The graphic novels loved by children and adults alike
Jan 23rd, 2012, 1:10 pm

Title: Challenger Deep (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Andy Schmidt (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: David O' Leary (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" You will be hard pressed to find a finer publication this year. Guaranteed."

Review: Challenger Deep #4
    Book Summery: The clock is ticking. A nuclear submarine sits atop an underwater glacier of methane ice, enough to crack the world in half if it's not rescued in time. Here's a last issue spoiler- the Earth doesn't end up cracked in half. You, however, will be on the edge of your seat, thanks to writers Andrew Cosby, creator of the hit Sci-Fi Channel show EUREKA, and Andy Schmidt

This is a story in the claustrophobic vein of K-19 or referencing a comic, the brilliant Sub-Mariner: The Depths. I read all four issues back to back and found that the book will read well in trade when it comes out but the final issue brought a fantastic story to a very satisfying conclusion.

In this final chapter, Oceanographer Eric Chase has been approached to head a rescue mission to the stricken nuclear submarine "The Texas". The subs nuclear missiles are closer to detonation as no contact with the surface has been made which triggers a failsafe on the missiles that they will explode. But sitting on top of a methane ice shelf will cause catastrophe on a global scale unless the countdown can be stopped. But with Chase now on board the Texas, the crew having committed mutiny, how will he save the day.

The book is a fast burning claustrophobic tense thrill ride. The fact that there are two mini series released recently that deal with tension beneath the waves ( Sub-Mariner: The Depths Image ), kind o surprised me as I wasn't expecting one or the other to be as strong as both turned out to be. As the story built to a crescendo here, the efforts of Chase leave you wondering weather or not he is running a suicide mission or if he saves the day how will he do it as Cosby and Schmidt continually throw in front Chase seemingly intrusive obstacles and emotional dramas that genuinely tug the heart strings. I honestly felt for the crew man that Chase had to leave behind for the greater good here and it was a punch in the gut moment as I thought he would not leave him behind. The story is crafted as a page turner, a book you could not leave down until you are finished. It contains no super heroes, no magic, no villains as such and it was ten times better than almost anything I have read recently.

Chee turns in some great art here, almost sketchy but full of little detail. I tend to put a fine point on how an artist can do facial expressions as they convey a lot of the emotion that the writer wants to put across but can't fully without the help of the artist. Chee does this with little effort and likewise with Esad Ribic on Sub-Mariner, the artist lends so much to the overall tone of the book.

When this book is released on trade, I urge everyone to try it out as the story is devoid of superhero restraints and is just a standalone adventure that the readers can immerse themselves in for a period and put it down simply out of breath. You will be hard pressed to find a finer publication this year. Guaranteed.

Rating the Issue

Story: Overall 9
    Concept - 9 out of 10
    Plot - 9 out of 10
    Dialogue - 9 out of 10
    Art: Overall 8.66
    Style - 8 out of 10
    Storytelling - 10 out of 10
    Colour/Tones - 8 out of 10
    Importance: Overall 8..33
    To the Title - 9 out of 10
    To the Company - 8 out of 10
    To the Medium - 8 out of 10

More info:
    Story by: Andrew Cosby
    writer: Andy Schmidt
    Art by: Chee
    Colours by: Andrew Dalhouse
    Letters by: Marshall Dillon
    Cover by: Chee

Publisher:

Jan 23rd, 2012, 1:10 pm
Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:15 pm

Title: Sub-Mariner: The Depths (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Peter Milligan (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Cammy (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you like horror, if you like comic books, this is the perfect underwater thriller for any library."

Review:
    This title is a must-have for any fans of Namor or eerie horror movies, because you get the perfect combination of both in this underwater thriller!

When I was younger, I used to love going to the beach with friends. Bring a beach ball, go body surfing, run along the sand, you name it. I got caught in a riptide once and taken out to sea, but it wasn’t long until lifeguards came out to rescue me. While I was drifting amongst the waves, I remember feeling afraid because I was out of my element. If something larger than me was nearby and hungry, I would turn into lunch rather quickly. Thankfully that wasn’t the case and I was rescued soon after.

It wasn’t until years later of traumatizing movies (Jaws) and television shows (Shark Week) that I came to the conclusion, “You know what? Fuck the ocean.”

With Sub-Mariner: The Depths from Milligan and Ribic, it drags me back out to the ocean like a riptide, and creeps me out the entire time just like a good horror movie would.

I think one of the main things I like about this mini-series is that Namor is and isn’t the main character; he’s the fabled being protecting the lost city of Atlantis, and yet we barely see him throughout. We focus more on the protagonist Dr. Rudolph Stein, famous debunker of myths and tale tales. This guy has proven with science that the Yeti isn’t real, an when approached by fellow scientists to go in search of Atlantis, Dr. Stein sees this as another notch on his belt of accomplishments and jumps at the opportunity.

But he’s not just descending 33,000 feet in a submarine to see if Atlantis is real or not, he’s also in search of Captain Marlowe, the man who has claimed to have discovered the fabled lost city.

