The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Dec 2nd, 2011, 9:54 am

Title: Land of the Dead (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Chris Ryall (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Kevin L. Powers (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" One of the better graphic novel adaptations currently out there. "

Review:
    An Adaptation of the George A. Romero Zombie Film

The comic book publisher has made a name for itself in the comic book industry thanks to the break out success of Steve Niles' first "30 Days of Night" series (and subsequent and endless sequels). It has now become one of the leaders in horror comics along side Dark Horse and even Marvel (especially with their ever growing Marvel Zombie titles). With there adaptation of George A. Romero's LAND OF THE DEAD this is no exception. Now compiled into a graphic novel readers can see the full film in four color glory from artist Gabriel Rodriguez and writer Chris Ryall, with colors by Jay Fotos, and amazing covers by Chris Bolton.

If you've seen the film this book doesn't stray much and in fact is the "Director's Cut" of the film restoring scenes that were cut from the theatrical version of the film (but subsequently inserted back into the DVD version).

Ryall does a capable job with the material but then again you can't really improve on Romero's writing; he does make the transition from film to comic book less noticeable like many other adaptations that I have read. It is Rodriguez' artwork that makes the book stand out as it is a great companion to the material and both Romero and Ryall's writing style. Although he does take some liberties with the representations of the actors, Rodriguez still manages to capture the feeling of each character regardless of what "actor" is playing the character. This is the greatest asset to the comic as if there had never been a film this book would still be a very good way to spend and afternoon reading.

The book, like the movie itself, is very fast paced and a quick read which is why it is better reading it in graphic novel form rather then as individual issues. Also with the graphic novel you get all of the covers by Bolton which are gorgeous and a work of art unto themselves. My only complaint is that there aren't enough extras like character sketches or sample script pages or a forward or anything else that makes buying the graphic novel worth the extra bucks if you've already got the individual issues. Sadly none of the extras are present so this would be a redundant buy for those who already have the entire five issue series.

This is a small price to pay for one of the better graphic novel adaptations currently out there.

More info:
    Adapted by Chris Ryall
    Art by Gabriel Rodriguez

Publisher:

Dec 2nd, 2011, 9:54 am

Post rewarded by Ojay on Dec 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm.
Very Nice Review. 5 wrz$ reward. Thanks Zach!
Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:39 am

Title: Neozoic (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Paul Ens (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Greg Burgas (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I didn’t love this comic, but I liked reading it."

Review:
    Oh, the high concept! Who doesn’t love high concepts?!?!?!?

As far as it goes, Neozoic has a pretty good one. In Earth’s distant past, a spaceship crashes into an asteroid and alters its course, which means it smashes into Earth’s moon instead of landing on the planet. This means there’s no environmental catastrophe and no mass extinction of the dinosaurs. 65 million years later, dinosaurs and humans exist side-by-side. Deal with it!

This trade, which collects eight issues, is written by Paul Ens, drawn by Jay Korim, colored by Jessie Lam, and lettered by (sigh) Troy Peteri (if you look at the scans, this is what I’m talking about when I say I don’t like Peteri’s work). It’s published by Red 5 Comics and comes with a price tag of $24.95, but you do get a big chunk of comics for that price. I don’t think it’s totally worth it, but it’s not a bad comic.

Ens’s story is certainly ambitious. The nominal lead is a woman named Lilli Murko, who’s there on the cover. She’s a member of the Predator Defense League, soldiers who keep the perimeter of the human settlements clear of dinosaurs. Monanti City, where the action takes place, is often besieged by the dinosaurs, so the PDL is an important and highly honored part of society. Early on the story, Lilli rescues a “Talpid,” a gray-colored girl who happens to be hanging out in the middle of a group of dinosaurs. She takes the girl back to the city, which apparently isn’t a great idea. Talpids are some kind of different race, obviously, and they’re forbidden in the city. So the girl’s people launch an attack against the Monanti (as Lilli’s people are called) and war breaks out (although, as we find out, their motivations are more sinister than rescuing the girl). That’s the main plot, as the Monanti fight against the Talpids and the dinosaurs that are under their thrall. Ens follows several characters throughout the book, as different people fight their individual battles in different ways until Lilli, who fled into the forest with the girl, returns to help with the insurrection. Because she brought the Talpid girl into the city, she’s considered a traitor, so that adds an interesting layer of tension to the proceedings – we know she’s fighting to save the city from the Talpids, but her own people don’t.

Ens also makes sure religion is an important part of the story. The Monanti worship what they call the “Triety,” and the king, Ulas, is “divinely appointed.” Ens does a good job showing that the religion is simply part of the characters’ lives while also letting us know that, like any other form of government, more secular concerns often trump spiritual concerns. Ens doesn’t explain the religion too much, but he does point out that the Monanti believe that they ought to be separate from everyone else, which is partly why Lilli bringing a Talpid girl into the city is such an affront. It’s a nice look at religious discrimination, because Ens portrays it as both a positive and negative force in the community. Which religion often is, after all.

The story isn’t too deep, of course. It’s an action/fantasy story, so Ens gives us plenty of action, from sword fights to dinosaur-killing to property damage. It’s a fun read, although Ens doesn’t really explain some crucial things. We don’t ever learn too much about the Talpids and why they look like they do. I understand that Ens probably has more stories planned (this is listed as “volume 1″ and there was a new story for FCBD this year), but even if he does give us more Neozoic, that seems kind of important. They’re apparently telepathic and have some control over the dinosaurs, but we don’t know much else. It feels like a big hole in the middle of the story. Ens also doesn’t really think too much about this society and its technological capabilities. At a few points it appears they have video cameras, but otherwise, there’s no evidence of any electronic technology, which seems really odd. Everyone fights with non-mechanical weapons (swords, bows) and they ride horses, elephants, or tame herbivorous dinosaurs. Maybe the camera isn’t actually a camera. If it is, it’s weird. And if this is supposed to be taking place in the “present” but in an alternate universe, why haven’t humans made more technological advances? Simply because of the presence of dinosaurs? It’s possible, I suppose. The cameras still bug me.

