The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Sep 29th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Title: Coraline (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Neil Gaiman (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Bonnie (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Coraline: The Graphic Novel is a very entertaining read that I had trouble putting down."

Review:
    I’ve only read one of Neil Gaiman’s books before, The Graveyard Book, which I found to be a delightful book and yet it didn’t exactly rope me in. I haven’t read Coraline the novel, but after reading the graphic adaptation of it I’d like to read it now. I’m getting the sense that Gaiman has a bit of a darker sense of imagination that is more of a subtle sort and not overwhelming. That’s something a little Goth at heart like myself can appreciate and enjoy.

Coraline: The Graphic Novel is a very entertaining read that I had trouble putting down. I think Gaiman has a wonderful imagination and it’s nice to see that transformed visually. I find Russell’s artwork to be clean and slightly abstract at the same time, helping to push the story along, and portray the feelings of the characters. The expressions on their faces for instance are captured quite well and I always appreciate that in a graphic novel.

I’m not an artist in the graphic novel/comic sense, I’m not even a great drawer when it comes to people, but I’ve read enough graphic novels to know that not all artists are good at capturing faces and that always mars the story for me because I think that’s something that is very important, especially if the story centres around emotions and living beings.

The only thing I have to say in the negative is this – you can’t taste a colour, maybe if you’re on drugs or something, but I still highly doubt it even then.

I’d highly recommend Coraline for a young audience too. I know its demographic is already a younger audience (when I say young, I mean pre-pubescent to later teens), but there’s a lot out there geared towards a certain age that I don’t think really fits in with that. As it is there are books, movies, and games that I wouldn’t recommend for their age demographic and I wonder why they are in the first place. I don’t find the graphic adaptation of Coraline to be like that and in actual fact believe it would not only be enjoyed by a younger audience (as much as an older audience), but it has some great lessons and morals to the tale.

More info:
    Written by Neil Gaiman
    Illustrated by P. Craig Russel

Publisher:

Sep 29th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Nov 4th, 2011, 2:41 pm.
Nice reviewed! 5 WRZ$ reward. Thanks Zach!
Sep 29th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Title: All-Star Western (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Matt McGloin (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I'm hooked!"

Review: All-Star Western #1
    Never in a million years would I have picked up a books like this. So, right there, the New 52 has succeeded.

Have Gray, Palmiotti and Moritat?

Read on!

As I am unfamiliar with the main character, Jonah Hex, the book, for me, was composed of part Deadwood, part Sherlock Holmes and part Jack The Ripper - with a backdrop of Batman.

The issue is a very well written one - one I found impressive, that takes place toward the turn of the 19th century. A series of serial murders have set the citizens of Gotham into a frenzy. Everything you expect to be found in this type of story - is. You have the murder of prostitutes with the mysterious writing on the wall, the corrupt and incapable police force, an unlikely duo paired together to solve the crime, and a flare of rich aristrocratic influence involved with a secret society (ala From Hell with Johnny Depp) that may or may not be at fault.

As the plot is strikingly familiar, Gray and Palmiotti have managed to inject a measure of allure into the mix with the unlikely teaming of Jonah Hex and Amadeus Arkham. As they go about investigating, and Hex does what he is best at - namely kicking all kinds of ass, Arkham does the same and psychologically profiles his new partner. This narration offers the reader a look into the man known as Jonah Hex - or maybe not, as Arkham might not have all the answers. At the same time, we are witness to Arkham's own peculiarities, as he is a sore thumb among the denizens of old Gotham. And this play off of one another makes for wonderful reading.

Fans of Batman will certainly recognize the names contained herein. Even as I am not big on the Bat, I still was able to identify the surnames of said characters. Wayne, Cobblepot, of course Arkham, and probably a few others that I missed all added to the attraction this book offers.

The price-point of being $3.99 must be touched upon, as a vast majority of the DC Relaunch are "holding the line at $2.99." While the previous 3.99'er, Men of War, had a back-up to justify the extra cost, All-Star Western simply added pages for the benefit of the story - and a benefit it was. More than a few of the New 52 seem to just "drop" at the end. My only fear is that, again similar to Men of War, the characters may not be (or may be?) as widely known, leaving some to disregard it at the newsstand - their loss, mind you.

So getting back to my question, have Gray, Palmiotti and Moritat succeeded in adding another new DC book to my already ever-growing collection? Why, yes they have. Moritat's art is the perfect compliment to the writing as it reflects the simple, yet struggling nature that All-Star Western presents. We are given a mysterious, instantly likeable and relatable anti-hero in the form of Jonah Hex coupled with the peculiar, almost humorous (at least to me) Amadeus Arkham set against a familiar surrounding. It's a little something old is new again. In short, it works.

And I'm hooked!

More info:
    Writer: Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti
    Art: Moritat
    Colors: Gabriel Bautista
    Letterer: Rob Leigh
    Cover: Moritat

Publisher:

Sep 29th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Sep 29th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Title: The Savage Hawkman (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Tony Daniel (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Chris Bushley (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" All in all, a good book, but just not for me."

