The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Aug 31st, 2011, 10:46 pm

Title: Angel & Faith (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Christos Gage (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Andrenn (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A promising beginning to what’s sure to be an awesome spin-off!"

Review:
    Going directly from where we left off at the end of “Buffy: Season 8″, this spin-off with Faith and Angel is just the sort of thing I’ve been craving since their interaction largely ended after season 3 of the TV series. They make a great team, and I’m so glad that Whedon’s going ahead with this spin-off. Through net galley (thanks, guys!) and the publishers, I got a four-page sneak peek into this new issue that’s coming out at the end of August. And let me tell you, I liked what I saw.

This is going to be short since I don’t have a lot of material to go on, but what I did get to see, I thought was great. We’re plunged straight into action right from the first page – Angel and Faith battling a Lovecraftian demon in order to save a little girl. Angel is back to his old self (“even if he’s spent the past month and a half staring at a wall”, as Faith says), trying to save the girl, still giving into his cravings as a vampire. Faith is looking after him, and the change is great. I love the dynamic between them and always have, and I’m sure that’s going to be explored more as the series goes on. I don’t know if this is going to get a “full season” as “Buffy: Season 8″ did, but I’m kind of hoping it will. I’m also hoping that we’ll run into some old friends along the way, but for now, according to this four page preview, it looks like Angel and Faith will be on their own, going through the Watcher archives and trying to make up for all of the sins they (might have, in some cases) committed.

Redemption is always a great hook, and Faith and Angel are no different when it comes to this hook. If anything, they make that theme even more appealing than it already is. We already know that Angel’s clearly trying to make up for the shenanigans of his past before “Buffy: Season 8″ and during, but with Faith, it’s a little more unclear. It’s only hinted at in the last volume of season 8, so I’m dying to find out if there’s a larger reason behind all of this, and how the Watcher archives play into everything other than just being a guidebook. From the looks of it, Giles is really involved, especially within the preview. It looks like he wasn’t as objective as Watchers should be. Then again, the art looks like him and I may be wrong – it may not be him at all.

So, I have pretty high hopes for this series. Whedon’s never let me down (may have broken my heart repeatedly, but never let me down!) before, so we’ll see. Still, if you’re a Buffy/Angel/Whedon fan, check out “Angel & Faith #1″, out on newsstands August 31st in North America. I know I’ll be going straight to my local comic shop that day, for sure.

More info:
    Executive producer: Joss Whedon
    Writer: Christos Gage
    Art: Rebekah Isaacs
    Colors: Dan Jackson
    Genre: Horror, Action/Adventure

Publisher:

Aug 31st, 2011, 10:46 pm
Sep 1st, 2011, 5:39 am

Title: Extinct (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Fabian Rangel, Jr. (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: John Lees (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Extinct #2
    I don’t know about you, but I find that first issues of a comic series are rarely the best. With all the world-building and setting the stage that needs to be done in that opening issue, it seems that usually it’s the subsequent issues where we start to get into the characters a bit more and the story truly finds its rhythm. Such is the case for Extinct, the werewolf series from 215 Ink. I reviewed the first issue last month, and though I was very positive in my opening impressions, I concluded with “the jury’s still out on how successful this story will be.” Well, with Extinct #2, the jury have returned a decisive verdict, and we can see that this is clearly a comic worth following through to its conclusion.

Something that becomes clearer in this second issue is how funny the story is. Fabian Rangel Jr’s smart scripting vividly brings to life our trio of teenage protagonists as they bicker amongst themselves and try to come to grips with the enormity of the surreal situation they have found yourselves in. Funnily enough, the impression I got reading this issue was that Extinct does for werewolves what Fright Night did for vampires: tackling a classic monster through the perspective of young characters familiar with all the classic tropes, making the story work simultaneously as a humorous twist on the old cliches as well as an earnest homage to the genre.

It’s not just the kids that Rangel Jr effectively brings to life, however. The primary antagonists – the nasty principal and his bullying jock son, both introduced in the previous issue, but here emerging as full-blown werewolf Big Bads – are further fleshed out, as they take turns “fleshing out” helpless victims in some blackly comic death scenes. This vein of dark humor carries on through the subsequent conversation father and son have. “Dad,” asks young Scott, having just turned into a werewolf and feasted on human intestines for the first time, “What’s happening?” His father looks on in solemn silence for a beat, before answering with, “Scotty, I think it’s time we had a talk.” It’s that awkward father/son puberty discussion, rendered absurd by the fact that it’s two gore-splattered werewolves having it. Just replace a wet dream with gutting the school doctor.

There was a lot of mystery in the first issue, and there remain unanswered questions, but through the arrival of Jimmy’s father James and his werewolf-killing sidekick, as well as the monologuing of our aformentioned evil father/son combo, we start to see the werewolf mythology of this particular narrative take shape, and get a sense of what the larger plot will be moving forward. But having said that, you still get the sense that there isn’t much story crammed into the issue. With few pages having more than 3 or 4 panels, this is a very quick read, perhaps lacking in detail in some spots.

