Nov 20th, 2016, 7:44 pm
This not a recmmendation topic as I'm asking who else already likes it.

I've read the first 2 books, and they're amazing! Harry is the very definition of sympathetic, entertaining, and engaging. The books always have me on the edge of my seat, with people constantly dying, and Harry Dresden barely surviving, leaving you constantly wondering how the hell he's gonna survive.
Nov 20th, 2016, 7:44 pm
Jun 30th, 2017, 4:45 am
i enjoyed the early books. Harry (and most of the supporting cast) are quite interesting and well fleshed out...

it's always fun finding and starting a new series with lots of books ahead of you. it's been a long time coming for the next book.

my quibble (and don't let this ruin it for you) is that Harry ascends his power curve pretty quickly and in most books he gets so beaten up and exhausted that i feel exhausted for him. but enjoy this, i only wish i could find a new series again to start and enjoy.

check out the Alex Verus and Iron Druid series for similar concepts
Jun 30th, 2017, 4:45 am
Aug 16th, 2017, 8:38 pm
Guilty as charge......
If you enjoyed the first 2 books, let me tell you that they are considered, by the majority of readers, as the most "weak" of the series.... From book 3-4 onwards, the action get "pump up", the characters grow, the humor too....
It is a good series of books. I highly recommend you give the audio books a go. James Masters is so good.....
Good reading.... And maybe listening......
Aug 16th, 2017, 8:38 pm
Oct 9th, 2017, 7:37 pm
I have the all in 1 books 1 - 15 and am reading the 2nd book Via PDF.

I'm liking it so far.
Oct 9th, 2017, 7:37 pm
Oct 26th, 2017, 8:20 pm
They are one of my favourite series of books.

The rest of Jim Butchers work is gripping too.
Oct 26th, 2017, 8:20 pm
Nov 5th, 2017, 6:51 pm
I'm really enjoying them, starting book 6. A friend has read them as well and he also told me that the books keep getting better/more intense as the series continues.
Nov 5th, 2017, 6:51 pm
Nov 29th, 2017, 2:30 am
really liked the book series. But then I realized that Harry is his own worst enemy and I grew annoyed at how much time he spends trying to "do the right thing"just to have it blow up in his face. Then usually fixes the situation with violence and even more violence.. Almost like him being a victim hero rather than a hero or anti hero.

And personally I'm getting tired of reading about victims who excel as protagonists.

But there is decent humor, reasonable character development for the most part.
A decent mythos for the background. Overall better than average.

But then again I've been reading a lot of recent stuff that should be labeled below average that got rave reviews.
So your millage may very.
Nov 29th, 2017, 2:30 am

Pirates were the first democratic organization in the new world.
Jul 20th, 2018, 5:27 pm
Not read any of the books. Been dipping into Brief Cases and like what I’ve read so far, I intend to add the first book to my ‘To Read’ list.
Jul 20th, 2018, 5:27 pm
Jul 25th, 2018, 12:50 am
I love the Dresden files, but I want more of the kitty. I haven't read them in a while, but IIRC the most recent books and short stories seem to concentrate more on his apprentice. And if you haven't read the books:

Jul 25th, 2018, 12:50 am

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Jul 25th, 2018, 2:58 am
I enjoyed the early books but by the time I got to "White Night" my interest had started to wane and haven't read one since.
Jul 25th, 2018, 2:58 am
Jul 25th, 2018, 2:08 pm
Loved it until Ghost Story. Not a fan of the last 3 books.
Jul 25th, 2018, 2:08 pm
Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:37 pm
I finally tried the first book and was bitterly disappointed. Harry was interesting, but I can see him mucking things up for himself. Plus, I found the plot really boring and underwhelming.
Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:37 pm
Aug 28th, 2018, 6:38 pm
After finishing Kevin Hearne's Iron Druids I got exposed to Dresden Files - but just his short stories so far. And so far I do like them enough to start reading his longer books.
For those who are looking for others/similar I also recommend John Conroe, Craig Shaefer and even Steven McHugh - he maybe isn't so smooth like those other mentioned, but I think he has The Best plots. And, he is getting better at writing ;-)
Aug 28th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Aug 28th, 2018, 10:13 pm
Thanks Dany1906! I just picked up Schaefer's "Daniel Faust" series and now I'm going after McHugh's "Hellequin" series.
Aug 28th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Oct 28th, 2018, 8:53 am
Jim butcher has the same trend the protagonist in dresden files or the multiple characters in codex alera get beaten to pulp literally and figuratively till they are nearly dead and at the end somehow save the day, but yes it works all the time and is really great to read it.
Oct 28th, 2018, 8:53 am