeping with the earlier take on the character -- at least, as Grant Morrison depictedd him in the first TPB collection (reviewed above), and evocative of comicdoms ultimate hard luck hero, Spider-Man. Yet the plot isn't tied up in incomprehensible minutia of Animal Man lore, or relying on too many oblique references to past issues.

You don't really need to know much about Animal Man to appreciate this final adventure.

Conway's old comics writing I'll freely admit could be up and down, but I'm not sure he received the recognition I'd argue he deserves. He wrote one of my all time favourite eras of Batman comics, and many would argue his early '70s run on Spider-Man was one of that character's peak periods. And reading this...you're seeing an old pro at work. One who hasn't succumbed to hubris, who recognizes that pretension must take back seat to Old School storytelling.

The premise here is that Buddy Baker a.k.a. Animal Man is getting older -- not even old, particularly, just older. And his powers are becoming more uncertain and erratic, forcing him to realize that he's losing his powers. He's not dying of cancer or anything...he's just losing his ability to be a super hero. It's a mundane concept...that very mundanity making it quite audacious, as Conway sets out to tell an allegory about coming to terms with aging in the context of people in tights with super powers.

While Buddy must contend with a couple of new super villains, he's also forced to take stock of his life -- the chapter titles themselves taken from the stages of grief: Denial, Bargaining, etc. He seeks help from his fellow super heroes to reverse the process, even as he learns being a super hero caused him to miss out on being there for his kids as they grew up. At one point Buddy muses how not only is he no longer the man he was...he's not even the man he thought he was. Yet again, Conway cleverly avoids melodrama. It's not that Buddy is estranged from his family, merely that he realizes he's not as close with them as he would've liked.

Yet if all this sounds pretentious and heavy -- it isn't. That's what I meant about Conway being a storyteller. The scenes flow as smoothly as water on glass. The dialogue can be clever and amusing, as well as heartfelt and introspective, but you rarely find yourself pausing to think how "clever" it is, or how "smart" Conway is for writing it. Because it flows so naturally, it's just part of the scenes, part of the character interaction. And his Buddy comes across very much as a three dimensional human being...not just a super hero.

The villains themselves, a bruiser named Bloodrage, and a second generation villainess, Prismatik, are fairly bland. But even that's what I mean by "Old School" storytelling. Conway deftly balances the thoughtful sub-text and character introspection...with glib super heroing and bad guys who are comfortably archetypal (though given just enough interesting dialogue and interaction to give them some dimension). They're enough of a menace to convincingly seem like a threat, not only to the waning Animal Man, but to the League of Titans (the near future JLA, which mix familiar faces like Superman and Starfire, with some newer heroes), without being some earth shattering menace that would take the focus from what, after all, is a story about Buddy Baker.

Super hero comics over the years have made greater and greater claim to sophistication, to art, but it's still rare to read a super hero comic that feels like a writer put himself into the work. With many of them -- from Alan Moore to Geoff Johns -- you believe they're calling upon their passion and interest in comic books. But not that they are drawing upon their life the way you would expect a playwright or novelist to do.

I'm not saying we should read too much of this as auto-biographical. But middle aged Conway writes about a middle aged Animal Man with a perception that feels like he's employing that old adage writers are always told (but don't seem to utilize in comics too much) -- write what you know. Buddy's taking stock of his life, reflecting on his relationship with his wife and kids, recalling memories of his dead dad, are all the stuff you'd write...even if your lead wasn't a guy in orange spandex. Even the fact that Buddy is a Hollywood stunt man, and Conway has been working in Hollywood for the last few years, makes you wonder if Conway is drawing upon his insider knowledge.

The series is illustrated by Chris Batista, an artist with a clean, realist style that is eminently effective, capturing the realism that suits the realist themes of this story about a real guy facing the real prospect of his own fragility...with the heroic dynamism of a fun super hero romp. Batista also shows surprising restraint with his female characters, with both Power Girl and Starfire featured prominently. Too many modern artists have let their libidos run wild in depicting female heroes, and these two inparticular. But Batista resists the urge. Sure, they're pretty and in revealing costumes, but not to the point where it becomes embarrassing.

