Book reviews by Mobilism's Book Review team
Jan 28th, 2017, 8:07 pm

TITLE: The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion
AUTHOR: Isa Chandra Moskowitz
GENRE: Cookbooks, Food & Diet > Entertaining & Holidays > Vegetarian & Vegan
PUBLISHED: November 15, 2016
RATING: ★★★★★

PURCHASE LINKS: Amazon iBook Store
MOBILISM LINK: Read Here

Description: Bestselling author, vegan goddess, and comfort food queen Isa Chandra Moskowitz is back with her biggest book ever–to prove that making festive vegan food for any occasion can be easy, delicious, and superfun.

Gone are the days of stressing over how to please family and friends with different dietary needs. Bursting with knock-your-socks-off, mind-bogglingly tasty vegan recipes for Cinnamon Apple Crepes, Cheeseburger Pizza, Biscuits and Gravy, Churro Biscotti, and so much more, The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook will make everyone at your table happy-even meat eaters and the gluten challenged.

Isa provides everything you need to get your party started, from finger food and appetizers to casseroles, roasts, and dozens of special sides. Then comes a throng of cakes, cookies, cobblers, loaves, pies, and frozen treats to make you feel like the best dang vegan cook in the world.

You'll start with New Year's, stop for Valentine's Day on the way to Easter and Passover, party down from Cinco de Mayo through the Fourth of July, and cook through Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and Christmas. And with more than 250 seasonal recipes, you'll mix, match, and remix for every celebration in between–filling your life with holiday cheer the whole year round.

Review: People choose to be vegan for health, environmental, or ethical reasons; also to promote a more humane and caring world. Veganism is more on the rise as vegan diets are free of cholesterol and are generally low in saturated fat, thus eating a Vegan diet purportedly reduces the risk of major chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. The author Isa Chandra Moskowitz is well known for many of her best-selling Vegan Cookbooks as well as her TV Show ‘Post Punk Kitchen’.

The Vegan Holiday Cookbook is a 440 page treasure trove full of Vegan menus for every given holiday you can think of - from New Year’s Eve to Mardi Gras to 4th of July. Think of the Holiday, and the cookbook has it. It is quite literally ‘Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion’. There are many vegan cookbooks in the market but not one specifically dedicated to the holidays, at least none with so many options.
The reason I wrote this book is simple: I love to cook for holidays and special occasions. Every holiday. Even holidays I didn’t grow up celebrating and even occasions that I don’t especially believe in. Any excuse to bring people together around food is good enough for me. I also wrote this book for everyone who’s ever asked what to serve to the vegans in their lives that is more than just salad. And for every vegan who has ever wondered what to serve to their family at Thanksgiving that would knock their turkey socks off. This book is full of crowd pleasers. Food that is familiar to the occasion, with a fun vegan translation. Food that will bring everyone together.

Instead of the usual segregation of cookbooks based upon entrees, mains, etc, there are 17 Holiday bases sections in the Book. NEW YEAR’S, SUPER BOWL, CHINESE NEW YEAR, VALENTINE’S DAY, MARDI GRAS, OSCARS PARTY, ST. PATRICK’S DAY, EASTER, PASSOVER, CINCO DE MAYO, MOTHER’S And FATHER’S DAYS, FOURTH OF JULY, ROSH HASHANAH And YOM KIPPUR, HALLOWEEN, THANKSGIVING, HANUKKAH, and CHRISTMAS.

All the recipes are beautifully fully-illustrated and with easy-to-follow instructions. It even consists of a recipe for vegan candy corn for Halloween and a very cute green coloured Shamrock Shake for St. Patrick’s Day.
SHAMROCKIN’ SHAKES

1 ripe avocado
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite nondairy milk)
½ cup agave
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup fresh mint leaves

Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a medium container. Pour in the coconut milk. Put the container in the freezer for 45 minutes. The mixture should be really, really cold but not frozen, although a little iciness is okay.