Korim is a decent but not great artist. He does a nice job with the world, which looks like a place where dinosaurs would live alongside humans. Monanti City is a riot of Asian/Middle Eastern/Meso-American architecture, and Korim has a lot of energy in his action scenes, which is good in a comic like this. The biggest problem with the art is that all the characters who are about the same age look the same. The king is bald, bearded, and old, so we can tell who he is, and Clawson is also an older man, so he’s distinguishable, but Korim draws all the young people very similar, and occasionally, with such a big cast, it’s tough to tell who’s who. Even the hair styles are similar with both the men and the women – they’re of the length that would be called “short” on women but a bit long on men, even though they’re the same length, and all the hair is a bit shaggy. The women have smaller eyes and noses than the men, but otherwise, everyone looks vaguely the same (a few men have facial hair, too, so there’s that). It’s a bit frustrating. Ens usually keeps good track of the characters, so it’s not confusing for too long, but Lilli, for instance, looks very much like Petra, so when they’re both running around kicking ass, it’s occasionally disorienting.

Neozoic is an enjoyable comic, to be sure. Ens doesn’t dig too deeply into the society of the Monanti (or the Talpid), but he does a good job showing how dinosaurs, which (from what we know about them) were pretty terrifying, would have an impact on humanity. I didn’t love this comic, but I liked reading it. Perhaps you will too!

More info:
    Paul Ens Writer(s)
    J. Korim Penciller(s)
    Jessie Lam Colorist(s)
    Comicraft, Troy Peteri letterer
    Published by Red 5 Comics. 2007-2009

Publisher:

Dec 2nd, 2011, 11:39 am

Post rewarded by Ojay on Dec 9th, 2011, 6:08 pm.
Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:41 pm

Title: Shaun of the Dead (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Chris Ryall (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Bill Sherman (Review 1) and William D. Bolden (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" The Chris Ryall/Zack Howard comic can’t replicate the deadpan humor of the movie... "

Review:
    Review 1 - The first question that arises with a comic book adaptation of Shaun of the Dead (Titan Books) is how does the graphic novel handle the flick’s great early moments: the bits where our hero obliviously makes his way around the neighborhood without once noticing that that his neighbors have become the living dead. Bottom line: while giving us plot details, the Chris Ryall/Zack Howard comic can’t replicate the deadpan humor of the movie — perhaps because it's too dependent on filmic elements (acting, pacing, camera placement) to work.

Where the British comic book succeeds (none too surprisingly, perhaps) are in the broadly comic bromance between Shaun and his doltish friend Ed — and in the straight-faced zombie attacks. Artist Zach Howard (with an ink assist by Sean Murphy) does a bang-up job with the walking dead, at times reminding us of Jack Davis’ work for the early EC comics only with more blood strewn all over the bodies, of course. It’s weak on the so-called romance between our hero and his disgruntled girlfriend Liz, but then so was the movie, so in this respect at least the comic gets it right.

Back in the fifties, when comics companies produced comic book versions of then-current movies, they worked as both promos for upcoming features and souvenirs of the moviegoing experience. Today, with the chance to re-watch the original readily available, I can’t help wondering just how big the market is for a slickly produced, redundant package like this.

Review 2 - I bought this largely for the "deleted" scenes. I knew there were some scenes involving Mary the checkout girl and others in comic form, and I was hoping they would be in this volue. No, what's here is pretty much what you saw in the movie with some of the scenes shortened. They problematically weed out some of those moments that made the movie a great mix of smart and dumb humor. Ed's "prediction" speech from the bar is gone, as his is "got wood" shirt. Pete's deconstruction of Shaun's life that leads to a lot of his attempts is gone. The two walks to the store are essentially gone (including the second one's excellent descent into ignorance no matter what). A lot of the background gags (news stations showing men in biohazard suits while Shaun looks away, for instance, or people coughing on the bus) have been overlooked, though a few new ones are in place and the timing on a lot of the jokes probably wouldn't make sense to you if you haven't seen the movie already. All in all it keeps the big story well and intact, cuts out a lot of the "drawn out" sections of the movie, and offers a few new little visuals (zombie neighbor waving sort of things, single panel additions, unless my mind is warped and I am overlooking the deleted scenes that are put back in) but really doesn't equal the completeness of the original movie. The only real plus, here, are the extras. The covers and the "pin ups" included at the back are quite well done and warrant an extra star from me on their own (hence the 4 stars instead of 3).

More info:
    Writer: Chris Ryall
    Cover: Jason Brashill
    Art: Zach Howard
    Colour: Lee Loughridge
    Letters: Robbie Robbins
    Editor: Dan Taylor

Publisher:

Dec 2nd, 2011, 12:41 pm

Dec 2nd, 2011, 3:01 pm

Title: Interagents (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Dwight L. MacPherson (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Michael Patrick Sullivan (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

"Watchmen" meets "Jericho."

Review:
    The writer's first project created for Chimaera is "Interagents," a superteam book that MacPherson describes "Watchmen" meets "Jericho." "It's also been compared to Alan Moore's ABC comic line by several readers," MacPherson said. "Interagents" is the story of a team of superheroes at the onset of U.S. involvement with World War II. "After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the Interagents are faced with a tough decision: should they enter the conflict or remain stateside to guard U.S. soil? As the story progresses, they discover a group of super villains has infiltrated the government in an attempt eliminate the heroes from the equation and manipulate the events of World War II."