On their way to the Marianas Trench, the crew tells Dr. Stein of Atlantis’ protector, Namor, and how they’re in his underwater realm now, and he’s so terrible that he was responsible for the sinking of the Titanic. Dr. Stein laughs all this off, for he is a man of science and doesn’t believe in all this nonsense. However, just before reaching the outpost, Dr. Stein has a dream of a Namor-like being haunting him. The crew informs him that when Namor appears in your dreams, he has something special planned for you. Because of this, Dr. Stein goes a little loopy trying to make sense of it all.

When they finally arrive down at the Marianas Trench outpost, Dr. Stein and the crew discover a grizzly scene involving the remains of the men who lived there. Someone or something brutally murder the crew, leaving the place looking like a slaughterhouse rather than a research facility. The only evidence of what took place there was recorded on a single camera, confiscated and observed only by Dr. Stein.

All he sees of the monster is a winged foot.

Not wanting to stick around and see what did this, Dr. Stein and the crew continue further down into the blackness in search of Captain Marlowe and Atlantis. What they find is Captain Marlowe’s submarine, and more dead crewmen. The only survivor of the massacre is Captain Marlowe himself with proof that Atlantis exists. Sure enough after viewing the film, Dr. Stein realizes that Marlowe has indeed discovered Atlantis, making everything he has worked so hard to prove false a possibility, and Dr. Stein can’t have that.

While Dr. Stein tries burning the evidence, he is discovered by Marlowe and the two fight. In the middle of their struggle, we finally see Namor in all his glory. Within a blink of an eye, Marlowe is torn to shreds by Namor, and disappears as quickly as he appeared. Trying to confess to the crew that he himself killed Marlowe, Dr. Stein isn’t believed for a second. The crew knows who killed him, and demand to see Marlowe’s film.

Dr. Stein comes to the conclusion that now the film must be destroyed by any means necessary, even if it means killing the entire crew and himself. So while in his moment of madness, he knocks-0ut the captain and pilots the submarine into a sea devil, tearing apart the vessel and any evidence as he escapes in a pod. While it looks like he’ll die from lack of oxygen before reaching the surface, it appears that Namor does in fact still have plans for Dr. Stein as he makes sure he returns to the surface alive and in one piece.

Dr. Stein tells his fellow scientists that the fact he survived was no miracle, but simply being trapped in a pocket of air from the ocean floor. He then makes the definitive statement that Atlantis does not exist, and that Captain Marlowe and his crew died when they drove into that sea devil. Only Dr. Stein knows the truth, and will take it to the grave with him. The world does not need to know that Atlantis does exist, and beings like Namor are more fact than fiction.

Peter Milligan really took me by surprise with this series, because I was so used to his stuff on X-Force with Allred. The story he tells truly is terrifying, because underwater was not meant for man, only fish. He introduces Namor only in the shadows, stalking his prey like a master predator before finally revealing himself for the killing blow.

Esad Ribic’s art just blew me away page after page! He really did an amazing job setting the dark, creepy tone of the book with the bright characters surrounded by darkness. To only see Namor in shadow rather than in focus is a lot more terrifying, because you don’t know exactly what you’re looking at while it observes you from a distance.

In closing, this book is easily accessible to anyone. It doesn’t take place in the 616 Universe, so new and old readers can enjoy a classic Namor story without having continuity get in the way. It’s what makes it so timeless, and an instant classic. If you like horror, if you like comic books, this is the perfect underwater thriller for any library.

More info:
    Written by Peter Milligan
    Art by Esad Ribic

Publisher:

Jan 23rd, 2012, 2:15 pm
Jan 23rd, 2012, 4:59 pm

Title: Hercules: The Knives of Kush (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Steve Moore (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: R.J. Carter (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Brutally fun, full of action, intrigue, and just a dash of wry humor.
"

Review:
    Radical Books has created a Hercules story that is brutally fun, full of action, intrigue, and just a dash of wry humor.

In The Knives of Kush, Hercules and his band of Greek mercenaries -- Iolaus, including the self-serving Autolycus, the lovelorn Meleager, and the sapphic Atalanta -- have just come from The Thracian Wars where they not only didn't get paid, but they barely escaped (after killing scores of warriors in bloody combat). Now they're on a boat headed south, to Egypt, where they hope to pick up work fighting for whoever will hire them.

Shortly upon arriving, they come across a group of bandits attacking Egyptian nobility. Autolycus' advice is to let the bandits win, then kill them later and take the loot for themselves. But Hercules, who judges the Egyptian guards to be poor warriors, realizes this is an opportunity to show how well they fight, and pick up legitimate work as mercenaries. And so they set to rescuing the beleaguered queen -- the first wife of the pharoah, Seti -- which earns them employment in the pharaoh's court.

But Seti has plans for them beyond being mere mercenaries. His brother, Amenmessu, has plans for the throne, and the fight between them has caused a civil war. Amenmessu's advantage is the masked wizard, Khadis, whose magic has made them nearly insurmountable in battle whenever the wizard is present. Outwardly, Hercules and his company are to be bodyguards to the youngest queen, Tiaa (an arrangement that works out suitably for Atalanta). But their real job is to find the spies in the palace who've been feeding Amenmessu information about attacks.

