The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Nov 29th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Title: Boneyard (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Richard Moore (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Joanne (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I thoroughly enjoyed this collection and will definitely be picking up the next ones. "

Review: Boneyard Volume 1
    Synopsis - Michael Paris has inherited a plot in the remote town of Raven Hollow. As he arrives, he gets to find out what a doozie that is. He’s basically inherited a cemetery that the villagers want razed! Why? It’s haunted with apparently frightening creatures putting a curse on the whole town! But when Paris actually gets to meet some of the denizens of his inherited headache, it turns out that they ain’t all that bad (the vamp, in fact, is quite cute) and maybe the evil is not where it may seem… Spoofs all the clichés of the horror genre!

My Thoughts - Boneyard Volume 1 is another graphic novel I picked up while at the library. Knowing nothing about this comic beforehand, it took nothing more than a brief glance through the pages for me to know I would love this.

The basic premise is simple enough looking at first, but within this first volume there are many clues that make me think this story line will develop into a very strong plot. Michael Paris does indeed inherit a graveyard from a grandfather he never got to know. And this particular cemetery has a whole crowd of interesting, albeit strange, characters. Abbey, the vampire lady, is a wonderful leading lady. She’s classy, smart and obviously in charge. Another chick living in this boneyard is Nessie, an incorrigible flirt, despite the fact that her husband Brutus is always watching silently. There is also a group of poker-playing, alcohol-swilling guys who take Michael Paris out for a night on the town (Undead Nudie Bar included). There’s many other characters running around, but along with Abbey, my favourite had to be Edgar, the talking, snobbish and quite hilarious raven.

This first volume in the series did a bang-up job of introducing the citizens and setting of Raven Hollow. It set in motion some sub-plots that I hope to learn more about in future issues, such as; how Paris’s grandfather came to be the caretaker, a possible romantic angle and the threats facing the boneyard itself. Also intriguing is the mystery surrounding how the graveyard came to be the home of these paranormal beings.

Along with a solid storyline, great characters, witty dialogue and lots of humour is the gorgeous artwork. I loved that these illustrations are lighter in tone than most graphic novels. They have a cartoonish feeling to them that blends well with the more mature tone of the writing. A good example would be Abbey, she is a vampire that manages to come across as sexy, but innocent – not the typical femme fatale. Ralph, a werewolf, who wears a leather jacket and studded dog collar looks like a big puppy dog playing ‘the bad boy’, but when he gets mad his wolfish side is clearly evident. With wonderful details and a warm palette of colours this is a real treat.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this collection and will definitely be picking up the next ones.

More info:
    Xritten by Richard Moore

Publisher:

Nov 29th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Dec 3rd, 2011, 5:07 pm.
Very nice reviewed, 5wrz$ reward. Thanks Zach!
Nov 30th, 2011, 6:50 am

Title: Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Bill Willingham (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Richard George (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall is noteworthy for many reasons. "

Review:
    We are enchanted as Snow White tells tales of wolves and princes.

This will come as no surprise to the devoted Fables fans, but 1001 Nights is a masterful collection of short stories. Each story illuminates a detail of creator Bill Willingham's imaginative and fascinating world, and all of the stories are bound together by the narration of Snow White. Whatever books you might be reading, whatever trades you are waiting for, few will compare to this.

Fables is a landmark achievement in comics. 1001 Nights is a brilliant extension of that success. For those who already pour through the marvelous monthly books, 1001 Nights is an obvious purchase. For those who have never set foot in Fabletown, 1001 Nights is the perfect introduction. Once again, Willingham and his team have crafted something that can be read by anyone of any level of familiarity. You have no excuse not to read this masterpiece anthology.

As a relatively young intellectual property, Fables is instantly familiar to readers of all ages. After all, we are talking about such legendary names as Snow White, the Big Bad Wolf, the Seven Dwarves, and so many more. We know these names and we know their infamous tales. There is instantly a bond between any reader and these characters. One of the greatest hurdles of any new series is to lure readers into its world. That is not an easy thing to achieve. Why should I step into this new world when I'm so familiar with Spider-Man or Batman? Fables fixes this problem. Even more beneficial to this brand is the fact that Disney has immortalized so many of them on film. There is nothing more delightful, in a perfectly twisted way, when you realize the devilish twist Willingham inserts into the classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarves tale. Fables and 1001 Nights are definitely not written with children in mind, though it helps if these tales were your childhood favorites.

1001 Nights rests on the stories of Snow White. In the earlier existence of Fabletown, Snow White is sent as an ambassador to the Arabian Fable worlds. Her goal is to secure the assistance and resources of the eastern lands in order to wage war with the Adversary. For those not familiar with Fables, our main characters (Snow White, Prince Charming, Mowgli, etc.) are refugees from their own world. They have been driven to our world by an evil force, labeled by the citizens as the Adversary, and his army. They are considered traitors to the empire, and are now forced to make due in the world of humans, also known as "mundane people" or "mundies."

Back in Nights, Ms. White is not treated well. Due to different customs, she is seen as offensive and isolated in an obscure portion of the sultan's palace. White is both bold and determined and after many attempts, secures an audience with the leader of the Arabian lands. Unfortunately for White and her hopeful people in New York City (where Fabletown is secretly tucked away), the sultan is not eager to listen to her plea. He is more interested in what is underneath her clothing. Worse yet, royal custom places White's life in danger the morning after the sultan beds her. Thus begin our stories as the Fabletown Ambassador attempts to prolong her life by enchanting the devious leader with magical tales.

As I mentioned above, 1001 Nights is perfect for any reader, Fable fan or not. Bill Willingham writes an introduction that will educate even the most clueless person. The tales exist independent of each other, and there is no need to be familiar with the 50-plus issues of the main series that have been released. In some ways this graphic novel is a better introduction to the comics than the first trade. Here you will read a variety of tales covering many inhabitants of Fabletown. From the aforementioned Snow White to the Big Bad Wolf to King Cole, new readers will see a veritable Who's Who of the Fable universe. Longtime fans of the brand will appreciate the variety because it sheds light on everyone rather than focusing on some of the more dominant players in the main storyline.

