Jul 26th, 2014, 5:51 am
Carcosa wrote:All very strange. Is it only the download sites or have you hit any problems on other sites?

Have you tried turning your firewall off long enough to try reloading the page? You said you looked into the settings but the real test is switching it off. On a sidenote: If you are only using the Windows firewall then I'd recommend installing [url=http://uk.pcmag.com/firewalls-products-1/feature/8525/the-best-free-firewalls]one of the good free ones out there which are superior - ZoneAlarm and Comodo are the frontrunners (just make sure you are installing the free version).

I am also wondering if it might be something to do with your router. I can't give specific advice, but it might be worth calling their helpline - when I had problems with a Belkin they were very helpful.

If that doesn't work, then I'll see if I can shake anything loose from the Internet to try.

My Windows Firewall is turned off. I did one more thing yesterday. Installed JDownloader and tried the link to the tusfiles. It grabbed the link but says 100% offline! No other sites have issues. I can open all other sites. It's only the tusfiles and uploading.net & ul.to sites that give me a blank window. Scanned with Malwarebytes. No issues.
Jul 26th, 2014, 5:51 am
Jul 27th, 2014, 2:45 am
I was trying to post a book, but I was having computer problems and had to reboot, so I clicked on the "save" button. So now where is it saved?
Jul 27th, 2014, 2:45 am
Jul 27th, 2014, 2:57 am
bettyruthe wrote:I was trying to post a book, but I was having computer problems and had to reboot, so I clicked on the "save" button. So now where is it saved?

Control panel >> Manage drafts

ucp.php?i=main&mode=drafts
Jul 27th, 2014, 2:57 am

Links dead? Need re-up? PM me.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is Lost Carcosa.
Jul 27th, 2014, 3:01 am
Carcosa wrote:
bettyruthe wrote:I was trying to post a book, but I was having computer problems and had to reboot, so I clicked on the "save" button. So now where is it saved?

Control panel >> Manage drafts

ucp.php?i=main&mode=drafts

Well, rats! I looked there, but it said there were no drafts saved. I guess it didn't go through or something. Oh, well, I'll just start over. Thank you very much for your help!! :D
Jul 27th, 2014, 3:01 am
Jul 27th, 2014, 3:09 am
I'm just wondering if there is a problem with the search bar? I think it's broken for me. I'm logged in and searching books I downloaded just this week and when I query them now, they don't appear. I looked up books I knew I downloaded recently like The Troop and The Miniaturist with no results.
Jul 27th, 2014, 3:09 am
Jul 27th, 2014, 3:14 am
Joufy wrote:I'm just wondering if there is a problem with the search bar? I think it's broken for me. I'm logged in and searching books I downloaded just this week and when I query them now, they don't appear. I looked up books I knew I downloaded recently like The Troop and The Miniaturist with no results.

Yes, the search bar seems to be having a little bit of an issue just now. It will probably fix itself soon enough. Until it does, use this search function instead: https://www.google.com/cse?cx=007640456 ... #gsc.tab=0
Jul 27th, 2014, 3:14 am
Jul 27th, 2014, 4:40 am
hercule_p2001 wrote:No other sites have issues. I can open all other sites. It's only the tusfiles and uploading.net & ul.to sites that give me a blank window.

This then would suggest:

Something has gone wrong with the data on your computer - deleting some cookies did seem to improve matters, but I'd have thought that using different browsers would have fixed it
    Something is trying to hijack the download pages, but is only half succeeding - try running [url=sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/]Hijack This[/url]

If not, other troubleshooting:

Can someone connect to those sites on your network through another device? If not that'd suggest it is something upstream from your computer - router or ISP.
    Start a new "user" account and try through that - this should be relatively clean of corrupted data
    If you recently installed software, after which things broke, then try removing it.
    Try putting your computer back to an earlier restore point - when it comes down to it a system restore can often be exactly what you need.

And, although these don't contain solutions to your specific issues, they do provide general troubleshooting ideas for this class of problem:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-1150 ... reen-blank
http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/mic ... lId=219103

I'm afraid that figuring out what has happened in this type of situation can involve quote a bit of rather boring fiddling with settings until you come up with the right fix. However, if you do some of the above you should be able to eliminate possibilities (like whether it is your computer or something upstream, etc.) which will help you narrow down the area you are focusing in so you aren't wasting a lot of time.