Batista (or his inkers) could learn to make use of shadows, to add more texture and depth to the figures, but in general it's nice, attractive work. And to old time Animal Man fans, it's a bit of a dream come true. Because Animal Man is often associated with the Brian Bolland covers from his old series (Bolland also provided the covers for this series). But to many a fans' disappointment, Bolland didn't draw any interiors. Batista's style is certainly playing in the same school yard as Bolland, giving a certain familiarity to the visuals, as if at long last fans are getting to see the Animal Man they always imagined.

The series straddles the needs of being a fun romp, and of being melancholy and introspective. And by the end, it's more up-lifting than down beat. It is presented as the last days of "Animal Man"...not necessarily of Buddy Baker. And, of course, the story is deliberately apocryphal. Not only is it set in the future, with Conway having fun with the possibilities -- including depicting an unusual Greenn Lantern -- but in the final panel there's an image that further winks at us and suggests this is, after all, not adhering to mainstream continuity.

A lot of modern comics fans will talk about "sophisticated" comics...and then cite stories of crossover mega-events, of metahuman legalese, or meta-textual self-reflective stories analyzing what it means to be a comic book super hero -- Animal Man himself is famous for a critically regarded run of earlier stories in which he became aware that he was just a comic book character. But honestly, though I can enjoy such stories...they're just comic stories about comic book dilemmas. Here, Conway's using a comic book character...to muse upon real fears, real doubts, real regrets.

Based on some reviews I read of this, I got the impression critics generally liked it...without gushing over much. And I can sort of see that. As I say, the villains and the threat they represent are fairly generic, and the overall story isn't some cosmos shaking apocalypse. But that's actually why it kind of settles into your bones so well.

Conway writes a story that reads almost effortlessly. From the fun quip or humorous bits, to the fist fights and action, to the introspection and character exploration. No, it's not about some cosmic "Crisis", or a crossover event. It doesn't ask us to examine the conventions of the medium. It doesn't set out to shock us with graphic violence or racy innuendo. Nonetheless, it's a grown up story about a guy realizing he's not getting any younger.

Put it on your shelf and a few years from now, when the latest "Final Ultimate Mega Crisis" epic no longer floats your boat, and the next meta-textual redefinition of super heroes that critics tell you is must reading seems kind of quaint, take it down off the shelf for another go round.

And you just might find yourself going: Now that's a good read.

More info:
    Written by Gerry Conway
    Pencils by Chris Batista
    Inks by Dave Meikis, Wayne Faucher.
    Colours: Mike Atiyeh
    Letters: Clem Robbins
    Editor: Joey Cavalieri.
Aug 5th, 2011, 8:29 am

Aug 5th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Title: The story of John (Click to go to the release post)
Review source: Guy1731 (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Compared to the HUGE number of registered members, and an impressive daily visitors quote, there ain't really many users really 'active' on the forum, beside finding and downloading the stuff they like. But, those who want to, can find here for sure a way to show to others what they are capable of. That's the reason why we wanted to write a book. The idea crossed our mind to write a comic book, but making a comic isn't an easy task. Just like a surgeon has to combine intelligence and knowledge with the practical ability to fulfil complicated interventions, a comics writer has to turn a good story into drawings that visualizes the plot he has in mind. Generally the graphical part is done by an artist, but I can imagine why some writers prefer to do the drawing themselves, exactly for the reason mentioned above. So we left out the graphical part. Although reviewed here, this isn't indeed a comics book we made, and - to be honest - there wasn't much a plot either before we started. We thought the idea was simple: let anyone add some pieces of text, and in the end it might melt together in some story. It turned out pretty well. This story will never become a movie - though there's vampires, Lara-Croft-kind-of action and twilight zone ideas in it - still I'm sure those who participated enjoyed their input, and the way others reacted to that when writing their part(s). It's described literally in the foreword: '...the story flows with what each of the supporting members had in mind and therefore it collects chapters full of surprising actions...' Surprised we were indeed. Here's something more to get you reading:

In Chapter one: " Where am I...", we discover our "hero": John, as a car-repair-man, working in a company owned by one-legged Ian with his crutches, he gets caught by the RIAA before ending up in New-York where he first meets the drug-scene, and finally an explosion in a sandwich-bar could have made an end to his life if there wasn't that old-blind woman wearing dark sunglasses putting a note "to get out" in his pocket before disappearing...