Transfer the avocado-coconut mixture to a blender. Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve cold and frosty.

The festive occasions have entire menus dedicated to them with various options. You don’t have to go with menu’s planned in the book, you can always mix and match as per your own preferences. Gluten-Free suggestions are also given for people who abstain from gluten.

There are many people for whom the Holidays are not exactly the best time of the year as mostly all Holiday menus are based around meat and when they visit their friends/relatives house they just have salads or bread to eat; omnivore people too can find many ideas for recipes from this book as nowadays in each circle there is almost someone who is a Vegan or Vegetarian. There are various vegan cookbooks available but none so concentrated, the book is a huge help and it's beautiful.

The Vegan Holiday Cookbook is definitely a must have for not just Vegan or Vegetarian people, but also for people who enjoy a healthy lifestyle and who aren’t afraid to take a new turn on their traditional meat or egg-based recipes. Without question, The Vegan Holiday Cookbook is the best Vegan holiday compilation cookbook available. 'Nuff said, start cooking now!
Jan 28th, 2017, 8:07 pm
Jan 28th, 2017, 8:31 pm
I decided to get the book after reading this review, even though I'm not a vegan.
Excellent review WD :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jan 28th, 2017, 8:31 pm
Jan 29th, 2017, 11:05 am
Thanks PW, I hope you enjoy it :)
Jan 29th, 2017, 11:05 am

If you want to be happy, be... Happiness depends upon ourselves. :wave:

Cheers,
Diva ♥ x
Jan 29th, 2017, 1:14 pm
Great review WD, I also got book! :)
Jan 29th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Jan 29th, 2017, 1:50 pm
Oooh you tempt me WD!! :)

It's food and its healthy. Love your review! I'm getting the book too

Xx :)
Jan 29th, 2017, 1:50 pm
Jan 30th, 2017, 9:13 pm
Thanks Emm & Bookie :D

It's humbling to know that it makes you wanna try it :thumbup:

Xx
Jan 30th, 2017, 9:13 pm

Cheers,
Diva ♥ x
Feb 2nd, 2017, 3:44 pm
Thank you WordDiva for the wonderful review of Isa's book. I have long felt that she does not get the literary exposure she deserves because she does not play the celebrity cheffe games in the publishing industry. All of her books are terrific with healthy fun food. So happy to see this book featured here !
Feb 2nd, 2017, 3:44 pm
Feb 4th, 2017, 11:44 pm
Thanks effstop :D

I am glad you liked it, I totally agree about her being underrated then some of the other chefs who are not even worthy of half the publicity they get. Keep looking at this space for more books like this :thumbup:
Feb 4th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Cheers,
Diva ♥ x
Aug 1st, 2019, 5:47 pm
Isa Chandra Moskowitz is amazing, I cant wait for this to come out Between her and Sarah Kramer Im really amazed vegans havent actually take over the world yet.
Aug 1st, 2019, 5:47 pm

https://www.sportzfuel.com/
Sep 3rd, 2019, 2:29 am
Thanks for the tip I got the free cookbook a few months back. I recently moved so I havent had a chance to cook anything from it yet, but there are some yummy looking recipes in there.

Im vegan, so I appreciate good recipes
Sep 3rd, 2019, 2:29 am

https://www.winterisnotcoming.org/monkey-crib-bedding/
Sep 5th, 2019, 7:12 pm
There is a new book from her which will be coming out either this month later on or next month, looking forward to it. Will see and try to review the same ... as I already have my mark set on another Veg cookbook on which I haven't got my hands on yet :D Hopefully soon :lol:
Sep 5th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Cheers,
Diva ♥ x
Feb 19th, 2020, 3:24 am
I am going to stuff mine into leeks (steam the leeks, pop out the center rings, stuff in haggis). Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Superfun Times Holiday Cookbook has a recipe for tempeh sausages using leeks as the "casing", which is where I got the idea from. Not exactly traditional, but I think it will make for a nice presentation when serving.
Feb 19th, 2020, 3:24 am