The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Aug 28th, 2011, 7:36 am

Title: Fancy Froglin’s Sexy Forest (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): James Kochalka (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Whitey (Review 1) and indyworld (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Review 1 - If you’ve ever wanted to see James Kochalka naked, buy this book! Seriously, I’m not going to scan the picture because I’m pretty sure it’s only for paying customers, but he’s totally nude, dude. As for this book, maybe I’m just looking for more mature stuff from James after his incredible work with his sketchbook diaries, but this whole thing is as childish and silly as it could be. You know, maybe you should try getting drunk before reading. I think that would help the humor a bunch. People who have bothered to read the rest of this page know that I’m a huge James Kochalka fan, so I’m not going to say that I hated this book. I’m simply going to to say that I didn’t like it as much as his other stuff. OK? If you’re looking for a story synopsis, I’ll do the best I can. Fancy Froglin wanders around a lot, either with a boner or trying to get his boner back, while talking to Some Bunny, Uncle Funky and Butterfly Guy. It’s $12.95, which is a pretty hefty price for a book that’s so quickly read, but you know what you’re doing when you buy a Kochalka book by now. It’s worth getting just to see the incredible coloring job that was done to this, but as far as content goes, I think he’s done better work. Contact info is scattered all over this page, you know what to do.

Review 2 - Tom Devlin (Highwater Books) provides the graphic design for one of the finest new graphic novels this year. Fancy Froglin is an ineffably cute happy little frog that loves getting boners. He's highly sexual yet purely innocent. And he loves bunnies. Most important, he's really f-ing funny. A portion of the proceeds for each copy advance ordered will be donated to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.

WARNING:
    Fancy Froglin's Sexy Forest contains scenes of frank and explicit nature including but not limited to: nudity, suggestive themes, mature sexual themes, strong sexual content, homosexuality, beastiality, offense to God, attempted suicide, comic mischief, mild violence, violence, graphic violence, mild language, strong language, hate speech, informational and edutainment. It is intended for mature readers.

More info:
    Writing and art by James Kochalka

Aug 28th, 2011, 7:36 am

Post rewarded by Ojay on Oct 10th, 2011, 6:16 am.
Nice reviewed! 5 WRZ$ reward. Thanks Zach!
Aug 28th, 2011, 9:02 am

Title: Grendel – God and the Devil (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): John Wagner (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: THE LEGION fan (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    In the centuries since the mask of Grendel was last seen, humanity's survived a third World War, the fall of Western Civilization, and the rise of an all-powerful church state. But when the depraved Pope Innocent XLII begins construction of a new church tower hiding a powerful and deadly secret, two men will rise against the church's corruption. One is Orion Assante, a man determined to expose the Pope for who he really is. The other is a mysterious figure wearing the all-too-familiar face of Grendel! Grendel: God and the Devil masterfully interweaves sanity with madness, churches with corporations, and good with evil in one of the most stunning and prophetic stories of modern comics. One of Wagner's riskiest and most compelling works, this massive volume will thrill every Grendel fan, and dazzle anyone searching for a great story told in a whole new way.

Our Take: We recently reviewed the Grendel arc that comes after 'God and the Devil', which is Grendel: Devil's Reign. Now, we're going to go backwards in time and show you how Orion Assante gained his power over the world and how Grendel got the last laugh! This tale is a decent into madness, deptravity, greed, corruption and heresy. What more could you want from a comic book?

'Grendel: God and the Devil' collects the Dark Horse Grendel issues #0-10 of God and the Devil, which were re-colored and re-covered editions of the classic Comico Grendel #22-33. This story recounts how Pope Innocent XLII moves to take over the world and employ his 'sun gun'. Meanwhile, the newest Grendel is Eppy Thatcher and he is on a one-man guerilla mission to take down the church. Eppy is unstable at best and in a constant state of dillusion. Thankfully, Orion Assante has his head on straight and is investigating the church's activities. Unfortunately, Orion underestimates Innocent and it ends up costing his twin sisters/lovers their lives. In the midst of this epic the church will fall and the devil will rise!

This collected edition is presented in a softcover graphic novel format. The front features the dynamic cover art for Grendel: God and the Devil #10, and the back cover features more of the cover art from the re-print series. The book retails for around $30. It does not include any extras or sketch pages, but its a collection of one of the best adult comic book series of all time. This one is what Grendel is all about. It, coupled with 'Devil's Reign', is a magnum opus for Wagner that still shines brightly today.

One thing that I have to note...the art of John K. Snyder III really stands out here. He has always been innovative, but without his unique style this arc wouldn't have been the same. Its also so enjoyable to see how much he's grown as an artist with the quality of his newer covers that he did for the Dark Horse re-prints of this classic Comico series!

The cool thing about Grendel is that you don't have to start at the beginning. I myself began with 'War Child' and backtracked. We cannot recommend this series enough to any adult comic book fan. I do want to stress that Grendel is NOT a children's comic. It should be viewed by adults only. Watch for more Grendel reviews here on the Legion.

More info:
    Creators: Matt Wagner
    Writer: John Wagner
    Artist: John K. Snyder, John K
    Genre: Action/Adventure

Aug 28th, 2011, 9:02 am

Aug 28th, 2011, 10:50 am

Title: New Fantastic Four 2011 - Future Foundation (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jonathan Hickman (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Evan Wallace (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Future Foundation #8
    Finally, some Fantastic Four in my Future Foundation! This issue continues the action that was transpiring, if one can even remember at this point, prior to the Black Bolt detour. Immediately, we are taken right into battle. The Inhumans are attacking the High Evolutionary’s forces and throughout this issue, we are finally treated to the FF’s involvement.

Though the main members are present in length, except for Thing, surprisingly, as he loves a good fight, this book is all about Doctor Doom. He has the best lines, he has the best action scenes, and although he is but a part of the circle of villains, he is the show stealer in this issue. He even has the audacity to invite Reed Richards to the Future Foundation, though he is staying in Reed’s home and brought together by his daughter! (who we see in timeout – that scene is not as boring as it sounds)

The artwork is amazing. That’s all I can say about that. The cover is amazing too, done by Acuna, the same artist who drew the cover for FF#3. After the debacle that was FF#6 and #7, I am so glad to have actual artwork back. Though I did like the previous renditions of Black Bolt, they are crayon drawings compared to the new artwork. There is a lot of action in these pages and, though at times I can find full page or half page artwork to be confusing, there is a clear flow and direction to the story. On one page, a stretching Reed Richards takes places above and between panels, showing the real skill of the artist to keep a direction while adding his own touch.