Review: The Savage Hawkman #1
    Carter Hal may still technically be Hawkman, but this is far from the Hawkman that I remember! Besides the Nth metal and ties to archeology, nothing is the same, and normally I would be ecstatic about all the possibilities. But this book really did nothing for me.

Not that it was a bad read or had bad art. On the contrary, I loved Philip Tan's art on this book! It brought an edgier feel to the tale, one that helped give depth to Carter's inner demons. And Daniel's story was intriguing, but unfortunately, just not my cup of tea. I like my Hawkman more grounded and visceral, swinging a mace and crushing enemies with a single blow! But this issue has turned in a different direction, one that will probably thrill alot of CBN readers because this Hawkman is more alien in nature!

That's right, a bit of cosmic has entered the world of Carter Hall! And even though I didn't appreciate the caliber of the story, I did appreciate the fact that Daniel and Tan are trying to breath new life into a character that deserves a chance again.

So, all in all, a good book, but just not for me.

More info:
    Writer: Tony Daniel
    Art: Philip Tan
    Colors: Sunny Gho
    Letterer: Travis Lanham
    Cover: Philip Tan

Publisher:

Sep 29th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Sep 29th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Title: Netherworld (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Bryan Edward Hill and Rob Levin (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: manfromdc (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" 7.5 out of 10. Buy It."

Review: Netherworld #1
    You know how when you are at the comic shop and flicking through a bunch of new number ones on the racks, it’s the art that makes you pick up a particular book. Well Netherworld is just the comic you’re looking for.

The first issue of this new Top Cow limited series starts off fairly well and delivers a very solid read. Netherworld #1 is a crime noir style story that focuses on a bounty hunter named Ray Parker who is given the task of finding a woman by the name of Madeline. One of the twists to the story is Ray is given this task from two separate people. When Ray finds Madeline the reader discovers that not all is what it seems.

Hill and Levin’s story is a fast paced one and manages to deliver a surprise ending, something unusual in comics for this day and age. I liked that fact that it was a fast read but still was able to maintain my interest. The panels flowed from one to the other and the writers let the dialogue and action tell most of the story. One thing I think is worth mentioning is that Hill and Levin didn’t bog down the story’s flow with an over saturation of netherworld elements, rather going the more polished route by telling a simple story well.

Tony Shasteen’s artwork is fantastic. His style is somewhat reminiscent of Tony Harris, which should help give you an idea of how good he is. He brings a ton of detail and backgrounds to his panels which only enhances the richness of the read. I can’t reiterate enough how important backgrounds are to a comic and it seems like a lost art nowadays. Tony Shasteen artwork and use of background is what makes Netherworld a must read and piqued my interest in this series. One good example of Tony’s style is he drew wallpaper in Ray’s apartment and it even shows up in subsequent panels. Not only does this illustrate what a talent Tony Shasteen is but also shows us he is aware of continuity. Not necessarily something one would expect from a new artist.

Netherworld is currently only a five issue limited series. If the buzz gets out on this book and its upcoming artist it may end up being a full series it the near future. I’m looking forward to the second issue and how this book progresses.

7.5 out of 10. Buy It.

More info:
    Written by Bryan Edward Hill & Rob Levin
    Art from Tony Shasteen

Publisher:

Sep 29th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Sep 30th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Title: Teen Wolf (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): David Tischman (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Sam Moyerman (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This book is filled with cringeworthy cliches, stale, generic characters, and nothing that makes it stand out."

Review: Teen Wolf #1
    Originally a movie in the 1980s written by Jeph Loeb and starring Michael J. Fox at the apex of his popularity, Teen Wolf is back. Updated and made into a TV show, and this comic based on it, some obvious changes have been made. Some are understandable, some are unforgiveable. This isn't my Teen Wolf, that's for sure.

Scott McCall was a normal teenager. At least as normal as things can be for a teenager. Then he was bitten by a werewolf and became one himself. Now he has to keep his transformations and problems therein a secret from family, school, and the girls he's trying to bed. All while trying to understand just what is happening to him and avoid those who hunt people like him. Kind of puts getting through geometry into perspective.

When you go from the 1980s to 2011, there are going to be necessary changes. And when you switch from a movie, with a set starting and end point, to an organic type of storytelling like television and comic books, more liberties must be taken with a story. So for fans of the original, there really isn't much recognizable here outside of there being a teenager who turns into a werewolf. But whereas the original was a comedy that tried to make us laugh at how different we can be, how hard growing up is, and how family sometimes (oftentimes? always?) seems to get in the way, this new update has gone into a much different direction. Gone is the comedy. Gone is the "nerd" just trying to fit in and be popular. In their place we have angst, anger, and darkness. It's as if someone took the concept of Teen Wolf and Twilighted it. Or perhaps they were trying to do for Teen Wolf what was once done with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Except they don't quite have the Whedon magic. This book is filled with cringeworthy cliches, stale, generic characters, and nothing that makes it stand out. Well, except for the omniscent third person narration that ironically went out of style in the 1980s. I wonder if there's a real plan for this narration, because here it seems sloppy and, even worse, lazy.