In Chapter two: " Where I am not...", we find out John's wife left him for a Russian football-player, he goes for a trip to Paris (but the wrong one...), has one of the strangest encounters with a tall gorgeous mid-thirties lady - "wearing dark glasses and a khaki flowered-motif scarf around her long curly brown hair" - to finally find out it was all a dream he was having on the couch at home... (you shouldn't drink that much, John!)

Chapter three: " I am at PPC warez...." is made from program/games titles and makes John fly above a "Brain" school , encountering an UFO to finally land near the entrance of some mysterious cavern... We will never know if he was on drugs in that story, but maybe some users/writers were! Anyway, a nice chapter.

In Chapter four: " When John met his partner...", John meets Suzan - his "meaning of life" - in a bar, but it takes a while before they find out they belong together. This chapter is made from song titles, from which we all were surprised so many exist. Trough the story we discovered the meaning of many titles. We find out John is - beside a romantic fellow - not really a car-repair-man, but an experted in bathroom designer, we discover Suzan is far more beautiful than the most expensive diamond and the most colourful flower, we witness John and Suzan spending a few daysin Paris (the French one) and have a wonderful stay at Disney World, (included a bed-time story...), John offers a ring to Suzan and they make love on the beach somewhere...

Shall we ever know what happened next? Fact is John and Suzie get separated - they have their own life to live - but couldn't forget each other... Beside that, ...until he met Suzan, John had been like 'knitting' patiently a red sweater, and the day she crossed his path it was like a fibre of the sweater got stuck on her and from then on she would stay for ever the "fil rouge" in his life...

In chapter five: " John and Suzy meet again...", Suzan sends a message to John to meet again. John goes aboard a ship that should take him to the island she lives, but something happens with the ship... Suzan makes a "close encounter" with some sinister "men in black"... We're not sure what will happen next, but this "reunion" clearly doesn't happen flawlessly. To make it all more complicated, John finds some strange "marks" on his neck... or is it just a dream??? And will we find out if Suzan is - yes or no - pregnant after their personal "beach-party" from chapter four?

Find it out yourself...Read it!

More info:
    Story was written here by: andree, gsessons, Guy1731, KRDziadek, Lifehacker, sdawson, unksr00t, Zacharie.
    Cover created by yard
    Foreword & book creation by andree

Aug 5th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Aug 5th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Title: Animal Man (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Grant Morrison (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: The Masked Bookwyrm (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Animal Man #1-9
    Animal Man was an obscure 1960s character, briefly dusted off in the 1980s in Action Comics, before being selected by Grant Morrison to headline a series. Morrison was one of the wave of U.K. writers DC Comics scooped up in the wake of Alan Moore's successes, in the hope they'd bring a similar critically acclaimed edginess to erstwhile quaint American properties. Morrison attempted to do just that with this super hero who could absorb the powers of any animal in his immediate vicinity.

The first four issues form a self-contained story as Buddy Baker, one-time super hero, now married with two young kids, considers re-starting his super hero career. Postulating the idea that super heroes are like other celebrities, Morrison deconstructs how a hero becomes a hero -- he trains, practices, gets an agent, puts the word out that he's willing to fight crime, does talk shows, and hopes for the best. Soon he gets called in to investigate a break in at a research lab. Buddy has some qualms about the assignment, particularly when he realizes his animal powers make him especially empathetic to the suffering of the lab animals. But things go from bad to worse when Buddy quickly realizes he's out of his league, and that the super powered "bad guy" he's trying to track down (another obscure 1960s character) is more powerful -- and dangerous -- than he is.