I loved this issue, more so than any of the previous in this series. I had to reread issue 4 and 5 to remember exactly what was going on, but this issue really delivers. We see all the villains and our heroes working together and taking the fight to the Reeds from other universes. Doctor Doom lifts the earth underneath one, and proceeds to backhand the Reed midsentence. I know I have said it before, and maybe it is because he is one of my favorite characters, but if you love Doom as much as I do, please pick up this issue. I have not laughed at his entitlement so much than in this issue.

The last page is an image with fire, with Diablo stating that “soon the whole world will burn”. We see that maybe their cooperation is just a reason to gain the upper hand on the FF; we are reminded that they are saving the world only to take it over by their own means. Either way, this cliffhanger will definitely tie me over until next issue. I cannot wait to see what happens next!

More info:
    Writer: Jonathan Hickman
    Artist: Steve Epting
    colorer: Paul Mounts
    Dan Buckley journalist
    Published by Marvel Comics. 2011.

Aug 28th, 2011, 10:50 am

Aug 29th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Title: Adam Strange: The Man of Two World (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Richard Bruning (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: The Masked Bookwyrm (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    In the 1950s and 1960s, Adam Strange appeared in DC Comics' science fiction comic, Mystery in Space. A throwback to pulp and comic strip heroes such as Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, Adam was an earthman transported to the planet Rann -- a world of scientific marvels...and plenty of menaces such as monsters, giant robots, and would be conquerers that he tackled with his wits, a rocket pack, a spiffy red spaceman's suit, and his beautiful Rannian wife, Alannah, at his side.

But Adam's popularity waned and he was reduced to an occasional guest star status in other comics (appearances few and far between since he did, after all, have his adventures on a distant planet).

In 1990, with DC in the midst of its, at times, indiscriminate re-writing and re-working of its characters, came this attempt to re-ignite the character.

Adam, whose visits to Rann are only temporary (he gets zapped by a Rannian sent Zeta Beam which transports him to Rann, but only until the energy wears off, then he reappears back on earth) is told that a new beam will whisk him to Rann, permanently. He returns to earth one last time, to set his things in order, and to visit his ailing father in hospital. Meanwhile, trouble is brewing on Rann. Seems the planet isn't quite the idyllic world it appears. There's social strife, people bitter at the undemocratic ruling council that is comprised of clones of, and answerable to, Sardath (Alannah's seeming nice guy father). Trouble ensues, things blow up, Adam spends time as a fugitive and, by the end, a considerable amount of the basic premise of the series is altered.

There are two ways to write a story -- character-driven (where plot and actions are secondary to the personalities) and story-driven (where the action-adventure of the plot is paramount). Here writer Richard Bruning seems to be trying a third style: attitude-driven. This was during the dark n' gritty phase comics went through in the late '80s/early '90s (a phase that has become increasingly mocked...even by its chief practitioners). Indeed, this three part, prestige format, slightly mature readers mini-series followed on the heels of Mike Grell's commercially successful three part, prestige format, mature readers mini-series Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, which was a gritty re-invention of Green Arrow wherein, like Adam, even his costume was changed. Bruning seems to have gone into this, less with a vision of character, or of plot, and more with a vision of making his mark by kicking the franchise in the teeth and seeing what got spat out.

For example, Adam goes temporarily insane in one scene, a plot device leading to his becoming a fugitive. But why does his madness manifest in violence? How does it stem logically from the character and the situation? If he's going to go temporarily crazy, why doesn't he, I don't know, don a dress and think he's Eleanor Roosevelt? The answer, I guess, is just that that wouldn't be gritty n' edgy. And that seems to be so much at the heart of the changes Bruning envisions...that they stem not from a logical extrapolation of the characters and the established reality, but from a desire to prove how gritty the book can be.

The underlining concept (at least, what may be an underlining concept) is that Adam doesn't really know his adopted world half as well as he thinks he does -- and it could be interesting. But too much of it seems to come out of nowhere (not that I'm enough of an expert on Adam Strange that I can say that with impunity). Adam was the so-called Champion of Rann...yet in Bruning's version, no one except Alannah and Sardath seems to even like the guy, let alone regard him as their champion. Much of their animosity stems for old fashioned bigotry (Adam being an alien). But, come on, don't you think Adam would've had some inkling of that if true? For that matter, wouldn't you realistically expect public opinion to be, at least, divided, with Adam still having some supporters?

Bruning seems to follow the lead established by Alan Moore in the seminal revisionist super hero saga, The Watchmen, of regarding old fashioned heroes with a kind of contempt. Here, Adam is portrayed as kind of pathetic, whose Rannian adventures are simply an adolescent fantasy made flesh, where Adam, as everything falls apart, childishly rants "this is the place where I'm the hero and everyone respects me" while on earth he shucks his responsibilities to his ailing father and his sister and cheats on Alannah. Adam barely seems like the protagonist, let alone the hero (in the middle book, he only appears on about 13 of 46 pages!) -- he's ineffectual, not accomplishing anything. If Adam had been removed from the story entirely after the first book, things probably would've transpired exactly the same way! Instead, much of the story concerns various Rannian characters and an earth lady doctor who, inadvertently, follows Adam to Rann. All that might be forgiven if Bruning had woven a complex saga of twists and turns and machinations, peopled by subtly shaded supporting characters. And, to be fair, he's trying. He just doesn't succeed all that well.

Again, it's because it seems as though the attitude is driving the story and characters, rather than the other way around.

And because Bruning focuses on brooding character introspection (not that I felt he realized his characters especially well) and political machinations, it means that the book doesn't even function on the basic level of the original series...as an adventure.

The art is by Andy Kubert, an artist with a style reminiscent of his dad, Joe Kubert. At first blush, it's a good choice, because Joe Kubert's scratchy, brooding art is associated with 1960s DC characters like Hawkman...but Adam Strange was the purview of Carmine Infantino, who lent a brighter, more clean- cut look to the series. Andy Kubert's art is brooding and atmospheric, but maybe Bruning's re-invention of the series would've resonated better if contrasted with bright art and clean lines. Still, the art is certainly decent enough.