However, any sacrifice in depth is more than compensated for in the drama that Jethro Morales brings to the table with his art (assisted once more by the vibrant colors of Juanmar Studios). The cartoonish yet expressive character designs really enhance the black comedy vibe I’m getting from the book, but when the moment calls for it, he can get menacing with the werewolves, making masterful use of shading and perspective to make these oh-so-familiar monsters feel enigmatic and menacing. In this regard, I can’t really fault Rangel Jr with his “less is more” approach to plotting: the large canvas he gives Morales on each page to depict his dynamic visuals are a big part of what makes this such an immersive reading experience. Like all the best writer/artist collaborations, Morales has put his creative stamp on Extinct just as much as Rangel Jr.

Let me also take a brief moment to salute both Rangel Jr and Morales for that last page spread. Werewolf basketball players? Surely an homage to the ’80s Michael J. Fox film Teen Wolf. Genius!

215 Ink are putting out a wealth of quality material right now, but with issue #2, Extinct puts itself right up there with the very best. Both writer Fabian Rangel Jr and artist Jethro Morales are both rising stars to watch in the comics world.

More info:
    Writer/Creator: Fabian Rangel, Jr.
    Artist: Jethro Morales
    Letterer: Ed Brisson

Sep 1st, 2011, 5:39 am
Sep 1st, 2011, 10:07 am

Title: Green Lantern Movie Prequel Sinestro (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Geoff Johns, Michael Goldenberg, and Adam Schlagman (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: liquidcross (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    The news of Abin Sur’s death has reached Oa, and as Morro inscribes a crystal tombstone, Sinestro seems to be lost in thought. He recalls how he became inducted into the Green Lantern Corps, when his homeworld of Korugar was facing an uprising. He wanted to use his newfound power to fix things, but his mentor Abin Sur forbade it. Snapping back to the present, the other Corps members ask Sinestro what he’s going to do now that Abin is dead, and Sinestro merely replies that he’ll continue his usual duties as a Lantern.

We’ve all heard the phrase “better late than never.” In this case, though, we could’ve easily done without this prequel issue at all. While Sinestro’s anger on Korugar seems well-founded, as well as his rightful complaint about the Green Lantern Corps never bothering to drop by and help, it has no real bearing on his portrayal in the film. In fact, the ending scene where he flies off from Abin Sur’s funeral makes it look as if his ruminations on the past didn’t even have a purpose! The rapidly changing art styles don’t do the book any favors, either. Sometimes Sinestro’s head looked too damned big! I know that was the norm during the Silver Age, but it’s not how he looked in the movie.

The additional story, a history of the Green Lantern Corps, was even wrose because it was so ultimately pointless. The Corps’ history is fully explained in the film, so here it’s nothing but fluff. What a waste!

As we all know by now, the Green Lantern film didn’t do nearly as well as the studio was hoping. The prequel issues overall haven’t been so hot, either, and releasing a crappy one months late only reinforces many folks’ negative opinions.

More info:
    Story: Geoff Johns, Michael Goldenberg, and Adam Schlagman
    Art: Harvey Tolibao, Cliff Richards, Jerry Ordway, Fernando Dagnino, and Raul Fernandez

Sep 1st, 2011, 10:07 am
Sep 1st, 2011, 12:01 pm

Title: The Rinse (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Gary Phillips (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Jason Wilkins (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: The Rinse #1
    Reading like a primer teaching how to make dirty, ill-gotten gains squeaky-clean, BOOM! Studios’ The Rinse presents an intriguing perspective on the old the caper tale. Available this September for a measly buck, The Rinse is the brainchild of crime novelist Gary Phillips, a man who would seem to know far too much about laundering money to be walking around free.

Following a day in the life of Jeff Sinclair, San Francisco’s premiere “laundry man” as he navigates the murky waters of white collar crime in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge, The Rinse is a tightly scripted heist story that tells what happens to all those greenbacks once the curtain falls. If you’ve ever wondered how your favorite fictional criminal manages to actually benefit from their various illicit enterprises, it’s a good bet you’ll find the answer in The Rinse.

Phillips has obviously done his homework but he doesn’t let his research overwhelm the plot, balancing out the originality of his subject matter with strong, sure characterization. Sinclair is a complex character, with a highly refined sense of personal morals that conveniently allows him the luxury of viewing his lifestyle through very rosy glasses. It will be interesting to witness his journey as he begins to understand that despite the level of insulation he enjoys from his clients’ criminal endeavors he still drastically impacts the lives of their past and potential victims by facilitating their ability to financially benefit from their enterprises. Sinclair lives in a twilight world of shifting criminal alliances and high finance, so it’s fascinating then, that he so stubbornly tries to see things in black and white.