The stories themselves are a delight to read. Snow White's initial predicament is told through prose, with illustrations along the border, similar to regular series artist Mark Buckingham, by artists Charles Vess and Michael Wm. Kaluta. The other stories are told in dream-esque sequences, shifting away from our two main characters (White and the sultan). The arching narrative featuring them is woven between some of the stories, serving as excellent transitions. The contributors in this anthology are too numerous to mention, but there are some truly big names both in comics and fantasy illustrations. Naturally, given the caliber of the artists involved, the artwork is both stunning and perfectly suited for each tale. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the cover, by Fables veteran James Jean, is unequivocally gorgeous. Editors assembling collections and anthologies should regard 1001 Nights as a high mark for both the fantasy genre and collected trade format.

While all of the stories are enjoyable in their own way (even the disturbing ones), two really stood out. "The Fencing Lessons" is a great whodunit that sheds light on the earlier days of the Snow White/Prince Charming relationship. Willingham does a great job here, writing a story that stands on its own merits while answering some questions that fans have been begging for since the beginning of the main series. "The Runt" is another classic tale. This one definitively answers the question of how the Big Bad Wolf became so bad. Again, fans will be eager to discover these secrets while newcomers will still enjoy the narrative and have a different experience as they catch up through the trade collections.

Rating: Must Have

Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall is noteworthy for many reasons. It's a great anthology in an industry that seems to avoid collections of that nature. The storytelling and art is absolutely stellar. Newcomers will find Nights perfectly accessible while fans will eat up some of the details. This is the perfect format for supplemental Fables material, not the dreary and dull Jack of Fables. Coming hot on the heels of the Vertigo-branded Pride of Baghdad, Nights is another brilliant addition to the mature label's ranks. If there is any justice in this world, these will not be the last compilation of tales we see from this world. Snow White might run out of legends in 1001 nights, but there are plenty of other storytellers in

More info:
    Written by: Bill Willingham
    Art by: Various

Publisher:

Nov 30th, 2011, 6:50 am

Nov 30th, 2011, 8:58 am

Title: Fables Special Edition (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Bill Willingham (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: abu george (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This book is one of those stories that just gets better each time you read it."

Review: Fables Deluxe Edition vol. 1
    If you're a fan of fairy tales this is right up your alley. I think readers will have a greater appreciation for the story if you are familair with fables, folklore and fairy tales. This is one of those "I can't believe they didn't think of this before" ideas. Let's tell a story about what happened to fables after they lived happily ever after ... and you know what? things didn't turn out quite so "happily" ever after. In fact, the fables have been kicked out of their homeland by the Adversary and live in a hidden community in Manhattan and upstate New York. The human-looking fables and ones that can afford speels to mask their apperances live in a Manhattan highrise called the Woodlands; while the animal fables live on a farm in upstate NY.

The first arc, Legends in Exile, deals with the murder of Snow White's sister, Rose Red. This arc introduces many of the fables and their positions within the community. We also get a glimpse of some of the personal matters of the characters: Snow White's divorce from Prince Charming, Jack of Fables's greedy nature, and Beast's revert back to beast form whenever he and Beauty have marital spats. We get an idea of the structure of Fabletown, as it's called, and who the main players are. The mayor is King Cole but Snow White, the deputy mayor, is the one pulling the strings. As shes says, the Mayor's job is to just meet and greet with everyone and put on a happy face.

The second arc, Animal Farm, introduces us to the other fables of the fable community, which live at a farm in upstate NY. These are mostly the animals, orges, trolls, etc with some humans as well; the're role being more mediator and liason between the two communities; Weyland Smith is the head honcho in charge. We finsd that a small revolution -- they like to call themselves the revolutionaries -- is brewing among the creatures as they want to build an army to take on the Adversary and reclaim their homes. The arc does a wonderful job of fleshing out these characters and providing nice background material to help us learn more what was behind their motives for this revolution.

I read this series in paperback form first and while it was still good, the art was bland, being it was printed on that non-glossy newsprint. Again, let me say what a wonderful presentation this book is. The oversized art printed on nice paper makes the art beautiful and really this is how it should be viewed. Ther're are a few just wonderfully drawn splash and double splash pages with great deatil and colors. Each character has their own distinct look and the designs for some of the well known fables -- one of my favs is the three little pigs -- is great. Each pig is distinct not only in looks but character traits as well. Props to Willingham for not just have three plain old pigs but giving each one a unique quality and voice; same goes for the art. This could of just been three similar looking pigs but size, stature, hair, color all play a role in distinguishing each one from the other.

The downside -- there's always one -- is the loooong release bewtween the editions.In the into Willingham says that these deluxe editions will be released once a year. What!? Once a tear!? Oh the horror the horror ... yes, that's the downside to trade waiting. But he also said that the true test of a great story is one that can be read over and over and over and still capture the reader's enjoyment as if it was the first time. This book is one of those stories that just gets better each time you read it. This is my fourth read through and I've enjoyed just as much as the first. So while vol. 3 is quite a ways away, we have vol. 1 and 2 to keep our fablelicious appetites quenched. (I know the paperback editions are up to vol. 13 but I feel Fables deserves to be read in deluxe format.)

More info:
    Writer: Bill Willingham
    Artisit: Lan Medina, Mark Buckingham, Craig Hamilton, & Steve Leialoha
    Colors: Sherilyn van Valkenburgh & Daniel Vozzo
    Letters: Todd Klein
    Covers: James Jean

Publisher:

Nov 30th, 2011, 8:58 am

Nov 30th, 2011, 10:18 am

Title: Doom The Comic (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Steve Behling and Michael Stewart(Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Lowtax (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" The enigma of the ages had finally been solved."

Review:
    Found buried under a stack of old greeting cards, game boxes, and rusty screwdrivers, the Doom comic book was unearthed and brought to an unprepared world.

I do need a gun. For myself. I was not ready.