Ultimately, The Man of Two Worlds seems too much like someone decided to shake up the character...precisely because no one at DC cared about him (making the dedication at the end seeming a touch insincere). And all they succeeded in doing is stripping the character and the comic of the things that made him interesting (if only as a nostalgic icon) and replacing it with, well, very little. And the experiment was, one assumes, pretty much a failure, as there was no follow up monthly series, and Strange's occasional appearances since this mini-series have generally ignored it (often being retroactive appearances, set before this mini-series). Nor does it entirely succeed as just a stand alone, sci-fi saga since, as noted, the heroes accomplish very little. It feels too much like the main point is simply to set it up for a new series...a series that, then, never materialized.

The most curious question is why DC Comics decided to collect it as a TPB now...some 13 years after it first saw print? (Though I think it might be because DC was starting up a new Adam Strange monthly comic).

More info:
    Written by Richard Bruning
    Illustrated by Andy Kubert.
    Colour: Adam Kubert.
    Letters: Todd Klein.
    Editor: Mike Carlin.

Aug 29th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Aug 30th, 2011, 7:22 am

Title: Delirium’s Party – A Little Endless Storybook (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jill Thompson (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: GraphicNovelReporter (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Unlike Jill Thompson's first exploration into the world of the Little Endless, Delirium's Party is geared more for mature audiences, particularly those who have experienced the first installment and are familiar with the characters. In some ways, Thompson borrows a page from J.K. Rowling here in the structure and content of her sequel because, like her young readers, the story has also grown. While still whimsical, fantastic, introspective, and silly, the tone of the book veers more towards the darker side of children's literature. As such, uninitiated children would probably be perplexed or confused by the story itself. Teens who read or were read The Little Endless as kids, along with adults will enjoy Delirium's Party as a solid follow up in what many hope is an ongoing project for Thompson.

Where The Little Endless follows the misadventures of Barnabas to locate the missing Delirium among each of her six siblings, Delirium's Party finds the lead character discovering that she has never seen her sister Despair ever smile. Immediately, audiences should recognize a key difference in content between the two stories as the once nameless character of Death is fully identified. Although she plays a minor role in the evolving tale, she is nevertheless called upon and described as both "beautiful and calm." Actually, Thompson plays with the Endless' roles through Delirium's interactions and early conversations with them--Destiny who "knew nearly everything" and Desire "who always seem to cut the call short before the Princess could get all the information" stand out the most. In fact, while The Little Endless delights in the simple humor of Barnabas' quest and Delirium's own wildness, Delirium's Party finds comedy in the missteps of the Endless as they attempt to cheer up their sibling.

This comedy is classic in nature and design, anchored in part in a morality play format where the lesson learned by the reader is more important the main character achieving her goal. As before, Thompson's art excels here as the driving force behind the story. Although the pages appear far more digitally rendered than her previous work, the effect seems indicative of the printing and reproduction method themselves rather than a shift in Thompson's own workflow and process. The pages still possess that magical, somewhat slightly innocent and simultaneous psychedelic quality that charmed audiences in the first book in their multicolored environments and bizarre stylings that adorn Delirium throughout the narrative. Yet, it is the interplay between the Endless as they attempt to organize and carry out the surprise party for Despair where the bulk of Thompson's humor occurs.

From the "Princess and the Pea" gag in Delirium's bedroom through the caustic sarcasm of Barnabas, Thompson is at her narrative best. Despite Delirium's surprise party, Dream's continued attempts at explanation, and Delirium's homemade cake, nothing can make Despair smile. A parade of presents, the most sought after gifts in the world, do little to alter Despair's melancholia. Granted a future full of wealth and free of any troubles from Destiny, everlasting good imaginings without any nightmares from Dream, a heart locket promising to make her the sole object of inspiration and longing from Desire, control over a universe all her own from Destruction, and lastly, a peaceful calm eternity from Death, Despair has the same unemotional responses to each gift. How does one bring joy to a being whose sole defining characteristic is Despair? Without giving further spoilers, Thompson delivers a succinct, appropriate, and very fulfilling conclusion to the tale.

Read as either a sequel to the first or a standalone title of its own, Delirium's Party is a wonderful addition to Thompson's already impressive catalog.

More info:
    Written and drawn by Jill Thompson

Aug 30th, 2011, 7:22 am

Aug 30th, 2011, 10:04 am

Title: The Silent Invasion (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Larry Hancock and Michael Cherkas (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Daniel J. Mooney (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    The Silent Invasion is one of those rare books that was truly ahead of its time, in several ways. Coming out in 1986, it was a black-and-white comic, well before black and white comics were fashionable. It dealt with a secret government conspiracy, involving aliens, well before the X-Files popularized the idea, and then drove it into the ground. The Silent Invasion was a victim of its own originality, and never got the recognition that it deserved.

This book collects the first 6 issues of the comic. It revolves around the character of Matt Sinkage, a newspaper reporter that had a close encounter, but was then locked in an insane asylum. Enter into the mix FBI Agent Phil Houser, and a group called the Council, who are interested in hushing up the UFOs, and feel that there is a connection between them and Communism. Matt has to balance his obsession, with an on-again off-again fiancée and, a family that is too worried about what the neighbors will think.

The story grabs your interest right away, with hints and brief glimpses on what's happening behind the scenes. A certain amount of the plot is up to guesswork or just mysterious. There is no "Ah ha, let me tell you all about my diabolical deeds, Mr. Bond" moment. That's not to say that the plot is incomprehensible, it certainly isn't, but there is always a sense of mystery about the events. The addition of the occasional Canadian spelling should do nothing to hamper a person's concentration (as other reviewers have claimed). Reading "honour" instead of "honor" really should not be a problem for anyone with a 5th grade reading capability. Nor should it be distracting, unless you're just looking for petty excuses to attack a book.

The tone of the book shows the 50's in a true light. It carefully balances cold war paranoia, with 1950's optimism. This is achieved as it mixes UFO conspiracy, with the ordinary lives of normal people. It often gives us snatches of conversations of characters in the background that add a real sense of time and place. The art matches this perfectly. It is highly stylized (another rarity for 80's comics), but gives you an excellent feel for the times, and enhances the mystery and paranoia of the plot. Each character, though stylized, is individually drawn enough for the average reader to be able to distinguish at a glance.

The story continues on in Tarnished Dreams, and is wrapped up in The Great Fear.

