Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm
do you need inspiration in life? do you have a sad & fail life? don't lose hope brother, hope is everything, hope makes us alive, without hope there is no life ... to be inspired , watch the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" , in this movie there is a most important line, script, that is: "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." this is my all time favorite movie :) it changed my life....
Jan 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm
Jan 6th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Obviously YMMV but one of the books that impressed me is Chernobyl Prayer: A Chronicle of the Future by Svetlana Alexievich; it hit all the right notes as I didn't care much about the incident per se but I was extremely intrigued by how the civilians were impacted by it and how they reacted (I was touched by the innocent almost naive thinking of some characters, and was connected to quite a few characters as I could see how I would make the same irrational decisions simply because it felt like the right thing to do). Through the loss, the agony and frustration one could begin to see how this incident, with the way it was handled, became the last draw on the camel's back of the Soviet Union.

On a much lighter note, I recommend watching Johnny English Strike Again (and Johnny English Reborn if you haven't already) for entertaining time. The movie is so absurd and cheesy that I was embarrassed for him to the point I wanted to take my eyes off the screen yet I couldn't! All in all it is a good film to kill time yet at the same time time not wasted (is this a pun?) :thumbs up:
Jan 6th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Jan 9th, 2019, 3:03 pm
You should check out the Thrilling Adventure Hour. It's a podcast but the stories are really funny and Paget Brewster is a treasure.
Jan 9th, 2019, 3:03 pm
Jan 12th, 2019, 8:10 am
I don't know what kind of books do you like,but if you interest in poetry i recommend to you Shahnameh (Book of Kings) which is the world's longest epic poem written by Ferdowsi who was a Persian poet.It tells mainly the mythical and to some extent the historical past of the Persian Empire from the creation of the world until the Arab conquest of Iran in the 7th century. Modern Iran, Azerbaijan, Afghanistan and the greater region influenced by Persian culture (such as Georgia, Armenia, Turkey and Dagestan) celebrate this national epic.The work is divided into three successive parts: the "mythical", "heroic", and "historical" ages.
Jan 12th, 2019, 8:10 am
Jan 12th, 2019, 11:55 pm
Not sure if you like podcasts but I would recommend The James Altucher Show (can check it out on Apple Podcasts). Every podcast he brings in a new speaker. He's talked to authors, artists, rappers, billionaires, drug dealers, astronauts - all who forged their own paths, found financial freedom, and harnessed the power to create meaningful and fulfilling lives.
Jan 12th, 2019, 11:55 pm
Jan 14th, 2019, 5:38 am
Do you like series set in the UK? I wouldn't exactly call it British tv, it's a Netflix series called Sex Education. It's also hysterical. The writing is excellent and witty, and Gillian Anderson plays the protagonist's mum, who is a sex therapist, and their dynamic is great.

Several others have mentioned sci-fi or fantasy, so I'll go ahead and recommend Green by Jay Lake. It's a really good fantasy trilogy, about a girl whose own father sells her into slavery and she is given an education to become a courtesan...while also being taught the ways of assassins by a renegade teacher. Definitely worth checking out!
Jan 14th, 2019, 5:38 am
Jan 14th, 2019, 10:13 pm
If you want to read fantasy, even if you so far haven't been so much into the genre, I recommend the Stormlight Archieves series by Brandon Sanderson, so far that's three books and a novel with 2 more to come.

The world building is really incredible and complex, interesting characters, well written. There is a ton of mediocre to crappy fantasy out there, this series is one of the gems, plus Brandon Sanderson is an author who stays on topic and doesn't start bloating his books more and more with useless side plots the longer a series goes (GRRMartin, I look at you!!!)
Jan 14th, 2019, 10:13 pm
Jan 16th, 2019, 3:43 pm
OK, so one time when I was really little I had a best friend who was kinda strange but so my mom got a call one day asking if she was over at my house because they couldn’t find her and so they call again about two hours later to ask if we could help look for her and so about three hours of looking we had basically covered the entire neighborhood and they were about to call the police and we decided to check their house one more time and my mom went into her room and found her completely naked and sleeping on the top of a super tall shelf in her closet.
Jan 16th, 2019, 3:43 pm
Jan 16th, 2019, 8:00 pm
I'm trying to get into my habit of lecture again, last December I read two great books:

Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari
A non-fiction book that explores the projects, dreams and nightmares that will shape the 21st century - from overcoming death to creating artificial life.

and Foundation, the first science fiction novel in the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
Five interrelated short stories, collectively they tell the early story of an institute founded by psychohistorian Hari Seldon to preserve the best of galactic civilization after the collapse of the Galactic Empire.

I simultaneously switch between audiobooks and ebooks to make the most out of my reading! :)
Jan 16th, 2019, 8:00 pm
Jan 19th, 2019, 5:08 pm
There's this great movie called the Warrior's Way. it has a really low rating, but for me it hit all the right spots. action, comedy, martial arts, western it's a great watch.
Jan 19th, 2019, 5:08 pm
Jan 21st, 2019, 3:21 am
If you haven't read "You" by Caroline Kepnes, you have to! It's now a new show on Netflix. Obviously, the book is 10x better. It's a series! Second book is out, third one not quite yet.
Jan 21st, 2019, 3:21 am
Jan 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm
Triangle (2009). A thriller suspense movie aboard an abandoned Cruise ship. Groundhog Day with the scarecrow. Watch first, read about it on TV tropes later.
Jan 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm
Feb 9th, 2019, 3:18 pm
Can I receive WRZ for this post?
Not sure if you like podcasts but I would recommend The James Altucher Show (can check it out on Apple Podcasts). Every podcast he brings in a new speaker. He's talked to authors, artists, rappers, billionaires, drug dealers, astronauts - all who forged their own paths, found financial freedom, and harnessed the power to create meaningful and fulfilling lives.
Feb 9th, 2019, 3:18 pm
Feb 11th, 2019, 2:30 am
Yes, I would like 150 WRZ$

Here's a story that I think you might find funny.

I have an outdoor cat that comes inside when it's really cold. She pees in the bathtub when she is inside. But this time I left curtains closed. So she jumped on my bed right next to me (she never does this). And I noticed that she was peeing on my bad.
Feb 11th, 2019, 2:30 am
Feb 11th, 2019, 10:17 am
While riding my motorbike, I swerved to avoid hitting a deer, lost control and landed in a ditch, severely banging my head.

Dazed and confused I crawled out of the ditch to the edge of the road when a shiny new convertible pulled up with a very beautiful woman who asked, "Are you okay?"

As I looked up, I noticed she was wearing a low-cut blouse with cleavage to die for...

"I'm okay I think," I replied as I pulled myself up to the side of the car to get a closer look.

She said, “Get in and I’ll take you home, so I can clean and bandage that nasty scrape on your head.”

"That's nice of you," I answered, "but I don't think my wife will like me doing that!"

"Oh, come now, I’m a nurse," she insisted. "I need to see if you have any more scrapes and then treat them properly."

Well, she was pretty and very persuasive. Being sort of shaken and weak, I agreed, but repeated, "I'm sure my wife won't like this."

We arrived at her place which was just few miles away and, after a couple of cold beers and the bandaging, I thanked her and said, "I feel a lot better, but I know my wife is going to be really upset so I'd better go now."

"Don't be silly!" she said with a smile. "Stay for a while. She won't know anything. By the way, where is she?"

"Still in the ditch with the motorbike, I guess."
Feb 11th, 2019, 10:17 am