Jan 30th, 2021, 12:05 pm
Over the years science fiction as a separate category in bookshops has disappeared.
I understand that space is a premium.
And I understand that fantasy is very close to sci-fi.
However, Horror is a different matter. It has always been seperate in bookshops.
I feel it should always be seperate.
Could/should Mobilism have a separate category?

Personally I do not read Horror. I get fed up with having to scroll past all the zombie books to find a good sci-fi book.

What do you think?
Jan 30th, 2021, 12:05 pm
Jan 30th, 2021, 6:28 pm
I think that would be great, personally!
Jan 30th, 2021, 6:28 pm
Jan 31st, 2021, 10:42 am
Just because other websites include Horror with Sci-Fi, doesn't make it right.
Many years ago, there were bookshops. (and Libraries).
In those establishments books were separated into genres.
Horror books were completely separate from Science Fiction. Completely, as in many sections apart.
As space became a premium, I suppose, it was necessary to close the gaps. Eventually I guess the genres became amalgamated.

Now we have gone digital, space is no longer an issue.

Please, please separate these genres.

Gone With the Wind is pure fantasy, yet it is not in the Fantasy section. LOL.
Jan 31st, 2021, 10:42 am
Jan 31st, 2021, 12:37 pm
macafee wrote:Now we have gone digital, space is no longer an issue.

Please, please separate these genres.

Separating genres and splitting categories has nothing to do with space at all, it has to do with the organization and management of the section, in Mobilism and many other sites, as I said in the Help Desk.

Unfortunately for those who consider that managing and moderating is a simple matter, I regret to inform you that the answer is still the same: there will be no further divisions. Sorry.
Jan 31st, 2021, 12:37 pm
Feb 3rd, 2021, 5:18 am
macafee wrote:Over the years science fiction as a separate category in bookshops has disappeared.
I understand that space is a premium.
And I understand that fantasy is very close to sci-fi.
However, Horror is a different matter. It has always been seperate in bookshops.
I feel it should always be seperate.
Could/should Mobilism have a separate category?

Personally I do not read Horror. I get fed up with having to scroll past all the zombie books to find a good sci-fi book.

What do you think?

I think you're full of it, to be honest. There are plenty of other websites that don't include a 'horror' section that you're more than welcome to use.

I also think you're quite selfish for suggesting time-consuming edits that would most likely benefit only you.

Personally, I have no problem with the layout, and it's been working for most others, as well. If the majority was not open to that section being included in the Sci-Fi listing, then it would have changed ages ago.
Feb 3rd, 2021, 5:18 am
Feb 6th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I know it won't do any good or make any difference, but I'm in full agreement with the sentiment. I've pretty much given up on even looking for sci-fi here. It's an endless chore of wading through a sea of dungeons and dragons derivatives to even find a title that's worth looking at. Sci-fi doesn't seem to have a home here.
Feb 6th, 2021, 9:59 pm
Feb 9th, 2021, 7:55 pm
Thank you!!! Horror does not belong with Sci-fi and Fantasy!!! Put it with Mystery and Thrillers where it belongs or give it it's own section... there's CLEARLY more than enough titles to do that!! Please?
Feb 9th, 2021, 7:55 pm

Figs
Feb 12th, 2021, 8:51 pm
So much of both sci-fi and fantasy has a horror element, while so much horror has a fantasy or sci-fi element. As with music, movies, and television, the lines between different literary genres are frequently unclear. It seems like it'd be better to tag works with whatever descriptors apply - cosmic horror, space opera, urban fantasy, etc - than pigeonhole them into one genre. Then again, I grew up as brick-and-mortar bookstores were beginning to die out (at least in my area) and I only remember there being "fiction" and "non-fiction" sections organized by author.
Feb 12th, 2021, 8:51 pm
Mar 11th, 2021, 7:36 am
I'd suggest all self published books be separated out as wading through all that garbage is a true Horror story.
Mar 11th, 2021, 7:36 am