More info:
    Written by Michael Cherkas and Larry Hancock

Aug 30th, 2011, 10:04 am

Aug 30th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Title: Total Recall (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Vince Moore (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Chad Nevett (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Total Recall #1
    Philip K. Dick’s work is hot right now with numerous film and comics adaptations. With a remake of “Total Recall,” the adaptation of Dick’s short story “We Can Remember it for You Wholesale,” in the works, a comic book sequel to the film is a natural idea. After “Blade Runner,” “Total Recall” is in a tight race with “The Minority Report” for the most well-known Dick-adapted movie and lends itself to a continuation as this issue shows. The first issue picks up where the film ended and is logical in how it proceeds, working on a conceptual level, but falling down on execution.

The film may have ended on a happy point with Mars gaining a breathable atmosphere, freedom from Cohaagen’s rule, and Doug Quaid/Hauser getting the girl, but the comic takes those positives and immediately turns them on their head. Mars is still a battleground with the rebels fighting a chaotic government and the planet still seen as a support base for the Northern Block on Earth. It’s also clear what the direction of this book is. Vince Moore wisely jumps right into the action and keeps the book moving forward at a brisk pace.

That is, unless you count the narration and dialogue. Moore overdoes the narration, partly to provide the necessary exposition, and it slows the book down. He begins the issue by using news broadcasts to provide some exposition, and the first-person narration seems unnecessary much of the time. As well, his dialogue skills leave a lot to be desires, delivering very utilitarian dialogue that lacks any flavor or sense of naturalism.

Cezar Razek’s art has the same utilitarian feel. It gets the job done, but doesn’t add a lot of stylistic flare. He draws the characters so they resemble the actors from the films without doing exact likenesses, something that should make his art looser since he doesn’t need to use stills to get the looks right. His characters are stiff and unexpressive, and his depiction of the Mars environment is so generic and bland that it’s hard to remember that this is meant to be Mars. The coloring leaves a lot to be desired in its use of faded colors that works in backgrounds, but often overtakes entire panels.

From a plot and conceptual standpoint, “Total Recall” #1 is in a good place. It picks up where the film left off very naturally and creates new stories that flow from there. The actual dialoguing and art, though, are so workmanlike and to the point that the comic isn’t entertaining, it’s functional.

More info:
    Story by Vince Moore
    Art by Cezar Razek
    Colors by Salvatore Aiala
    Letters by Bill Tortolini
    Cover by Darick Robertson, Cezar Razek

Publisher:

Aug 30th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Aug 30th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Title: Charmed (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Paul Ruditis (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Adam S Reisinger (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Charmed #1
    Back in March, when the "Charmed" comic was announced, I wrote a post titled "'Charmed' Comic? Count me... out?". Well, not to go all "Godfather III" on you, but just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Actually, to be entirely honest, Zenescope pulled me back last month with the "Charmed #0" preview issue that recapped the series and set up the characters for this comic. The preview didn't contain any surprises, but I figured it wouldn't be fair to write off this book, based on what had been one of my favorite TV series, without giving it a shot first.

The first issue of the series isn't bad. First of all, there's no Billie, so that eliminates the largest problem with Season 8. Secondly, it's set a reasonable amount of time after the series finale, so there have been some changes to the characters (Phoebe and Coop now have a child, and Piper and Leo are on kid #3). The time jump works well particularly with Phoebe and Coop, who weren't really a couple until the series finale. I'd much rather just see them together than have to suffer through any dating hijinks (I got enough of those stories in the last three seasons of the show). Overall, the first issue establishes the day-to-day difficulties The Charmed Ones have dealing with family/work life, while also introducing a pair of demons who seem to be hell bent on re-establishing the underworld (pun fully intended).

I never got the sense that the two demonic villains introduced were anything more than low-level demons with serious ambition, and I don't see exactly how they're going to pose a challenge to The Charmed Ones, unless Piper, Phoebe and Paige are woefully out of practice, but that could easily change in future issues. It's not like they've laid out all the cards regarding these demons, so I'll give writer Paul Ruditis the benefit of the doubt here.

As for the artwork, Dave Hoover's style isn't normally what I'd pick up, but it's not bad. He does a great job capturing Alyssa Milano (Phoebe) and Holly Marie Combs (Piper), but at no point did I get a Rose McGowan vibe from his Paige. Also, maybe it's just married life, but Phoebe is wearing way more clothing than I think we ever saw her wear on the show.

Overall, this was actually a solid first effort for the "Charmed" comic, and wasn't as disappointing as I'd feared. I'm still a little worried about what's going to happen when The Charmed Ones actually face off with a demon (rather than the magic of their out-of-control kids), but for now the series is worth the $3.50 a month for "Charmed" fans.

More info:
    Release Date: July 2010
    Author: Paul Ruditis
    Artists: Dave Hoover and David Seidman
    Publisher: Zenescope Entertainment

Aug 30th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Aug 30th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Title: Buffy The Vampire Slayer – Magical Mystery Tour (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jane Espenson (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: R. B. LeMoyne (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    This is a weird comic.

Now that I have that out of the way, let’s start from the beginning. Magical Mystery Tour Featuring the Beetles is a 10-page digital mini-comic written by Jane Espenson, penciled by Georges Jeanty and produced exclusively for the Digital Retailer Exclusive promotion for Dark Horse Comics. It’s labeled as part of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9, even though it feels somewhat like an epilogue to events from Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8. Or maybe it’s an epilogue to Spike’s series. Or maybe it’s really a prologue to BtVS Season 9. My confusion will be evident in a moment.

If you’re a hardcore fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Image and Angel, you’ve likely been keeping tabs on their continuing in-continuity adventures as presented by Dark Horse and IDW Publishing, respectively. And if you’re a Spike Image fan (Seriously, who isn’t?) you were probably thrilled as could be about the bad boy vampire with a soul getting his own series, and his appearance toward the end of Buffy’s series. That means you probably already know about the first appearance of the bug aliens and their interdimensional spaceship, and Spike’s connection to them. If not, I’ll wait for you to get caught up.

Ready? No? OK, I’ll give you another moment or two.

…Okay, ready now? Excellent! Let’s proceed.

Magical Mystery Tour Featuring the Beetles is a tale of Spike and his alien bug followers as a one-shot story. Actually, a one-shot short story. In it, Spike and his alien entourage bond over the course of a two month space journey in various ways, mostly illustrated through a montage, before parting ways just in time for Spike to get wrapped up in whatever BtVS Season 9 brings his way.

What? Like I said, it’s a short story.