I remember the unfortunate day I crossed paths with the Doom comic book, it shall forever be burned into my mind. I was walking into Fargo's office to ask him why Jeff K. was continually hanging out around the men's restroom all day, when I spotted something interesting on his desk - a colorful comic book entitled "Doom". It seemed harmless enough; the picture on the cover looked like all the images I had seen of Doom to that point, some guy in heavy armor holding a bandoleer of chaingun ammo while blowing a few rounds through a zombie's head. Fargo was on the phone at that moment, trying to brainstorm a really annoying catchphrase that would make Planetquake look like a bunch of idiots whenever anybody used it ("pweened"), so I had a seat on the couch and leafed through the seemingly harmless comic book. This thing couldn't be any worse than the normal dribble I write for Planetquake, could it?

There is no god!

The first page should've clued me into the impending horror that defines this work of crap. In huge red captions at the top of the page were such narrative gems as "There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix... with my hands!" and "Who's a man and a half? I'm a man and a half! Berserker packin' man and a half!" The Doom guy, who appeared to have had a face lift from the front cover (see above), was shoving his fist through the spinal cord of an imp with an obvious constipation problem. In the background lie the corpses of about 100 or so monsters that were apparently killed in the preface (obviously edited out for length, or maybe because the writers of this book smoke crack by the metric ton). After reading what the Doom marine was shouting ("DYNAMITE!"), I knew this book could not have been written by only one person. The workload for dialogue alone would've killed them. I looked at the credits and sure enough, it took TWO writers to pen this work of art. In case you pass the local 7-11, you may want to see if any of these guys are working there:

"Writer" (guys that got drunk and wrote random words into the empty speech bubbles) - Steve "Body Bag" Behling and Michael "Splatter" Stewart. Look, they're cool because they have gory nicknames! And the Doom comic book is gory too! Wow!
      Art and Color design - Tom "Gallows" Grindberg. He was the genius that had to make the tough decisions such as "should the blood be pink or green on this page?" and "what color is hair?"
      Lettering - Edd "Dead" Fear. This was the poor sap that had to rewrite the dribble "Body Bag" and "Splatter" scrawled on the original sketches. I bet he's in an institution now or he has taken his own life.
      Editing - The Slaughterhouse 3. I don't know who the "Slaughterhouse 3" is, but I'm assuming it's a group of people that were smart enough to not associate their name with this piece of rubbish.
      Written below that - "Justin 'Massacre' McCormack, Jeremy 'Kidney' Kove, Lisa 'Instant Lobotomy' Leatherman, Dana 'Machete' Moreshed and Bob 'Intern' Prodor all had something to do with the creation of this bloodfest." I assume those were the people that brought in wheelbarrows full of horse tranquilizers for the writers.

Below the credits (word "credit" used as loosely as possible) is the phrase "BASED ON ID'S DOOM AND DOOM II". This was very helpful, because the first time I read through this book I didn't understand the deep and complex storyline, as I assumed it was based off the hit 80's cartoon, "Jem and the Holograms", and not the popular PC game "Doom". I didn't pick up on the fact that the comic book was named "Doom", every ad in the book was for Doom or Doom 2, and "id" was stamped all over the cover. The "Based on id's Doom and Doom II" notice cleared that all up however, and I was able to sleep better that following night. The enigma of the ages had finally been solved.

More info:
    "Writer: Steve Behling and Michael Stewart.
    Art and Color design - Tom Grindberg.
    Lettering - Edd Fear.
    Editing - The Slaughterhouse 3.

Publisher:

Nov 30th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post rewarded by Ojay on Dec 9th, 2011, 6:04 pm.
Very Nice Review. 5 wrz$ reward. Thanks Zach!
Nov 30th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Title: We Will Bury You (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Brea Grant and Zane Austin Grant (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: THEoDEAD (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A story that is not going to please all shades of readers, and it isn’t trying to."

Review: We Will Bury You Issue #1
    When I first caught wind of Brea and Zane Grant’s new mini from IDW Publishing titled “WE WILL BURY YOU” my interest was not piqued from the fact that it was being co-written by the former ‘HEROES’ starlet, but the premise of the story itself. To hear the siblings talk about the series is akin to hearing a college professor lecturing on the not-so-roaring 20s to his class full of wide-eyed students. Brea, who sports a masters degree in American Studies from the University of Texas, shows off a knowledge and learnedness of the era she is writing through that is as refreshing as the premise she and her brother have chosen. “WE WILL BURY YOU” is a social commentary as opposed to a satire, and the fact that it uses zombies to compliment the fact is, well, an added bonus. Read on for the full review.

For those who aren’t familiar, “WE WILL BURY YOU” tells the story of Mirah and Fanya, two women stuck in the middle of feminist movement and the zombie apocalypse all at the same time. The two forbidden lovers share a romance hidden behind shared moments of secret rendezvous and sneak shows of affection. The year is 1927, and if you didn’t know that before you opened this book then rest assured it will be made quite apparent by the time the last panel is read. The Siblings Grant pair an exceptional knowledge of history with the beautiful throwback style of Kyle Strahm to bring readers a story that looks as if it could have been lifted straight out of a comic-strip from the same time period. Every small detail is complimented by every miniscule nuance to produce a world that gramma & grampa could even look at and feel a little nostalgic.

At its heart WWBY is the love story of two lesbian (albeit one who seems to be at odds with her sexual preference) women who are stuck in the slums of American prejudice and misunderstanding. Mirah lives with her husband who is a horrid excuse of a man that thinks the beautiful Russian immigrant Fanya has ‘infected’ his wife with lesbianism. Meanwhile the world outside is sinking into chaos as people are attacking each other in the streets and showing a peculiar lust for human flesh. These events seem to go on around the 3 leads unnoticed with their minds and emotions so tied up in their own little worlds that they neglect to see what is going on around them. When they do finally snap into reality it is after a confrontation between Fanya and Henry that ends in bloodshed. By then however the infection has spilled out into the streets and overrun the city.