For all the edgy trappings, for all the grittiness, Morrison's initial spin on Animal Man reminded me of a 1980s version of Stan Lee's early Spider-Man, where the super heroics are given a revisionist spin, contrasted with the real world and life's mundanities. Buddy's a good guy, but can get whipped in a fight, and things don't always come easy to him, including fandom as a super hero autograph hound rebuffs him on realizing the orange-suited Animal Man isn't Aquaman. His first fight with his foe, when he realizes just how truly dangerous is this glib life he's chosen, is particularly effective. And, like Lee's Spider-Man, there's a lot of humour and humanity to the proceedings.

There's also a lot of nastiness and brutality, too. A sub-plot evoking "Deliverance" is particularly raw and, to some extent, not entirely justified -- or, at least, integrated -- into this story. Though it serves a theme of man's inhumanity. As mentioned, this was part of the post-Alan Moore U.K. invasion of American comics, bringing with it a darker, grittier sensibility. The early Animal Man comics were published as part of DC's "New Format", which was basically a bridge between regular, Comics Code approved comics and those out-right labelled as for "Mature Readers" -- in other words, it was basically skirting mature readers territory. (Eventually is was moved to the Vertigo imprint).

The first four issues balance the needs of telling an exciting adventure story, one that unfolds intriguingly as you try to figure out who this mysterious figure is, or where things are headed, with Morrison's quirky sensibility and deconstructionism. There's even an effective -- if very dark -- ironic ending.

In his introduction, Morrison admits he wanted to do a mini-series, reviving Animal Man, and introducing a political sub-text involving animal rights (a cause Morrison himself was becoming involved in), then he intended to hand the thing over for others to run with. Instead, DC persuaded him to stick around. And, at least initially, Morrison seems unsure of what to do with his series, or his hero -- even the absorbing animal powers aspect is largely forgotten (Buddy just consistently seems to have generic powers like flight and strength, as opposed to absorbing unusual abilities in each situation). To varying extents, some of the next few issues even reduce Animal Man to a supporting part in his own comic, as Morrison tells stories in which the focus is on guest star characters.

"Coyote Gospel" (#5) has been much heralded as a great story, and maybe it was because of that very hype, but I wasn't as smitten with it. It's interesting, but not too much more. Later stories tie-in to DC's Invasion story, which isn't too confusing for the first couple of issues, though maybe gets a little more so in the post-Invasion issues, when Animal Man is dealing with an ill-explained problem with his super power (though Morrison's introduction helps clarify things like that). But by then Morrison has begun introducing sub-plots, and the final story ends with Buddy still suffering from haywire super powers. In other words, the TPB doesn't really resolve or conclude.

The animal rights aspect (after the first four issue arc) is handled with soft fingers, with Buddy talking about his views, rather than acting on them. At one point it's mentioned that he's been helping some militant animal rights groups...but it's not depicted, nor even explained how they knew of his sympathies in order to contact him. Morrison writes a little like there's stuff happening off the page...stuff that might be more interesting than what's happening on it, sometimes. Maybe DC Comics felt -- perhaps rightly -- that a comic book wasn't the place to proselytize, and that Buddy stating his beliefs was as far as they wanted to go. But even Morrison himself seems less interested in pursuing the political aspect, in his introduction even remarking he had "no desire to produce yet another grittily realistic" super hero comic (though I guess some issues in the next TPB return more explicitly to animal rights theme).

Actually, Morrison sidesteps a potentially interesting aspect to such actions. Over the course of these issues, Animal Man is accepted into a branch of the Justice League (Morrison having fun exploring the more mundane side of a super hero organization) with the Martian Manhunter even saying he wanted Buddy because of his environmental concerns. But if he's actively working with militant groups, acting outside the law...wouldn't that raise issues for the team? I mean, Buddy being more political than simply sticking to enforcing A-political existing laws as most super heroes do?