Spike as chaperoneNow, let’s get back to my opening sentence. This is a weird comic. Jeanty and Espenson do it justice, as they do every story they touch, but my feeling is that this should have been a miniseries, not half a comic’s worth of story. Honestly, how do you do two month’s worth of story in 10 pages? (And let’s be fair, after the cover and credit page, you really only have 8 pages worth of story.) Well, if you’re trying to bring a franchise from one publisher to another and establish a new status quo without dwelling too much on the past, you do the best you can as quickly and decisively as possible. What results is a strange but entertaining mini-comic that feels like an epilogue not just for Spike and the alien bugs, but also for his old IDW series, quickly shutting the door (or perhaps leaving it open a crack) on that storyline so he can continue on as a recurring character in Dark Horse’s comics.

The short of it is this: Magical Mystery Tour Featuring the Beetles doesn’t answer any lingering questions from Spike’s series, so if you’re looking for an explanation of what happened between Spike #8 and BtVS Season 8 #35, you’re going to be very disappointed. If, however, you’re looking for a story that bridges the extraordinary world of his IDW series with the world of Buffy’s Dark Horse story, you’ll be fairly pleased.

More info:
    written by Jane Espenson
    penciled by Georges Jeanty

Aug 30th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Oct 10th, 2011, 6:15 am.
Aug 30th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Title: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Riley (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jane Espenson (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Jill Pantozzi (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Joss Whedon pulled a giant plot twist in his recent “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” arc, “Retreat,” regarding Buffy’s former flame Riley Finn. Fans could have been satisfied with the explanation given in those issues, but instead we get to see much more — with Riley’s version of events.

In stores today (August 18) from Dark Horse Comics is “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Riley,” a brand new story from television writer/producer Jane Espenson and artist Karl Moline. Espenson gets the chance to tell what really led to former Initiative member Riley Finn becoming a double agent for Buffy.

The one-shot is the second we’ve seen during “Season 8” (the first being Willow’s spotlight), and is actually titled “Commitment Through Distance, Virtue Through Sin.” It's intense, but have we come to expect anything less from Buffy’s love life?

THE GOOD: Riley, of course. He was never my favorite of Buffy’s boyfriends, but it always makes for good drama when someone like him returns to a story. Speaking of which, we also have a humongous blast from the past in this issue that I don’t want to spoil, and that I wasn’t expecting at all. I also wasn’t expecting Twilight (a.k.a. the recently revealed Angel) to play such a large role in the issue either, but he’s an integral part of the story which all comes together slowly but surely.

Even though this one-shot is Riley’s, it’s still all about Buffy in one way or another. (Wasn’t it always?) Espenson shows us Buffy through the eyes of two men who love her deeply and would do anything for her. It just so happens that’s what she’s asking Riley to do here. He’s in a voluntary retirement from all things life-threatening, taking over half of his family’s corn farm in Iowa when Buffy calls, asking him to infiltrate Twilight’s camp. As we now know, Angel’s time as Twilight was all for the sake of Buffy, but his journey there was not as cut and dry as you’d expect — and in fact, it’s kind of awesome.

THE BAD: Riley’s wife, Sam. She annoyed me back then, and she annoys me still. I guess that’s her reason for existence though, isn’t it? Espenson’s story overall appealed to me but her scenes with Riley and Sam in the first half of the issue felt like they were wasting valuable time saying the same thing over and over. For my love of Riley's parts of the story, I feel a little cheated that Angel played such a large role. This was a Riley one-shot, after all.

As I mentioned earlier, “Fray” and sometimes-alternate “Buffy” cover illustrator Karl Moline takes on artist duty for the issue. Some of the pages worked well but a lot of them didn’t seem up to his usual standard. It also seemed odd that there were a great many wide shots or characters being viewed from the back or the side, which meant their detail was totally lost. I want to see the characters' faces, their emotions — not a cornfield.

FINAL WORD: Despite its flaws, “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Riley” is still a must-have for die-hard fans. Even though I had a PDF to review, I’m still going to my local comic shop to buy it today. A former “Buffy” episode writer, Espenson is no stranger to this world and knows it’s characters very well. She knows what Buffy means to the world and the power she holds over her men. That being said, this one-shot is not mandatory reading for “Season 8.”

More info:
    Writer: Jane Espenson
    Penciller: Karl Moline
    Inker: Andy Owens
    Colorist: Michelle Madsen
    Cover Artist: Jo Chen
    Genre: Horror, Action/Adventure

Aug 30th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Aug 31st, 2011, 8:51 am

Title: The Batcave Companion (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Michael Eury and Michael Kronenberg(Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: tomztoyz (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    There's a brand-new Batman book out there right now that you might have heard about. It's called THE BATCAVE COMPANION & it was recently published by TwoMorrows Publishing. The basic premise is that it covers Batman's real-life comic book history from, let's say, 1964 through 1979. In the early 1960's both Batman comic book titles, Batman & Detective Comics, had sales figures that were so bad that they were seriously on the verge of cancellation. That's pretty scary to think about, right? That's when DC Comics ( then called National Periodical Publications ) brought in a new editor to help revamp the books...sort of give them a new life. This era in Batman's history is known as "The New Look" period. What they did was they brought in Julius Schwartz, the "Fix It Man"! They also brought in a popular comic book artist at the time, Carmine Infantino. He had just done wonders with the Flash comic book & they thought he would be a good match for Batman.

What they basically told both of them was, "You have 6 months to breathe new life into this character or we're gonna have to cut both titles". OUCH! Yes, this really happened which, as a Batman Fan, is totally scary to think about! Now, to get back to the book. It's sort of broken down into 2 parts ( but both parts are seamless & flow really well together ). The first part, covering the "New Look" period of the 60's, is written by Michael Eury. The 2nd half of the book, covering the 1970's "Creature of the Night" period, is written by Michael Kronenberg. Both authors do an extremely excellent job covering Batman's rich history in very fine detail. In fact, I gotta say, that I'm a very serious "book reader" ( & quite prolific ) but dang this book took me like forever to read, ha ha! But, it's very well written & doesn't rehash a lot of details for filler. Well, I gotta say that the whole reading experience was completely wonderful.

