Oct 30th, 2018, 10:46 pm
There are so many books I want to read that are out of print and don't exist as ebooks. For some titles used copies cost insane amounts of money. Probably because they didn't print many to begin with. Authors get nada when online used booksellers sell their out of print titles for big bucks. Why don't authors create ebook versions? They coud generate a little passive income stream and more important, people would be able to access their books. I mean, don't they want to be read?
Oct 30th, 2018, 10:46 pm
Oct 30th, 2018, 11:54 pm
I'm in agreement. Some of my older print books are literally falling apart, and I'd love to have e-copies. I'd happy pay $4 or so for each book, and wouldn't most of that be profit since there are no printing costs?
Oct 30th, 2018, 11:54 pm
Oct 31st, 2018, 8:53 pm
Licensing, permissions, copyright ownership (Disney has locked up a lot of books).
Oct 31st, 2018, 8:53 pm

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Nov 2nd, 2018, 5:55 pm
A lot of older books are slowly becoming available but it’s very few and far between.
I love 70’s fantasy and so far only volume 1 of ‘Weird Heroes’ and the first of the Robert Lory Dracula books have been released.
I guess they test the waters and there just isn’t enough interest to continue.
Nov 2nd, 2018, 5:55 pm
Nov 29th, 2018, 3:02 am
Lazy Liza Lizard, my wife's Grandma used to read it to her as a child.
Nov 29th, 2018, 3:02 am
Dec 9th, 2018, 3:44 am
Check archive.org for out of print books that you want to read as an ebook. The quality isn't always great, as many of them are just scanned using a text-recognition software, so you may have to put up with misspellings or weird formatting. But, I finally got to read the Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce as an e-book!
Dec 9th, 2018, 3:44 am
Dec 13th, 2018, 1:36 pm
DivaRae wrote:Check archive.org for out of print books that you want to read as an ebook. The quality isn't always great, as many of them are just scanned using a text-recognition software, so you may have to put up with misspellings or weird formatting. But, I finally got to read the Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce as an e-book!

I use archive.org a lot, but mostly books I borrow for 2 weeks that I read on my computer. some of their books you can download as PDF and read on your computer or tablet, but the ones they scanned into epub and mobi format have so many mistakes they're unreadable, so I can't read any of them on my ebook reader.
Dec 13th, 2018, 1:36 pm
Jun 13th, 2019, 12:18 pm
I would imagine that most out of print books are not even available in a digital format with the author (or the author is deceased) or even with the copyright holder.

I never realized how much work it takes to properly scan a printed book, extract the text and images, proof read and make corrections, then properly format it. One can see the unhappy results of an automated process throughout archive.org

I too had some older books that I wished were available digitally, so I decided to put in the effort and time to make them available for others to enjoy. I am glad we have this place to share them.
Jun 13th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Books posted are those no longer being published & difficult to find. They are carefully manually created using OCR on scans. Notice a typo/mistake? A private message will be appreciated.
Jan 15th, 2020, 8:35 pm
vs9 wrote:There are so many books I want to read that are out of print and don't exist as ebooks. For some titles used copies cost insane amounts of money.

Same issue. For example exist many interesting (at least for me :lol: ) prison memoir 1920-30 year edition: "The House of Whispering Hate" by Charles S. Wharton, "Life and Death in Sing Sing" and 20,000 Years in Sing Sing by Lewis E. Lawes, "The Convict and the Stained Glass Windows" by Carmelo Soraci - no luck with archive.org, no luck with libgen, no luck with request section here :( .
Jan 15th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Exodus A.D.: A Warning to Civilians by Paul Troubetzkoy [10000 WRZ$] Reward!
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=5556807
Apr 18th, 2020, 10:38 am
I find it odd that there are quite a number of more modern books, usually published by smaller independent publishers that are not available in ebook format.

It's odd in that, being a modern book, the author almost certainly wrote the book using a word processor on an electronic device as opposed to an old fashioned mechanical typewriter.

In this respect, there's clearly an "electronic" version of the book available, but it perhaps never sees the light of day beyond the hard-drive of the author.
Apr 18th, 2020, 10:38 am
May 9th, 2020, 9:44 am
Reading this thread, I was reminded of the Internet Archive which I visit occasionally but not very often. A great service for out of print books indeed, if available. I remembered two titles that are not available as e-books but I found them there, was able to borrow them and they are now waiting for me on my ereader. Great boon on this saturday.
May 9th, 2020, 9:44 am
Jun 14th, 2020, 2:38 pm
There are some authors who end up republishing on their own/a new company once their book is out of print. An author who wrote one of my favorite childhood book series is doing it! It's taking him a lot longer to work out the kindle editions but at least it's coming. Stay positive!
Jun 14th, 2020, 2:38 pm
Jan 10th, 2021, 12:21 am
Yeah, I keep asking Kevin Randle for an Seeds of War Trilogy ebook release and The Jefferson's War series, and I wish Roland Green would release the Starcruiser Shenandoah series
Jan 10th, 2021, 12:21 am

Figs
Jan 10th, 2021, 10:52 pm
I also agree. There are books by John Wyndham and Edmund cooper that are still to be released as ebooks. I'm a bit of a Sci Fi fanatic
Jan 10th, 2021, 10:52 pm
Mar 10th, 2021, 6:45 pm
2010 was the last year for the printed edition of Encyclopedia Britannica, all 30 volumes or so. I would pay big bucks to have that done as a PDF. I even e-mailed the company about it, but they were not interested. They want to promote the electronic edition. If I had the means, I would scan the whole thing myself.
Mar 10th, 2021, 6:45 pm