Metaphorically and analytically “WE WILL BURY YOU” carries a heavy weight. Obviously the two writers had a lot to get off their chests regarding prejudice Americans and the closed-mindedness of human nature. At the same time the zombie aesthetic is not neglected, and readers are treated to some downright amazing scenes using the undead. Everything from ripped out throats and festering wounds to oral sex gone wrong are presented to readers in a fashion that is almost as humorous as it is violent and grotesque. I have heard several people motion that they were turned off by the book for Strahm’s artwork, but I say that they missed the point. Strahm’s artwork is a perfect pairing for this project because of its traditionalist look. In an age where so many artists and illustrators use PhotoShop and computer based webtools to produce their illustrations it is refreshing to see honest to God pencil on paper sketches for once. Rough, gritty, edgy, and real artwork that harkens back to the artists of yesteryear.

When all is done and read “WE WILL BURY YOU” issue #1 is a story that is not going to please all shades of readers, and it isn’t trying to. The story itself is a bit to hefty in message to be considered by casual readers, and if you’re looking for all zombie on human chaos then you probably won’t want to read this one. Because at the end of the day this is a character driven story that is trying to both set itself apart from the pack while at the same time using those same aspects that make it unique to teach readers a lesson in history and sociology. And for a story that is stepping foot into a genre that is so over populated that it threatens to explode like the belly of a decaying animal it is one thing to try at such an endeavor, but another entirely to show signs of succeeding.

More info:
    WRITTEN BY: Brea Grant and Zane Austin Grant
    ILLUSTRATIONS BY: Kyle Strahm
    COVER BY: Nate Powell

Publisher:

Nov 30th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Dec 3rd, 2011, 5:06 pm.
Nov 30th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Title: The Savage Brothers (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Andrew Cosby and Johanna Stokes (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Shawn Savage (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I love what I’m seeing here... "

Review: The Savage Brothers #1 - I had to give Savage Brothers a chance. I do share the same last name after all. The fact that they’re redneck zombie hunters in a post apocalyptic world is just icing on the cake. I love zombies. That is to say, I’ve loved zombies since before the world was taken over by zombies. More than zombies though, I love the idea of surviving in a post apocalyptic environment. I’ve always fantasized about me and my loved ones being a group of only a few survivors left on the planet, driving around from state to state, scavenging for food and supplies. I have no idea why I harbor these fantasies, perhaps I just have real disdain for the human race. What I’m getting at here, if something is set in a post apocalyptic setting, it immediately has my attention. Throw some zombies in there, and I’m sitting at half-chub.

The Savage Brothers, as mentioned above, are two redneck brothers who’ve made the best of their bad situation and now hunt zombies as a profession. They don’t really hunt zombies as one might think. It’s not for ideological reasons. They aren’t trying to rid the earth of zombies one at a time, or any such patriotism. No, they’re actually just in it for the scratch. People hire the brothers to put loved ones out of their misery that had joined the ranks of the undead. It’s actually a fairly entertaining story, and I’d love to see a motion picture adaptation of this series, as highly unlikely as that is.

Upon completion of their latest job, the brothers are confronted by some shady men in suits, to track down a doctor that is now a shambling corpse. To do so, though, means to enter the city of Atlanta, and the brothers take issue with that. The cash is ample though, and ultimately they decide to take the plunge. Upon locating their target, the brothers are greeted with a hail of gunfire. Their retreat leads them to their greatest fear about entering the city, as well as a virgin stripper in peril. Shall they ignore the situation and complete their mission? Or is a stripper that happens to be a virgin to rare of an occurrence not to investigate?

I’m really digging on this series so far, so it makes me sad to know that it only survived for three issues. The art is in that classic comic book style I remember from my childhood. It’s not flashy or overly artistic, but it is a perfect representation of the universe that it’s trying to create. The writing is engaging, and often times humorous, intentionally of course. You can really hear that classic country twang in your thoughts as you read. The characters are well illustrated, and brought to life very well by both the writing, as well as the way they’re drawn. I’m almost a little bit apprehensive to continue on into the second and third books. I love what I’m seeing here, but I know it’s not possible for them to give me everything I want in just three issues. Here’s hoping though.

The Savage Brothers #2 - In issue #2 of The Savage Brothers, we join Dale & Otis in a middle of a shitstorm of their own creation. It seems as though they’ve decided to rescue the virgin stripper, rather than leave her to her doom. A quick assault on a seemingly intelligent horde of zombies and we’re introduced to our new character, Candy. Candy is a 22 year old virgin stripper, from rural Georgia. She also has a feeling that she’s been rescued by complete morons, but is willing to take a chance, rather than be sacrificed by a a head in a jar.

Though they’re technically successful at escaping their antagonists, it’s far from a graceful execution. In fact, it’s like a bad game of mousetrap, only on mescaline. The Head has summoned his horde of the undead to hunt and kill the brothers, and to retrieve his sacrificial lamb. Meanwhile, the brothers and Candy have ducked in to a run down hotel in order to rest while they hide from the army of zombies.

The story is progressing nicely, though I’m kind of worried that the third book will be overly crammed with information, seeing as it’s the last book in the series. I’m eagerly anticipating the continuation of the story, but I wish that they could have spread it out over a few more issues. It is what it is though, and I’ve enjoyed myself too much so far to not take the final plunge. I’m certain that there will be things left unexplained, but sometimes a little mystery is a good thing.

The art design was a bit more rough this time around. It still serves it’s purpose well, but it felt like it was missing some level of definition in comparison to the first issue. Actually, it’s kind of odd. The first few pages are almost identical, and then as you flip through, it seems to become grittier, and less detailed. It doesn’t detract from the experience though, but it was noticeable. On to the third and final issue. Here’s hoping, since when we left the trio, a horde was gathering outside of their hotel room door, that we’re in for some serious excitement. I have no idea if the final issue will be overly wordy, but one would assume, considering what it would actually take to wrap this story up in an effective way with only one issue remaining.