Phillips' solid characterization is visually supported by his artistic collaborator Marc Laming, who brings a classy, traditional crime fiction feel to the book that helps ground it securely in the genre. There’s an easy workmanlike quality to his art that reminds me of some of the house artists of the Seventies and Eighties giving The Rinse a timeless feel. When reading it, one gets the sense crimes such as these occur every day right outside our windows and a large part of that comes from the gritty, familiar sense of reality evoked by Laming’s art.

Fresh, intriguing, and educational, The Rinse is a most welcome new addition to the crime genre. Phillips and Laming have created a visually distinct, crisply-paced caper story that shows a different side of the criminal underworld. One of the best, most original crime comics in some time, The Rinse comes highly recommended and stands right up there with books like Bendis’ Jinx or Brubaker’s Criminal.

More info:
    Words: Gary Phillips
    Art: Marc Laming

Publisher:

Sep 1st, 2011, 12:01 pm
Sep 1st, 2011, 12:13 pm

Title: Superior (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mark Millar (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Bruce Castle (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Superior #1
    Mark Millar’s new storyboard is here! I find it’s best to play Millar’s game when you discuss his work. However, though this comic may very well be a movie next year, you won’t find the cynical Mark Millar of Wanted and Kick-Ass fame within these pages. No, this is the Mark Millar who wrote Marvel 1985, whose main inspiration are Steven Spielberg movies he grew up with. I’d say this comic is kids-friendly, but it’s still very much a Mark Millar book, which means the gratuitous use of a few old German words.

So how does this attitude work for the book? It’d be pretty accurate to call Marvel 1985 Millar’s best work in the last few years, and I get a similar vibe from this opening issue. For one, this is the first Millar book in months that’s taken me more than three minutes to read, so that says something. Millar spends more time with his characters, his premise, his writing in general.

As always, Millar has a terrific artist with him. This time it’s Leinil Yu, who produces better work here than in his last project, also with Millar. It still pails in comparison to Yu’s best work, Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. I finally figured out why. Yu wasn’t being inked there. Mark Morales inked Yu on Secret Invasion, and that stuff looked pretty good. With both Superior and Ultimate Avengers, Gerry Alanguilan has inked Yu, and he’s not a good fit. His inks are far too heavy for Yu, leaving many of Yu’s figures distorted. Hopefully, when Superior 2 rolls around, Yu will just let McCaig color his pencils again. All that said, the book still looks good. With the lack of action scenes, the bulk of this comic is spent watching the characters interact, which is something Yu can handle a lot better than some of Millar’s other artists, making Yu a good choice for this particular book.

Superior #1 is an impressive debut, perhaps even startling if you’re at all familiar with Millar’s work. I appreciate the sincere Mark Millar. As usual, he gives his little afterword and points out that, like Kick-Ass Image and Nemesis, the protagonist’s name was auctioned off for charity. The vulgar nature of those other titles urged me to ignore that, but with the endearing quality of Superior #1, those acts of kindness from Millar finally hit home. All in all, this comic actually makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, which sets it above the other recent comics trying to capitalize on the genuine superhero.

More info:
    Mark Millar writer
    Clayton Cowles letterer
    Gerry Alanguilan inker
    Leinil Francis Yu penciler
    Steve McNiven, David Bogart cover
    Sunny Gho colorist
    John Barber, Cory Levine editor
    Taylor Esposito, Randall L. Miller production

Publisher:

Sep 1st, 2011, 12:13 pm
Sep 1st, 2011, 2:51 pm

Title: Locke & Key – Clockworks (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Joe Hill (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Miguel Perez (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Clockworks #2
    With the finale of Keys to the Kingdom leaving the Locke family in a far more vulnerable and dangerous situation than where they were prior, and last month's Clockworks #1 focusing on someone else entirely, I came in expecting Clockwork #2 to rock my socks off. I wanted it to cover as much ground as possible while at the same time tugging at my heartstrings. Was I asking too much? Probably. Did Locke & Key deliver? Absolutely.

Right from the get-go Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez deliver one hell of a gut punch. The rest of the issue is decidedly more low key but features several poignant moments that touch on various past events and underlying themes. Nina's drinking, Kinsey's lack of fear and sorrow, and even the fact that death surrounds the Locke family; all of these issues find their way onto the page, and Hill still manages to progress the story in a meaningful way that spells big trouble for our protagonists. It's a balance of substance and progression that's rarely seen but always appreciated.

While it doesn't experiment with the medium in the way that the Calvin & Hobbes tribute issue did, this just might be one of Rodriguez's strongest outings to date. His ability to capture raw emotion has always been strong, but here the tears, sorrow and fear are practically leaping off the page. The funeral and Tyler's breakdown are perfect examples of Rodriguez at his best. Couple this with another fantastically disturbing mindscape section and you've got a book that's as beautiful as it is powerful. Seriously, it's unfair how good Locke & Key is.

