Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Feb 10th, 2018, 9:29 pm
What is the best way to learn a foreign language? I am wanting to learn a new language, and I'm not able to take language courses at my college, so I am looking for other ways. I have downloaded an app called Duolingo, which is great so far - but I don't know if this app will help me be completely fluent.
Feb 10th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Feb 12th, 2018, 10:05 pm
Talking is the best way of course! There are groups on reddit and other websites to find someone that wants to learn a language you speak and they teach you their language, you can skype and chat with them so that could help. Also, at least for me, Youtube and media in general helped a lot. I would watch videos, movies, listen to podcasts, anything and little by little your ear kind of gets used to the new words and slowly you pass from translating each word to just understanding them naturally.

If you research in wikipedia, read news, watch funny videos, etc.. use all that time browsing online to learn about the new language by switching to that language version of the sites. Also look for cultural events near you, where I live there are french, german, italian and probably more cultural centers so they make lots of free events as concerts, movies, etc..., and you get to meet people from those countries to help you learn quicker.
Feb 12th, 2018, 10:05 pm
Feb 23rd, 2018, 8:05 pm
The fastest way I've found is to date a native speaker who doesn't speak your language that fluently.
Next best is to live in an area where it's the primary language.
Third best is an immersion program, or to otherwise dedicate yourself to watching shows/talking/etc in the language as much as possible.

They all work on a similar principle: how motivated you are to learn the language and how much time you spend working at it are far larger factors in how quickly you pick it up than the particular academic/training approach you use is.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 8:05 pm
Feb 23rd, 2018, 8:27 pm
nyxeus wrote:I have downloaded an app called Duolingo, which is great so far - but I don't know if this app will help me be completely fluent.

No app, no course, no book will ever make you completely fluent, you need full immersion for that.
But Duolingo ist a good place to get started, in my opinion. I have been using it for more than two years now, brushing up and improving my school French, learning Norwegian to a level that lets me read online articles and childrens books in the language, and some basic Russian.
Tip: For a more interesting learning experience, use the desktop version whenever possible.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 8:27 pm
Feb 23rd, 2018, 11:16 pm
Duolingo definitely good starting place.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 11:16 pm
Feb 25th, 2018, 1:00 pm
immersion is the best method. of course nothing beats actually living in a country that speaks the language in question, but surrounding oneself with it (tv, radio, books) combined with daily studying (duolingo isn't bad for that, but definitely needs to be complemented by a grammar guide) achieves pretty decent results.
Feb 25th, 2018, 1:00 pm
Feb 27th, 2018, 8:27 am
watch tv or even kids cartoons/shows in that language. i'm sure you can find loads on youtube.
Feb 27th, 2018, 8:27 am

sorry i don't have time to reupload anything.
Feb 27th, 2018, 1:34 pm
I second that.
Find some youtube news type show where you can listen and read their lips. A news story will have images of what they aretalking about so you get an idea of what is spoken
Feb 27th, 2018, 1:34 pm
Mar 1st, 2018, 8:04 am
try duolingo.
Mar 1st, 2018, 8:04 am

Twitter @HgwrtzExprss
Join Mobilism Discord server to get instant updates on contests: https://discord.gg/JqD2wAWSGw

Mar 4th, 2018, 12:50 pm
I've tried listening to internet radio from France.
Mar 4th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Mar 6th, 2018, 12:38 am
Dual language books is another way .
Mar 6th, 2018, 12:38 am
Mar 28th, 2018, 2:58 am
I believe making yourself extremely exposed to the particular language is the best. And also, have a practice partner, preferable one who is fluent in it. Read in that language, listen to songs to improve your pronunciation, watch the movies. Try to watch it without the subtitle, and see if you can understand the dialog. Make the new language part of your daily life and actively use it.
Mar 28th, 2018, 2:58 am
Aug 9th, 2019, 5:35 am
untxi wrote:immersion is the best method. of course nothing beats actually living in a country that speaks the language in question, but surrounding oneself with it (tv, radio, books) combined with daily studying (duolingo isn't bad for that, but definitely needs to be complemented by a grammar guide) achieves pretty decent results.

I agree immersion is the best method for learning a foreign language. As just studying will get you only so far. As you need to interact with the natives who speak the language to get a better understanding of the language.
Aug 9th, 2019, 5:35 am