More info:
    Written By: Andrew Cosby & Johanna Stokes
    Art By: Rafael Albuquerque
    Color By: Chris Peter
    Lettering By: Ed Dukeshire
    Cover By: Eduardo Barretto & JM Ringuet

Publisher:

Nov 30th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Nov 30th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Title: Legion: Prophets (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Scott Stewart and Tom Waltz (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Matthew Lewis, author of M... (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" You have to love those wars in heaven. "

Review:
    A war is brewing in heaven and it is spilling out onto the Earth as well. this impacts some people and allows them to see what is going on, much to their detriment. In some cases this means that they find themselves only being chased by what we might refer to as possessed people, but in other cases they find their lives pulled apart by forces outside of what they can see. The only thing they know is that the war seems to be going bad and that Uriel, now in a position of power, is on the move.
    And they seem to know where that move has taken him.

This is an advance piece leading to a movie that is supposed to come out in January. the reason i know that is because the book is littered with this idea and, if it is done well, it will be a good showing. I personally liked how the story advanced and how it played off the war with the angels and the ripples vreated here on Earth, plus I liked the prophet idea. The story was moving at a good pace because of this, was violent in certain parts, and was pretty interesting to follow. The only thing I did not like was the fact that filler slipped in here and there. This seems to be a comic problem, however, and it happens here as well. Monsters chasing people, people chasing people, people running - an implied sort of flight would work well. Still, this does not hurt the stroy enough to make it seem bad. If anything, it creates only minor ripples.

The one thing I found odd was that the collected volume came out before the comics finished their run. This means that the movie must be a "go," and people wanting to know about the movie may want to see this. Since I do not know about the project too much I do not know what this advanced look will mean, but it is interesting and I thought it worth picking up. If anything, it passes a day or so with the blood of angels and people alike, making some fun Christmas reading.
    You have to love those wars in heaven.

More info:
    Story by Scott Stewart and Tom Waltz
    Art by Alberto Muriel
    Cover by J.F. Bruckner
    Publisher IDW

Publisher:

Nov 30th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Nov 30th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Title: Legion: Secret Origin (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Paul Levitz (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Greg McElhatton (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This is a solid, entertaining book that looks fantastic. "

Review: Legion: Secret Origin #1
    When I think of stories that told the founding of the Legion of Super-Heroes, the ones that come to mind are no longer in continuity. Flashbacks from the "Five Year Gap" era of the title, or the post-"Zero Hour" team coming together are no longer on the books, of course. And with the new "Legion of Super-Heroes" comic not performing any sort of reset like most of the other comics at DC, it makes sense that we'd get something like, "Legion: Secret Origin" to help fill in the blanks.

What's nice is that Paul Levitz knows that long-time "Legion of Super-Heroes" fans already know the origin inside and out (the three founders rescuing R.J. Brande from an assassination attempt), so he takes a different tactic for this mini-series. The attack on Brande still exists, but this time we see it as almost a background detail, with the main focus on what's happening elsewhere. So instead we focus on mysterious bombs that are detonating as they're examined, one that draws Brainiac 5 and Phantom Girl into the story. The latter's presence in particular is interesting, because now she's arrived from Bgtzl (and through a wormhole, no less) to try and warn the United Planets about a great danger they're in. It's new material, and unsurprisingly it's the part of "Legion: Secret Origin" #1's script that caught my attention the most.

Levitz also introduces a troika of older, knowledgeable characters (from Earth, Colu, and Naltor) to serve as narrators. With their mistrust in Brande, it becomes an interesting choice in the viewpoint that Levitz is establishing. Brande is usually portrayed as such a great, important part of Legion history that this skeptical view of the character is an interesting tactic. It'll be interesting to see if Levitz keeps this perception of Brande throughout the mini-series, or if we'll see it shift to something rosier by the final issue.

The biggest deal for "Legion: Secret Origin" is the return of Chris Batista's pencils to a Legion project. Batista drew a thoroughly entertaining run on "The Legion" years ago (written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning) and I like his art just as much now as I did then. He and inker Marc Deering provide their trademark clean characters, with thick, luxurious hair and a crisp finished ink line. Considering that they have to create a lot of talking heads (for our narrative characters) they do a good job of making the pages look interesting, and the startled looks on Brainiac 5's face as he interacts with Phantom Girl are alone worth the price of admission.

Long time readers will pick up lots of other minor tweaks to the Legion's origin (for instance, Triplicate Girl's homeworld of Cargg seems to have gotten a slight shift in status), but for new readers there's just as much to bite into and enjoy. This is a solid, entertaining book that looks fantastic. (Tom Feister worked on some of the covers for Batista's "The Legion" run, so it's great to have him contribute a cover or two to the mini-series as well.) As a non-fan of Levitz's "early days of the Legion" story in "Adventure Comics" a year ago, this is much more up my alley. I suspect, yours too.

More info:
    Story by Paul Levitz
    Art by Chris Batista, Marc Deering
    Colors by Wes Hartman
    Letters by Dezi Sienty
    Cover by Tom Feister

Publisher:

Nov 30th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Nov 30th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Title: Spaceman (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Brian Azzarello (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Henchman21 (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you like smart science fiction with some spectacular art, Spaceman is the book for you."

Review: Spaceman #1
    Brian Azzarello. Eduardo Risso. These are two comic creators whose names create instant excitement when attached to a new project, especially when they are on the same book, as they are with their new series from DC/Vertigo, which launches this week with Spaceman #1. Azzarello and Risso are the team that brought us a landmark run with their series 100 Bullets. They were also the team for possibly the best thing to come out of DC’s Flashpoint event, with their Batman: Knight of Vengeance mini-series. So, when they start a new project, it’s easy to get me and many other comics fans excited. It’s a good thing then that Spaceman is very good, because you do not want to see a bunch of fanboys get pissed off when things don’t live up to their expectations.

Spaceman takes place in an unspecified future where technology has advanced, and man has attempted to reach Mars, but life is still pretty crappy, and people are just as obsessed with the things that we currently are, namely celebrity culture. The titular Spaceman is Orson, an apparently genetically engineered man who has given up on his dreams of space and now ekes out a life collecting scrap. Orson gets tied up in a kidnapping plot and that’s pretty much where this first issue leaves us. This issue is a good introduction to the world, explaining just enough to set up everything, but leaving the reader with plenty of questions that will hopefully be revealed later. Where does Orson come from? What has happened to the planet? Azzarello does an excellent job of establishing the world and has me interested to see where the story goes from here.

