Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Oct 11th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Does anybody know if it is possible to translate an e-book form German to English? & if you can,how do you go about it?
Oct 11th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Nov 10th, 2019, 10:29 pm
If you mean translate automatically, you won't like the end result much, unless all you need is a vague idea of what the text is about, or if Google has a correct human translation of your text indexed, in which case the output'll be fine.

That said, here's the simplest way to do it:
1- If it's not already a .pdf, convert your epub or .mobi or whatever format your ebook is in to a pdf file (ex: using the free program Calibre).
2- Upload the pdf to https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=docs&sl=auto&tl=en
3- Specify the source language (German) and the target language (English).
4- Get your output file, which will be an automated translation of your book in your browser.
5- Print as pdf to save it.

Note: since a book is large, Google translate will take a while to finish the task. You may want to do one chapter at the time, plus it'll give you an idea if you really want the whole book in English.

I hope this helps :D
Nov 10th, 2019, 10:29 pm
Nov 24th, 2019, 11:33 pm
If it is an epub, you can open it with an archiver program (you may have to change the extension to zip).
Go to the OEPBS directory, and there you will find the html files (or xhtml) that constitute the book. You can treat them the same way that YetAgain mentions - give them to google translation in smaller chunks, and cross your fingers you get an output that makes sense.

But I've seen too many movies and tv shows with google translated subtitles that are pretty much unwatchable.

So in the end, I think it would be a waste of time to go the google route. Better spent trying to locate the book in english to start with.
Nov 24th, 2019, 11:33 pm
Dec 7th, 2019, 4:05 am
I have the same doubt, but manually, no Google at all. BTW, if it`s too hard it`s ok, I treat translating as a hobby anyway
I have the same doubt, but manually, no Google at all. BTW, if it`s too hard it`s ok, I treat translating as a hobby anyway
Dec 10th, 2019, 1:05 am
auto translators are great for single words and the odd sentence but reading a whole book translated that way will send you insane.
Dec 10th, 2019, 1:05 am