The artwork here can face similar complaints to the story. The storytelling is simple, but at least it's easy to follow. The character design is plain and generic, which should most certainly not be the case. This is a chance to have fun and yet it seems to be forced into the dark corners of the world. The inking is overdone, complicating what could be clean linework and disrupting any individuality the characters could take on. If not for the melodramatic situations of the characters, readers wouldn't know their emotions at all.

Teen Wolf, as a property, was never landmark. It held no real impact and effect on people. But at least it was fun and had heart. This new update lacks any of that. Jeph Loeb and Michael J Fox need to return and save the property.

More info:
    * Words: David Tischman
    * Art: Stephen Mooney
    * Inks: Stephen Mooney
    * Colors: Adam Chong

Publisher:

Sep 30th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Sep 30th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Title: Haven (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Leonardo Ramirez (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Mark Poe (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This is a quality book I highly recommend."

Review:
    I was thrilled when Leonardo Ramirez asked me to review a pre-publication copy of his first 3 chapters of the Haven Graphic Novel last summer! So much so I wrote a review on my blog for Mega Comics Group about those 3 chapters before reading the whole story! I then purchased my own copy as soon as the publisher released it. I am happy to say I was dead on on right about this book!

Leonardo Ramirez, Lenny as he is better known on Facebook, has written a supernatural thriller here with a very direct style of writing. I could not stop once I began reading. The mystery and intrigue kept me guessing from page to page and in the end, I still wanted more. So I recommend you don't start reading this book at night right before bedtime or you will be up awhile... like I was. ;-)

The story is easy to follow with a clear narrative and realistic dialogue. Mr. Ramirez does not shy away from controversy right out of the gate, portraying the main character's molestation in the first few pages of the gripping tale. This is not some cheap excuse to show some skin, however, the author deals with the issue in an honest, sensitive manner without candy coating the horror. There is no doubt about what has happened. Although Haven is apparently betrayed by someone known to her family it's very evident, the attacker was influenced by the families enemies, the Aristocracy! An ages old battle is renewed as the Aristocracy launches the first attack directed at Haven personally, for reasons she and the reader learn as the plot unfolds. The timing of the attack is when Haven is most vulnerable, having just come from attending her mother's funeral. At this point, the reader may wonder if the death of her mother, was also designed by the Aristocracy. Mr. Ramirez is very skilled in revealing just enough information to keep the readers attention with a natural progression of events in order to find the answers. This graphic novel could easily spin off into a series if readers demanded it.

The art is well done and reminds me of some of the great stories from Mark Texeira's run on Marvel's Ghost Rider, perhaps with a touch of Bill Sienkiewicz. Davy Fisher tells the story with a pace which is well thought out and easy to follow. The character design and special effects are great! The color is well balanced, which is not so common these days in comics whether they be independently published or from the big two. Some colorists seem to lack the talent of understanding contrast. That is, if there is no contrast between the characters in the foreground and in the background, all of the art tends to get lost in a sea of mediocrity. This is not the case with the excellent work of Mr. Fisher.

This is a quality book I highly recommend. I would put it along side anything Marvel, DC or even Darkhorse or Image have to offer.

More info:
    Written by Leonardo Ramirez
    Art by Davy Fisher

Publisher:

Sep 30th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Sep 30th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Title: The Indifference Engine (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Cy Dethan (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: scifipulse (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" What a great comic!"

Review:
    Being a science fiction fan, I sometimes ache for a comic that will challenge my perceptions of the world, of the universe, of my way of thinking. While I enjoy reading comics immensely, not many of them really fill my SF needs. Oh, occasionally one like Rest from Devil’s Due or Unique from Platinum Studios will come along and make me think about multiverses and ask my beloved question, “What if?” But not many really accomplish that.

The Indifference Engine, written by Cy Dethan (Cancertown) with pencils by Robert Carey, scratches that itch spectacularly, thank goodness! It is being produced by Markosia, and it is well worth accessing and reading.

Synopsis:’ “My name is Alan Blake. I’ve got no resources, no skills and no friends.But if I were you, I’d be the very last person on Earth I’d want coming after me…”

Responding to a strangely specific job advertisement, a distinctly ordinary twenty-something suburban slacker finds himself in the middle of an inter-dimensional task force staffed entirely by superhuman alternate versions of himself. Struggling to fit in, he uncovers a conspiracy that strikes at the very heart of the organisation–a conspiracy that only he can stop.

Alan Blake, by any credible standard, is a waste of good skin–a directionless and ambitionless slacker whose single most notable characteristic is that he makes other people feel good about themselves in comparison to him.

Alan considers himself a good listener, but it’s more complex than that. It’s almost like he absorbs other people’s problems and somehow unburdens them. If he weren’t such a loser, that one character trait alone could have made him immensely popular. Still, at least he serves a purpose of sorts. Whatever your own personal flaws or failings, hey–it could be worse. You could be Alan Blake.

Review: The four-issue series starts with two men who look very much alike falling from a skyscraper window. That’s important to remember as you read on.