We got our first glimpse of Spaceman as an 8-page short in the pages of Strange Adventure a few months back, and at the time, I was a little disappointed by it, mostly because I couldn’t get a sense of the odd speech pattern that was used in it. The odd speech continues in this issue, but there is just more time to get adjusted to it, and it didn’t bother me as much. I don’t know if you’re like me, but I don’t always like it when writers use these kinds of weird dialects to make the setting more realistic. I can understand the use of it, as it does lend a sense of authenticity to the story, but I often feel like it is more work to understand what is being said than is sometimes worth it. With Spaceman, Azzarello has created his own form of newspeak, with characters using slang that I could see being common place in the future. Once you get into the story, it gets easier to read. Just know that if you don’t like comics that use a lot of weird words that you don’t read every day, this may not be the book for you.

The standout of this issue is of course the art by Eduardo Risso. Risso is one of my favorite artists and he does not disappoint here. His art is gritty and real and goes a long way towards setting up the world this story exists in. The world feels lived in, the way good science fiction should. There is so much detail on the page that the reader is instantly transported into the world, which makes the story that much easier to follow. Credit should also go to the colorists, whose work brings the work to life in yet another way. The colors make the art leap off the page, and also work to perfectly set the mood of each scene.

Spaceman is just another in a long string of great series created by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso. I don’t know if it’s their best work together, but it’s still better than a lot of other titles on the stands, and this first issue sets up what should be a great series. If you like smart science fiction with some spectacular art, Spaceman is the book for you. Also, it’s just a dollar, so there’s really no excuse not to at least give it a try. I’m giving this one a 4 out of 5.

More info:
    Written by Brian Azzarello
    Pencils by Eduardo Risso
    Colors by Patricia Mulvihill and Giulia Brusco
    Letters by Clem Robins
    Cover by Dave Johnson

Publisher:

Nov 30th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Dec 1st, 2011, 9:27 am

Title: Godzilla: Legends (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Matt Frank and Jeff Prezenkowski (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Destroyer 14 (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A must-buy for any Godzilla fan. "

Review: Godzilla: Legends #1
    Godzilla: Legends is one of those series where it's truly the fans who would appreciate it. At its core, the concept is like a fan-fic, Destoroyah vs. Anguirus?! As a Godzilla fan, the concept is something I've always wanted, and now it's happening in the form of Legends. The possibilities are endless. Now Godzilla himself is awesome, but it's his allies and enemies who are just as interesting and deserve tales of their own. I've been anticipating this comic for quite sometime, it may just be my most anticipated comic of the year aside from Kingdom of Monsters #1. Of course, Kingdom of Monsters has disappointed me, but Gangsters and Goliaths was an amazing mini-series, so Legends had a big thing to live up to. Does it? Yes, yes it does.

The story begins with the sudden appearance of the most devastating monster of all time, DESTOROYAH. Before the good folks at G-Force could decide what to do, the monster destroys their building. Only two make it out, and are deciding what to do when a familiar roar is heard. The spiky armadillo known as Anguirus appears, and Destoroyah wouldn't mind a little massacre. Can Anguirus hope to beat the beast? Of course not, so get ready for a slaughter.

Well first off, you have to think for a second about this concept. Destoroyah vs. Anguirus? A bit random. You see, Anguirus is no match for Destoroyah, it's like comparing an ant to a tiger. This issue was perfect in applying the monster's strengths and weaknesses, I applaud at how accurate the story was. Anguirus tried and tried, but was met with unstoppable resistance. It's good stuff, just like how a movie would be.

This being a self-contained story, there isn't much time for development of the human characters. With that said, they were pretty much your average people. You have the loyal second-in-command, the hard-as-nails commander, and the scientist that just wants to do the right thing, always mellowing in self misery. So no one truly stood out, but they weren't bad either, just your generic summer blockbuster types.

Of course, we're here to watch the two monsters battle it out on paper, and it delivers. There are some amazing scenes, such as Anguirus standing in front of the monstrous Destoroyah. One of things things that made me smile as a longtime Godzilla fan was when G-Force was talking about Anguirus's past encounters with other monsters, it showed Godzilla firing his atomic ray at him, (from Godzilla Raids Again) King Ghidorah grabbing him, (from Destroy All Monsters,) and Gigan slashing him. (From Godzilla vs. Gigan.) I love that, it makes this story canon, it was truly a treat to see those scenes referenced on paper. One amazing scene in the issue was when Destoroyah was slowly breaking Anguirus' jaw, it truly gave the mass murderer persona he has.

The art is another high point of the book, easily beating Kingdom of Monsters and even Gangsters and Goliaths. It has a certain style I like, both the humans and monsters look great. Especially Destoroyah, there are some spectacular scenes with him. He looks, as Doctor Who would say, fantastic. Anguirus also looks great, matching his look from Destroy All Monsters perfectly. The covers are also fantastic. The main one by Arthur Adams is probably the best representation of Anguirus in a comic yet. Bob Eggleton's has some really nice detail, giving off a dramatic atmosphere. (Love how Godzilla is drawn.) The one I got, by Matt Frank, is truly awesome in capturing the feel of the issue, Destoroyah looks amazing on it, and the silhouette of Godzilla in the background was a nice touch. It's in his universe, but the other two are the stars. Now if only Kingdom of Monsters could get Frank doing the art.

Overall, Godzilla: Legends #1 is one of the most simple comics I've ever read. It features a bunch of soldiers deciding what to do while two monsters duke it out, and I loved every second of it. In terms of quality, it doesn't match up to the first issue of Gangsters and Goliaths, it's mainly a fun popcorn style issue. With it's amazing monsters, great battle, and spectacular art, Godzilla: Legends #1 is a must-buy for any Godzilla fan.