Steve Moore has crafted an epic battle story full of graphic violence (made visible thanks largely to Chris Bolson and Doug Sirois, with help from Manuel Silva, Leonardo Silva, Cliff Cramp, and Steve Firchow). Blood flows freely, men die screaming, and women are as crafty and seductive as they've ever been in a men's adventure novel. On top of the warfare, there's also a bit of a mystery to solve, and there's no shortage of suspects within Seti's court, and Moore does a fine job of leading the reader along -- even up a few blind alleys -- before getting to the reveal. The artwork is done in a realistic fashion, although sometimes the coloring has the unfortunate effect of flattening some of the details, resulting in cover images that often outshine the interior panels (but since when is that something new in the graphic novel industry?)

More info:
    Publisher: Radical Books
    Writer: Steve Moore
    Artist: Chris Bolson
    Colorist: Doug Sirois
    Grade: B+

Publisher:

Jan 23rd, 2012, 4:59 pm
Jan 23rd, 2012, 9:13 pm

Title: Haunted Mansion (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): various (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: shesaidboom (Review 1) and swarlock (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" If you have a sick sense of humor and like comics you will probably enjoy this. "

Review:
    Review 1
      I've been a fan of SLG [Slave Labor Graphics] comics for a while, and recently learned they put out a comic based on the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland. It consists of stories based on the '999 happy haunts which call the mansion home', each one written by a different SLG artist, and is supposed to be a bi-monthly release. The first issue has six stories, including one by Roman Dirge. He also did the cover art. I got my copy this morning and have been enjoying it so far. I'm still somewhere in the middle. It's definately an interesting concept, and if you have a sick sense of humor and like comics you will probably enjoy this.

Review 2
      I love the attraction at Disney World a lot. To me it is the perfect depiction of what a Haunted House should be. Borrowing elements from Edgar Allen Poe and The House On Haunted Hill, this place has delighted thousands who have come to see it, ride it and be thrilled by it.

So now there is a comic book about it. This is an anthology series which tells in 32 pages about the 999 ghosts who inhabit this retirement home for the non-living. I'm glad the people at Slave Labor actually took this route instead of using the movie. After all these stories are about the spirits, not about Eddie Murphy's adventures in the moldering sanctum HM fans have come to love.

From very creepy to downright funny, the first issue set the premise up with ease. The various art styles make this black and white comic book a must have.

My favorites in this first issue included ROOM FOR A THOUSAND which finds The Ghost Host showing a new ghostly tenant around, BLUEPRINTS OF MURDER deals with the architects of the mansion and how they became the first two residents. But the best one had to be WHILE THE FIFI IS AWAY - A tale of a ghost poodle who complains about being dead among the other pets in the pet cemetery in the mansion.

There are a couple of more stories in this issue that I won't reveal to you. You'll just have to buy the comic and find out for yourselves. But trust me when I say it will be worth it.

More info:
    Roman Dirge writer, penciler, inker, cover
    Aaron A, D.W. Frydendall, Christopher, Jon Hastings, Eric Jones writer, penciler
    Serena Valentino, Dan Vado, John Habermas, Jon Hastings, Serena Valentino, Chris Reilly and Steve Ahlquist writer
    Drew Rausch, Mike Moss, D. W. Frydendall, Crab Scrambly, Jon Morris, FSc, Brian Belew, Marc Davis and Claude Coats art
    David Hedgeciook, Eleanor Lawson lettering
    Published by Slave Labor, 2005-2007.
    Publisher: Slave Labor Graphics

Publisher:

Jan 23rd, 2012, 9:13 pm
Jan 24th, 2012, 9:42 am

Title: Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Van Jensen (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Dan Royer (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I am really glad I got the chance to get my hand on a copy."

Review:
    “After seeing Geppetto die at the hands of vampires, Pinocchio swears revenge in this darkly funny graphic novel. As the vampires plot the enslavement of mankind, only a one-puppet army stands in their way. But will a wooden boy and his endless supply of stakes- courtesy of plenty of lies and his elongating nose- be enough to save the day?”

Artwork: 4.0 out of 5
      So when I started looking at the first few pages of this volume I was kinda shocked. Mostly because it was done in this comic strip format, that didn’t match the genre or the intensity of the cover, but man did they fool me. The intro plays into the classical Pinocchio style actually as it has the kid like vibe that I recall from the movie, but as soon as that is over, things go dark. I loved the look of everything in this book from the designs to the perfect tones used. Visually it has this movie feel as well, I can see this book in my head playing out like a cartoon. It’s just GORE-geous!

Story: 4.0 out of 5
      Have you read this? Really, because it kind of rocks! I mean maybe the idea is simple, and yet no one did it before. The simple concept of a wooden boy with a nostril flare for killing vampires does it get any better? The dialogue is as fresh as the overall concept and it plays out beautifully. My complaint though is that it was over too fast. I think I got through the whole book, 128 pages, in less than an hour. While it’s not a big complaint it did make me sad it was over.