Anyway, for a nine issue collection, you find yourself wishing there was a little more Animal Man in Animal Man, that Morrison should've waited till he'd more firmly established Buddy and his friends and family before embarking on his more "off-beat" stories. I had once thought it would be a fairly unusual idea -- in a medium catering to teens and young adults -- to do a series about a super hero who was married with kids (and not just babies or toddlers). Lots of heroes have been teens, dealing with parents, so why not the other what around? As such, I appreciated what Morrison was trying to do, though even here, his Buddy slides a little too readily into the "overgrown kid" mode DC Comics seemed to use as its template for many of its post-Crisis heroes, leaving it to Buddy's wife to play the real parent.

It's ironic that Morrison's decision to imbue Animal Man with a real world political sensibility (animal rights) seems to have impressed some fans considerably less that the metaphysical direction in which Morrison later took the series...in which Buddy eventually learns he's a comic book character! Although such a story idea is not uninteresting, it says something about readers who feel that was somehow more sophisticated, more "important" than tackling a real world issue like animal rights. Uh, deconstructing a comic is more important than talking about real life? Indeed, in the review book, The Slings & Arrows Comic Guide, the reviewer even sindely remarks "which is more radical, and which a case of seen it all before?" And I'd argue, sure, it might be more radical...but that doesn't mean it's as meaningful.

The stories in the second half of this collection smack a bit of a writer looking too hard to be creative, to play around with conventions and avoid the usual pitfalls. Which, in theory, is great, reminding me a bit of what Will Eisner used to do with The Spirit, where the hero was oten peripheral, and the stories quirky and varied in tone. But, of course, The Spirit was telling seven page stories...not 23 page stories, and though I didn't dislike Chas Truog's art (more in a moment) he's not quite the master of the craft the way Eisner was at his best. But as well, there's a feeling form takes precedence over content. I've often remarked that Alan Moore and many of those he inspired tend to be too cerebral, writing comics that are abstract exercises, rather than human dramas, and often seeming too obsessed with the literal comic book form, as opposed to seeing it as simply a medium to tell a story. "The Coyote Gospel", for instance, presents the idea of a world where cartoon characters are real (ala the earlier novel, "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?"), which allows Morrison to indulge in gritty violence as he explores what would it be like for a creature that could be constantly blown up and brutalized, only to heal again. But despite the obvious religious iconism in the title and story (including visuals where a highway intersection forms a cross shape) it left me completely unsure what the point was -- the meaning, the metaphor. While in "The Death of the Red Mask", which essentially seems like a vignette stretched out to 23 pages, Animal Man encounters an aging, forgotten super-villain -- it's supposed to be poignant and bittersweet in its mix of whimsy and melancholy, but again seems like that's what it's supposed to be, more than what it actually is, in the sense that Morrison doesn't really create a character we care about. Then there's the "Invasion" tie-in where Animal Man takes on some alien hawk-soldiers, including a kind of warrior artist whose bomb is also his work of art -- again, an interesting concept even as, again, it kind of leaves you going "huh?" Don't get me wrong, if I had read these when I was fourteen, I'd probably love them, caught up in the aura of sophistication and deep meaning, but not able to step back and actually ask myself if the meaning is truly there. Nor do I mean that as quite the snide remark it might sound. Rather, I sometimes find myself struggling with the question of whether an increasingly middle-aged guy like myself, jaded and grumpy, really has a right to review comics that, after all, see their target audience as being probably half my age. There are comics I loved as a kid and which I regarded as profound, that I re-read as an adult and go, "ho hum" -- but, really, which is the truer reaction? Answer: maybe both.

Anyway...

The art by Chas Truog has been knocked by some, particularly in contrast to Brian Bolland's covers, but I kind of liked it, at least well enough. There's a kind of Bronze Age unsplashiness to it all, as Truog sets out to tell the story, rather than indulging in bizarre musculature exaggerations and extraneous splash pages. For a series that's going for a kind of quirky revisionism and deconstructionism, where a sense of mundanity is meant to intrude upon the four-colour heroics, the art serves quite nicely.