With "Interagents," MacPherson endeavored to create a team of heroes whose sentiments paralleled those of Americans before the U.S. entered the war. "Some members think the Interagents should enter the conflict immediately and stop the Nazi threat themselves, others believe the team should take a 'wait and see' approach before committing to the conflict," explained the writer. "So, honestly, the Interagents are a conflicted team of superheroes--much like the American people of that time. One thing they agree on, however, is that something must be done to end the war--they just can't agree on what action they should take. The bombing of Pearl Harbor is the catalyst that forces them to make a decision."

The Interagents include mysterious leader Providence, who embodies the conflicted theme of the book. "On one hand, he feels the U.S. government--and the Interagents--are being forced to act," MacPherson said. "He just isn't sure if that means the team should enter the conflict or remain at home to guard U.S. soil. He wants to make the right decision for the good of the country, and for the good of his team."

Other characters include Pantomath, a super genius and German defector; Dr. Danger, a ghost-like team elder; Grandstand, a super speedster who's content with the status quo until the War affects him personally; Militiaman, a gung-ho military man who wants to get into the fight; Vic Cross, a dual-citizen of the United States and England; and Eidolon, an enigma whose plans come to light as the story progresses.

MacPherson has long been a World War II buff, and jumped at the opportunity to work that interest into his writing. "I have read numerous books on World War II over the course of my life, and if my television is on, I'm watching the History Channel," the writer said. "Beyond that, it's interesting to me that you can draw a parallel to World War II and any military conflict the United States has been involved in. By using a World War II setting, I'm hoping I can do this without ruffling any feathers. Fingers crossed."

Asked how he would differentiate "Interagents" from the many other World War II team books seen in the superhero genre, including "All-Star Squadron" and "Invaders," MacPherson said, "[Those were] straightforward, light superhero fare, 'Interagents' is really a social commentary and political thriller with superheroes. Yes, the heroes are the central characters of the story, but there is more depth and substance to 'Interagents.' The tone is also much, much darker than the average superhero book.

"In Marvel terms, the book would be "Rated T+," the writer added. "It's an engaging story that will be enjoyed by readers in their teens to reader in their hundred-and-teens. Superhero fans will definitely enjoy it, but I also think the casual comic fans and history buffs will enjoy it, too."

MacPherson is not writing solo on "Interagents," he will be joined Bruce Brown. "Bruce basically took my plot and wrote the scripts. After the scripts were complete, I went back and rewrote, tweaked and changed what I felt needed to be reworked," MacPherson explained. "I was completely swamped when we started the project, so Bruce's help really saved me a lot of time."

Italian artist Valerio Giangiardano illustrates "Interagents." "Valerio's strong retro style and gorgeous colors really bring the story to life," MacPherson said. "It's amazing how he managed to capture the characters and mood of the story so perfectly. I think his work will blow readers away. Not literally, mind you. But anything is possible."

Chimaera also publishes a superhero roleplaying game incorporating Chimaera characters. Does this include "The Interagents?" "It's definitely going to happen," MacPherson confirmed. "Fans can check the Chimaera site for updates on all RPG books. We will also be sending out press releases as well as previews of the Interagents companion as its release approaches."

More info:
    Written by Dwight L. MacPherson
    Art by Valerio Giangiordano

Publisher:

Dec 2nd, 2011, 3:01 pm

Dec 2nd, 2011, 5:40 pm

Title: The Sisterhood (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Christopher Golden (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Daniel Yanez (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I enjoyed this book a good deal. It’s not bad at all. "

Review:
    I bought this comic hoping that I would get a decent rip-off of Top Cow’s Magdalena Image and I wasn’t disappointed with that in mind. The story is about a group of specially trained nuns from the Order of the Holy Sepulcher whom perform exorcisms. The twist to this is that these nuns don’t kill the demons they exorcise – but instead absorb the demons, thus becoming part of their souls, imprisoning them, if you will.

The kicker here is if one of the nuns is killed or die an unnatural death, the demons get released again to the world. If one dies a peaceful natural death, the demons die as well. These nuns have a limited amount of demons they can hold, and when they’re “filled to capacity” they’re forced to retire to a secret sanctuary to spend their last days in peace. Too bad some Snake Eyes type of commando kills them all at their Greek sanctuary, releasing all the demons back into the world! Enter Sister Eden Parish, a young nun who in charge of solving the who’s and why’s of these assassinations.

I enjoyed this book a good deal. It’s not bad at all. It was probably unfair of me to compare it to Magdalena, because it stands completely on its own. The only major drawbacks for me was design of the assassin and the main character. They look almost the same, and it confused me for a moment. Maybe they’re twin sisters and we’ll learn it in issue #2.

More info:
    Andrew Dalhouse colorist
    Christopher Golden writer
    Joseph Illidge editor
    Marshall Dillon letterer
    Tom Sniegoski writer
    Wellington Alves artist

Publisher:

Dec 2nd, 2011, 5:40 pm

Dec 2nd, 2011, 9:09 pm

Title: Jason Brice (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Didier Alcante (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: beus (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" You will be dragged straight into the story and never stop reading."

Review: The Revealed
    In this third part, all secrets will be revealed, so get ready for an exciting climax. What began as a (so it seemed) independently story of Jason Brice battle against superstition and supernatural forces, end with a supernatural denouement on a Scottish island.

The scriptwriter of this series is Alcante. The contraction of the first syllables of his children's names, Alex and Didier, gave Swysen Quentin his pseudonym. He is also the screenwriter of Rani (in collaboration with Van Hamme) and Pandora's Box of the series, the seven deadly sins.
    The drawings are from Milan Jovanovic Dupuis who also teamed with Giroud "The snake under the ice", was a three-part story in the collection of secrets.