Dying Breath: 4.0 out of 5
      This story was fresh, and in a market of vampire books you need something to be different. The same night stalker story is played out and this book easily gives a classic tale a new twist while tackling a genre that can be overdone at times. The artwork is great, spot on page to page. When all is said and done I want more and well, since I waited so long, I can have more because Volume 2 is out now. Vampire fans read this, horror fans read this and well if you want something different then read this. I am really glad I got the chance to get my hand on a copy.

More info:
    Writer: Van Jensen
    Artist: Dusty Higgins
    Publisher: Slave Labor Graphics

Publisher:

Jan 24th, 2012, 9:42 am
Jan 24th, 2012, 11:01 am

Title: Thorgal (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jean Van Hamme (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Roger Shingler (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A dizzying, often visually stunning, exercise in high-adventure that will appeal to all ages."

Review: Thorgal - Volume Seven: The Master of The Mountains

The Thorgal series of graphic story albums by Belgian writer Van Hamme and Polish artist Rosinski are among the most popular of the fertile and highly productive Franco-Belgian comics scene. Currently running at over 30 volumes, the adventures of this Viking-raised son of a spaceship captain have been reprinted in at least ten different languages and have seen total global sales figures reach the millions.

So what's all the fuss about? Well, at first glance, this volume, The Master of The Mountains (Cinebooks), appears to be an efficient, though beautifully rendered, historical-fantasy romp around the world of Norse mythology, as our hero, Thorgal, attempting to find safe passage through snow-covered mountains, stumbles across a runaway slave, Torric, and a mysterious ring. And so, with these two narrative impellers in place, thrills and adventure ensue.

The artwork — exquisite in its rendering of both large-scale backdrops and in its depiction of the small details of human interaction — is reminiscent of the flickering, cinematic, European-influenced style of Klaus Janson, applauded for his work on mainstream US comics such as The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Gothic. The dialogue is at times somewhat clunky and expositional, possibly as a result of the translation from another language, and the intended broad appeal of the work necessitates a straightforward approach to narrative that may appear somewhat conventional to those familiar with the sophisticated narrative conceits and devices of more recent comics.

The combination of history, mythology, supernatural and science fiction that the series is known for at times almost completely shreds any sense of verisimilitude achieved by the detailed, realistic artwork and apparent gravitas of the central character. This is amply compensated, though, by the rip-roaring pace and deft handling of the all-important action, making this a dizzying, often visually stunning, exercise in high-adventure that will appeal to all ages.

More info:
    Story: Jean Van Hamme
    Art: Grzegorz Rosinski

Publisher:

Jan 24th, 2012, 11:01 am
Jan 24th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Title: Anna mercury (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Warren Ellis (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: K. W. Schreiter (Review 1) and Mike Cassella (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A strong character in an intriguing new world that merits further stories."

Review:
    Review 1 - This collects the five issue 2008 Avatar Press creator-owned mini-series from writer Warren Ellis and artist Facundo Percio. Anna Mercury is a British secret agent tasked with preventing New Ataraxia from using a weapon of mass destruction (the titular "Cutter") against Sheol, a neighboring civilization. These combatants are on a parallel Earth that had been disturbed by our planet, and now Mercury "boomerangs" to and from this world for brief periods to mitigate the explosive effects. From his striking depictions of the main character to his detailed machines and cityscapes, Percio's art is exemplary and the highlight of this book. Ellis' fun, action-filled plot can also be viewed as a modern geopolitical allegory. He has created a strong character in an intriguing new world that merits further stories. The Volume 2 mini-series is in comic stores now.

Review 2 - Warren Ellis knows what he likes to write. There is never any real surprise to the voice and direction of a Warren Ellis title. Whether he’s doing work-for-hire comics for Marvel or original material for Avatar or Image, Ellis has, over his many years in the comics industry, created a style of science fiction and adventure comics that always entertaining (if you like Warren Ellis, that is). Anna Mercury is no exception. The story follows the title character, an interdimensional secret agent and seditionist, as she must stop warring factions in a parallel dimension from essentially killing each other off. The story is pretty brief and the character development is sparse, but, again, if you enjoy the standard that Ellis sets down for his books, then you’ll find a lot to enjoy in Anna Mercury. The art chores are handled by Facundo Percio and while some panels leave something to be desired, Percio really does try to get as much action and movement into his story-telling.

More info:
    Cover: Felipe Massafera
    Writer: Warren Ellis
    Art: Facundo Percio

Publisher:

Jan 24th, 2012, 1:48 pm
Jan 24th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Title: The Incal (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Alejandro Jodorowsky (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: James Smart (Review 1) and Geoff Willmetts (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" It crackles with invention: if you like your sci-fi, you'll love this."