Plus, all through out this book, there are a ton of awesome graphics, photos, & illustrations that are a total joy to see ( ...the book's cover art was done by Neal Adams, enough said, ha ha! ). There's a lot of classic vintage artwork & very neat "behind the scene" photos. As both a serious Batman Fan & Collector ( for a very long time ) I sort of consider myself an expert & I was sort of shocked by all the amazing new details to Batman's history that I didn't even know about. This book really explains a lot in 240 pages, ha ha! OK, to get back to the basic story, both Schwartz & Infantino must have done a great job on the Batman titles ( they did ) because the sales figures were climbing.

Then something totally unexpected happened...the 1966 Batman TV Show came out & it seemed like the whole world went totally bat-crazy! As you can imagine this affected the sales figures greatly. Plus, there was a ton of merchandising for the character that really shot him into total stardom. This book covers both the creation of this new TV Show, & what was happening in the comic book at the time of the show, in great detail. But, after the show was canceled a few years later sales for the book started to fall a little bit. That's when the "2nd half" of the book kicks in again & talks about how Dennis O'Neil & Neal Adams were brought in to revamp the character all over again.

One of the great things about this book, worth mentioning, is that every now & then they sort of pause the story to present actual modern day interviews with many of the editors, writers, & artists. My 4 top favorites were the ones with Carmine Infantino, Joe Giella, Sheldon Moldoff, & Neal Adams. But all the others are really great too & they talk in length with Dennis O'Neil, Mike W. Barr, Will Murray, Len Wein, Steve Englehart, & Terry Austin. OK, back to the story, ha ha. The 1970's brought in a whole new outlook for the Batman character. They sort of wanted to get away from the whole silly-campiness of the 60's TV series & remade Batman into "The Dark Knight Detective" again. I gotta say that if you're a fan of ANY of these artists I have mentioned they are all very well presented with wonderful illustrations, many never seen before.

Overall, I gotta say that I can highly recommend this new book to any serious Batman Fan. If you grew up ( like I did ) with this period of Batman's history then it's gonna bring back a lot of fond memories. If you're a younger fan, who is not quite familiar with this time period, then you're gonna get quite educated & it's gonna give you a fresh new perspective on the character. So, get out there & please purchase a copy today. You'll be glad you did.

More info:
    Written by by Michael Eury and Michael Kronenberg
    Introduction by Denneis O'Neil

Aug 31st, 2011, 8:51 am

Post rewarded by Ojay on Oct 10th, 2011, 6:13 am.
Aug 31st, 2011, 8:57 am

Title: Rombies (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Tom Taylor (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Dan Roye (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Rombies #0
    “Rome wasn’t built in a day… but it may crumble in one. Titans battle in the arena. A thumb turns down. A sword comes down. A dead man… stands up? Racing through dark, narrow tunnels beneath the Colosseum, two heroes and a child join together to escape their pursuers. Pursuers who were once men. Hungry men. Undead men. Rombies. Friends, Romans, Countrymen… Lend me your brains!“

Artwork: 4.0 out of 5
    Have you ever picked up a book where you knew the tone of the story just from the art? Well that is what you have here. A beautifully done issue, that the art really depicts what is going on in the story. Gore-geous looking zombies and nice crisp panels page after page. The gray tones are working perfectly page after page. Nice character designs that work on every level to convey the time period. This is just an overall great looking issue.

Story: 4.0 out of 5
    So my question here is what do you get when you mix Gladiator with Return of the Living Dead? Why Rombies of course. The story is exactly what I expected it to be. That being said I did not go into it with high hopes. I just didn’t know before reading how you could mix the two and have an interesting book. I was wrong. I found a great deal of enjoyment watching these characters try to find their way out of the arena. The dialogue was nice, and the story really progressed to a nice cliffhanger moment at the end.

Dying Breath: 4.0 out of 5
    Did I get what I expected out of this book? No, I got a hell of a lot more. I loved the animated style artwork, and hey how can you not love a zombie lion? The story was done right. It didn’t go where I thought it would, which is a good thing. It’s not a B-movie story that is told here. It is a action pack death fest. I will say this, if Romero directed Gladiator this is what it would have looked like. Check this one out, it is highly enjoyable and I think a must read for zombie fans.

More info:
    Writer: Tom Taylor
    Artist: Skye Ogden
    Colours by Mikiko Ponczek
    Publisher: Gestalt Comics
    Release Date: August 2010
    Pages: 24

Aug 31st, 2011, 8:57 am

Aug 31st, 2011, 10:20 pm

Title: X-O Manowar Retribution (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Bob Layton (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: SRFireside (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    If you are a comic book fan in the vein of armored heroes like Iron Man then this book is a must for you. Actually if you are into sci-fi comics at all this is a winner. Back in the early 90's Valiant Comics came along and for a short while turned the comic book industry on its ear. They gave solid storytelling, consistently good art, and a universe that was very cohesive. X-O Manowar was one of their earliest titles, and I dare say one of their best.

This book chronicles the first four issues of X-O Manowar. The story evolves around a barbarian from the final years of the Roman Empire who was captures by predatory aliens and forced into slave labor for them. The book starts off as Aric, the barbarian, is escaping from his prison and finds a suit of organic high-tech armor. Once he dons the armor he becomes and almost unstoppable foe against these aliens who have preyed on mankind for centuries. There is more to it than that like how he shows up in modern day Earth, but you'll have to read the book for more.

The art is clean and solid. Nothing fancy, but at the same time nothing hard on the eyes either. Some might say the art is too tame and lacks flash, but I'll take a good story to dynamic art any day (Image Comics killed a lot of careers that way). The story is well thought out. It's as entertaining to see an ancient warrior try to figure out the modern world as it is seeing the same dude armored up trashing aliens.

Valiant Comics is dead. Jim Shooter first started it and started this comic book (interestingly enough he also was one of the better writers for Iron Man before he left to make his own fortune). Valiant was bought by Acclaim who then eventually revamped the characters. While the newer X-O Manowar is also excellent this version I guarantee is something you never seen before. Find this book. Buy this book. You won't be sorry.

More info:
    Written by Bob Layton
    Artist: Barru Windsor-Smith

Aug 31st, 2011, 10:20 pm

Aug 31st, 2011, 10:25 pm

Title: Batman: Family (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): John Francis Moore (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Tony Whitt (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: BATMAN FAMILY #1 ( of 8 )
    Don't be fooled by the title of this miniseries: this is not your father's BATMAN FAMILY, or your older brother's (or older sister's, either). The '70s series of that name was camp, fun, and stand-alone, the only thing linking the stories together being the lead characters' ties with Batman. In those days, of course, inclusion in the Bat-Family meant having the word "bat" somewhere in your name - unless you were Robin, naturally. On the whole, the series was like a Chinese meal: enjoyable while you're eating it but totally forgotten an hour later.