The story takes place shortly after the First World War, more specifically in 1920. Jason Brice has been a soldier in the great war and tries to wipe away his memories by regularly using the opium pipe.
    In the first part of Jason Brice tried to rescue a young woman that would be killed in a way that was described in a book. Jason is quite suspicious of the predictive value of the book. But as more and more predictions come true yet, he still goes to investigate.
    After the dramatic conclusion of the first part, Jason goes looking for the writer and discovers more books been fatal. For example, the writer wrote a detailed book years before the real disaster took place about a boat 'Titan', that would sinck to the bottom of the ocean.
    During his quest, Jason is accused of murdering the former editor of the mentioned books. Jason's quest leads us to a small island in Scotland where the writer would have a country house. That journey he makes with Chloe, a black prostitute and her son Jeffrey, who also carries a secret. They are themselves followed by David Tew, the owner of the Gargoyle club where Chloe was working, where Jason went to smoke his narcotic pipes. Thus all the elements for an exciting climax of it, including the history of Jason and his family still plays a major role.

To rent the supernatural element credible, we suddenly see an old friend, at least one of his paintings. Fernand Desnouettes' watercolours prove not only an important role to play in the series The Ten Commandments (and spin-offs). But in this series they hit a bridge to the past.

The drawings are beautifully executed, and the colours, with lots of browns, take you directly into the atmosphere of the twenties. A lot of work with large prints, so you will be dragged straight into the story and never stop reading.

Now it's wait and see if this series will be continued or even that these beautifully finished cycle will continue. But if we are to believe the story was already talk of Jason Brice Part 5!

(Trans-google-lated from Dutch.)

More info:
    Written by Didier Alcante
    Art by Milan Jovanovic

Publisher:

Dec 2nd, 2011, 9:09 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Dec 9th, 2011, 6:07 pm.
Dec 3rd, 2011, 6:44 am

Title: Y: The Last Man (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Brian K. Vaughan (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Chris Gage (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Y: THE LAST MAN is a very intriguing series, certainly like nothing else on the comics racks, and well worth taking a look at."

Review: Y: THE LAST MAN - Book One - Unmanned
    The sub-genre of post-apocalyptic horror isn't what it used to be. With the end of the Cold War and the decreased threat of all-out nuclear conflict, it seems people just aren't thinking as much about the end of the world. The nice thing is, when they do, they're a lot more imaginative than the old clichés of radiation poisoning and giant cockroaches. Writer Brian K. Vaughan (THE HOOD) has brought back the post-apocalypse story with an attention-getting kick in the nuts in his new Vertigo series Y: THE LAST MAN.

Y stands for Yorick, the main character. It also stands for the Y chromosome, which is what makes men male; and, in this book, condemns them to death. Every male creature in the world suddenly drops dead one day, except for Yorick and his pet monkey, Ampersand. Why are they alive? No one knows. A more pressing question for Yorick is, can they stay that way.

Vaughan scores major points for finding the horror in what has always been a classic male fantasy: being the only guy in a world of women. He realizes that it would hardly be a Penthouse Forum fantasy come to life; more likely, an episode of OZ. You'd end up a jailhouse bitch: enslaved, sold, exploited, and abused; and not by some supermodel, boy, you'd be the personal love slave of the biggest, toughest, butchest broad around. Best case scenario, you'd end up in a sterilized room jerking off into a cup to repopulate the world - no actual sex, pal, God forbid you catch something.

Vaughan postulates a planet teetering on the brink of anarchy; there is still a kind of government, people still attempt to behave in a civilized manner, but there are unpleasant realities to deal with. Like the rotting corpses still stinking up the cities, or the Amazons, a group of bad-ass women who believe the men were killed by Mother Earth because they were unworthy, and see Yorick as a loose end to be tied up: or cut off (ouch). Vaughan has caught some flack from people who think he's implying there's something wrong with women if he thinks this is what would happen in a world run by them. His response was that, if the situation were reversed and all the women died, he figures it would take about ten minutes for the remaining men to nuke each other into little glowing smithereens, so this is really the better scenario (and makes for a slightly more readable story).

This initial volume, which collects the first five issues of the comic series, sets up the situation and assembles our cast of characters: Yorick; his Mom, a U.S. congresswoman; Alter, an Israeli soldier (Israel being one of the few armies that has allowed women in combat roles for many years) whose motives are still uncertain; #355, a U.S. government agent who is charged by the new Madame President with protecting Yorick's life, against her wishes; and Dr. Allison Mann (heh), a scientist whose work with cloning and artificial insemination make her the best chance of continuing the species: but might just be responsible for killing off the men in the first place.

The art by Pia Guerra is good; it didn't blow me away, but it's better than average and improving every step of the way, with some truly horrifying images in the last chapter, where it's revealed that Yorick's sister, Hero, has joined the Amazons (did I mention they cut off their left breast? Double ouch!) and, without realizing it, been given the job of finding and killing her brother.

The writing is also quite good, but not perfect. Vaughan does a great job with imagining the dark, dystopian, yet logical world (the toughest part of a book like this), and he's certainly got years worth of story possibilities here, including hints that a space station crew might still be alive: and one would imagine there are a couple men on it. The supporting characters are intriguing; my biggest problem is with the characterization of Yorick himself. He's just entirely too noble. All he wants is to get to Australia, where is fiancee is, so he can marry her and repopulate the world the old fashioned way. While not portrayed as an innocent per se, he's naive and headstrong, like when he exposes his identity to a group of Amazons defacing a memorial to the deceased men, thereby letting himself in for an ass-kicking and a half and making some nasty enemies. The fact that he's a magician and escape artist by trade leads to some interesting MacGyver-type moments, but his personality itself is a bit too simplistic. I suspect that might be the reason some feminists have reacted negatively to the book; Yorick's the one who's always trying to stop fights and saying "Can't we all just get along?" He's definitely portrayed as the noblest character in the story, but I see that as a problem with the character himself, not an implication that men as a whole are better than women.