Review:
    Review 1 - From its opening panels, in which shambling detective John Difool is thrown through the strata of a great city, passing snipers and copycats on his way to a lake of acid, The Incal is entrancing. Such were this wildly imaginative 80s comic's similarities to The Fifth Element that Jodorowsky sued the film-makers. He lost, but the series should get a deserved new audience with this one-volume reissue, which restores the colouring and the once-censored nudity of the original strip. The hyperactive plot involves a MacGuffin called the Incal; the book's twists and turns are sometimes incomprehensible and sometimes tiresome – and there's a bit too much spiritual waffle along the way – but the "Jodoverse" is an inspired creation, and the pair render it quite brilliantly. The wonderful drawings capture strange worlds populated by technopriests, rubbish-dwelling mutants, doppelgängers, giant jellyfish, chiming forests of gems and jostling, selfish humanity. It crackles with invention: if you like your sci-fi, you'll love this.

Review 2 - This is an English translation of the six-part ‘Une Aventure De John DiFool’ by writer Alejandro Jodorowsky and artist Mobius, first published by Les Humanoides Associés back in 1981 and 1985. Looking at the info, it’s been reprinted in France seven times over the years.

Private Detective John DiFool, in the course of ensuring a woman under his protection gets home before midnight and failing, comes under attack when its discovered that he has come into possession of a small sentient called the Incal which a lot of people want and prepared to kill him for. Aided by a talking Cement Seagull (I think the ‘cement’ gets lost in the translation), he discovers the Black Incal which he hands over to Animah, without realising quite what he’s done and apparently living up to his name. DiFool keeps ahead of everyone until he encounters the Metabaron, forced into hunting him down by the Queen of Amok as his own son, Solune, is held hostage. However, when the Queen wants all three of them killed, sides are changed and all pursue Animah.

This consequently leads them off-world and into a planet of…well, yes it is, in the literal sense of the word. DiFool even takes a back-seat to the other players for a while but this is soon reversed when it’s revealed just who the father of Solune really is and what Animah is really up to. Things aren’t helped when a pursuing TV monitor mechanoid chases after them.

The gap between the first four chapters and the last two looks like it was used by the creators to think about the meaning of everything and where it’s leading. Focus is put back on DiFool and their attack on a warstar and rescuing a planet. Along the way, they aren’t very happy with DiFool after trying to get them to rally against the Darkness enemy and discovers it was his genes that were used to propagate these people in the first place. At least, I think that was the complete gist as that’s a lot of pages for two plot elements without going too spoiler.

In some respects, one can see elements of a French farce in this story. It is also handled extremely well, mostly because the people involved aren’t quite aware of what is going on and are capable of doing idiotic things. Mobius, typically, brings this future city and the worlds to life with incidental detail and a variety of creatures. He’s one of the few artists I know who can drawn in a linear pattern – that is so you’re looking in on events level with the panel rather than varying angles all the time – and not feel too jarring. His colourists, Yves Chaland, Isabelle Beaumeney-Joannet and Zoran Janjetov, contribute to this by using a secondary colour scheme so nothing is coloured in primary colours and complements Moebius’ work.

A rather quirky story with a variety of characters that still holds up well after thirty years. If you haven’t seen any of Moebius’ work before then this graphic novel will give you that opportunity. I’m sure those of you who dwell over every art panel will have a field day with the detail he goes to. Don’t jump out of any buildings.

More info:
    Writer: Alejandro Jodorowsky
    Artist: Mobius

Publisher:
    Image Image

Jan 24th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Jan 26th, 2012, 9:21 am

Title: Blackhawks (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Mike Costa (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Jason Bowles (Review 1) and Jesse Schedeen (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" This series will never become greater than the sum of its parts. "

Review:
    Review 1 - Blackhawks #1
      I certainly give DC credit for diversifying their line by tapping into existing properties that haven’t really been exploited in years (decades even), such as ‘I, Vampire,’ ‘Men at War,’ and ‘All-Star Western.’ ‘Blackhawks’ joins that roster as well.

Originally published by Quality Comics in the 1940s, the original ‘Blackhawk’ series followed a team of pilots from various nations, battling in World War II. Like ‘Men at War,’ the new ‘Blackhawks’ is set in the present and as such focuses on a G.I. Joe-like international team of soldiers and pilots, funded by the United Nations and based out of a mountain top base called The Eyrie. The book focuses on a group of Blackhawks mid-mission, battling terrorists. One of the Blackhawks, a woman named Kunoichi, showboats and is almost killed, but saves herself by the skin of her teeth. She’s bitten by a terrorist and then falls into a radioactive reservoir, which has major results later.

Kunoichi is the only character that really gets any development in the first issue. It is later revealed that she is sleeping with her teammate Wildman, but wants to keep it secret. She appears to be infected by “nanocites” and that has some startling consequences. Overall, she comes across as reckless and tough, but it felt a little hollow. I guess she was supposed to be an empowered female character, but Costa doesn’t bother making her likeable, so I’m not really all that concerned with what happens to her.