More info:
    Publisher: IDW
    Writer: Joe Hill
    Artist: Gabriel Rodriguez
    Cover: Gabriel Rodriguez

Sep 1st, 2011, 2:51 pm
Sep 1st, 2011, 3:05 pm

Title: Locke and Key - Welcome to Lovecraft (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Joe Hill (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Brian Cronin (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Locke and Key #1
    The first issue of Joe Hill’s new comic book for IDW came out this week, and for his first foray into comics, the novelist shows an uncanny proclivity for comic-writing, which is quite impressive to me (as I have noted in the past). The end result is a spooky set-up for what promises to be an enjoyably eerie comic book.

First off, one of the most impressive thing a horror writer can do (especially right off the bat) is get the reader invested in the characters he is planning on tormenting in the future, and Hill does a good job introducing us to the three main characters, three siblings who are sent to live in a bizarre mansion with their mother after their father is brutally murdered.

Check out their introduction here, as we see how their mundane problems are suddenly turned into tragic problems.

Hill continues the mundane reactions even after the murders – he has a real ear for dialogue, as the interactions the main character, Tyler, has with his friends and his uncle are both realistic and humorous (“Dude, you are so famous now!”).

The intercutting of the past (where the Tyler faces off with the killers, to deadly and bloody effect) with the present works well, as Hill is really stressing the whole horror mixed with normal life aspect of the comic, which is a good idea, as that is probably the strongest feature of the work.

Speaking to the everyday life approach, the characters all realize that going to live in a house that has a NAME is creepy, in and of itself (the house is called The Keyhouse), so Hill hangs a lantern on the setup quite nicely.

Hill is leaving the truly bizarre stuff for the later issues, I imagine, but he still gives us a number of tantalizing hints as to what weirdness awaits the readers in future issues, and what specific roles keys play in the story.

Gabriel Rodriguez’ art is pretty good. It is a bit on the cartoony side, but I think that works well with what Hill is going with the “contrast horror with everyday life” thing, so this is probably a better approach than an artist who specializes in moodier, darker art. That said, Rodriguez, what’s the deal with the sister’s hair? Is it made out of yarn? It distracted me.

For a first issue, this was an effective beginning. And if Hill is this good with his FIRST issue of comic writing, I can only imagine how good he’ll get as he gets used to the field.

Recommended.

More info:
    Colors by Jay Fotos

Sep 1st, 2011, 3:05 pm
Sep 1st, 2011, 7:01 pm

Title: Locke & Key - Keys To The Kingdom (Click to go to the release post)

Review: Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom #1
    Do you remember Calvin & Hobbes? Joe Hill certainly does.

Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez aren't the sort of storytellers content with resting on their laurels. Simply giving fans the same great book month after month isn't enough for them. While "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a rule that almost every creator follows, Hill and Rodriguez enjoy illustrating time and again that they aren't like most creators. Keys to the Kingdom #1 proves once again that they aren't afraid to take bold and daring chances when it comes to telling their story.

This issue is dedicated to Bill Watterson, creator of the classic Calvin and Hobbes comic strip, and it's evident from the start that the duo chose several different ways to honor the cartoonist. Every page utilizes the same structure; four panels aligned vertically on top of a full-page image. This works remarkably well, allowing Rodriguez to blend the traditional comic strip format with gorgeous large-scale splashes. Half of the adventure is explored through Bode's perspective and rendered in a style reminiscent of Watterson's famous strip. To top it all off, those segments even read like a Calvin and Hobbes story as Joe Hill injects the same sort of funny yet insightful dialogue that made the original so enjoyable.

Every page is a tour de force, showcasing Rodriguez's storytelling ability as well as his artistic range. Pairing the Watterson-inspired segments with horrific imagery involving a bloodthirsty Dodge leads to a sharp change in tone and emotional resonance with each turn of the page. One moment I would laugh at Bode's strange predicament, the next I could hardly believe the amount of blood on the page. The comic runs the gamut of emotions and takes readers on one hell of a ride.

And because comic books aren't just about pretty pictures, you'll be glad to hear that the words themselves are actually worth reading too. The overarching story isn't addressed; instead Hill takes the opportunity to further explore the interpersonal relationships between the Locke children, as well as their individual struggles as they attempt to inject some sort of normalcy into their lives.
    As is often the case, Bode steals the show for most of the issue. But Tyler's discovery of Kinsey and Zack's secret relationship, as well as the emotional baggage it brings up, is certain to play a factor as the series progresses.

Whenever I encounter someone looking for recommendations on comics to read, Locke & Key is always on the top of my list of suggestions. And it's bold issues like this one, ones that challenge the notion of what comic books are supposed to be, that wonderfully exemplify why this book stands head and shoulders above the rest.