Basically, the comic is about we influence each other as human beings, and how we look at ourselves. Alan Blake seems average enough, but he’s able to talk people into and out of things that he really shouldn’t be able to do. Looking for purpose in his life, he discovers that he is something special in the world–in fact, all of him are!

It comes down to two groups, the Infra-reds and the Ultraviolets, who are both after “our” Alan Blake for different reasons. But Alan gets to meet his maker, in a sense, who gives him a purpose and a destiny that he never expected.

The story is gripping, and the pacing of the storytelling is quick and fervent even during the explanations of what is going on. I couldn’t stop reading it! My impression of the art was that, while it fit the mood, was a little sketchier than I like. But my biggest quibble, since I’m a proofreader by profession, is that several words, including some two-letter ones, are actually divided into two! I hope someone will fix that for future versions.

I hear that Indifference Engine is something of a departure for Mr. Dethan, but I hope he continues to make trips like this on a regular basis. I LOVED having to pay attention and taking my time to keep track of what was going on. I LOVED the pay-off at the end as well. It’s a great mental exercise–my brain was tired for a long time after reading it. In fact, I LOVED that, too! What a great comic!

More info:
    Story: Cy Dethan
    Pencils: Robert Carey
    Colours: Mel Cook
    Letters: Nic Wilkinson

Publisher:

Sep 30th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Nov 4th, 2011, 2:48 pm.
Sep 30th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Title: Casanova Quin (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Matt Fraction (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: tonyrak (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Make no mistake: Casanova is essential reading. It will challenge you, amuse you, and give you some great things to think about."

Review: Casanova #1
    Like most Good Things in comics, I would argue that we can blame this one on Warren Ellis.

See, back in 2005, Ellis created a comic with Image called Fell, an atmospheric detective story told in an experimental format that packed more content onto fewer pages for a lower cost. A completely satisfying reading experience for Value Menu prices–a worthy experiment to pursue, right? Fraction certainly thought so, and a year later he supported Ellis’ Slimline format with the release of Casanova, a psychedelic, genre-busting tale of espionage, music, and the multiverse. Under the Image banner, Casanova enjoyed fourteen glorious issues before going on hiatus while Fraction, Ba, and Moon went on to achieve super-stardom through other projects. But the times are, as Dylan keenly observed, always a-changin’, and after two agonizing years, Casanova has been brought under Marvel’s Icon banner where it’s good and ready to remind the world why it is one of the greatest American comics we’ve got going right now. No joke.

At its heart, Casanova is the tale of Casanova Quinn, a master thief and unscrupulous rogue whose very existence is an insult to his father, the head of a superspy organization called E.M.P.I.R.E. (nope, they still haven’t explained what the hell it stands for, but does it matter?). After Casanova’s sister, the apple of her father’s eye and an operative in his organization, is killed in the line of duty, Casanova is abruptly kidnapped from his dimension by Newman Xeno, the bandaged kingpin of a criminal organization called W.A.S.T.E. (nope, don’t know what that one means either, but whatever) and dropped into a parallel universe where he is dead and his sister is an evil bitch working for Xeno, who now wants our Casanova to work for him as a double agent in his parallel-father’s organization.

Got all that? Yeah, me neither. But that’s okay because Casanova is back to blow our freaking minds, and we need that kind of Weirdness in our comics.

This comic is about so many things: fathers and sons, love and hate, redemption, greed, egos and faith and the perils of screwing with time and space. And it’s a comic influenced by so many things: rock music, beatnik poetry, James Bond, science, religion, books, comics, the aesthetics of Genres and the ambiguity of Love. And it does it all with such brazen, assured coolness and ruthless swagger that you hardly realize it’s a story that’s trying to tell you meaningful things. It’s also a record of Fraction’s life, of the things that were on his mind and the ideas and music and comics he was feeling passionate about at the time he was writing each script. There’s a kind of honesty to the way he’s let us into his world that I really identified with when this comic first came out, and I’m really grateful to see that vibe continues here in the back matter of this issue.

Casanova is a deeply literate story and every page is packed with content that makes this plot befuddling and captivating at the same time. I first became aware of Ba and Moon through this comic, and it really speaks to their skills how they can take Fraction’s dense scripts and bring them to life with a style that is both effortless and insanely attractive to admire on the page. Moments like Ba’s panels of Casanova being ripped through multiple dimensions or his psychic battle with Fabula Beserko, or Moon’s drug-infused sex scene or the pregnant pause he constructed as the nurse’s heart slowly broke in two, I don’t care, take your pick, they’re all so gorgeously rendered that they easily tell the story in poignant ways that Fraction knows his words simply can’t do justice. And that, I feel, is just part of what makes this comic so damn cool and necessary in the industry right now.

Make no mistake: Casanova is essential reading. It will challenge you, amuse you, and give you some great things to think about. I strongly encourage you to take the trip and enjoy the ride. This is comics storytelling ay its finest and weirdest.