And unfortunately, the whole book is seemingly hinging on her. There are other characters, but none of them really gets much of a spotlight. The team’s leader is named Andrew Lincoln, but he barely appears. Some of the Blackhawks have confusing code names, like The Irishman. Obviously with a name like that, I “read” his voice with an Irish accent. It’s later explained that he is from the Ukraine, and is only called The Irishman because of his red hair. Another member is from Atlanta, but is called “Canada” because of some experience at a bar in Calgary. It’s really strange and unnecessarily complicated. I guess the writer, Mike Costa, was going for “in-jokey,” but it just felt clunky. There’s a character named Lady Blackhawk, but she has black hair and an eyepatch, so presumably she isn’t Zinda Blake, the original Lady Blackhawk who recently appeared in ‘Birds of Prey.’

This book is pretty much just ‘Blackhawks’ in name only. There’s no reference to the original team. I don’t even know if the originals still exist in the new DC Universe. Their base is different. They don’t even really seem all that aircraft-oriented. They’re just kind of generically military. It’s essentially a tepid G.I. Joe knock-off. Nanocites or nanites or whatever you want to call them, are one of the most over-used plot devices in the past couple of years. If I never read another comic that uses them, it’ll be too soon. The art, layouts by Graham Nolan and finished art by Ken Lashley is appropriately gritty. It flows well, is consistent and suits the book.

I was really into ‘G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero,’ growing up, the cartoon, the comics and the toys. I love Garth Ennis’ vaguely militaristic ‘The Boys’ comic. War and military-themed comics can work, but this one felt trite, derivative and dull. There’s just nothing here that makes me want to read any more. Comics should be more than super heroes, but I’m not a fan of this or ‘Men at War,’ so I think DC is missing an opportunity here. If only their military books were working as well as their horror books.

Review 2 - Blackhawks #2
      Will the existence of the Blackhawks be revealed to the world?

If the G.I. Joe franchise were suddenly transplanted into the DC Universe, you'd have the new Blackhawks series. If that sounds like an enticing idea, then by all means, dive right in. If not, issue #2 at least shows a few signs that the series will manage to distinguish itself in time.

Actually, issue #2 takes on a bit of a Metal Gear Solid vibe as the elite soldiers battle a super-powered, cyborg, ninja assassin. Nothing wrong with that equation. This sequence in particular allows the artists room to flex and give the book some visual punch. The series isn't exactly benefiting from a stable art crew, however. Graham Nolan handles layouts while Trevor McCarthy provides layouts. Generally the two work well together, offering up some fluid action scenes and a generally solid sense of design. But there are panels where the art becomes flat and lifeless.

In terms of plotting and pacing Costa is handling the series well. There isn't much about the series that feels terribly original, but the conflict is engaging thus far. Where Costa needs to focus is characterization. The various members of the Blackhawks are mostly interchangeable soldier types. There's a character named Lady Blackhawk, but she neither resembles nor looks anything like the one made popular in books like Birds of Prey. Without a stronger, more identifiable cast, this series will never become greater than the sum of its parts.

More info:
    Written by Mike Costa
    Layouts by Graham Nolan
    Finished Art and Cover by Ken Lashley

Publisher:

Jan 26th, 2012, 9:21 am
Jan 26th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Title: Hell Eternal (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Jamie Delano (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Gweek (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" The world of this book will haunt you long after you put it away."

Review:
    Jamie Delano is an experience. He has given the comic world more consistently than a whole lot of other writers well-grounded depictions of the dark heart of Anglo-American civilisation. After 2 decades, his inaugural run on Hellblazer remains the standard for characterising the quintessential booze-and-chums-hugging clueless working-class hero. His Outlaw Nation, that ill-fated and under-appreciated classic, is an epic family saga that uses the road as its metaphor for brutally dissecting a century of the spirit of White America.

If Delano can do sprawling episodic narratives, he can also do the opposite, cut that small gem you can hold at the tip of one finger. Hell Eternal, in less than 65 pages, manages astonishingly to capture the distinct diseases eating away at the core of not one but 2 vast terrains, both deep-land Britain and America. The story follows 3 young and bright Britons in what seems at first to be an ordinarily eccentric struggle for domestic power. Lesbian goth Anne’s relationship with bisexual femme fatale Sarah turns around irredeemably when amateur White supremacist David enters their lives.

Then, in a twinkling of an eye, the tale becomes something else altogether. The connections between sex and gun violence take on an intensifying life-destroying symbolism: which should rise to be the meaning for which? We are steadily forced to observe Delano’s blunt critique of both creative but naive British youth counter-culture and the ruthlessness of the hard conservative White culture of armed America. Be warned: the world of this book will haunt you long after you put it away.

Gweek gives this nightmare 9 rounds through the heart.

More info:
    Author: Delano, Jamie
    Illustrator: Phillips, Sean

Publisher:

Jan 26th, 2012, 3:29 pm
Jan 26th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Title: Dead@17: Afterbirth (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Josh Howard (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: pozzyfreak (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" I recommend picking the comic up whether you are returning to the series or checking it out for the first time. "

Review: Dead @ 17: Afterbirth #1
    Some Thoughts Before The Review: I’m a bit hesitant to read the first chapter of the new Dead @ 17 mini-series because I have yet to finish the Dead @ 17 Ultimate Edition that I picked up a few weeks back. While I’ve been impressed with what I’ve read of Josh Howard’s series so far, I can’t help but wonder if Afterbirth #1 is going to leave me feeling almost completely lost. If that’s the case and I’m clearly in a bad position to be fairly grading the book, I have a backup plan.

