Apr 2nd, 2020, 9:31 am
If I make a request for a request for a retail copy of an eBook and someone posts the eBook I was looking for but not a retail copy, can I report it so the non-retail copy can be taken down?
Apr 2nd, 2020, 9:31 am

I do accept WRZ$ donations for any posted eBooks!
Apr 2nd, 2020, 11:31 am
qwertyuiop123456789 wrote:If I make a request for a request for a retail copy of an eBook and someone posts the eBook I was looking for but not a retail copy, can I report it so the non-retail copy can be taken down?

You can request a retail copy and then post it yourself following the procedure explained in the Rules under the title "Reposting releases (bad quality files, absent posters)".

But unless the existing file is unreadable, reporting alone will not take it down, only a repost will.
Apr 2nd, 2020, 11:31 am
Apr 7th, 2020, 6:40 pm
hi, Just wondering about the thank you button ( I re-released expired books) and I used to see it.Now however I'm not able to,so is there a new rule or something I wasn't aware about?

Thank you
Apr 7th, 2020, 6:40 pm
Apr 7th, 2020, 6:42 pm
No, it's a bug caused by the adding of the QR codes that hasn't been fixed as yet. Users are not able to see the thank yous on their own posts right now.
Apr 7th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Apr 7th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Fizban wrote:No, it's a bug caused by the adding of the QR codes that hasn't been fixed as yet. Users are not able to see the thank yous on their own posts right now.

Thank you for clarifying that !
Apr 7th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Apr 11th, 2020, 2:13 am
Is there an extended list of the top, say 100, fiction and non fiction books? Or is it only the top 10 books as shown at the bottom of the forum? An extended list would be useful.
Apr 11th, 2020, 2:13 am
Apr 11th, 2020, 11:08 am
jcrenshaw wrote:Is there an extended list of the top, say 100, fiction and non fiction books? Or is it only the top 10 books as shown at the bottom of the forum? An extended list would be useful.

Unfortunately not, no such extended list. There is an option to browse categories (not genres) by views, but of course it will include the full category's history, no way to limit it to the recent history as shown by the top 10 topics list.

To browse by views in 2.0 you'll need to edit your preferences: User control panel > board preferences > edit display options > Display topics ordering by, and choose Views.

The classic skin no longer shows the top 10 topics, but still offers the option to browse each category separately by number of views at the bottom right corner: http://prntscr.com/rx7qth
Apr 11th, 2020, 11:08 am
Apr 19th, 2020, 1:05 pm
2 questions:

#1: What's the minimum time-span between two posts to be merged? I've always thought it was 2-3mins (last year, a Mod kindly told me that I posted a topic 3mins+ after another user and promptly deleted my post) but today, a Mod merged my post with another, although the latter was posted more than 3 mins after mine.

#2 I've never done this but when replacing inactive posters' dead links, do I have to re-up the original post, with all the files included?
For example, someone posted a book in .epub AND .mobi format but I don't have or can't find the .mobi file. Can I still re-post .epub only?
Apr 19th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Protect your eyes: read True PDFs only.
Image Download from DropGalaxy at your own risk Image
Apr 19th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Question #1: the maximum is usually 3 minutes. However, not all systems show time the same way, and sometimes there is a difference between someone's system that says "3 minutes ago" and someone else's system that reads "14:05" (taking the time on your post as it shows on my screen, for instance). So yes, there may be more than a few seconds before the "3 minutes ago" info changes into "4 minutes ago".

Question #2: when you repost a release, you are reposting titles, not formats. Of course you can repost with ePUB only.
Apr 19th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Apr 26th, 2020, 5:17 pm
Is there a way of knowing if a particular book as ever been converted to e format ?
I have done a search... not just here but elsewhere.. and found nothing.
I'm not requesting it here (wrong place I know). I just wondered if there was a world wide searchable place ?
Apr 26th, 2020, 5:17 pm
Apr 26th, 2020, 7:21 pm
markcharles wrote:Is there a way of knowing if a particular book as ever been converted to e format ?
I have done a search... not just here but elsewhere.. and found nothing.
I'm not requesting it here (wrong place I know). I just wondered if there was a world wide searchable place ?

To the best of my knowledge there is no such place. That being said, depending on the age/popularity of the book/author, it should be relatively easy to determine, I think. I know for most books written in the last 40 years I can almost always find on Amazon and there's a small box on the right side slightly below the purchase area that allows you to "request" the book be published in ebook format so if you see that you can be pretty sure it hasn't been e-published. For older books I check on Project Gutenberg to see if it exists there. So those are my two go-to spots - maybe they will help you out.
Apr 26th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.

- Mark Twain
Apr 26th, 2020, 8:57 pm
Thank you Fizban I've had no luck where you've suggested ... and just in case you were wondering :-) ..the book is:
The Last Canadian by William c Heine
I read it in the early 80's and would like to again ..... it involves a plague/virus ....in case I did'nt get enough of it in real life.
Thanks again.
Apr 26th, 2020, 8:57 pm
May 6th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Can anyone possibly provide a guide on how to get content from mega4up?

I've not been able to get a single book ever. I follow the steps and always get a "not found" page despite the links being posted that day.

Thanks

Edit: Problem resolved. Installed ublock origin as per a mod's advice and it now works.

Thanks Merry :)
May 6th, 2020, 5:08 pm
May 17th, 2020, 4:47 am
You need to put how to search for an author whose first name is initials! > . < THAT IS LEGITIMATELY THE BIGGEST PITA ON THE BOARD, STFG! I *love* this board and everyone on it, but THAT is a bug that NEEDS fixed, SERIOUSLY, searching an author like "a j smith" is IMPOSSIBLE! I know ONE of these links gives a tip ion how to do it, but there is no DIRECT clickable hyperlink available. Can that be changed?
May 17th, 2020, 4:47 am
May 17th, 2020, 8:36 am
I understand your frustration (though I could do without the shouting and cursing ;-)), so I can only give you two pieces of advice: one, use the tools we do have, like the Advanced Search. And two, read this:

Subject: search doesn't work with short words

Disk4mat wrote:Getting good search on a site is incredibly complex. Even far larger sites than ours usually choose to use the search engines of companies that specialize in developing search engines (check cnn.com for example, the 27th biggest site in the US, and even they don't have their own search engine). Behemoths like Google have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into their algorithms and people nowadays are somewhat spoiled with the result. Small sites like ours cannot afford to do the same. The minimum characters indexed by our search is 3, anything less than that will not add anything to your results.

Alternatively, you can search like this by using google to only display results from mobilism.org:
site:mobilism.org EnterYourSearchTermsHere
May 17th, 2020, 8:36 am