BATMAN: FAMILY isn't quite so forgettable - at least, not in every way. The eight-part story opens with Bruce Wayne discovering he's been voted out of Wayne Enterprises in the wake of the Vesper Fairchild murder scandal. That's not the least of his problems, though, as a new vigilante known as the Tracker is intruding on the Batman's turf, making life even more difficult for the crime bosses of Gotham. But unbeknownst to Batman, the appearances of a new vigilante and a new villain called the Suicide King are just the beginning, as another shadowy figure is behind it all - a figure who plans to bring Gotham to its knees.

The idea of a multipart Batman "saga" outside the regular run of the Batbooks isn't a bad one - if nothing else, it saves us all the trouble of having to buy all of them just to get the general idea of the story, and it allows the new BATMAN creative team of Loeb and Lee a chance to create their own saga in relative peace. But the idea of featuring a different member of the Batman Family in each issue may not be as compelling as it once was - as I mentioned earlier, that Family is a very different group of people now than it was in 1975. Back then, it would have been exciting to have an issue each devoted to Batman, then the Dick Grayson Robin, then the Barbara Gordon Batgirl, then perhaps even Man-Bat. But the mere fact that the next issue of this series will feature the Spoiler - you'd be forgiven for asking "Who?" if you wanted to - speaks volumes, as does the inclusion of the Huntress and Black Canary in the following issues. And they'll feature before the current Robin does? We can assume the Bat himself will make an appearance again by the last issue, and of course Nightwing's eventually going to be in there too, but my guess is that only the most avid Bat-Fan will be able to resist the urge to skip the intermediate issues and come back to this one on the eighth installment.

That may also happen because the first issue doesn't inspire the most confidence. John Francis Moore is a competent writer, but he's under pressure in this first issue to pack as much plot in as possible, and even the doubled size doesn't keep the whole thing from feeling too cramped. There are some wonderful moments, of course - Bruce's ouster from his own company is a great scene, as is his talk with Celia Kazantkakis about his mother - but they're buried in a whole lot of other stuff, including several fight sequences that don't have the vibrancy or immediacy they should have. In addition, the artwork by Rick Hoberg and Stefano Gaudiano is a letdown - not only are they often unable to cope with the sheer amount of verbiage Moore's given them to illustrate, their artistic style varies wildly throughout the book. There's really nothing that can be used to distinguish their artwork from that of other artists, save that those other artists are generally pretty good.

For better or for worse, though, we have seven more issues of this coming, and we can only hope that the events of this series aren't referenced too much in the other Bat-Books in years to come - the continuity references here alone are enough to make you cry out for a Bat-Encyclopedia. Otherwise, this is one Family reunion you might decide to skip...for a little while, anyway.

Here is a interview from Comicon.com, BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO:

John Francis Moore is used to putting a different spin on characters and is going to be working his magic this fall on the Batman crew in the eight issue miniseries, Batman Family.

THE PULSE: What is Batman Family?
John Francis Moore: Batman Family is an eight issue miniseries introducing a cadre of elite criminals called the Network, who have infiltrated the both the Gotham underworld and the Gotham business world.
It also introduces a new vigilante called the Tracker who's disrupting a prominent Gotham mob. The series also explores the relationship of Bruce Wayne's mother to a criminal family of the past and a dangerous threat in the present.

THE PULSE: What members of the Family are present in this series?
JFM: Batman, Batgirl, Robin, Nightwing, Oracle, Catwoman, the Spoiler, Orpheus, Black Canary and Alfred.

THE PULSE: How is it similar to the '70s Batman Family series?
JFM: The '70s series was simply an anthology of the Gotham vigilantes which featured some great stories: The Batman leads by Denny O'neil and Michael Golden (with Craig Russell inking Golden's pencils--oh yeah, sweet); and some goofy ones: Batgirl and robin stop the ghost of Benedict Arnold from sabotaging the bicentennial.
This story explores the way Batman interacts with the heroes with whom he works. One of the many irony's of Batman's character is that while he is unquestionably a dark and brooding loner, he surrounds himself with comrades-in-arms. Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Alfred and Oracle are his surrogate family. (The Huntress is probably the black sheep, the errant daughter, if you will.) Is it a dysfunctional family headed by an emotionally distant and often absent father figure? Sure, but Batman's concern for his brood is genuine.
This contrasts with a group called the Network who are a closely knit cadre of criminal orphans and dangerous misfits who are a different sort of family, led by a manipulative and mysterious matriarch named Athena.

THE PULSE: What are some of the goals of this series?
JFM: The primary goal was to introduce an elite group of supercriminals to Gotham, a group that are an even more dysfunctional family unit.
Batman's very memorable rogues gallery is made up primarily of lunatic sociopaths, but he doesn't have an opponent who is as brilliant and dangerous as he is that isn't a psychopath. (Let's face it, every psycho bad guy in comics is just a pale imitation of the Joker.) I wanted to create a villain who could be Batman's Moriarty, and I thought it might be interesting if she were female. Hence, Athena.
Further, I hope that I've laid the groundwork for current and future Batman creative teams to use the characters.

THE PULSE: What do you like the best about the Batman Family?
JFM: Batman and his supporting cast are some of the most interesting and challenging characters to write in the superhero genre. You can't change Batman too much, you have to change his circumstance and explore his reaction to those changes.

THE PULSE: Why should people check out this project?
JFM: It will explain what a lot of new villains who have appeared in one form or another in recent Bat books are doing in Gotham city.
Its got almost all of the Batman supporting cast in one way or another.

THE PULSE: Who else is working on Batman Family?
JFM: The art is by Stefano Gaudiano and Rick Hoberg who are working together, sharing both pencilling and inking chores. They are doing an amazing job bringing the story to life.
John Workman is lettering the book, and he's hands-down one of the best letterers in the business.
As for the editorial office, itís been great to work with Matt Idelson who took over the project after Joe Illidge left DC.

THE PULSE: When does the first issue come out? How many issues is it?
JFM: The first issue comes out in late October and I believe an issue comes out every following week. All totalled there are eight chapters, the first and last books being double sized issues.