The Story: As more and more people become “marked” (and likely one step closer to becomes one of Hell’s minions), Nara and Hazy try to figure out what their next step should be. Meanwhile, members of Zodiac await a messenger…

What’s Good and What’s Not So Good: I’ll openly admit to being intimidated by the daunting recap text that opens Dead @ 17: Afterbirth #1. In fact, I’ll go as far as to say that it instantly made me start thinking about how exactly I would write my review “backup plan” style. Thankfully though, my backup plan will remain nothing more than a plan because the first chapter of Dead @ 17: Afterbirth turns out to be surprisingly accessible and quite entertaining once the shock from the recap page wears off.

While it’s clear that I’m missing a large portion of the Dead @ 17 plot (as I expected), Josh Howard does a pretty good job of writing Afterbirth #1 in a way that is sure to satisfy nearly all readers. The unexpectedly complex (somewhat unoriginal) plot is introduced, the necessary information is given, and the story moves forward at a pace that keeps things interesting. That said, there’s no denying how exposition heavy the dialogue feels from time since there’s so much that Howard has to establish.

Now I’m well aware that using lots of exposition is a necessary evil a writer must contend with when writing a number one issue. And, in one sense, I’m happy the evil is necessary since I’m (fairly) new to Howard’s series. But as a critic, I can’t help but notice how awkward some of the exposition feels. It makes some scenes feel clunky and unnatural, especially those that really rely on dialogue to move things along.

The artwork in Dead @ 17: Afterbirth #1 is sure to be divisive because of how often it wanders into cheesecake territory (though the same could be said of the dialogue, which gets a bit silly at times). However, that doesn’t mean that it’s devoid of universally appealing traits. Howard’s distinct style is clean, crisp, and full of personality. Also, visually, Afterbirth’s story flows quite well. Though I will say that an early costume change can turn out to be a source of confusion if you aren’t paying close attention. The major downside to Howard’s style is that it makes every female character look exactly the same as far as facial features are concerned. When reading Afterbirth #1, you will quickly realize that hairstyle and hair color are truly defining character traits.

Conclusion: Dead @ 17: Afterbirth #1 is stylish, intriguing, and surprisingly friendly to new readers, but it does have a noticeable flaw or two. Still, I recommend picking the comic up whether you are returning to the series or checking it out for the first time. You’ll probably be glad that you did.

More info:
    Josh Howard (Writer & Artist)

Publisher:

Jan 26th, 2012, 4:43 pm
Jan 27th, 2012, 6:51 am

Title: Dead@17: The Witch queen (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Josh Howard (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Eric Shirey (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" There's not much I can say bad about this chapter in the D@17 series."

Review: Dead@17 - the Witch Queen Issue One
    Josh Howard continues his adventures of Nara Kilday in the Dead@17 universe in the first issue of The Witch Queen. This time around, Nara has ended up in Purgatory trying to live in isolation away from the battle between good and evil, but no one involved seems to want to let her.

It is pretty cool how Howard ties two of his different comic book worlds together. It's almost like he had it planned out from the beginning, which very well could be. He's got the main bad girl from The Lost Books of Eve, Lilith, trapped in Purgatory with Nara. Another fun return to the series is the reappearance of Joan D'Arc, who is the "resurrected" incarnation of the original female warrior leader.

Once again, there's not much I can say bad about this chapter in the D@17 series. It constantly moves forward at a frenzied pace and has some great plot twists and turns on the journey. Howard never lets me down in both story and artwork.

The religious aspects of the story are still intact. No matter how controversial his skimpy-dressed female character artwork may be, he sticks to his guns when it comes to the message and theme behind the stories.

More info:

Publisher:

Jan 27th, 2012, 6:51 am
Jan 27th, 2012, 11:34 am

Title: Dead@17: Blood of Saints (Click to go to the release post)
Review source: Noah Soudrette (Review 1) and Sesho (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" He's definitely growing here and this is a better story than the first one."

Review:
    Review 1 - While I feel that this really deserves a three instead of a four, I'm giving it a four simply for the marked improvement in Josh Howard's storytelling and panel layouts. He's definitely growing here and this is a better story than the first one. Again, his art is awesome and is still the bigger draw.

Review 2 - After the events of the first series Nara thought she could rest easy, at least from the demons who wanted to use her to rule the world. But she still has to disguise herself and keep the fact that she is still alive secret except from a few people. The evil demon Bolabogg has not been idle. There is another girl, Violet Grey, who, like Nara, is one of the "Resurrected". The difference is that Bolabogg has possessed her and intends to use her in place of Nara. While Nara's friends Hazy and Elijah get a little mood for love going, she realizes that she just might have to face the forces of evil by herself.