More info:
    Colors by Jay Fotos

Sep 1st, 2011, 7:01 pm
Sep 1st, 2011, 10:36 pm

Title: Red Mantis (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Martin Pardo (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Tomas L. Martin (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Platinum Studios is a recent new comic book company set up by Scott Mitchell Rosenberg, who used to produce 'The Men In Black' comics for Malibu Comics, leading to the story ending up on the big screen. In 2007, they started the new company and have produced some interesting releases already, trying to eke a place in amongst the Vertigos and the Marvels.

'Red Mantis' is one of the first graphic novels released by Spanish creative team David Morancho and Martin Pardo. It's an attractively packaged graphic novel although it is very short at 72 pages. A typical single episode of a comic is 22 pages and a graphic often collects 5 or more episodes.

The artwork by David Morancho is good, with some excellent use of rain and shadow. The colouring is simple but effective. The action scenes are effective and dynamic, with the car chase sequences in particular working well.

The story follows Lola, a Nikita-style female killer. After performing an assassination for a crooked mob boss, he decides to dispose of her so she can't talk. Needless to say she's tougher than that and escapes to hunt down the untrustworthy crime lord.

Along the way, Lola meets a police officer and they get together, complicating her attempts to be a cold-blooded killer with no attachments. When the mob boss turns out to have dangerous strings in the police, too, it all gets messy.

The plot is pretty typical mob story with love interest, but the action and dialogue is good enough to keep it enjoyable. I felt although solid, the artwork could have used some more expressive faces. Overall, this is a solid debut for this team and promises much for the future of Platinum Studios.

More info:
    Publisher: Image
    Writer: Martin Pardo
    Artist: David Morancho
    Cover Artist: David Morancho and Zachary A. Pennington
    Page Count: 72

Sep 1st, 2011, 10:36 pm
Sep 2nd, 2011, 1:11 pm

Title: Locke & Key: Head Games (Click to go to the release post)
Review source: Dusty Bottoms (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Let's just say, we get to see into more than just Joe Hill's and Gabriel Rodriguez's heads. I don't want to give away any spoilers.. but 'Head Games' is a turning point for the 'Locke & Key' series and an airing-out of old mysteries & back story.. The Head Key is an inspired invention that allows the reader a fascinating and profound bout of vicarious living.. that also adds layers to the series and opens up new possibilities. 'Head Games' surpasses the previous volume of 'Locke and Key, exchanging a heart-wrenching climactic conclusion for mind-bending twists, and plot illumination.

'Locke & Key' explores the fear and wonder that accompanies the loss of innocence, and is layered with the subtle existentialism of the fantasy/horror genre. 'Locke & Key' is a character-driven series that gives us protagonists we can truly understand and empathize with. The series redefines the meaning of 'mischievous villain' and 'evil incarnate' for the comic industry, effectively portraying the diabolism and even perversion of manipulation, deceit and the violation of trust. Joe Hill's writing and creativity is of a caliber truly rare in fiction today, and Chilean artist, Gabriel Rodriguez's pencils are stunning, uncannily proficient at creating living & breathing characters and keeping a palpable tension that captivates you.

'Locke & Key' is a wonderful, magical & melancholic story.. and it wears the comic medium like a glove. It has the sprawl of a novel, but not the focus. Like Gaiman's 'Sandman, it is a somewhat epic tale of dark fantasy told in a series of episodes.. essentially a string of short stories connected by the same characters and larger, overarching concerns.

I recommend you start out with the first volume of the series.. if you aren't familiar with 'Locke & Key'. Our three protagonists are siblings.. Bode, Kinsey and Ty. After their father was murdered, they moved, along with their mother, into a possibly haunted house full of magic keys and who knows what else. The first volume not only lays the foundation for the story; it sets the mood.

The hardcovers are durable and as delightful to look at as their contents. The pages are thick and glossy.. which is only fitting for such a fascinating & elegantly illustrated story.

FYI: Joe Hill is actually Joseph Hillstrom King, son of Stephen King. also.. Dimension Films has picked up the film and television rights from IDW publishing for 'Locke & Key' considering the series as a potential franchise. The 'Locke & Key' series is planned to span 68 issues..

More info:
    Colors by Jay Fotos

Sep 2nd, 2011, 1:11 pm
Sep 2nd, 2011, 2:28 pm

Title: Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows (Click to go to the release post)

Review: Crown of Shadows #2
    There are few books out there that are as amazing as Locke & Key. I would know, I read a lot of comics. The synergy between Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez is rarely seen in the industry, especially in independent titles that appear without warning. Since the series first debuted in early 2008 there hasn't been a single bad issue, and this latest installment is no exception.

With each issue we inch closer and closer to learning the true nature of the keys and their connection to the Locke family, but we also learn more about the family members themselves. This time around the focus is on Kinsey and the trouble she gets into because of her inability to feel fear. Hill's use of this plot point is effective and incredibly subtle. In a lesser writer's hands she could have easily appeared to simply be heartless and foolhardy.