THE PULSE: Which supporting members of the Batman Family are favorites?
JFM: Currently, I like them all. I have a great fondness for Dick Grayson (Nightwing) and Barbara Gordon (Oracle), both in their current identities as †Nighwing and Oracle and in their past ones as the original Robin and Batgirl. However, I've really enjoyed the development of the current Robin and Batgirl, Tim Drake and Cassandra (Cain).
The Huntress is the most interesting to write because, unlike the other members of the Gotham vigilante fraternity, she's the most screwed up. She's also the character who has the most potential to grow and change.
Catwoman on the other hand is the most fun to write. I've always maintained that she's a criminal motivated by the love of danger more than the need for profit--Not that she doesn't want the spoils of her late night breaking and entering.

THE PULSE: Which wouldn't you touch with a ten-foot pole?
JFM: Bat-mite. After Evan Dorkin's World's Funniest, there's nothing more to say about that character.

THE PULSE: What other projects are you working on?
JFM: I'm helping Art Thibert relaunch his Black & White series for next year. Kieron Dwyer and I are shopping some creator owned properties. And I'm slowly working on a surreal western for Larry Young's AiT/Planet Lar imprint. A two issue Batgirl/Catwoman/Oracle prestige project drawn by Darick Robertson (Batgirl/Catwoman) and David Ross (Catwoman/Oracle) and inked by Jimmy Palmiotti is supposed to be out sometime in winter I think.

More info:
    Writer: John Francis Moore
    Artists: Rick Hoberg, Stefano Gaudiano

Aug 31st, 2011, 10:25 pm

Aug 31st, 2011, 10:39 pm

Title: Witchblade – Due Process (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Phil Smith (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Andrenn (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    For the last few years I've been loving Ron Marz' Witchblade work. But Due Process is not by the creative team who's work I know and love. Can this different team create as great a story as the main creative team or will things get lost in the process? Let's find out.

Opening Comments: I'm not at all familiar with Smith's other writing but he's apparently written a one-shot for the Top Cow Trinity, I remember hearing about it but sadly never picked it up. With another one-shot, this time focusing on Witchblade, I was hopeful he'd give us a fun and interesting story. While not exactly fun, it was still a good read.

Story Comments: Due Process is a dark story about a man done wrong with the justice system. Sounds simple and it gives us a nice reason to tie it into Witchblade but Smith does a good job of adding that supernatural touch with a demon. Our villain is probably my favorite aspect of this comic as he's not so simple “tee-hee evil evil” like I expected him to be.

Oh sure he's evil, and he's a twisted monster that ends up making things even worse but in a way he's still pretty interesting with how he deals with humans. He sort of makes humans into his puppets to gather him souls and while that sounds pretty damn wicked he's still got some great little bits of dialogue that could really convince you he's not evil.

Despite his evil intentions he really does help this guy out in prison it seems and he really does seem like a helpful demon at first. It's clear his intentions are still wicked and he still leads the main character down a path to destruction like we all expected but it's always a nice touch when the villain doesn't feel super evil or wicked and you aren't 100% sure at first glance of him.

The way this ties into Witchblade is a really great character moment for Sara. She doesn't come across as that kind of person to feel guilty when she does her job really. More then often Sara is hardened and accepts that she's got to be tough to do her job right so we don't see her really ever feeling all that guilty often.

Here though we get a great moment with her feeling personally invested to this man since his imprisonment was partially her fault when she was a know-nothing rookie. That's a great reason for the character to be here and for her to affect the story like she does. Her addition doesn't feel forced or as if she's just there because the title has Witchblade on it.

Similar to the last issue of Witchblade though Sara is a side-character. That will probably frustrate big Witchblade fans wanting to get double doses of Sara this month but I think if she had been pushed into the forefront then it would have been forced. This is all about William and his attempt to get his family back.

William himself isn't the most interesting characte, and that's kind of the problem with a one-shot is that it's got to introduce the character and make you care about him. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't, this is one of the faults is that in the end William doesn't really come out of this one-shot as all that interesting of a protgagonist.

William is a character we sympathize with but only so far. In the end I felt much more sympathy for Sara and her attempt to save William from the demon that was using him. William does make for an all right character in the end but really he could have been replaced with just about any other throwaway victim and it would have worked just the same.

What happens near the end I have mixed feelings about. I obviously won't spoil it but to say the least it leads me to question the whole point of William and trying to get back to his family. It all just kind of leaves me confused. It leads to a great ending I'll mention in a moment, but this moment does sort of support how throwaway William really was.

One thing that really interested me was Williams involvement with the Brotherhood that was controlled by the demon. I would have loved to see more of them and see William integrate into that overly violent life style on the streets. It would have been great, sadly they show up for a couple of pages and we never see them again.

The final moment was easily the highlight of the comic. Again I won't spoil it but it was just really creatively done and shows that sometimes the heroes and villains of a story aren't all that different in how they treat regular people. If this moment is ever followed up on we have yet to see, but I'd love to see a 2nd one-shot dealing with it because it really left me interested to see what happens next.

Overall this issue was a good read, dark and interesting and it fit the world of Witchblade. Its only real big fault is that the story feels like it should have been a mini-series to better develop the main character and build up the big confrontation near the end. The big fight really just comes out of nowhere and is really just kind of there to lead us into the end of the story.

If this had been 2-3 issues I think I would have liked this story a lot more. Hell maybe even an OGN or something. As it stands though it's still a good read and anyone who likes dark stories of intrigue, loss and pain will really like this issue because it's a very dark read and I think that's it's biggest strength is that it doesn't shy away from the dark tone of the story.

There were some nice bonuses at the end with a brief history of the demon used here and a creative process for the cover by Urusov. Just little touches like that really add up the value of a comic for me and it's nice to see Top Cow add them in for anyone like myself who loves bonus goodies.

Art Comments: I really do enjoy Urusov's artwork, it's some amazing stuff. Sadly there were some odd blurry moments that do kind of get in the way but it's still great stuff. When the artwork is good, it's really good, when it's not good, it's never bad just not as good as it is in other places. It's sort of a mixed bag but in the end it's still solid artwork.

Final Comments: A dark story with some really great moments especially near the end, I give this one a solid recommendation. While it's not the same Witchblade I read and love on a regular basis, it's still a good read with some really good artwork. I came into this with some worries but overall I had a great time reading it and I think you will too.

More info:
    Writer: Phil Smith
    Artist: Alina Urusov

Aug 31st, 2011, 10:39 pm