This second trade paperback seemed pretty much like a repeat of the first series. Kinda like destroying the Death Star twice in the first Star Wars Trilogy. The plot is pretty much the same except Violet takes the place of Nara. It would have worked better as complimentary alternate realities instead of saying that Blood of Saints advances the characters beyond the first series. The art is amiable but again, the plot was a repeat.

More info:

Publisher:

Jan 27th, 2012, 11:34 am
Jan 27th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Title: Dead@17 (Click to go to the release post)
Review source: Mr. Od Smith (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" A breath of fresh air that had been missing for some time."

Review:
    When Dead@17 first hit the shelves a couple of years ago, it was a breath of fresh air that had been missing for some time. An artist that was practically unheard of from a new studio (Josh Howard at Viper Comics) crashed into comic shops like a sledgehammer and turned more than enough heads.

The story itself is pretty simple - 17 year old Nara Kilday lives in a go-nowhere town living her life with her best friend Hazy, and generally being bored. Then she gets brutally killed early on and laid to rest, as it starts to emerge there may have been occult undercurrents to her death - a lot of mysterious writing appears in her diary, among other things. Come to think of it, why are there zombies roaming around all of a sudden, seemingly under someone's control? And, the real kicker, is how comes Nara is apparently alive and well, despite being buried, to save hazy from attack? And that's just issue #1...

There's a lot to recommend about Dead@17 to newcomers. The artwork looks like nothing out there, with rich colours and something about the look that falls somewhere between cartoonish and anime style, with enough detail to make it stand out, but not so much every frame is overwrought. It's hard to explain, but it does stick out.

The plot, character development and dialogue are all razor sharp and everything moves along at a great pace as all the different threads to the story intertwine perfectly and doesn't sound contrived to reach each and every cliff-hanger, demanding you turn the pages and see more. And, although it is a violent comic (zombie slayings at regular intervals - usually with axes or bats), it isn't lurid in its depiction as, say, The Walking Dead is, and is handles maturely with an artistic splash of red.

With such vibrant energy on display, this story has it all for the casual or hardcore comic reader and deserves to be sought out by those who missed it first time around, which is a lot of people as it flew off the shelves. The second book, Blood of Saints is also highly recommended, although the third (and final) book Revolution book can't keep up with the high stakes set before, it still outshines so much of the current market.

More info:

Publisher:

Jan 27th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Jan 27th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Title: Misplaced@17 (Click to go to the release post)
Writer(s): Josh Blaylock and Josh Howard (Click to see other books from this writer released on this site)
Review source: Ray Sidman (Review 1) and comiccollectorlive (Review 2) (Don't click it, read the review here... ;) )

" Fans of the two respective series will find this an entertaining adventure."

Review:
    Review 1 - This one-shot crossover teams the star of Devil’s Due Publishing’s Misplaced, Alyssa of Realm 77, with the star of Viper Comics Dead@17 titles, Nara Kilday. Alyssa is alien, Nara is a “Resurrected.” (Sticking with me so far?)

Baddies after Nara—needing her to serve as “The Incubator” for their demon lord—run into other beings from Realm 77 and, in turn, decide they’ll take Alyssa, instead. Battles, bloodshed, and not a little humor abound. This story is written and drawn by Blaylock. There’s also a four–page story at the end of the book, written and drawn by Howard. Fans of the two respective series will find this an entertaining adventure. Blaylock’s art works well for this horror/comedy, which doesn’t take itself too seriously. The plot, though largely action–driven, considers the loneliness of Nara and the confusion of new Earth resident Alyssa.

Whether this one–shot will have lasting ramifications in either the Misplaced or Dead@17 universes remains to be seen.

Review 2 - Misplaced@17 is a comic book series staring Alyssa from Realm 77, a hi-tech utopia where those who question authority aren't treated kindly. Even stranger, the only person who does question it is Alyssa. Ostracized from her peers since childhood, and subjected to numerous medical tests by the mysterious Elders, Alyssa grew more and more intolerant of her home. Then came the dreams of another world... of Earth. Alyssa learned about our world through her dreams, but still doesn't get everything quite right.

When the Elders discovered she was developing incredible powers, Alyssa escaped to Earth to live a normal life in a small college town, but wasn't allowed peace for very long. When hunted down by Realm soldiers, Alyssa's powers fully manifested, and she returned to the Realm, bringing down their grip on its people. All she wants to do now is hang out, go to clubs and be normal... but that's not Alyssa's destiny.

Dead@17 is the story of 17 year old Nara Kilday. Nara was brutally murdered, only to be brought back as one of the "Resurrected," those who are marked from birth to be reborn upon death. The Resurrected are given access to great heavenly powers to aid them in the fight against evil. A sinister cult sought to use Nara as a host for their demonic lord, Bolabogg, so that with his help they could remake the world in their image. But Nara proved too powerful for them and sent Bolabogg back to his dimension.

This story takes place after the events of Misplaced #4 and before Dead@17: Blood of Saints.

More info:
    Written by Josh Blaylock & Josh Howard
    Art by Josh Blaylock & Josh Howard

Publisher:
    Image Image

Jan 27th, 2012, 1:50 pm