Another thing that Joe Hill does so well is that he makes you care for his characters, even those that have yet to be established. This issue introduces to two new faces, and at first glance they appear to be one-note characters, yet by the end of the issue I found them to be anything but. I hope that there are plans to include them more as the series progresses.

There is no question in my mind that I would not enjoy this book so much if Gabriel Rodriguez was not doing the artwork. Very few artists are capable of infusing their worth with such emotion, yet Rodriguez makes it look so easy. The fear and panic that the children feel is made perfectly clear by his sharp pencil work, and his storytelling ability is on par with the best artist in the business. To top it all off, the final page in the issue easily ranks up there as one of the most chilling images in the entire series.

With each issue, Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez continue to show us what's possible when writer and artist are perfectly in sync. The only real complaint I can give this issue is that there was no real progression of the overarching storyline. We are left with more questions than answers, but the ride is so damn entertaining that it hardly matter. There aren't many books out there now that I can say that about.

More info:
    Colors by Jay Fotos

Sep 2nd, 2011, 2:28 pm
Sep 2nd, 2011, 3:41 pm

Title: Yoko Tsuno (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Roger Leloup (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: DJ Joe Sixpack (review 1) and Vanja (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    Review 1 - On the Edge of Life: Yoko Tsuno 1 - An action-packed adventure story featuring the teenage heroine, Yoko Tsuno, a Japanese-born Belgian citizen who holds an engineering degree and loves to solve mysteries across the globe. The series, originally published in French in the 1970s, is sort of like Nancy Drew with a scientific twist. One of the greatest features is artwork, an excellent example of the European "clear line" style, with detail-oriented, realistic artwork and, in particular, an amazing dedication to architectural detail. This story is set in a German city filled with medieval chalets; the graphic presentation is pretty stunning.

This particular volume is a little confusing because, although it says it's "volume 1," this was originally the seventh Yoko Tsuno story published in the French editions, so in a sense we are coming in on the middle of the action, rapidly introduced to a preexisting cast of characters. Some sort of republication rights issue, I'm sure. Regardless, it won't deter most readers -- this is a fast-paced, science-oriented adventure story with a strong female heroine and quite suitable for younger readers, with no sexual content or extreme violence, etc... Worth checking out!

Review 2 - Yoko Tsuno 2 - The Devil's organ - Collected in 1973, "The Devil's Organ" is the second Yoko Tsuno adventure story, serialized in "the Spirou Magazine" by Roger Leloup. As is typical with Franco-Belgian comics, the album offers a complete story that is completely accessible to a reader unfamiliar with the events of the original album. Yoko is simply a resourceful young Japanese woman, traveling with her two friends, and encountering a complicated mystery plot along the way. Finding themselves in Germany, the previously dubbed "trio of the bizarre" are witness to a strange incident involving a beautiful local woman. Once again, the impulsive Paul is quick to respond to Ingrid's charms, while Yoko maintains an objective stance, tempered by her helpful nature.

The elusive Vic is once again continually on the sidelines. That Paul relatively quickly joins in and falls into the background, silent but for the occasional blunder and an aside, speaks to the archetypal characterization Leloup imbues the new character with, who plays the role of the victim right until the very end. Thus, most of the action revolves directly around Yoko, who is tasked not only with coming up with the solution to the murder mystery involving Ingrid's father and local folklore, but also saving the lives of herself and her helpless companions.

One could make the case that Yoko is a stereotypical Japanese woman in that she seems to be a string of racial attributes tied into an Franco-Belgian comic book hero, but ironically this is also what sets her apart. That her technical savvy is coupled with a knowledge of martial arts somehow makes her into a potent protagonist, and not a walking cliche. Leloup is careful to present her as a character having adventures in foreign lands, where her special skills are secondary to her intellect, curiosity and compassion.

Of course, having his Belgium-based character on a dangerous undertaking in a neighboring country, done by Herge's background assistant once again invites direct comparison to "Tintin". In this respect, "The Devil's Organ" appears as a relatively straightforward detective story, with some local flavor to make it more memorable. Where Herge seems somewhat broader in his assessments and more focused on his cast of characters and the specific style of humor he used, Leloup proceeds in a much more direct fashion.

His story takes place in Germany, revolves around the local legends and maintains a subtle note of occult terror throughout, but could otherwise very easily be reworked to star any number of Franco-Belgian protagonists, such as Gil Jordan, and even Colonel Clifton. Roger Leloup's work would be what would still distinguish it from the other albums in a similar series. Having a creator produce a single 44 page album per year makes for a staggering amount of artistic detail and a clear break between volumes. It seems that simply concentrating so much time and energy into a single story made the Franco-Belgian creators mindful to at least change the formula to include different locales in each of the entries in the series.