This collection doesn't come to a clean resolution -- though maybe it was intended just to act as a primer on the character, establishing all the key points for people reading his then-on going comic (the TPB first published in 1991). But it seems like it was meant to be the first of a series of TPBs, collecting the series. Yet there was, initially, no follow up...perhaps indicating sales weren't what DC had hoped for. It would be a decade and some later before DC would finally release two follow up TPBs collecting the whole of Morrison's run up to issue #26.

When rating a TPB collection, the question is, do the strengths balance the weaknesses? I certainly didn't dislike the stories from #5-9 -- I enjoyed their quirkiness, their (as I say) Will Eisner-esque experimentation. But none quite worked for me as a satisfying, oh-I-want-to-read-that-again-tonight sort of tale. Yet re-reading the first four issue arc -- I still liked it quite a bit (gritty brutality accepted). I initially gave this TPB 3 stars, but really, I'd give the opening four issue arc 4 stars, and the rest 3, so the average should be, at least, 3 and 1/2 stars. Despite my ambivalence, I always kind of figured I'd eventually pick up the next two TPBs, finishing Morrison's saga...but after re-reading this TPB now (after first reading n' reviewing it maybe a decade ago) I remain...ambivalent. I just haven't been buying as many comics lately (money, and enthusiasm, both on a -- hopefully temporary -- wane) and I'd probably buy the next Animal Man TPBs more out of curiosity, for review purposes (which I've done often enough with other TPBs), or to complete my so-called "collection", rather than out of genuine enthusiasm. I suppose it's partly because, knowing where Morrison is headed (with the Buddy-learns-he's-a-comic-book) it's a plot which doesn't really excite me especially. And, as mentioned, the issue-by-issue stories are of mixed successes, with Buddy a likeable hero...but not quite a gripping one. Though, ironically, I quite enjoyed Gerry Conway's less (stylistically) pretentious but more character focused Last Days of Animal Man series (reviewed below).

Ultimately, this first collection of Morrison's Animal Man run is a decent read, bubbling with interesting if not wholly well formed ideas...but a tad unsatisfying.

More info:
    Written by Grant Morrison.
    Pencils Chas Truog, with Tom Grummett.
    Inks by Doug Hazlewood.
    Colours: Tatjana Wood.
    Letters: John Costanza.
    Editor: Karen Berger.

Aug 5th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Aug 5th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Title: Night of the Living Dead: Death Valley (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mike Wolfer (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: gxx6 (Review 1) and Octo7 (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Review 1 - Night of the Living Dead: Death Valley #1 - Fans have demanded more, so Mike Wolfer returns to the Night of the Living Dead, but this time takes it to California! It’s 1969, and one year and 1,700 miles from the devastating plague that ravaged the Eastern Seaboard of the United States. In the arid expanse of the California desert, a group of young, weekend warriors have left behind the tensions of the times and hope to escape the mundane with three days of hot sun, wild bikinis and boss dune buggies. But the desert is a harsh environment, where the unsuspecting can find danger behind every pristine, white, sand dune. This is Death Valley, where the flesh-hungry living dead wait, baking in the sun, thirsty for the blood of the living. But something else is hiding among the rocks, a secret even more gut-wrenching than the reanimated corpses of the dead which roam the sands! Written by Mike Wolfer this blood-drenched five-issue series features the return of Dheeraj (Escape of the Living Dead) Verma. Don’t miss all the terrifying covers, Michael Dipascale paints the Regular edition, Mike (Gravel) Wolfer horrifies with the Wraparound cover, and twisted Matt Martin splatters the Gore covers all over the page.

