To store good stuff in digital format 38
11%
You can't buy them in your country 33
9%
Because its fun 10
3%
Total votes : 357
Mar 13th, 2016, 2:06 pm
There are many factors, but what is the main one reason why people chose to pirate?
Mar 13th, 2016, 2:06 pm
Apr 26th, 2016, 8:28 pm
Like most entertainment books, games, movies and music theres so much crap put out just for money and most of it isnt worth the time itd take to go shopping to buy it; let alone spend money on.

Downloading fixes that. Uploading helps others and shows you appreciate the other uploaders and downloaders.
Apr 26th, 2016, 8:28 pm
Apr 26th, 2016, 8:35 pm
Digital hoarding compulsion and financial inability to buy *all the books*, as I want to do every time I go into a bookstore. Next step: figure out a way to actually *read* all the books.
Apr 26th, 2016, 8:35 pm
Apr 28th, 2016, 9:04 pm
I second what has been said so far.
For me it is a little bit of everything listed in the voting poll.

Digital hoarding compulsion for starters. I must have all the books! Then as efufoo mentioned, there is so much junky stuff out there, most of it not worth spending money on. I like being able to test things out before spending my hard-earned money on them and I do spend a lot of money on books!
Every time I go out - which happens quite frequently - I must enter a bookstore and every single time I come home with at least one new book. Most of the time it is a book I had illegally downloaded, read and loved!

My other main reason for pirating books is that I can't buy them in my country.
Either a book never gets translated or the translation takes months to be completed and the finished product is just too expensive! Double the price of the original. However, I tend to read in English but that brings another issue: the English section at any bookstore around here is always way too small and they mostly carry mass market paperbacks sold at regular paperback prices! Ridiculous and very frustrating :evil:
The only option is ordering online, wish I do quite regularly thanks to sites like BookDepository that offer free worldwide shipping! But international online orders take quite some time to arrive and I can never wait that long and that's when Mobilism comes to rescue: I get to download the eBook while I wait for the paperback to arrive.

And that brings me to another point: as I've mentioned before I do buy a lot of physical books. I like collecting them and being able to display them in my bookshelves and, to be honest, holding a physical copy will always feel much better than holding an eReader but I also travel a lot. In fact, I'm currently living between 3 addresses so even though I own a lot of paperbacks I am physically unable to carry them around with me at all times and I simply cannot justify spending money twice for the same book.

I guess I could some up a few other points but this post is getting ridiculously long...
Apr 28th, 2016, 9:04 pm
May 11th, 2016, 4:42 am
I am poor...I don't like to pay for ebooks :D :lol: :lol:
May 11th, 2016, 4:42 am
May 20th, 2016, 7:50 pm
1) I'm a student and am happy when I have enough for decent meals! $20-$30 can't happen at the rate I read. Unless I adored it. Then take my money please.
2) I hate feeling like I've wasted money if I hate the book. There are few re-reads for me given how much is out there. I will buy the book when I know I loved it for that reason. Makes me happy seeing it on my shelf.
3) Back problems - I just bought the hardcover of Ken Follet's "A World Without End." It will forever remain in the house as my purse cannot contain it. My Kobo is all I can fit in my bag on a daily basis.
May 20th, 2016, 7:50 pm
Jun 7th, 2016, 4:58 pm
It started due to country restrictions (and increased country pricing). Now appears to be hoarding.
Jun 7th, 2016, 4:58 pm
Jul 19th, 2016, 8:05 am
When I started, it was because i couldn't buy them in my country. but now there are so many interesting books and I don't have enough money to buy them all. so it's mostly financial
Jul 19th, 2016, 8:05 am
Jul 26th, 2016, 10:37 am
Strangely, It's because I should be allowed to own/do what I want with things I purchased. I am more against DRM and losing control. I do have and own books but I absolutely do 'pirate' the same titles. There is no way I'm giving up the control and access to things that I have legally purchased just because amazon or whoever suddenly decides I should no longer have access to it.

I'm not saying I'm an angel. As I have done my fair share of pirated games, movies, music and what not. I also do support things/people that do good. I have a legit library, games and see worthwhile movies in theatres when it's good enough.
Jul 26th, 2016, 10:37 am

OhLana!
Aug 6th, 2016, 11:15 am
1. Too little money - I do buy books whenever I can but food/rent have to take priority. Can't read if you are dead from starvation or keep books if you have no home!
2. Too little space - see 1. above. Every inch of shelf full and can't bear to give away/throw out books.
I think I may have issues...
Aug 6th, 2016, 11:15 am
Aug 24th, 2016, 3:53 am
Financial mostly. I read so much that if I were to pay for all the books I've read, I'd be dirt-poor. I hope to one day be able to earn enough to stock my shelves with all the books that have made me happy. Also, there are times you read a book and it's good, but not a keeper. :)
Aug 24th, 2016, 3:53 am
Aug 27th, 2016, 6:38 am
Mostly to get books that I can't due to country restrictions. But there is a compulsive sense to get a back up ebook because oddly I buy all my books in paper form. I think that vendors refusing to issue electronic copies and treating them as separate units even as they play games with the rules irks me. Now if I could just find the same source for a single piece of music from the UK only Great British Bakeoff soundtrack I could rest easy knowing I bucked the system good!
Aug 27th, 2016, 6:38 am
Sep 1st, 2016, 1:43 am
Financial mostly.
However I also find that I use the library a lot and find great books, however with an active 7 month old I never get them read before the due dates. I like having them to read when I do get the time and storing them for later if I really enjoy them
Sep 1st, 2016, 1:43 am

I divide all readers into two classes; those who read to remember and those who read to forget.
–William Lyon Phelps
Sep 14th, 2016, 1:00 pm
cant always afford them and a lot im glad i never paid for ....they were that bad and i felt cheated when a book i did buy was so badly written and i had paid my hard earned money out ...so now i pay for a book if i enjoyed it .
Sep 14th, 2016, 1:00 pm
Sep 15th, 2016, 11:02 am
I had to choose Financial. The reason is honestly I'm so addicted to reading and books. If i had to buy them all the time I would literally be homeless and starving. I would end up carrying around hundreds of books to and from my hideout to work just so I could stop by the bookstore to buy even more books on my way back to my hideout. I kept track one time and found I spent hundreds on books a month. I have curbed my purchases but not my reading. So i make due with ebooks, library books and my $50 monthly book purchases.
Sep 15th, 2016, 11:02 am