The resulting research and effort certainly pays off to produce visually startling work that both feels like a continuation of the series, and a pleasant diversion on it's own. Simply watching the Rhine vistas and the craggy hills ancient castles surrounded by the old fashioned town should feel like a typical middle European comics adventure, but in the hands of Leloup it becomes a real treat. The physical model of the castle itself, with the prominent tower and the adjacent area, feels completely realized, befitting it's importance as the story setting. This is particularly notable given so much of the similar locales in the medium typically looking like a cheap cardboard approximation of the same generic fortress. In Leloup's hands, the structure is depicted as looming over the river and the town houses, until it becomes the stage for the final act of the story.

Once again, the artist's attention to detail when it comes to the ferryboat and the train goes far and beyond the usual standards of realism in comics, with vehicles that have weight and mobility far beyond the look of being traced from a postcard in the work of a lot of the figure-centered artists. As befitting ligna claire style, the characters seem much more livelier than their surroundings, which is something of a problem when it comes to the artist's design for Paul, who simply looks like he belongs in a different comic book altogether. And while Yoko is kept in the realistic proportions, some of the side characters sport a somewhat looser style, which when compared to the main character's relatively calm and measured behavior, proceeds to somewhat distract from their surroundings. This is no doubt intended to ease up the characters acting out long swathes of dialogue, but the capable yet not too attractive figure drawings still betrays the artist's preference for depicting still life.

It stands to be pointed out again that this is a complete reversal from the typical comic book illustrations that tend to concentrate on the fast paced physicality of the characters in motion, with the background details provided to liven up the atmosphere, or more often, when the script specifically calls for them. When it comes to the story, in "The Devil's Organ" Leloup decides to mine the larger then life implications involved with having characters investigating a possible local cult, coupled with the depictions of medieval armor and, later on, a dungeon complete with a baroque organ that could hardly possess such a presence in a non-visual medium. Thus, despite the somewhat simple case of detective work Yoko encounters in the town of St. Goar, the writer/artist keeps maintains the aura of supernatural by using familiar tropes such as giant bats coming through the window.

That Leloup builds a peculiar sets of clues involving the audio tape left after the disappearance of Ingrid's father makes for an entertaining technology based investigation involving the town and it's river front. Still, what every 44 page comic book mystery story has to grapple with is the small number of suspects that can be previously alluded to in order for them to turn into the credible antagonists in the final act. Ironically, this makes for some realistic cases when Yoko and her genre colleagues pieces together the motives and evidence pertaining to the case, but still leaves a discerning reader with a mystery that could hardly have revealed a much different outcome.

Leloup tries to diversify the circumstances by coming up with a few final complications, but the explanation only becomes that much more convoluted because of it. Thankfully, such a bizarre set of contraptions that the technologically minded villain comes up with to undertake a simple interest fuel goal feels right at home when it comes to the medium. Reading the story about sound used to hypnotize the opponents and constructing a gigantic organ to echo the local folklore seems much better suited to the material then even watching it on screen, in what could only work as a very peculiar star studded blockbuster. But again, even a serviceable explanation seems more than enough when it comes to the story featuring as many action scenes as "The Devil's Organ".

Yoko in particular, seems to be continuously climbing up hills and falling off the walls, while the underground passages and secret rooms appear just where she imagines them to be, all flawlessly rendered by her creator. In a world where complicated machinery dominates every brightly lit room, this electrical engineer still relies chiefly on her instincts and rational mind to overcome threat against threat that is thrown against her.

That Roger Leloup manages to produce such a well thought out detective story, back to back with what was almost a space opera, belies a comics creator capable of every kind of work in the field. That the very next album represents the return to the series' origins could just mean that he was thinking of his own interests first, no matter the perceived audience's distaste for mixing the two.

More info:
    Story: Roger Leloup
    Art: Roger Leloup
    Publisher: Dupuis (French and Dutch). Cinebook (English). 1970-2011.

Sep 2nd, 2011, 3:41 pm
Sep 3rd, 2011, 10:05 am

Title: Mindfield (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): J. T. Krul (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Timothy Callahan (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review: Mindfield #0
    In "Mindfield" #0, we learn very little about the overall scope of the series, but we get a small dose of who we'll be following, and the tone in which the series will be told. And it's vaguely interesting, but it feels like a television show you may already have seen. It's one of those psychic detective shows, but with special agents; it's "24" meets that short-lived Jeff Goldblum series about the guy who could see ghosts, with a hint of "The Matrix" thrown in. Those combinations don't make for a bad comic book, but "Mindfield" seems like a familiar kind of story that doesn't really need to be told again.

This introductory issue, which provides twelve pages of story and six pages of text-and-sketches, introduces us to Connor, the everyman-with-psychic-powers protagonist. We also meet Erika, Connor's sassy partner. The Misty Knight to his Danny Rand. The text pages introduce us to more of the cast, and they as dripping with cliché as the two we follow in issue #0. There's the weary old agent, the tough black dude with an attitude, the token good-guy Middle Easterner that you have to include in a series about fighting terrorism.