More info:
    Story by Matt Frank and Jeff Prezenkowski
    Art by Matt Frank
    Colors by Josh Perez
    Letters by Chris Mowry, Michael Allred
    Cover by Art Adams, Peter Doherty, Bob Eggleton

Publisher:

Dec 1st, 2011, 9:27 am

Dec 1st, 2011, 11:43 am

Title: Terror of Godzilla (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Kazuhisa Iwata (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Anthony Romero (rewiew 1) and Michael Calhoun (submissio (rewiew 2)(Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It is a wonderfully accomplished adaptation of the manga rendition"

Review:
    Rewiew 1 - Terror of Godzilla #4 - This is the fourth issue in Dark Horse's Terror of Godzilla line, which gives a color reprinting to Kazuhisa Iwata's The Return of Godzilla manga. This particular comic deals with Godzilla's attack on Tokyo, news of the incoming soviet nuclear missile and the eventual mobilization of the Super-X along with it injecting Godzilla with cadmium missiles. Overall, this is a decent issue in the Terror of Godzilla run. It suffers a little from being obviously chopped out of a story that was never intended to be presented in a "to be continued" fashion, as there is nothing to catch readers up to speed who might have missed previous issues or are unfamiliar with the film, but it's probably not something that will bother fans of the King of the Monsters in the least. As for the art, this section of Iwata's original manga is actually a good selection of the artist's work. Yes, there are still some shots that don't look right, most of which are panels with Godzilla in them, but on the whole this issue houses some of Iwata's better done sketches for the manga. In terms of the coloring, done by Chris Chalenor, sadly it doesn't really fit this particular issue very well. The biggest problem is really the variety of colors used, as there is a very bright array present, like a lot of neon-hued oranges and yellows. It gives the book an almost "bouncy" type of feel, which clashes with the darker subject matter and the more serious tone present in The Return of Godzilla (1984). As for the comic's cover, Arthur Adams returns for another shot at the King of the Monsters, and turns in another winner. The cover to this issue depicts the Super-X hovering over the recently incapacitated Godzilla, and Adams gives his usual attention to detail in the artwork, presenting a look to Godzilla that is completely faithful with how the character appeared back in 1984.

Rewiew 2 - Terror of Godzilla #3 - This is the third issue of the six part Terror of Godzilla comic book series. Originally realized as a manga, these comics separate the story into six colorized segments. The colorization is generally proficient throughout all of the issues. Part three sees Godzilla advancing through Tokyo Bay towards the hapless metropolis. Many shots emulate the film, such as Godzilla grasping a train full of passengers and hurling it to the ground. This entry concludes with the launching of the Soviet nuclear missile, which segways into the following comic. When one gets right down to basics, there are a few things to note about this adaptation. The original artwork by Kazhisa Iwata removes the appearances of the characters somewhat noticeably from the characteristics of their onscreen personas; a subject worthy of note, even though it may be a point of relatively minimal importance in the long run. The timeline of events also seems to be somewhat shuffled, as the discovery and implementation of the avian frequency phenomenon appears to happen quite a bit later than the film. As a note to those who have only seen Godzilla 1985, the original intent to have the Soviet missile fire accidentally is restored (understandably, of course, since it was a staple of the Japanese version).

Overall, the dark tone that defined The Return of Godzilla (1984) for a generation is successfully recreated here. The cover artwork especially conveys the awe-inspiring might and presence of Godzilla, which lures in those who may frown at the potential for a mostly solo appearance by the endearing monster king. As an interesting side note, there are some intriguing aspects to the art direction; including a brief scene where Godzilla catches a glimpse of his reflection in one of Tokyo's skyscrapers. It is one of those natural happenstances that is sometimes overlooked on the film side of things, but explored more thoroughly in the medium of print. All in all, it is a wonderfully accomplished adaptation of the manga rendition of The Return of Godzilla (1984).

More info:
    Creators: Kazuhisa Iwata
    Letterer: Dan McKinnon
    Colorist: Chris Chalenor
    Translator: Mike Richardson & Randy Stradley
    Editor: Randy Stradley
    Designer: Mark Cox & Scott Tice
    Cover Artist: Arthur Adams

Publisher:

Dec 1st, 2011, 11:43 am

Dec 1st, 2011, 1:37 pm

Title: Godzilla: 100 Cover Charity Spectacular (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Alex Ross and Eric Powell (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: John Hogan (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Godzilla Smashes...but It's for Charity"

Review:
    Our friends at IDW are sponsoring a charity event that happens to be a lot of fun. Earlier this year, IDW began a promotion where retailers around the world could have their stores smashed by Godzilla and put on the cover of Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters. After the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan, they're now releasing Godzilla: 100 Cover Charity Spectacular, a collection of the 100 covers done for the event. Best of all, all of the proceeds from this $7.99 book will go to benefit the International Medical Corps for tsunami relief in Japan.

More info:
    Designed by Alex Ross and Eric Powell
    artists: Various
    colours: Matt Frank

Publisher:

Dec 1st, 2011, 1:37 pm

Dec 1st, 2011, 2:36 pm

Title: Godzilla versus Hero Zero (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Michael Eury (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Anthony Romero (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Excellent cover is done by Arthur Adams, and is probably the best part about this comic. "

