Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Jul 4th, 2017, 11:53 am
Yes, the cover will be the one that determines the first impression. If the cover is not attractive, i'd probably wouldn't even bother picking it up. LOL.
Jul 4th, 2017, 11:53 am
Jul 4th, 2017, 12:20 pm
I try not to. The covers are usually beyond the author's control (unless they self-publish) so I don't think it's fair to judge. I try to look at reviews by people that I trust on Goodreads or Youtube, and see if the first chapters hooks me.
Jul 4th, 2017, 12:20 pm
Sep 1st, 2017, 12:22 am
Absolutely, an attractive cover has made me buy books even if the subject doesn't interest me at all.
Sep 1st, 2017, 12:22 am
Sep 6th, 2017, 8:19 am
They say "don't judge a book by its cover" ... somehow I am tempted to do that often :( However, I also read reviews and the blurb before deciding and before I forget the author's bio or my previous reads from the author to get an idea ...
Sep 6th, 2017, 8:19 am
Sep 6th, 2017, 4:15 pm
I work at a library, and have noticed I do this more so than ever. I'm not sure it's a good thing...
Sep 6th, 2017, 4:15 pm
Sep 17th, 2017, 4:16 am
Image vs. Image

I mean come on...
Sep 17th, 2017, 4:16 am
Oct 1st, 2017, 3:55 am
hell no because covers can fool you. a really good example is Stephen King he's had some awful covers and an even better example is when he was with Signet for his paperback books. here's what Signet did every few years they would for some reason redo the covers and some of them were pretty good and some of them were really awful. but the books they were on were great i think. a really great example is his book' The Regulators the Original cover was an awesome cover and even the 1st edition paperback cover as was awesome but the book was awful so you never know about what is good or bad until you read it.

in short it can go either way some of the best books have the worst covers and some of the worst books have the best covers at times it goes that way but not always.
Oct 1st, 2017, 3:55 am
Oct 1st, 2017, 5:45 am
I do, it can sometime be the difference of me giving a book a chance or just pass over it. If I read good reviews about it, I will overlook the bad covers though.
Oct 1st, 2017, 5:45 am
Oct 1st, 2017, 10:38 pm
here is the thing everyone is going to have their opinion of said book. i'm a big Stephen King fan and i thought the book Carrie was awful simply awful and that's had some great covers. the cover the Original cover to The Girl that loves Tom Gordon also by King had an awesome cover yet the book was boring and was one of his work yet both books many people love to death so it is a matter of what you think. i really hate the movie no country for old men as it's one of the boring films of all time and that film got best picture of the year back than. many love it and i hate it so there's another good example and that's based off a book that i never will read.

Anne Rice's last book i forget the name of it that came out last year has an awesome cover yet i hear it's an awful book but i still will read it. i've read books that have been praised this and not by critics by people on say bookbub and i ended up loving it. a good example is i love Patricia Cornwell and some of the reviews for some of her books in her Scarpetta Series in whatever book i was reading at the time a LOT of people said this book is THIS bad or whatever and if i had listened to them i wouldn't have read it at all in what turned out to be one of the in the series thus far well where i am reading wise in that series.

kinda like how the (1982) film The Thing flopped when it 1st came out back than at the box office and that's one of the best horror films of all time. or use another film example of Human bondage the (1934) version with Bette Davis that i can't remember if she won an oscar that year or not but the film was a huge hit. yet i think the movie is simply awful. and not even among her best roles or how good she could be. or another good example is when Disclosure 1st came out the book not the film someone says to me you won't like the book cause they honestly didn't think i would. so i took that as a challenge i had no idea what it was about or what the cover even looked like and i read it and i really loved it and the film too that later came out. so you never know what you will like until you eat it, watch it or read it.

regardless if the film has a great poster a good example that i'm a huge B movie fan and in the 50's they had thousands of movies that came out and they had awesome posters yet the films some of them were so bad that you felt you were in pain watching them cause they were so bad. but if you watch it just to see if you like it you may like it. that's how i think anyways.
Oct 1st, 2017, 10:38 pm
Oct 10th, 2017, 1:27 pm
I do sometimes, the covers needs to convey the essence of the book that is described in the synoopsis, there are somme that definetly drive me away but other managed to capture my interest, no matter how good or bad that resulted.
Oct 10th, 2017, 1:27 pm
Oct 19th, 2017, 12:40 am
Yeah. It's the only concrete visual I will get from the book (unless it is turned into a movie or a T.V series) so book covers are very important to me.
Oct 19th, 2017, 12:40 am
Oct 19th, 2017, 8:20 pm
Nope , I focus mainly on the blurb. If that is good I will read it.Besides , Ilona Andrews's Hidden Legacy books covers proved to me that never judge a book by it's cover.
Oct 19th, 2017, 8:20 pm
Oct 20th, 2017, 9:11 am
mit2591 wrote:Nope, I focus mainly on Proextender and the blurb. If that is good I will read it.Besides , Ilona Andrews's Hidden Legacy books covers proved to me that never judge a book by it's cover.

When I'm searching for a new book, and I don't have an idea what I want, absolutely. I can't help it.
Oct 20th, 2017, 9:11 am
Oct 28th, 2017, 11:42 pm
Well it depends, if the cover doesn't look appealing then I may not read or pick it up, but sometimes I might see reviews saying the book is good, in which case regardless of what it looks like, I give it a go.
Oct 28th, 2017, 11:42 pm