Yes, it's a paint-by-numbers cast of characters in a series could be described simply as "What if homeland security used psychic agents?"

But it's certainly not all bad. It has fun with the psychic scenes, as Connor "listens in" on the thoughts of the people going through an airport security checkpoint. Artist Alex Konat does a better job with the psychic visions than he does with the more bland pages about guys in suits standing around, and in the visions, Connor sees what the people are really thinking about as they go through the airport. Bondage. Humiliation. Tranquility. Hacking up monsters with swords. It's a chance for Konat to show his range a bit, and it gives the comic a sense of humor that seems otherwise absent.

And there's also the twist that this airport scene is but a trial run -- a training routine with actors playing the roles. That revelation changes the way we interpret the psychic visions -- the husband in line at the airport with the rage-filled visions? Just an actor. Same with the security guard with the bondage fantasies. "Mindfield" #0 doesn't do much to explore what difference it might make, but it does change the way we interpret this fictional world. Even if the psychic visions were just a brief interlude from a chase-down-the-suicide-bomber sequence.

In his text piece, J. T. Krul seems to have ambitious plans for this series. And its natural questioning about notions of appearance and reality, and what people think vs. what they do -- well, that could lead to some interesting possibilities. But this zero issue doesn't make a convincing case that he'll pull it off.

More info:
    Story by J. T. Krul
    Art by Alex Konat, Saleem Crawford
    Colors by John Starr
    Letters by Josh Reed
    Cover by Alex Konat
    Publisher Aspen Comics

Sep 3rd, 2011, 10:05 am
Sep 3rd, 2011, 10:52 am

Title: The Mysterious Traveler (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Joe Gentile (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: reader (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    The Mysterious Traveler Returns from Moonstone. Our titular somewhat hero returns, this time to come to the aid of a young woman named Kit. She's had an experience she cannot explain, nor can she let go of it. As Kit tells her story, the Traveler learns what he needs to do: and it involves exacting a terrible vengeance upon someone or someones. With this issue, the story really gels even better than the last one shot Moonstone created.

The story is pure Rod Serling with a bite--and that's a compliment. Kit's story didn't lead where I was expecting it to, and in the process we learn a bit more about the Traveler: little passing clues that intrigue without frustrating. The artwork has some great composition going on, with excellent faces--especially the wide innocent face of Kit. This is all well executed. If future issues are like this, it should be a permanent addition to your pull list.

More info:
    Joe Gentile (Writer)
    Trevor Von Eeden (Artist)
    Wally Lowe (Greytones)
    Erik Enervold (Letterer).

Sep 3rd, 2011, 10:52 am
Sep 4th, 2011, 6:05 am

Title: Legacy of the Invisible Man (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Dave Ulanski (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: James N Simpson (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

Review:
    This a very thin comic book, no thicker than the old superhero comics you probably read as a kid that takes about 20 minutes to finish. Certainly is not the length of most other aimed at adult market comic books (or graphic novels as they are sometimes called) such as the Friday the 13th comic book sequels.

This is a fairly basic story, I guess the word count (or page count whatever comic books use) meant the authors couldn't really take it anywhere other than pretty much a skeleton plot outline. The outline is basically a young man named Wayland is told in the last breaths of his grandfather that there are some diaries that have been passed down from generation to generation. These belonged originally to Griffin (the scientist who was the invisible man in H G Wells' classic novel. Since the authors or publishers probably figure a lot of their readers haven't read that book they spend quite a few of the small number of pages in this comic book rehashing that story. Anyway he decides having an invisible man for the hotel he has just inherited will really fill it up so tracks down some long lost relative of Griffin's in America and hires him to make sense of the diaries and make an invisible man. Of course greed and betrayal mean nothing goes smoothly.

Not much really happens at all in this story, unless you're a huge invisible man genre fan, I'd give this a miss. If you want an interesting spin on Wells' novel check out the, The Invisible Man movie which although a bit different to the book still follows the basic plot. Also check out the novels Memoirs of an Invisible Man by H. F. Saint and Smoke by Donald E Westlake. Memoirs also has an 1980s Chevy Chase movie based on it which isn't bad (see Memoirs of an Invisible Man). It's probably the best of the invisible man films out there.

If it's junior fiction you're after then the best of this genre are My Best Friend Is Invisible (Goosebumps) by R. L. Stine, You Are Invisible: CYOA #48 by Susan Saunders, The Invisible Day by Marthe Jocelyn, Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich by Adam Rex, you can even get an illustrated version of H.G. Wells 1897 classic The Invisible Man (Great Illustrated Classics).

More info:
    Dave Ulanski (Author)
    Art Nichols (Art)
    Ken Wolack (colors)

Sep 4th, 2011, 6:05 am

Post rewarded by Ojay on Oct 10th, 2011, 6:19 am.
Nice reviewed! 5 WRZ$ reward. Thanks Zach!