Personally, I'd have found it more interesting if Yorick was more complex, a bit more like Vaughan's character in THE HOOD (which I think is his best work yet, though it's gotten less attention than it deserves). I mean, if I was in Yorick's shoes, yeah, I'd want to be reunited with my wife, but I'd be at least a little protective of my own ass, and the idea of serving as stud for the world would certainly cross my mind (just for a second, though, honey). I should point out that several issues of the regular series have come out since the end of this collection, and may have addressed some of these issues, but I haven't read them. More and more I find myself waiting for trade paperback collections: I prefer reading a bigger chunk of story in one sitting (MANGA STYLE! -feo), and hell, a lot of times they're cheaper than buying the individual issues!

Anyway, I don't mean to seem overly critical. Y: THE LAST MAN is a very intriguing series, certainly like nothing else on the comics racks, and well worth taking a look at. Hell, it almost makes me nostalgic for THE DAY AFTER - well, maybe DAMNATION ALLEY (gotta love those killer cockroaches). I give Y: THE LAST MAN four Rabid Fanboys.

More info:
    Writer: Brian K. Vaughan;
    Artists: Pia Guerra and Jose Marzan Jr.
    DC/Vertigo Comics

Publisher:

Dec 3rd, 2011, 6:44 am

Dec 3rd, 2011, 2:17 pm

Title: Jon Sable Freelance (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mike Grell (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: WIN WIACEK (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you like bullets, broads and b*st*rds, Jon Sable is the thrill-ride for you."

Review:
    The mid-1980s were a good time for comics creators. A new market was opening up, new companies were experimenting with format and content, and punters had a bit of spare cash to play with.

As well as new talent, established stars found a forum for different tales. Mike Grell’s extended saga of mercenary bounty hunter Jon Sable might seem like just another semi-realistic crime/caper series today, but in 1983 it was ground-breaking.

A very human hero, Sable is an aging man of action, an ex-Olympic Pentathlete who has the perfect family life in Africa until poachers and terrorists take it all away from him during the war that resulted in Apartheid Rhodesia becoming Zimbabwe.

The weaving of real world history into the narrative, such as the horror of the Munich Olympics, the African conflicts and even the ‘guest-stars’ (President Ronald Reagan hires Sable ‘off the books’ in the very first tale) made this a very contemporary series at the time and only adds verisimilitude now. There’s the same aura of authenticity to these tales now as you’d find in a period movie thriller like Day of the Jackal or I Was Monty’s Double.

Also captivating is the brutal honesty of Grell’s creation. He risks his life for money, for personal advantage and for vengeance, but never denies that he’s addicted to the rush of surviving another day, even if he might subconsciously be trying to get himself killed.

All that aside, this is a superb thriller series, fast-paced, beautifully and uniquely drawn with plenty of humour to leaven the murder and mayhem. New readers will also be treated to the best rationale for a “secret identity” in comics history.

If you like bullets, broads and b*st*rds, Jon Sable is the thrill-ride for you.

More info:
    Written and drawn By Mike Grell

Publisher:

Dec 3rd, 2011, 2:17 pm

Dec 3rd, 2011, 4:05 pm

Title: This Haunted World (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mark Powers (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Sam Rhodes (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you’re into religious-based horror fantasy, then This Haunted World might be a great investment."

Review: This Haunted World: Chapter One
    Right off the bat, I was a little confused about this comic. The title font is, forgive me, horrible. I can barely read the title at all, and if I didn’t know what it was called before I actually saw it, I might still be wondering! Not really, but close. It also doesn’t really fit the tone of the comic, but maybe I’m missing something. Okay, so there’s that, but, then, there’s the cover art. There’s a ghostly figure made of moaning faces hovering ominously over the earth. Alright. You won me back. So, here I am opening to page one, and already I’m torn about this comic.

With plenty of adult language, this story follows several different threads and weaves them all together into what seems to be a very large and creepy tapestry. Creators Chris Lie and Mark Powers (Powers also scripted the comic) set loose fantasy elements, very dark and powerful fantasy elements to be precise, into the present day world.

This first issue is really a lot of set up, bouncing between three main characters, a quadriplegic marine, a disillusioned Senator, and a parapsychologist who has unwittingly framed himself for murder, all of whom are affected in some way by this shadowy, other-worldly figure that is gathering an army of souls, presumably for some sort of impending war. And, all of whom are connected to one another in some way.

Perhaps, the biggest flaw in this comic, is the characters themselves. It could be that the author simply tried to fit too much into the first issue, but, after reading the 28-page digital comic, I found myself completely unattached to every one of the characters. All too often the dialogue gives us plot information rather than emotion. I’m interested in seeing where the story goes based on the premise, but I don’t have a bead on any one of the characters motivations, or who they really are. Maybe, it is intentionally a slow burn, but it leaves me wondering why I should care.

Beyond the characters, the story is pretty wild. As I mentioned, there are some dark fantasy elements that seem to indicate some sort of religious twist. Souls are being gathered, bullets rain down from the sky, and mass suicides take place, indicating that not only does our entire world hang in the balance, but the celestial world, as well.

The studio artwork (Caravan Studio) is good and maybe it’s just a weird thing with me, but I love the onomatopoeias, especially when the power goes out, “CHAK-BWEEeooo.” Sorry, I’m a nerd. Though sometimes the art seems a little pasted together, the artwork, in general, really works well and adds to that creepy vibe.

All told, this book has some decidedly interesting things going for it. It is hard to say after reading only this issue, but if you’re into religious-based horror fantasy, then This Haunted World might be a great investment. Go ahead, make a leap of faith.