Review 2 - Night of the Living Dead: Death Valley #1 - To be perfectly honest, I wasn't too impressed by this. The whole Manson 'piggy' thing is played out and the plot seemed a bit contrived, especially the flashback sequence attempting to canonize it with the film. The artwork seemed rather inconsistent too which was disappointing because I liked the cover so much and have enjoyed Dheeraj Verma's stuff in yuggoth creatures. The guys racing the dune buggies looked like something from early image comics, anatomically implausible. The fact it was only about 22 pages long and ended just as something interesting was finally happening was also disappointing.The characters seem more like a means to an end than anything else, no depth at all, just zombie fodder. I will check out Issue 2 to give it another chance but I don't exactly have high hopes for this one.

More info:
    Writer: Mike Wolfer
    Cover: Mike Wolfer
    Art: Dheeraj Verma

Aug 5th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Aug 6th, 2011, 5:45 am

Title: The Cape (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Joe Hill (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: kitty (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: The Cape #1
    I’ve been looking forward to this series since it was announced shortly after the one-shot. The one-shot was pretty damn good with an extremely intriguing concept. I was wondering how Hill and Ciaramella would take the concept and make it into a limited series. So far it’s off to a good start.

The mini-series picks up where the one-shot left off. Angie is dead and the police are investigating. What follows is how Eric responds to it. This is an extremely screwed up man. The last page of the one-shot revealed his true personality and this issue shows more of that. It’s uncomfortable to read about a man who would rather go and play video games instead of talking to the police about the death of his ex-girlfriend. The police detective said it perfectly, something’s not right.

And how Eric chooses to deal with the police? Ingenious. And just a bit funny. The Cape is a bit warped but an extremely entertaining and well written story. Ciaramella’s script is well paced. The story flows smoothly. There’s alot of depth to the story, higly complimented by Howard’s art.

Story and art work perfectly together in this story. It’s the little bits that make the story so strong, the glances and the facial expressions. The pictures in Eric’s cellphone are well thought out and well laid out, showing a map of his progression from good to bad.

Howard’s art is great. He’s got a very good feel for page layouts. There are no wasted panels or movement. Each panel is as strong as the previous, all working together to make for a great book.

More info:
    Written by: Jason Ciaramella w/ Joe Hill
    Art by: Zach Howard
    Colors: Nelson Daniel
    Letters: Shawn Lee
    Cover Art: A- Zach Howard w/ Nelson Daniel; B- Nelson Daniel
    Editor: Chris Ryall

Aug 6th, 2011, 5:45 am

Aug 6th, 2011, 9:57 am

Title: FreakAngels (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Warren Ellis (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Chad Nevett (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: FreakAngels Vol. 4
    Week in, week out, “FreakAngels” appears online (barring the occasional break or delay) with six new pages on Friday. Written by Warren Ellis and drawn by Paul Duffield, it’s the story of 12 young adults with superpowers living in a post-disaster area of London called Whitechapel. After setting up the encampment and the characters in the first three volumes, “FreakAngels” volume 4 collects weeks 73 through 96, showing us exactly what the group did to cause civilization to collapse and leave them feeling responsible for the well-being of any people they come across.

This volume picks up six years ago with the twelve FreakAngels on the run from the authorities because of their powers. Right away, Paul Duffield shows off his skill by making each member of the group look six years younger, often with different hair styles and looks, while still making each identifiable immediately. Ellis focuses here on Mark, the only FreakAngel we haven’t met yet since he was exiled from the group shortly after these events. We’ve heard about him and it’s almost shocking to see him take the lead in their efforts to escape and send a message to their pursuers. The idea is that a show of force big enough will scare them off and leave the group in peace.

Instead, that show of force punched a hole in the world and screwed up everything, setting up the story as we know it where Whitechapel is under assault from outsiders apparently led by Mark. He’s back, he’s angry at an attempt to have him killed, and he wants Whitechapel. At the same time, a troublesome FreakAngel, Luke is loose with a gun, while KK almost fell to her death when her flying bike was shot down. It’s an ‘everything that can go wrong goes wrong’ sort of story and it’s developed well, showing what everyone is doing, cutting between a few key locations often.

