Nov 11th, 2018, 8:39 pm
It seems that it is fairly common to see a book, or set of books, listed as ".epub", only to find out, after you have fought the file hosts and downloaded the (zip or 7z) file, for it be collections of .html and other files.

How do you turn these into actual epub files, and why do people split them up in this way?

Any help much appreciated.

Fizban wrote:I can't help you with turning HTML files into epubs, but if you run across any more situations where the formats downloaded don't match what the topic stated, please report those posts so we can contact the original poster and get the situation corrected. You can either use the Report function or just send a PM to an ebook moderator and include the url of the post in question and explain the situation.

Edit: fixed by using a different software to unpack.
Nov 11th, 2018, 8:39 pm
Nov 17th, 2018, 9:17 pm
The answer is probably no, but is it possible to do the opposite of the "mark topics read" and mark all topics as unread? Thanks

merry60 wrote:You're right, the answer is no. Unread is the default, so once you mark the topics as read you cannot un-read them :)
Nov 17th, 2018, 9:17 pm
Dec 22nd, 2018, 2:29 am
Hi there

Since magz and newspapers can only be posted in PDF format, am I allowed to post a literary magazine converted from epub to PDF in Calibre?

merry60 wrote:The PDF-only rule was implemented precisely to avoid conversions, incomplete/bad files, and the resulting complaints. Please pm me and I'll see what I can do.

Edited to add: files checked and approved, all retail quality.
Dec 22nd, 2018, 2:29 am
Dec 24th, 2018, 5:55 am
I have run into a rather unexpected problem with my epub files, most of which I downloaded from here. I imported them into Apple's iBooks software (but unfortunately not calibre, back then), and now I can't find copies of those epubs outside of iBooks on my filesystem (primary drive and various plug-in drives). I didn't think this would be a problem because iBooks keeps its own copy of the file, and I didn't expect it to modify the file. As far as I remember, none of those epubs had DRM before I imported them into iBooks, but now it looks like iBooks has added DRM protection to those epub files: they open fine inside iBooks, but calibre refuses to import them and if I copy them over to my phone Moon+ Reader refuses to import them.

Will I have to start from scratch and find each of those 220+ epubs (without DRM) to download again, or is there some way I can read them on my phone?
Dec 24th, 2018, 5:55 am
Dec 24th, 2018, 6:00 am
farsi wrote:I have run into a rather unexpected problem with my epub files, most of which I downloaded from here. I imported them into Apple`s iBooks software (but unfortunately not calibre, back then), and now I can`t find copies of those epubs outside of iBooks on my filesystem (primary drive and various plug-in drives). I didn`t think this would be a problem because iBooks keeps its own copy of the file, and I didn`t expect it to modify the file. As far as I remember, none of those epubs had DRM before I imported them into iBooks, but now it looks like iBooks has added DRM protection to those epub files: they open fine inside iBooks, but calibre refuses to import them and if I copy them over to my phone Moon+ Reader refuses to import them.

Will I have to start from scratch and find each of those 220+ epubs (without DRM) to download again, or is there some way I can read them on my phone?
https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/05/24/ibooks-library-location-mac/
Dec 24th, 2018, 6:00 am
Dec 24th, 2018, 5:11 pm
ryborg wrote:
farsi wrote:I have run into a rather unexpected problem with my epub files, most of which I downloaded from here. I imported them into Apple`s iBooks software (but unfortunately not calibre, back then), and now I can`t find copies of those epubs outside of iBooks on my filesystem (primary drive and various plug-in drives). I didn`t think this would be a problem because iBooks keeps its own copy of the file, and I didn`t expect it to modify the file. As far as I remember, none of those epubs had DRM before I imported them into iBooks, but now it looks like iBooks has added DRM protection to those epub files: they open fine inside iBooks, but calibre refuses to import them and if I copy them over to my phone Moon+ Reader refuses to import them.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/05/24/ibooks-library-location-mac/