More info:
    By Matt Fraction (writer)
    Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon (artists)
    Cris Peter (colorist)

Publisher:

Sep 30th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Nov 4th, 2011, 2:42 pm.
Oct 1st, 2011, 2:17 pm

Title: Love And Rockets (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Gilbert & Jaime Hernandez (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Bob (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Love & Rockets isn't quite like anything else in comics."

Review:
    Love & Rockets isn't quite like anything else in comics. That may put off some readers. Where's the punchlines? Where's the pulse-pounding action sequences?

There's quite a few reasons to persevere past these first impressions.

* The art. Jaime is a fantastic artist. His women remind me of the poster artist Nagel; but Nagel's women, though stylish and sexy, are just models, half dead. Jaime's women are alive, and sometimes ferocious.
      His panels have the clean look of someone who only needs to draw a few lines, because he knows exactly where to draw them. The expert use of blacks makes for dramatic, stylish pages.
      * I can't think of any comic (and that includes any number of autobiographical comics) which has the sense of the real that Jaime creates. His characters talk, act, argue, and love like real people: Jaime is a hell of a reporter, the voice of the vatos.
      * In over 900 pages of interconnected stories, featuring over 180 characters, you'll find nary a stereotype or cliché. It's a million miles away from the sitcoms-- or Marvel comics-- where you have a token Hispanic or Lesbian, and the producer's sensitivity consists in showing how exactly like the mainstream they are. You want Hispanics? Jaime's got about 70 of them, ranging from wetbacks to punkers to wrestlers to prosolar mechanics.
      * You may have read a hundred pages, and fallen in love with Maggie or Hopey or both, before it hits you that you're experiencing that damn Multiculturalism they warned you about. And you learn that it's nothing to be afraid of. Quite the opposite: it's a breath of fresh air. Instead of one more comic about whining white boys, or cute white families, or the zany pets owned by white people, you're invited to hang out with some cute lesbian Hispanic punk rockers. Who could resist?
      * Then there's the sophistication of the storytelling, which makes most other American comics look like Donald Duck. Jaime has realized that you don't need everything to be connected, you don't need that "The next morning..." and "Meanwile, across town" business, you don't even need to be told that you're seeing a flashback.
      * Finally-- he doesn't stand still. He could have done cute Maggie & Hopey punker stories for the rest of his life, but he didn't (and perhaps lost a lot of fans that way). His characters move on and change.

The downside of all this is that Jaime's latest work is not as accessible as, oh, say, the X-Men, which you can pick up and understand in two issues, and put down for five years, knowing that when you get back to it it'll be much the same, only worse. Plus L&R only came out 3 or 4 times a year, so it was easy to lose the thread.

The solution here is to read the trade paperbacks from Fantagraphics. Jaime reads much better in collected form anyway.

More info:
    Gilbert & Jaime Hernandez

Publisher:

Oct 1st, 2011, 2:17 pm

Oct 1st, 2011, 4:43 pm

Title: Cowboys (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Gary Phillips (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Nerd of Noir (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you want some blurred-lines cops-and-robbers shit with some serious neo-western beats thrown in, Cowboys is the comic for you, dear reader, without a doubt."

Review:
    Cowboys, the latest graphic novel from Vertigo Crime, opens with two men in a Mexican standoff. There are blood and brains all around them as a shootout has just taken place. Before we learn who survives the showdown we cut back to five weeks previous, find out that the two men are Federal agent Tim Brady and cop Deke Kotto, both of whom are placed undercover at different ends of a massive criminal conspiracy with neither aware of the other’s existence. As their separate investigations heat up and they become recognize of one another merely as their false underworld identities, the reader’s need to know the result of their final confrontation becomes fucking unbearable.

As written by Gary Phillips (The Jook) and drawn by Brian Hurtt (The Sixth Gun Image ), Cowboys is truly a no-bullshit western in the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott tradition only set in the modern day. (Oh and if you don’t know about the RANOWN westerns directed by Boetticher and starring Scott, fucking netflix that shit immediately.) Deke and Brady are men of no small flaws personally and professionally, but who will ultimately do the right thing in the end, no matter how violent it may be or costly it is on their lives or soul.

Gary Phillips keeps these characters at the fore of a complex world of criminals and cops, drug runners and terrorists, music moguls and fading starlets. I’d argue there’s almost too much story for such a small book, but the pacing and dialogue carried me through this motherfucker too fast to really dwell on it. Brian Hurtt does wonders with the stark black and white format that has become Vertigo Crime’s trademark, making the characters and their world pop on one page, then making the sex sexy and the violence nasty on the next.

Not all of the Vertigo Crime titles have completely hit with me, such to the point that I’ve been out of the loop on the series for a while now. But out of those that I’ve read, Cowboys easily stands tall with Jason Starr’s The Chill as one of the best to date. If you want some blurred-lines cops-and-robbers shit that feels like an episode of The Shield with some serious neo-western beats thrown in, Cowboys is the comic for you, dear reader, without a doubt.

More info:
    Written by Gary Phillips
    Art by Brian Hurtt
    Letters Clem Robins

Publisher:

Oct 1st, 2011, 4:43 pm

Oct 2nd, 2011, 7:26 am

Title: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Andy (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you call yourself a Turtles fan, support this book!"

Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1
    Three months have passed and the moment of truth has finally arrived. The verdict? IDW’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, which debuts today, has far exceeded all expectations. The recipe to its success is best stated by associate editor of the book, Bobby Cunrow, in his afterword:

“This book is a true collaboration, and seeing all the pieces come together is a real pleasure. ”

True to how the Turtles operate, this reboot of the 1980s’ most successful franchise is a team effort, and it shows. Original Turtles co-creator, Kevin Eastman, brings to the table a sense of history, while new writer Tom Waltz and artist Dan Duncan provide an adult dosage of “fresh” any TMNT fan can appreciate. For newbies, this issue delivers everything you need to give the Turtles a go, and for the TMNT faithful who have been anxiously enduring the regime change, this book has throwbacks and old-school references galore.

Like any comic worth reading, it begins with a battle. It’s the right way to introduce everyone, as right off the bat Waltz shows us through his storytelling that the Turtles aren’t a foursome… for now. Leo, Mikey, Don and Splinter take on a new villain called Hob, a mutant cat, who’s a much more intelligent substitute for Rocksteady and Bebop. Although, I’m hoping they make an appearance at some point. Shredder too. As the Turtles bash some skulls, with a narration by Splinter overlapping the whole scene, we learn that they have a “no kill clause,” but that doesn’t stop them from beating the hell out of the bad guys.

After the brawl, the story cuts to Raph, wandering solo for reasons unknown, and you can’t help but feel like he’s going to be the star of this series. Which is how it should be. The scene reminds me of the first movie where Raph is out on the town by himself, donning a trench coat. There’s a hilarious throwback moment to the cartoon show, as Raph is rummaging through a dumpster for some grub and finds a t-shirt that says “cowabunga.” His response? “Oh, now that’s just wrong.” And just like that, the tone for this series is set.

I’m happy to report that April O’Neil is back in her original occupation- a scientist’s aide for Stockgen Research. This was a great choice as it gives her character much more depth and creative places to go later on. I’d place her age at around 18-20, and Waltz really gets into the technical jargon with her, showing she knows her stuff. Through April, we get a new take on the TMNT origin story, as it’s she whom gives the Turtles their names, not Splinter. She clearly likes Raph the best. In the 1984 series, April assisted Baxter Stockman, the mad scientist who later becomes a villainous mutant fly. In the cartoon, Stockman was a snivelling chump of Shredder’s, possessing character traits he didn’t have in the comics. Also, for some unknown reason, when his character made the switch into the cartoon, the editors decided to change his race as well. Baxter was originally a black dude, and it’s worth noting that this new creative team stays true to his original appearance.

The off panel scenes with General Krang were a pleasant surprise. I wasn’t expecting him to show up, and technically he doesn’t as we never see his face. He’s like a cross between Ernst Stavro Blofeld and Cobra Commander. Here, General Krang is the military advisor overseeing Stockman’s research to create the first super soldier, which is naturally being tested on animals. If his scenes were to be read in Krang’s cartoon show voice, it would most definitely NOT work, which is a good thing.

The Turtles in this issue are certainly the stars of their own show. The creators tease us by keeping Raph separate from the group, but it will make the moment when all four [eventually] fight together something special. When reading this issue, I was hearing the voices from the cartoon show, and while that may be a curse for some of the other characters in the TMNT mythos, it isn’t for the main four. Actually, it’s almost like Waltz took the cartoon TMNT and everything that made the show unique and translated that into Mikey’s character, but less extreme. While the Turtles crack jokes and give off the personality traits we’re familiar with them having (Mikey’s the jokester, Raph’s the angry one, etc.), it’s much more subdued here and less crazy, which I like.

At first I was iffy about Duncan’s interpretation of the Turtles. I thought his style was cool, but the fact that they all had the same expression in the preview worried me. Well, it turns out his execution far exceeds anything I could have hoped for. His style has the same gritty presence Eastman and Peter Laird’s original run had, and I love the choice to give all the Turtles red bandannas. You can tell them apart by the color of their skin, which is different shades of green. At first, it’s not easy, but colorist Ronda Pattison does her job, and if you slow down and don’t blow through the book, your eye picks out the differences pretty quickly. Imagine if it were in black and white!

Other character show up in this issue too, like a new take on Casey Jones, and a woman in April’s lab who may as well be called Irma instead of Lindsey. It will be fun to see who else shows up throughout this series. If Ninjara from the old Archie run, or Cudley the Cowlick make an appearance, I will geekgasm.

Collectors take note that there are a number of variant covers to check out with this #1, including one by Kevin Eastman. I also recommend buying the exclusive Jetpack Comics variant cover by TMNT co-creator Peter Laird, which is available through their online store. I already purchased mine. An effort was made to track down the other store variants listed in the front cover of this issue, but unfortunately google searches turned up empty.

Overall, Tom Waltz, Dan Duncan and Kevin Eastman did an excellent job with this debut issue. It’s an electric introduction to the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for old school fans and newbies alike. To make a geeky analogy, this issue felt like the 2009 Star Trek movie- an honorable reboot that’s respectful of the source material and enjoyable in execution. If you call yourself a Turtles fan, support this book!