Ellis builds the story here well, introducing Mark as a force within the group before revealing his return in a seeming position of power. With another flashback later to when the group’s fourteenth birthday, Ellis presents a compelling and complicated picture of Mark. Once dedicated to using his power in secret to make the world better, to help people, life has beaten him down until he’s just some thug with delusions of grandeur set on revenge against the only family he’s ever known.

Even with a strong focus on Mark, the rest of the cast all get a lot of moments of development as Jack makes a harsh choice in dealing with Luke, and Arkady nearly dies in her effort to save KK, which only makes her stronger. There are also some great moments of humor. Kaitlin, the group’s self-appointed law enforcement, is hilarious in her ideas of fighting crime. She reads like a parody of Batman at his most grim sometimes.

Duffield’s work on the series continues to grow in this volume as he shows the action with a lot of energy and dynamic poses and angles. He makes sure that the characters are always doing something visually interesting or he’s showing them in a visually interesting manner. The flashback to six years ago at the beginning of the collection is chilling in its creepy grays, especially when the ‘Angels use their powers with that eerie purple glow in their eyes. One of the best sequences in one where they’re running through the woods with energy shields protecting them from gunfire from helicopters. With the trees, the number of characters, the energy shields, and the bullets, the sequence could be a real mess, but Duffield keeps everything quite clear and surprisingly spacious. Pages and panels never feel cramped with characters.

Despite this, Duffield’s art is still stiff in places with characters posed somewhat awkwardly. In his efforts to show characters in motion or even standing naturally, they don’t always look natural or in motion. His clean style is great at clarity and getting across what’s happening, but not always in making it look as natural or smooth as possible. This is an area where he’s grown quite a bit, though, as, even in this volume, characters move with greater ease and don’t look as posed.

After four volumes, “FreakAngels” continues to develop the characters well and introduce new and interesting problems for them to face. Here, it’s the return of an old friend that causes lots of old and new issues in the group to surface, leaving some to leave, some dead, and a final page that still leaves me surprised despite reading it online when it first went up. The fourth volume is the best story to date and is as compelling read in one chunk as it was serialized six pages at a time originally.

More info:
    Story by Warren Ellis
    Art by Paul Duffield
    Colors by Paul Duffield, Kate Brown
    Letters by Paul Duffield
    Cover by Paul Duffield
    Publisher Avatar Press

Aug 6th, 2011, 9:57 am

Aug 6th, 2011, 12:52 pm

Title: Batman – The Dailies 1943-1946 (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Various
Review source: The_Runner (Review 1) and Thunder (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Review 1 - I have been a fan of Batman for more years than I care to admit, so this book intrigued me when I ran across it. The stories trace the genesis of one of the most enduring characters of all time. Granted, this is not the Batman that I grew up with, but the stories were still interesting and contained the adventures of the 1940s. Despite the picture on the cover, none of the classic Batman villians appeared in the dailies. Instead, Batman and Robin bring to justice normal mobsters, shysters, and lawbreakers, but that is what makes Batman great. He doesn't have to save the world from super-powered aliens for his stories to be exciting. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is considered a fan of the Bat.

Review 2 - This volume is of particular historical and artistic significance, since the circulation of newspapers was limited during World War II, hence the collected comics were not readily available to a vast national audience.

The battles with the bad guys have the classic elements of criminals pulled from the front pages of newspapers and the story lines are brilliantly enhanced by some of the finest depictions ever of the characters. The comic strips are bolstered by additional background information on the real times that shaped the comic strips and life of the Gotham Knight.

Much more of a detective than a super hero with super powers, these rare story lines are classic Bat-Man that receive the recognition they truly deserve.

More info:
    Jack Burnley Artist
    Bob Kane Artist
    Stan Kaye Artist
    Charles Paris Artist
    Peter Poplaski Artist
    Richard "Dick" Sprang Artist
    Jack Schiff Editor
    Bill Finger Writer
    Bob Kane Writer
    Jack Schiff Writer
    Alvin Schwartz Writer

Aug 6th, 2011, 12:52 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Aug 6th, 2011, 2:07 pm.