I know where iBooks stores the files. That's not the issue. The issue is that it seems to have applied DRM to them, so that I cannot use them outside of iBooks.
Dec 24th, 2018, 5:11 pm
Dec 24th, 2018, 7:22 pm
Unfortunately, you provide far too little information for anyone to help you meaningfully. I know my way around Apple's hardware and software and calibre, etc and yet even I cannot help. Questions you might answer...
1. Do you work on a Mac? What is its OS version, if yes? If Windows, what version?
2. Do you import the ePUBs to iBooks using iTunes? What version of iTunes, if yes? (Biggie)
3. What version of iBooks? And do you use iBooks for the Mac?
4. What version of calibre?
5. (Biggie) Did you make any changes to the ePUB files after downloading but before syncing to iBooks?
6. Your true objective: Import the ePUBs to calibre OR read the ePUBs using iBooks on the phone? If the latter, then just install iBooks on the phone and sync using the same Apple ID. If the former, what error message, if any, does calibre send?
7. etc.

I know where iBooks stores the files. That's not the issue. The issue is that it seems to have applied DRM to them, so that I cannot use them outside of iBooks.

Dec 24th, 2018, 7:22 pm
Dec 24th, 2018, 9:28 pm
Thanks! I didn't really know what information was relevant. Here are the answers:

1. Yes, it's a Mac. MacOS Mojave, 10.14.
2. I think I imported the ePUBs to iBooks using iTunes, yes. It was a couple of years ago, so I don't remember which version of iTunes it was.
3. iBooks version 1.16 (1636.1). And, yes, iBooks for the Mac.
4. It's the latest version of calibre, version 3.36. I've installed the De-DRM plugin, but I'm not sure that will help in this case.
5. No, I myself didn't make any changes to the ePUBs (other than editing some metadata such as Author and Title within iBooks).
6. I have an Android, not an iPhone, so iBooks is not an option there. The ePUBs would need to be DRM-free to open in Moon+ Reader or the old Aldiko reader. That's why I've been trying to see if I can somehow remove the DRM that iBooks has applied.

My question is: has anyone else experienced this issue, that non-DRM ePUBs become DRM'ed after import into (and possibly metadata editing in) iBooks?

ephemeral wrote:Unfortunately, you provide far too little information for anyone to help you meaningfully. I know my way around Apple's hardware and software and calibre, etc and yet even I cannot help. Questions you might answer...
1. Do you work on a Mac? What is its OS version, if yes? If Windows, what version?
2. Do you import the ePUBs to iBooks using iTunes? What version of iTunes, if yes? (Biggie)
3. What version of iBooks? And do you use iBooks for the Mac?
4. What version of calibre?
5. (Biggie) Did you make any changes to the ePUB files after downloading but before syncing to iBooks?
6. Your true objective: Import the ePUBs to calibre OR read the ePUBs using iBooks on the phone? If the latter, then just install iBooks on the phone and sync using the same Apple ID. If the former, what error message, if any, does calibre send?
7. etc.
Dec 24th, 2018, 9:28 pm
Dec 25th, 2018, 11:54 am
Yes, Apple's iTunes (and now iBooks for the Mac) overwrites an ePUBs' CSS pages. That overwrite is not necessarily nefarious, just Apple being Apple. Also, it matters not at all the version of iTunes (and iBooks) when you imported the files, only the version you use now; Apple's programs overwrite real time (updates update everything).

In my experience, however, such overwrites do not retroactively apply Apple's Fair Play DRM and certainly not to files obtained elsewhere. I just now checked a few random ePUBs in my iTunes library; no DRM. However, because I acknowledge the possibility of Apple changing my files, I keep my computer far behind on app and OS updates. (My Mac's OS is Mavericks, which causes its own risks, woes, and problems.) So I do not make for a useful example.

btw, to edit a file's metadata is itself a change. To use iBooks to make those changes is... well, not a good choice. (This comment merits a separate discussion.)