More info:
    Created by Chris Lie
    Written by Mark Powers

Publisher:

Dec 3rd, 2011, 4:05 pm

Dec 3rd, 2011, 4:41 pm

Title: Daisy Kutter - The Last Train (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Kazu Kibuishi (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Aspi (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It's a fascinating study on how different people can use the same medium..."

Review:
    It's not like WKA (Women Kicking Ass) hasn't been done before. James Cameron launched the underwhelming career of Jessica Alba as a WKA in the short-lived Dark Angel and more recently J. J. Abrams made a star (and a tabloid regular) out of Jennifer Garner in Alias.

We've also seen WKA in westerns in the form of J. T. Edson's recurring character of Calamity Jane. And robots we are familiar with (anyone remember George Lucas). And it is not as if sci-fi and westerns haven't been combined either: Joss Whedon did that on TV (Firefly) and later adapted it to the big screen (Serenity).

But a WKA in a sci-fi western? That was a bit new for me, although only just.

Daisy Kutter is like the version of Calamity Jane romanticized by popular literature. She is a reckless adventuress, a sharp-shooter with nerves of steel. Her blond hair is curled under her ears, her head covered by a Wyatt hat decorated with a band made of oval buckles. She has bid farewell to her former life of robbing banks, stagecoaches and trains and now runs a small supplies store in a small unnamed town.

When her job bores her to tears she picks up some toy dart guns and nails every object in the store. She dismisses her ex-partner, still romantically inclined towards her, and consigns him to a heap of other things she wants to forget along with her past. She is desperately trying to turn over a new leaf. But it goes so against her grain that she is clearly struggling.

In the graphic novel Daisy Kutter: The Last Train, writer and illustrator Kazu Kibuishi does a marvelous job sketching out the essentials of Kutter's character using clean, well-defined lines PhotoShopped to perfection in various hues of gray. As a writer, Kibuishi keeps his dialogues short and lets his drawings do most of the narration.

And as in all good sci-fi westerns, robots show up all over the place and play an important role in the action.

The plot of The Last Train starts off with Kutter being approached by two entities -- a human and a robot paranoid about discrimination by humans — who offer her an undisclosed sum of money to rob a train. Kutter refuses and dismisses them. Later, she is drawn into a card game of Texas Hold 'Em and manipulated into taking up the offer. The rest of the comic shows us the train robbery and its aftermath.

While Kibuishi keeps things entertaining through the series, you get the feeling he misses a few tricks. As a visual medium with the most alternative audience, comics can afford to take a lot of chances. The landscape, populated with maverick rebels who enjoy turning things on their heads, have made comics wildly inventive. The Last Train starts off with a promising premise but it is comparatively staid in its execution. In all cases but one, you can predict the surprise coming from quite a few panels away.

More than the comics itself (there are four chapters, each of which was published as a separate comic during its first print run), I enjoyed the additional material Kibuishi provides in the graphic novel. There is a small section on how he renders each page that was quite interesting, more so because the illustrator admits that drawing, which is a high point of the novel, is the least favorite part of the process for him.

Later, in the best section of the book, he invites his artist friends to render their version of Daisy Kutter. And in re-imagining Kutter in dozens of interesting and unique ways, the artists reveal their styles, preferences, interests and environments. It's a fascinating study on how different people can use the same medium, dwell on the same topic and come up with such a superb variety of interpretations, no two being the same.

More info:
    writer and illustrator Kazu Kibuishi

Publisher:

Dec 3rd, 2011, 4:41 pm

Dec 3rd, 2011, 6:21 pm

Title: Hellshock (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jae Lee (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Matt Stevens (Review 1) and wiredweird (Review 1) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Some of the best art ever put into the pages of an IMAGE release"

Review:
    Review 1 - Some of the best art ever put into the pages of an IMAGE release. Jae Lee sure knew how to drive people crazy. He was always late in the 90's (and is frequently late this decade as well) and his HELLSHOCK was notorious for lateness. The first series was decently written and expertly illustrated. The second series was canceled because Lee just couldn't meet a deadline. He was months late.

This Hardcover release sort of wraps up the second mini-series with an epilogue like finish that uses some interesting art and storytelling, but it feels rushed and somewhat tacked on. No doubt that Lee had other intentions at the time.

The extras at the end are quite interesting, but the retail price for this release is way out of line for such a short work. Had it been oversized (allowing you to get closer to the art) I would say pay full retail. But it is not, so try and get it at a discount.

Review 2 - Not just psychological, but psychiatric - almost a reminder of those 1950s-ish comics featuring psychoanalysts. This is a well-drawn comic. The script holds together and moves with the right balance of explanation and mystery. Artwork carries the mood well, by turns claustrophobic, exultant, despairing, and grunge-noir. It has all the makings of a taut, exciting story.

The problem is that it just doesn't excite me. I know that others will differ, but the whole drama of mind-to-mind just falls flat when I read it. The "Fallen Pages" supplement at the end interests me more, even if the art isn't quite as polished, and I like the cover art (?) that follows.

If that "relationships" thing between doctor and locked-ward patient works for you, then have a blast. It's just not me.

4+ stars for the art and scripting, 1 for personal level of interest - and this is a personal review before it's anything else.

More info:
    Jae Lee writer, penciler, inker, other
    Jose Villarrubia, June Chung colorist
    Bill O'Neil, Comicraft , John Gaushell, Oscar Gongora, Richard Starkings, Dave Lanphear letterer

Publisher:

Dec 3rd, 2011, 6:21 pm

Post rewarded by Ojay on Dec 9th, 2011, 6:06 pm.
Dec 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm

Title: 30 Days Of Night (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Steve Niles (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Andre Heeger (Review 1) and Dan Seitz (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It's quite a fun read, a little too quick but definitely worth reading."

