Jan 5th, 2012, 8:34 pm
Comic book easter eggs, hidden messages, and cameo appearances...

I always enjoy stumbling across easter eggs, cameo appearances, and messages hidden in the artwork of comics. It’s something about the fact that it’s something the artist didn’t have to draw, that they just put in there purely for the fun of it or to let you know something about them. Alex Ross is probably one of the best-known for this, putting the Beatles into Marvels, the Monkees into Kingdom Come, etc. etc. etc., but there are thousands of easter eggs, hidden messages, and unauthorized cameo appearances scattered throughout the pages of comics of all types. Sometimes they’re obvious, sometimes they’re subtle, sometimes you wouldn’t even know they were there unless someone pointed them out to you. Some are just cool little shoutouts, some have gotten people fired. Groo The Wanderer used to have a secret message in every issue, and back when I was a kid I used to spend hours poring over my Groos trying to find them. Some were really easy to spot but I’m sure I never found a lot of them. These days I don’t really have the time to go specifically looking for hidden messages, cameos, and easter eggs, but I try to note them when I spot them, and here I present a bunch that I don’t recall seeing documented elsewhere before. - Aaron

Please post here the Easter eggs and stuff in comic books you find yourself or from another source. Please follow these simple rules:

- only Easter eggs and stuff from comics released on this site are allowed
- always post a link to the release post of the comics
- if you didn't find it yourself, please always mention your source

Every post will be rewarded with 5 WRZ$

Good hunting! 8)
Jan 5th, 2012, 8:34 pm
Jan 5th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Secret messages in ‘Farscape – D’Argo’s Lament’ #1

Come with me, ladies and gentlemen, as I reveal the secret hidden messages in Farscape: D’Argo’s Lament #1, written by Keith R.A. DeCandido, drawn by Neil Edwards, published by BOOM! and out in stores tomorrow.

Some spoilers of jokes ahead, along with the truth of where writers really get their ideas, so we’ll put them behind the cut.

Take a look at this page:

Using the subtle method of spelling names backwards to create alien names, we have Egrof, Ytrehod, Xocgerg, Esseret, and Kitrap. Reversing the letter order in those words, we have Forge, Doherty, Gregcox, Teresse, and Patrik.

Tom Doherty is the publisher of Tor Books and their imprint, Forge, which used to publish Farscape novels, and they’re also behind Tor.com.

Greg Cox was a full time editor at Tor, until he left to write novels full time– comics fans will know him for the novelizations of Infinite Crisis and 52, among many others.

But no one ever really leaves Tor, as witnessed by the example of the lovely Teresa Nielsen Hayden, who worked there between being an editor at Valiant Comics and her current job as community manager at BoingBoing. She’s married to Patrick Nielsen Hayden, who’s a senior editor at Tor, a regular contributor to Tor.com, plays bass in Whisperado, and runs Making Light with Teresa and a few other happy folks.

So now you know.

Source: Glenn Hauman
Released: here
Jan 5th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Jan 5th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Message on cover of The Boys.

It’s been pointed out many times how much stuff Darick Robertson (artist) snuck into Transmetropolitan. He’s still at it — from the cover of The Boys #7:

From the classic Monty Python sketch.

source: here
released: here
Jan 5th, 2012, 8:43 pm