Review:
    The King of the Monsters fights one of Dark Horse's homebrewed Super Heroes in the first, but not last, Godzilla crossover from Dark Horse. Hero Zero makes for an interesting opponent for the nuclear menace, but not a particularly memorable one. Hero Zero has the powers of flight and is able to alter his own size—it's most likely a coincidence that he and Jet Jaguar have the exact same powers—his true identity is a teenager called David. As far as the actual story goes, it's nothing really special: David, his Dad, and friend Billy are going to the San Diego Comic Convention when Godzilla attacks (lured there when Hero Zero flew over Godzilla, who was underwater, toward San Diego). The two behemoths fight and both appear to be pretty evenly matched; however, much to Hero Zero's dismay their confrontation causes untold casualties in San Diego, one of which is David's friend Billy, a tragedy which also causes David's Dad to realize Hero Zero's secret identity. Billy's death prompts Hero Zero to fight Godzilla in a fit of rage and he is able to subdue the creature by dropping him off at sea. Sadly, the dialogue in this comic is pretty bad, and is cause for some unintentional laughs. For example, the part where Godzilla confronts a fleet of battleships in a, short, four panel segment goes as follows: "Lord, would you look at that thing!" "Don't let his size intimidate you, men. It's up to us to keep this monster from reaching the city." *Firing, Godzilla destroys a carrier* "Holy--! Radio in tell them we just can't stop Godzilla..." Perhaps if this part wasn't so rushed it might have been better, but with only four panels dedicated to it (which takes up roughly 2/3 of a page) the dialogue comes off as comical. As for the art, it's pretty nice, except for Godzilla who ranges from looking good to decent from panel to panel. The, once again, excellent cover is done by Arthur Adams, and is probably the best part about this comic.

It should be noted that Dark Horse printed another version of this comic that featured a slightly altered cover. On this other version, the bar code is gone and in its place is a red oval with the text, "It's a must have double-bag item when the two BIGGEST characters in comics crash the SAN DIEGO COMIC CON". Other than the added word bubble, and removal of the bar code, both printings of the comic are the same.

More info:
    Written by Michael Eury
    Pencils: Tatsuya Ishida Inks: Mike Miller
    Language: English Release: 1995
    Publisher: Dark Horse Comics Pages: 32
    Colors: Pamela Rambo Cover: Arthur Adams

Publisher:

Dec 1st, 2011, 2:36 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Dec 9th, 2011, 6:04 pm.
Very Nice Review. 5 wrz$ reward. Thanks Zach!
Dec 1st, 2011, 4:46 pm

Title: Ides Of Blood (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Stuart C. Paul (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Jorge Solis (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Be sure not to miss this bloody spectacle."

Review: “IDES OF BLOOD” #1
    Wildstorm Comics’ IDES OF BLOOD has debuted as a most inventive take on Roman history and vampire fiction. The first issue delivers a thrilling mystery encompassing politics, scandal and murder.

In an alternate universe, Julius Caesar and his unbeatable army have violently conquered the Transylvanian kingdom of Dacia. The ambitious ruler has become obsessed with legendary tales about the immortal undead, and as the Romans arrive as the conquering nation, the children of the night are shackled in chains and tortured with silver. Vampires who once ran free and wild are now the eternal slaves of this repressive society.

But something is stirring amongst the enraged captives. A disobedient bloodsucker, known as the Pluto’s Kiss Killer, has been rebelling against his masters, striking at prominent Roman figures. The murderer leaves a calling card for all witnesses to see: a bloody message on the walls reading “No More Chains” that can be seen as either inspiration to the slaves or a warning to their oppressors. Brutus, adopted son of Caesar, wants to ignite a full-scale war against the vampire lower class, as no one will be safe if the workforce becomes freed from their chains. The Senate, described as a room full of jackals, must decide if they should wage a massive battle against corpses who just happen to pay taxes.

Before anarchy ignites amongst the slaves, Caesar seeks the advice from the only “person” he can trust—a bloodsucker named Valens. For two years, Valens spent his service washing Caesar’s feet, and he has risen through the ranks, facing prejudice along the way, to become the leader of the unstoppable Praetorian Guard. Caesar orders him to betray and hunt his own malevolent kind—and Valens will do so to win the ruler’s favor, while secretly having an affair with his human niece. Now playing detective, Valens attempts to chase down the stealthy serial killer, rummaging through dark alleys, barging into underground hideouts and interrogating lowly snitches. The clues lead him directly to a violent confrontation at a blood brothel, a vicious brawl between flesheating wolves and giant flying bats.

Author Stuart C. Paul has crafted a period vampire detective story that offers a unique twist on the noir genre, and Christian Duce’s artwork creates a dark and grim world, with flowing rivers of blood amidst the ancient Roman environment. The panels are stylistically washed with red and orange tones. An intriguing start to the six-issue miniseries, IDES OF BLOOD #1 captures ancient history as it provides the allure of the supernatural. Be sure not to miss this bloody spectacle.

More info:
    Author: Stuart C. Paul
    Artwork: Christian Duce’s

Publisher:

Dec 1st, 2011, 4:46 pm

Dec 1st, 2011, 9:31 pm

Title: Hellboy Junior (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Various writers.
Review source: Bookwatch (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Half the stories actually star not Hellboy but twisted variations on famous Hanna-Barbera and Harvey Comics characters"

Review: Hellboy Junior
    Hellboy’s creator gets top billing, but the writer, and often artist or colorist, of most stories in this collection is Ren and Stimpy animator Bill Wray, who brings that TV show’s depraved humor to Hellboy’s diaper days. As a baby demon still ensconced in Hell, Hellboy’s hobgoblin is that all he’s allowed to eat is roasted maggots. His adventures arise from trying to add flesh to his diet, though he doesn’t pass up smoke when offered—much to his chagrin in "The Devil Don’t Smoke." His quests are complicated by such sidekcks as a fly, a bird-demon, Donnie (a junior devil), and Hitler.

Half the stories actually star not Hellboy but twisted variations on famous Hanna-Barbera and Harvey Comics characters, such as Yogi Bear’s doppelganger, Sparky, and Baby Huey’s outrageous double, Huge Retarded Duck. (Incidentally, isn’t Hellboy Junior a takoff of Hot Stuff?) Standout artists besides Wray are Dave Cooper and—in a Wally Wood mode (see Against the Grain: Mad Artist Wallace Wood)—Hilary Barta.

More info:
    Creators: Mike Mignola & Bill Wray & Dave Cooper & Stephen Destefano & Pat McEown & Hilary Barta & Kevin Nowlan
    Cover Artist: Bill Wray

Publisher:

Dec 1st, 2011, 9:31 pm

I always wanted to read the HB kid's story. Very nice reviewed, 5wrz$ reward. Thanks Zach!