Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
May 16th, 2018, 2:40 pm
I don’t, they are scattered over a dozen memory sticks at the moment. It’s becoming a nightmare to find anything but I don’t have the willpower to sort them.
May 16th, 2018, 2:40 pm
May 19th, 2018, 4:37 am
usually in folders by date, also verlag, like autonomedia etc, or by topic, esp if about me.
May 19th, 2018, 4:37 am
May 20th, 2018, 1:53 pm
For my android device, i just upload my books to 3 folders on google drive, , one named HORROR the other named THRILLERS and the third named TRUE CRIME. Then download them to google play books, and start reading. Its a pity google play books only allows 1000 books to be uploaded.
May 20th, 2018, 1:53 pm
May 21st, 2018, 5:10 pm
bit late to the party on one.

Have a look at Nimbooks. Clean and easy to use. Can even link to your Kindle, just like Calibre.
Create your own lists to help with filing.
Haven't gone back to Calibre since starting with Nimbooks

http://www.nimbooks.com/EN/
May 21st, 2018, 5:10 pm

I Like You. When I Rule The World, Your Death Will Be Quick & Painless
Aug 24th, 2018, 6:21 am
I use calibre portable. That way I can keep books on the PC or an external thumb or hard drive. I don't have the world's best memory so Calibre also allows me to add and read book descriptions. It also allows me to format the books in a way that makes sense to me e.g. reformat epub into mobi for kindle, add titles and sort series into order:

(Cabbage Patch 01) The Attack of the Cabbage Patch Dolls by D. Rivel
(Cabbage Patch 02) The Return of the Cabbage Patch Dolls by D. Rivel
(Cabbage Patch 03) Dear God! Not Another Cabbage Patch Sequel by D. Rivel

etc.

Then I can either save them to an external folder or move them to Kindle and know that I can read them in order. It takes time but makes life easier in the long run as I tend to reread books and series that I've really enjoyed.
Aug 24th, 2018, 6:21 am
Aug 24th, 2018, 8:40 am
Pdf everything can open it
Aug 24th, 2018, 8:40 am

Aug 28th, 2018, 6:11 am
i think most people use caliber and sort by genre, then author.
Aug 28th, 2018, 6:11 am
Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:00 am
by genre
Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:00 am
Oct 7th, 2018, 10:59 am
Running close to 17000 books and counting.

What I have found is the more books, the more organised they must be, Otherwise searching become painful, removing duff books & duplicates becomes problematic and finding the holes in series impractical.

Regardless there is no perfect classification system. I just aim for good enough to muddle through - and if make changes to how I label them I won't necessarily update each and every one.

I only go for sf & fantasy so no genre problems - and genre would be a real problem cause series drift between them. A series may start as YA, rapidly evolve into romance then on to action adventure before the male lead has to change a nappy. Ultimately its Sci-fi/fantasy cause in my very biased opinion it stands up as such, regardless of other content.

A folder for each author in the format:
Kenneth Bulmer (Alan Burt Akers) XX 9.18
1 to 3 X's are a measure of how much I liked the books. No X just means I ain't got round to finding out.The number is the last month I updated the contents. If the Author uses another name it goes in brackets. A book usually goes in the folder for first author on the book cover. For a series it goes to the originating author.

Book labels are: (eng) Author - Series - Title:
(eng) Kate Elliott - Spiritwalker 03 - Cold Steel

The (eng) is for redistribution to clarify the language.

However it gets complicated
A compendium:
(eng) Kate Elliott - Jaran 1-4 - Jaran, An Earthly Crown, His Conquering Sword, The Law of Becoming
More than one title:
(eng) Robert A. Heinlein - Sixth Column (aka The Day After Tomorow)
Series with 2 consistent authors:
(eng) Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough - Petaybee 02 - Power lines
Series with varying co-authors:
(eng) Mercedes Lackey & Other - Bedlam's Bard 05 - Mad Maudlin (with Rosemary Edghil)
Short Story Collection:
(eng) H. Beam Piper - SSC - Empire

I also use abbreviations like PQ (poor quality scan) NC (no cover). This so I know to look for better copies.
Oct 7th, 2018, 10:59 am
Oct 7th, 2018, 8:30 pm
Calibre with different libraries for different main genres. ie. Children's, Main, Comics, Audiobooks, Cookbooks etc. One of the great things about compressing audiobook chapters into a single MP3 file (for me) was the ability to then have them easily accessible through calibre :) Calibre is a lifesaver for me, used to be a nightmare having an ebook file with thousands of subdivided file folders. o_O
Oct 7th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Please try ALL links, before using the reupload button :wave:
Oct 7th, 2018, 8:53 pm
calibre is great for the latest books but not so hot for the old ones found in odd places. They tend to have missing data. Chuck in a few of those n the thing becomes a mess
Oct 7th, 2018, 8:53 pm
Oct 7th, 2018, 9:28 pm
EndStop wrote:Running close to 17000 books and counting.
A folder for each author in the format:
Kenneth Bulmer (Alan Burt Akers) XX 9.18
1 to 3 X's are a measure of how much I liked the books. No X just means I ain't got round to finding out.The number is the last month I updated the contents. If the Author uses another name it goes in brackets. A book usually goes in the folder for first author on the book cover. For a series it goes to the originating author.