Review:
    Review 1 - Some say this is nothing new. I don't know what they are talking about.
    The art is awesome - look at the images I put in.
    Some panels are like dark movie stills, showing the angst and the horror to come, others are funny with a very dark and edgy humor to it, and some are as if unfinished, blurry, but mostly when there is action or something waiting to happen. That way the "unfinished" art work gives you the feeling things are about to move (or you as the reader better get moving before you're being eaten alive...)
    It reminds me of the camera work on NYPD Blue when it first came out. A lot of people who didn't like it just didn't get it that there was a purpose behind both the moving camera shots and the "still" ones.
    To the story, do you always need a "new" take on vampires to like it? You got a problem with cliches? I don't. A town in dark Alaska with nothing going on is attacked by a horde of vampires. That's the story in one line. I left out the details because I would be giving away too much.
    The twists and turns make this a story to enjoy not once, not twice but over and again.
    It is a graphic novel - the artwork and the storyline are as one. Ben Templesmith's terrific pictures and Steve Niles' tight and at times very funny dialogue make this book a great add to my - and I hope everybody's collection.
    IDW is publishing the trilogy (of which his is part 1) as a HC soon. All three parts can be read seperately though. And then there's the movie scheduled for release October 30 2007

Review 2 - "30 Days" has a couple of flaws, but it's an involving read.

The writing is excellent, I think, well-suited to the medium. The concept is wonderful and certainly Niles doesn't spare the gore or pussyfoot around the concept of vampires ripping open throats. He puts in some disturbing imagery and his plotting is close to immaculate.

A moment to address the other reviewer's complaints about cliche: Yes, you're right. Now stop whining. I doubt much new can be done with vampires, and it's great to see the human battling with the throat-ripping beast without having to deal with Anne Rice's sexual peccadilloes or purple prose. If Lestat actually existed, I would have purchased a flamethrower for the sole purpose of shutting him up. And maybe I would have taken out that whiny Louis, too, while I was at it.

All praise and defense aside, I suspect Niles was given three issues instead of the four he asked for (or perhaps the four he should have written) and as a result his character development is lacking. While I think it's great the book hits the ground running, we only really get to know Eben and Stella, and those two we don't know very well, in the end; the townsfolk have maybe a panel or so (few are granted names) and then get turned into hamburger.

The art isn't to my taste; I think the murkiness enhances it quite a bit, and there is some absolutely beautiful work with what I believe to be watercolor, but I don't think it would have killed Templesmith to be a bit more traditional and realistic. The sheer beauty of some panels, especially that opening splash, is absolutely frustrating next to the sloppiness (which I suspect was intentional) of others. Still, I'll cheerfully grant that it suits the story well.

Overall, it's quite a fun read, a little too quick but definitely worth reading. I suspect the movie will be better, though.

More info:
    Written by Steve Niles

Publisher:

Imageorg/viewtopic
Dec 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm

Dec 4th, 2011, 8:18 am

Title: The Skrumps: The Mooch Steps Up His Game (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): John Chandler (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Paige McKee (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This is a good comic for kids"

Review:
    John Chandler presents The Skrumps is the series of vinyl action figures and storybooks created by John Chandler and distributed by Splashdown Toys. Each set includes one figure, an illustrated book featuring a day in the life of the Skrump, and a clear figure stand. The body of each toy is made of hollow vinyl, while the legs and arms are PVC. Originally launched in 2004 by Chandler, the rights to the characters were later acquired by The Jim Henson Company to develop the HDPS series The Skrumps. When adapting the world of the Skrumps from a series of toys to an animated series, several new characters were created - notably female Skrumps, such as Raisins. While Skrumpy is currently the only existing character from the toy series to appear in the Henson series, the design of Wishbone is somewhat similar to the The Mooch.

The set of six figures was billed as "series 1"; no subsequent series have been produced yet.

The Skrumps are crazy characters based on concepts. For example, you have Wishbone, who dreams and encourages others to use their imaginations, and Treats who is a good cook. The focus of this story is on the Mooch. A jive dude just looking for a little love and free food. The Mooch thinks himself to be a slick player amongst his peers, but he's not, He is generally disliked and considered a pest. The Mooch learns a lesson when he adopts Tom. Tom is a feeble but large pet who only wants affection. Tom costs Mooch his home and time but what he receives in return is a far greater gift.

This is a good comic for kids with an engaging art style, bright distinctive characters and set in a very imaginative world. It makes sense that the Jim Henson Company sponsors this project.

More info:
      Writer: John Chandler
      Penciler: John Chandler
      Inker: John Chandler
      Colorist: John Chandler
      Letterer: John Chandler
      Cover Artist: John Chandler
      Published: November 7, 2011

Publisher:

Dec 4th, 2011, 8:18 am

Dec 4th, 2011, 9:29 am

Title: Star Wars: Dark Times -- Out of the Wilderness (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Randy Stradley (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Doug Zawisza (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Vader in action is something I cannot wait to see more of."

Review: Star Wars: Dark Times -- Out of the Wilderness #3
    Under what is arguably the most non-“Star Wars” cover ever crafted, the continued adventures of Jedi survivor Dass Jennir brings in a number of familiar faces to those long-term readers of the “Dark Times” saga. Fans of the classic trilogy might even be satisfied to find a certain black body-armor and flowing cape-clad figure striding through these pages on a quest to extinguish the Jedi. Of course, the Jedi he’s pursuing just so happens to be (yup, you guessed it) Dass Jennir.

Problem is, Jennir’s being pursued by someone else and also trying to survive on a planet that is quite brutal and full of surprises. Add to that the fact that Jennir is more like Han Solo than Obi-Wan Kenobi when it comes to using the Force (Jennir passes out trying to use the Force to heal a horse-type creature), and this story has a lot of promise, a fair share of interesting characters, the open-ended threat that anything can happen in these early days of the Empire and some stunning art.