More info:
    Story: Kevin Eastman & Tom Waltz
    Script: Tom Waltz
    Layouts: Kevin Eastman
    Art: Dan Duncan
    Colors: Ronda Pattison
    Letters: Robbie Robbins

Publisher:

Oct 2nd, 2011, 7:26 am

Oct 2nd, 2011, 1:57 pm

Title: Brody's Ghost Book (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mark Crilley (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Lunar Dragon Gamer (Review 1 and Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This book is flawless in my opinion. All I have to say is: Keep 'em coming, Mark! "

Review:
    Review 1 - Brody's Ghost Book 01 - I just got my copy of Brody's Ghost in the mail today, and the first thing I noticed that the book overall was thinner than Crilley's other manga Miki Falls.
    But that doesn't change my opinion of the manga book. Brody's Ghost is amazing!

I don't know where to begin with the detail in each panel; every detail is just astounding!
    Every location, every person, everything is just packed with amazing detail!
    The realistic manga style that is used in the book is crazy good; it slightly resembles the Death Note manga!

The story is very good so far; Brody, a poor man who lives in his run down apartment, struggles to get through life, until one day he meets Talia, a deceased girl in the form of a ghostly figure, who tells Brody of his psychic powers that he was not aware that he had.
    I cannot go any further than that; I do not want to spoil it.

Mark Crilley has done an extremely great job creating Brody's Ghost. It truly is an amazing book, although it's the only one available at the time.
    I do not know when the next book will be out, but I know I will be pre-ordering it ASAP!

If you are a fan of Mark Crilley's work Akiko or Miki Falls, then Brody's Ghost is something that you will LOVE! Buy it now!

Review 2 - Brody's Ghost Book 02 - Like the first book in the Brody's Ghost series, it is overall much thinner than Crilley's previous series "Miki Falls". I am very positive that all of the Brody's Ghost books will be at the same thickness from here on out.

Volume 2 continues Brody's life where it picked off in the previous book. In Volume 2, you get a little bit more insight at the background for the main characters, Brody and Talia.

Mark does not disappoint when it comes to detailed scenery. There are many pages filled with highly detailed city landscapes and such. Every single detail was made with incredible care. Mark should feel very proud of his work; because I am amazed by the amount of work the he put into the book.

Also like the first book, there are a good amount of action scenes where Brody has to dish out his fists on his enemies, all of which do not disappoint. Every fight scene is well delivered, and highly suspenseful.

There is a MASSIVE cliffhanger at the end of this book that will without a doubt want you to read the next book. But I will not reveal the ending in this review.
    If you want to know what it is, then pick up Brody's Ghost volume 2 in stores or right here on Amazon!

This book is flawless in my opinion. All I have to say is: Keep 'em coming, Mark!

More info:
    Writer and Artist by Mark Crilley
    Colors by Dan Jackson

Publisher:

Oct 2nd, 2011, 1:57 pm

Oct 2nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

Title: Abe Sapien: The Devil Does Not Jest (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mike Mignola and John Arcudi (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Greg McElhatton (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" As always, fun stuff."

Review: Abe Sapien: The Devil Does Not Jest #1
    One of the things I've appreciated about the "B.P.R.D." comics is that Mike Mignola and John Arcudi aren't afraid to periodically stop and jump into the past for an "untold tale" of one of the characters. For instance, we all know that Abe Sapien makes it to the present day, so for most writers the idea of telling a flashback set in 1985 would never happen. Where's the tension, right?

Well, I'll tell you where the tension is. It's in "Abe Sapien: The Devil Does Not Jest" #1.

Mignola and Arcudi are smart, because they've structured this comic in a way that never lets you stop and think for very long. We get a brief set-up, Abe goes with the new character to the old abandoned house in search of a man who's been missing for 50 years, and then... all hell breaks loose. From that moment on, Mignola and Arcudi kick the comic into high gear, with one outbreak of horror after another in rapid succession.

In other words, it's what good old fashioned horror movies did, only it's on the page instead. By keeping the threats coming at a staccato pace, you get pulled into the story and the ever-increasing danger that Abe is finding himself. By the time Abe gets to stop and catch his breath, we're almost at the end of the first issue, and Abe's momentary dropping of his guard is of course the worst thing possible in that situation. Things go from bad to worse, and it's a great stopping point until we get the conclusion next month.

I'm not familiar with James Harren's art, but I like it. The old house on the lake -- or, for that matter, Abe approaching the lake itself -- just drips with atmosphere, the perfect introduction to this isolated area. And then, of course, everything explodes and Harren's cramped, wrinkled art is perfect for what comes next. From the sheriff's ugly face to the hideous creatures lurking in the hallways (and beyond), this is anything but a "clean" or "pretty" comic. Instead it oozes style, and it's just right for a monster-palooza of a comic. And when Abe goes up against the monsters in the hallway? Let's just say there's no doubt that Harren can draw action. It comes across intensely violent and physical, and helps sell the script by upping the intensity.