Good luck and let us know what fixed this - you can guarantee that you won't be the only person to suffer this problem, even if it seems rare.
Jul 27th, 2014, 4:40 am

Jul 27th, 2014, 8:06 am
Thanks Carcosa. I'll try creating a new user account when I get back to my problem PC which is at my work-place.
Jul 27th, 2014, 8:06 am
Jul 27th, 2014, 4:03 pm
No problem.

hercule_p2001 wrote:I'll try creating a new user account when I get back to my problem PC which is at my work-place.

If the problem is at work, could it just be that they've blocked download sites? It might be something I could imagine someone doing to avoid legal problems with people downloading through their network.
Jul 27th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Jul 27th, 2014, 7:56 pm
I have a few questions. If a book I want to request already has a page, but the links are dead and the user has not been active on the site in over a year do I just go ahead and make a new request? Also, there is another book that I want with dead links, I PMed the user, and on his profile page it says he does reups every weekend however he hasn't been online in a month, so how long is a reasonable amount of time to wait before starting a new request for the book?
Jul 27th, 2014, 7:56 pm
Jul 27th, 2014, 8:28 pm
The answer to all your questions is: PM a moderator.

Subject: [IMPORTANT] Rules for the ebook section

Phex wrote:Dead link requests
  • Please PM the ORIGINAL POSTER with re-up requests
  • If you do not get a reply within a few days you can post in the topic, explaining you received no response from the Original Poster.
  • If the Original Poster is no longer active or not replacing links, PM a moderator with a link to the thread so it can be moved to Expired.
Jul 27th, 2014, 8:28 pm
Jul 28th, 2014, 7:35 am
Carcosa wrote:No problem.

hercule_p2001 wrote:I'll try creating a new user account when I get back to my problem PC which is at my work-place.

If the problem is at work, could it just be that they've blocked download sites? It might be something I could imagine someone doing to avoid legal problems with people downloading through their network.

I own my work-place and I am the sole user of the PC there so what applies at my home, applies there except for data. Same ISP.

I ran Malwarebytes again this morning and it found out something called DealKeeper in Program Files(x86) folder. Deleted the whole folder including the registry keys. Restarted the PC and could download a file from tusfiles. Let me see if it is like before - a one time ray of hope or better! Will keep you posted.
Jul 28th, 2014, 7:35 am
Jul 28th, 2014, 5:10 pm
hercule_p2001 wrote:
Carcosa wrote:No problem.

I own my work-place and I am the sole user of the PC there so what applies at my home, applies there except for data. Same ISP.

Ah well, worth a try... ;)

hercule_p2001 wrote:I ran Malwarebytes again this morning and it found out something called DealKeeper in Program Files(x86) folder. Deleted the whole folder including the registry keys. Restarted the PC and could download a file from tusfiles. Let me see if it is like before - a one time ray of hope or better! Will keep you posted.

Yes, that sounds like it could be part of the problem. It doesn't seem to exactly cause the behaviour you've been seeing but it might be it trying to subvert the download sites' ads is causing some kind of conflict that is stopping the pages from loading. However, it also seems to try and get you to download more unpleasant things, so it might have caused a further infection. This means it'd be worth following up on this, as well as Malwarebytes try Hijack This and the free version of Spybot, all in safe mode if you can. Between them, they should be able to winkle out any residual issues there may be.
Jul 28th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Jul 28th, 2014, 7:01 pm
hercule_p2001 wrote:Back to the same behaviour. It worked yesterday. Today I am facing the same behaviour. tusfiles.et and ul.to fail to open. Only blank page. So it can't be the cookies or the DNS address. Has to be something else. Can't open in Chrome also and in IE also.

I find with both of those sometimes they download with out the file "type". With ebooks I have to add .epub or .mobi on end depending on post. Doesn't happen all the time but often enough that it gets frustrating sometimes. According to Tusfiles its the uploader not saving the file in the correct format before they upload to the cloud. Not sure how true that is, but the fix I do works. Good luck!
Jul 28th, 2014, 7:01 pm

If you like the post please press the Thank You! Button :)
Unable to replace down links. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Jul 29th, 2014, 5:51 am
Carcosa wrote:
Yes, that sounds like it could be part of the problem. It doesn't seem to exactly cause the behaviour you've been seeing but it might be it trying to subvert the download sites' ads is causing some kind of conflict that is stopping the pages from loading. However, it also seems to try and get you to download more unpleasant things, so it might have caused a further infection. This means it'd be worth following up on this, as well as Malwarebytes try Hijack This and the free version of Spybot, all in safe mode if you can. Between them, they should be able to winkle out any residual issues there may be.

I will do that. Thanks.
Jul 29th, 2014, 5:51 am