Please see your inbox for a PM.

farsi wrote:Thanks! I didn't really know what information was relevant. Here are the answers:

1. Yes, it's a Mac. MacOS Mojave, 10.14.
2. I think I imported the ePUBs to iBooks using iTunes, yes. It was a couple of years ago, so I don't remember which version of iTunes it was.
3. iBooks version 1.16 (1636.1). And, yes, iBooks for the Mac.
4. It's the latest version of calibre, version 3.36. I've installed the De-DRM plugin, but I'm not sure that will help in this case.
5. No, I myself didn't make any changes to the ePUBs (other than editing some metadata such as Author and Title within iBooks).
6. I have an Android, not an iPhone, so iBooks is not an option there. The ePUBs would need to be DRM-free to open in Moon+ Reader or the old Aldiko reader. That's why I've been trying to see if I can somehow remove the DRM that iBooks has applied.

My question is: has anyone else experienced this issue, that non-DRM ePUBs become DRM'ed after import into (and possibly metadata editing in) iBooks?
Dec 25th, 2018, 11:54 am
Jan 14th, 2019, 2:25 am
Hey guys,

How would I mark a topic as 'read'? The topic titles are grayed out in the forums, meaning that there aren't any replies, but when I re-log, they're bold again? I have about 3 of the same books on my Chromebook right now, lol.
Jan 14th, 2019, 2:25 am
Jan 15th, 2019, 1:28 am
have been pulling my hair out trying to view the current list of the most popular book downloads.

On mobile, it shows at the bottom of the post details view which lists TOP APPS, then TOP BOOKS, then REVIEWS (mobile is a bit flaky inasmuch as books may show under TOP BOOKs header and then inexplicably move into the TOP APPS group. Flakiness aside, it alerts me to possible books of interest which I may otherwise overlook.

My memory (suspect) tells me this functionality (to view list of most popular downloads) is somewhere on desktop

hmmm ... as I'm here whining I noted tha t on mobile I'm rarely logged in; while am always logged in when on desktop. Just checked and sure enough if I log out, the info of my quest appears on desktop

So my remaining hair is not at imminent risk BUT ... is there a better way to get to the info other than logging out, copy/pasting the info to notepad for reference and logging back in or as I have been doing juggling my phone and its screen on time as I use desktop ?

Am hoping info is available when logged in, but that I'm just not looking where I should

TIA

merry60 wrote:The top releases info is no longer available in the classic skin of Mobilism, you will need to switch to 2.0 (the version you see while offline)

User Control Panel > Board preferences > My board style > Mobilism2.0
Jan 15th, 2019, 1:28 am
Jan 21st, 2019, 10:44 am
How do I cancel a book request please?

merry60 wrote:Requests RULES

• You may withdraw your request by posting a reply in your own thread saying you no longer need the book, provided a link has not been offered yet.
Jan 21st, 2019, 10:44 am
Jan 21st, 2019, 9:29 pm
Nikostratus wrote:Hey guys,

How would I mark a topic as 'read'? The topic titles are grayed out in the forums, meaning that there aren't any replies, but when I re-log, they're bold again? I have about 3 of the same books on my Chromebook right now, lol.

At the bottom of the topic list is a toggle to "Mark topics read". This grays out *all* the topics, but does not hide them. If a new response is posted in a grayed topic, it turns black again. Marking a topic I'm not interested in as "read" isn't an annoyance and doesn't affect a future search.
Jan 21st, 2019, 9:29 pm

Use this. It's free. https://www.libraryextension.com/
A link to my family's fiction wishlist is posted in my profile.
Rules apply.
WRZ$20 each.
No PDFs, PDF conversions or archive.org scans (I can get those myself).
Jan 22nd, 2019, 9:30 pm
I remember seeing it earlier, but I can't find it now :-/
Can anyone please give me the list of host url's supported by mobilism, for uploading epub's.

Thanks in advance
-NB

merry60 wrote:Here: List of supported filehosts
Jan 22nd, 2019, 9:30 pm

CR : Silent Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt
Jan 23rd, 2019, 8:53 am
Having problems downloading from douploads and centfiles. Never get to place to download the book. Only download links are for their ads. What am I doing wrong?

merry60 wrote:You must have missed the correct download buttons, try again following the instructions in this topic: .exe or Virus warning after downloading a file
Jan 23rd, 2019, 8:53 am