"Abe Sapien: The Devil Does Not Jest" #1 is a great opening to the mini-series; if the second half is just as strong, it'll be yet another strong addition to Mignola's little comic book universe. Who says you can't tell a flashback story and still make it tense? I feel like I'll be on pins and needles until the conclusion shows up. As always, fun stuff.

More info:
    Writer: Mike Mignola & John Arcudi
    Artist: James Harren
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Cover Artist: Dave Johnson
    Genre: Humor, Action/Adventure

Publisher:

Oct 2nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

Oct 2nd, 2011, 2:50 pm

Title: Emma (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): NANCY BUTLER (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: CBR News Team (Review 1) Big Tim (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Does true love await for our troubled matchmaker?"

Review:
    Review 1 - EMMA #1- Emma Woodhouse, a young privileged woman living in nineteenth century England, has delved into the world of match making! Join New York Times best-selling writer Nancy Butler (Sense & Sensibility) and rising star artist Janet K. Lee (Return of the Dapper Men) this March as they bring to life one of Jane Austen’s most regarded stories like you’ve never seen before, Emma #1! Despite her best intentions, Emma may think too much of her own matchmaking abilities but it won’t stop her from sticking her nose where it doesn’t belong.

“Emma's foibles are OUR foibles, and many of us can relate when her earnest but misguided efforts to "fix" her friends go awry.” says writer Nancy Butler. “Some of us have even discovered, as Emma does, that the perfect partner was right under our noses. Ultimately, Emma's journey toward wisdom and maturity reveals insights we can all benefit from.”

Artist, Janet K. Lee couldn’t adds, “Some people geek out about baseball stats, others geek out about Star Trek – I however, geek out about Jane Austen. Getting to play in her world is a geek-girl's dream come true!”

Does true love await for our troubled matchmaker? Find out this March in Emma #1!

Review 2 - Emma #2 - Emma #2 was a really tough read for me, so this review probably won’t be a very long. It’s not a bad book, by any stretch of the imagination. It’s just not for me.

I’ve been reading and collecting comic books for more than twenty years; over half of my life. So I know a badly-written comic when I read it and I know bad art when I see it. Emma is neither of these.

I tackled this book because I thought I had gotten used to a book of “talking heads” after a few years of reading Bendis’ work. I got through four pages and had to put it down. From what I hear, Nancy Butler is doing a great job translating Jane Austen’s beloved story from novel prose to comic book page. But I personally found it boring.

Again, this isn’t a stab at Butler or her work. It’s just that the content doesn’t float my boat.

And the same can be said of Janet Lee’s art. It was nice. It wasn’t a chore for my eyes to take in. It was aesthetically pleasing and told the story. It did its job… well. But I just couldn’t get into it.

I take my hat off to Marvel Comics for going out on a limb and doing something outside the superhero genre. I really do. But classic Jane Austin in any way, shape, or form is just not for me (except maybe the upcoming Sense and Sensibility and Zombies film that’s apparently in the works; That I’ll watch with glee).

I really want to make clear that I’m not poo-pooing this book. My head is screwed on well enough to know that just because I don’t personally like something, doesn’t mean its a piece of crap. It only means its not for me.

So I give this book a three out of five comic book nerds.

As I said, Emma isn’t a bad comic book. It’s a good book that I’m obviously not the target audience for. If you love that romantic stuff from two-hundred years ago? Give it a try. If I was into Jane Austen, I’m sure this would be a much higher rating, but I’m not… so it isn’t.

More info:
    Written by NANCY BUTLER
    Art and Cover by JANET K. LEE

Publisher:

Oct 2nd, 2011, 2:50 pm

Oct 2nd, 2011, 6:40 pm

Title: R. A. Salvatore's DemonWars - Trial by Fire (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Scott Ciencin (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: 97jedi (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It has typical great Salvatore prose"

Review:
    In both the collection of comics and the original Salvatore short story, this new format graphic novel is a great buy. First, the artwork of the comics is excellent. Bringing to life the rich world of Corona, consisting of eight Salvatore novels, the comic series collected here provides a great visualization that does not conflict with that of the novels. The story follows that of Andacanavar, the Norseman ranger trained by the Elves, upon his return to his people after being trained far from home for nearly his entire life. The story has two other main characters, Moira, an Abellican Sister, and Grave, a Bloody Cap Powrie Dwarf. They are united somewhat by coincidence to rescue the abducted daughter of the Norse king. The combat visuals are as vibrant as those conceived by Salvatore in his novels, with the same sources of treachery as one might expect.

The short story is a nice background for Grave, telling a tale of Powries and pirates combining their skills to sink a third ship. Of course, the pirates were perhaps stretching the bounds of credulity in trusting the Bloody Caps. It is nice to see that some get their just desserts. The story is pretty brief however, likely due to the format in which it's presented, but it has typical great Salvatore prose, telling the first story focused on a Powrie.

More info:
    Creator: R. A. Salvatore
    Writer: Scott Ciencin
    Artist: Ron Wagner

Publisher:

Oct 2nd, 2011, 6:40 pm