Douglas Wheatley’s art is so brilliant that it makes a very strong argument for books to be delayed so artists can complete their work. The very concept of this story being handled by anyone other than Wheatley is preposterous as his art has nuances and details figured just perfectly for every character (and ship and creature) that flows through this story. Wheatley uses a style that is rather dependent upon photo-reference. This enhances the story details, but sometimes makes for some odd design choices. One such choice is the Galapagos tortoise-based mounts of the pirates that trod through this issue. The familiarity of the critters’ appearances took me out of the story as I tried to determine what it was that I was looking at. Once past that, however, I was able to once more appreciate the detail that Wheatley layered into this issue.

This series (or, rather, series of miniseries) has teased Darth Vader’s involvement from the start. With a pair of issues left in this arc, it seems like all of the characters are headed to an unavoidable -- and certain to be violent -- collision. Vader in action is something I cannot wait to see more of. The story of Dass Jennir and his allies provides an authentic “Star Wars” feel that is doing a very good job of providing an enjoyable story in the interim as Vader draws ever nearer.

More info:
    Story by Randy Stradley
    Art by Douglas Wheatley
    Colors by Dan Jackson
    Letters by Michael Heisler
    Cover by Pablo Correa

Publisher:

Dec 4th, 2011, 9:29 am

Dec 4th, 2011, 10:58 am

Title: Batman: Holy Terror (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Alan Brennert (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: omnivore (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Brilliant"

Review:
    Comics are, let’s be honest, hard to just jump into. I had to wait for Gotham City Sirens to make my first nervous foray into the current state of Gotham, but I’m glad I did. (The other titles I follow are non-superheroes.) I also happen to love alternate history, especially when it comes to exploring the minute choices that make us what we are. That’s probably why I’m so drawn to DC’s Elseworlds imprint—they’re not only one-shots you can just pick up without committing yourself to years and decades of back story, but they take familiar heroes and place them in different circumstances. I picked up Batman: Holy Terror (irrationally terrified I’d be put on some sort of watch list for putting such a title on hold) on the recommendation of MGK, whose blog you should really follow if you like comics at all.

Batman: Holy Terror takes place in a world where Cromwell died ten years after he did in our world, making his Protectorate accepted; England and its colonies, including America, are theocratic states. When the physician to the Privy Council, Thomas Wayne, and his wife are shot in Gotham Towne, their son Bruce finds solace in his faith and ultimately decides to take vows. But when a remorseful Inquisitor Gordon reveals his parents were murdered by the state, Bruce’s faith—and his faith in the religious state—is shaken to its core. Deciding on revenge, Bruce takes up an old demon costume his father used in Passion Plays and becomes the Batman.

I think the most astonishing thing about Batman: Holy Terror is how Brennert explores exactly what makes Batman. In regular continuity, it’s general knowledge that Bruce Wayne is a hollow identity to cover for the true man underneath, Batman—vice versa, Clark Kent is the real guy, while Superman is a convenient cover. But in a world where Bruce has faith to rely on instead of terror and vengeance, Bruce becomes a whole, functioning person. It’s only when he discovers that the state is corrupt that he breaks. As MGK points out, Brennert makes the case that our Batman isn’t a vigilante because of his parents’ tragic deaths; he’s a vigilante because it’s the only way to fight the broken system that caused their tragic deaths. Which is why Batman ultimately becomes a terrorist in Batman: Holy Terror; the system he’s fighting here is too ubiquitous and powerful for him to be anything but. Instead of making this a fun romp with a alternate take on a character, Brennert takes the opportunity to look at the very core of what makes Batman tick.

The theocratic state Brennert has constructed here puts me in mind of The Handmaid’s Tale; while there aren’t breeding programs, homosexuals and women seeking reproductive rights are persecuted by the state. Bruce (man, that’s weird to say!) discovers that his parents were involved with what the graphic novel calls counter-reproductive activities—helping homosexuals maimed by the state in attempts to “cure” them, sex workers, and women who turn to desperate measures to abort. In a short news report by Victoria Vale, we learn that the Protectorate is busy conquering and converting the Southern Hemisphere and landholding men have plural votes (while woman have none). While it can sometimes be a bit too pat—really? They celebrate the day Cromwell recovered from malaria and not his birthday?—it’s very deft worldbuilding. While some might question how the Puritan Protectorate got so visually Catholic, I can see the evolution, especially after three hundred years. Brennert wisely resists any urge to give us more than we need to frame this story of a religious Bruce fighting against a theocratic state.

I also really enjoyed how religion was handled here. It can be easy to demonize certain religions based on the theocratic states that twist them, but Brennert avoids this. Bruce’s faith is important to him, and he initially bemoans the betrayal of the state as a betrayal by God, but Dr. McNider points out how Cromwell’s Protectorate and the Bible were twisted by the Protectorate to justify the terrible things they do. It’s also easy to blame those in control; Bruce learns the hard way that the problem he’s facing is systemic, which forces him to ultimately become Batman. Ultimately, I am totally blown away by Batman: Holy Terror—I haven’t even mentioned the appearance of Zatanna as a brainwashed metahuman yet, and it’s heartbreaking. While I don’t think Breyfogle’s art has aged particularly well, it’s still good and services the amazing story Brennert has concocted here. Well done, gentlemen, well done.

Bottom line: In one of the first Elseworlds Image titles, Alan Brennert takes an opportunity to explore the very core of Batman by pitting him against a theocratic state descended from Oliver Cromwell’s Protectorate. Its astonishing and complex ideas will change the way you see the Dark Knight, even over in our continuity. Brilliant.

More info:
    Written by Alan Brennert
    Art by Norm Breyfogle

Publisher:

Dec 4th, 2011, 10:58 am