Book labels are: (eng) Author - Series - Title:
(eng) Kate Elliott - Spiritwalker 03 - Cold Steel

The (eng) is for redistribution to clarify the language.

However it gets complicated
A compendium:
(eng) Kate Elliott - Jaran 1-4 - Jaran, An Earthly Crown, His Conquering Sword, The Law of Becoming
More than one title:
(eng) Robert A. Heinlein - Sixth Column (aka The Day After Tomorow)
Series with 2 consistent authors:
(eng) Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough - Petaybee 02 - Power lines
Series with varying co-authors:
(eng) Mercedes Lackey & Other - Bedlam's Bard 05 - Mad Maudlin (with Rosemary Edghil)
Short Story Collection:
(eng) H. Beam Piper - SSC - Empire

I also use abbreviations like PQ (poor quality scan) NC (no cover). This so I know to look for better copies.

This was the answer i was Iooking for ..Im using a system very very simiIar, (with Iast update, and name tags) but never though about using abbreviations..

Those are the ones im using

[Retail] - Books that i have bought myself and i have removed the DRM
(Retail) - Books downloaded from Bibliotik tagged as retail
(retail) - Books downloaded from other sites tagged as retail

(X books) tag - The total amount of books in the saga at the moment of my last update. I might miss some, or there are upcoming books yet to be released.
[Complete] - All the books have been found.

Question:
how do you deaI with very Iongs name? do you put it fuIIy or cut a part?

ie:

2. High Fantasy Fiction\K-Z\Mickey Zucker Reichert\The Bifrost Guardians (5 Book Series) [Complete]
Mickey Zucker Reichert - By Chaos Cursed (Bifrost Guardians, Book 5)

1. Norse Mythology\2. Grammar et Literature\7. Sagas, Myths, Poems\Tolkien-related essays & books\Tolkien Studies An Annual Scholarly Review
Douglas A. Anderson, Michael D.C. Drout and Verlyn Flieger - Tolkien Studies An Annual Scholarly Review Volume 5, 2008 [Retail]

at some point its becomes hard to keep with fuIIy naming
Oct 7th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Bibliotheca Alexandrina - December 2022 Update is out!

a collection of almost 800 GB of history books !

~~~~~

Add an Overdrive/Scribd link to the book in your request, improves the chances to fill it
Oct 7th, 2018, 10:57 pm
Well obviously I cut really long names. so far not felt the need to do more than abbreviate the series name for simple books. But then I stick to Author, series and title. No description at all.

For compendiums I get creative. All words are used but if the series titles use the same word repeatedly I often skip the repetitions. If I can't even do that I just put the series name which I hate doing. Makes checking for duplication a pain.

I do prefer compendiums. Anything that helps get all of an authors titles on the screen at the same time is a godsend. Nothing worse than finding you have a whole series duplicated off the bottom of the screen because the series name has changed.
Oct 7th, 2018, 10:57 pm
Oct 8th, 2018, 5:13 am
Oh, and that first book is also in my library.
The folder is: Mickey Zucker Reichert 8.18
The file is : (eng) Mickey Zucker Reichert - Bifrost Guardians 05 - By Chaos Cursed

I know I have all 5 of them cause they list in order.

I don't make any attempt to call them a complete series. Even if the Author is honest about not adding more till the day he dies, there is no saying how many will get tucked in after. Like everything else about books, series length is a fuzzy concept. Does it include future arcs in the same universe? Does it include later short story compilations by the author or even the fans?

So my goal is just to ensure that the available books are read in the right order, or at least not started in the middle of an arc. No easy task in itself. I sometime have to search for recommended reading order. - I'm starting to use the abbreviation RRO for that.
Oct 8th, 2018, 5:13 am
Oct 8th, 2018, 6:28 am
EndStop wrote:Oh, and that first book is also in my library.
The folder is: Mickey Zucker Reichert 8.18
The file is : (eng) Mickey Zucker Reichert - Bifrost Guardians 05 - By Chaos Cursed

I know I have all 5 of them cause they list in order.

I don't make any attempt to call them a complete series. Even if the Author is honest about not adding more till the day he dies, there is no saying how many will get tucked in after. Like everything else about books, series length is a fuzzy concept. Does it include future arcs in the same universe? Does it include later short story compilations by the author or even the fans?

So my goal is just to ensure that the available books are read in the right order, or at least not started in the middle of an arc. No easy task in itself. I sometime have to search for recommended reading order. - I'm starting to use the abbreviation RRO for that.

thank you for the answers,

about the compIete tag i usuaIIy check this:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?678

if theres a triIogy and i have the triIogy for me its compIete (or at Ieast it was at the time of Iast update).
For some popuIar author i do try to get anything that was pubIished but not for everyone otherwise one Iife isnt enough :lol: :lol:
Oct 8th, 2018, 6:28 am

Bibliotheca Alexandrina - December 2022 Update is out!

a collection of almost 800 GB of history books !

~~~~~

Add an Overdrive/Scribd link to the book in your request, improves the chances to fill it