Jul 17th, 2015, 5:30 pm
photogfrog wrote:
Sharnaranwan wrote:It's not really an afflication, the links here are so temporary, sites get shut down and you're preserving it to reupload in case. I don't think that's an issue at all, especially since this is low storage and environmentally friendly.

Just keep everything well labelled and try to read as much as possible. It's better to have too many books than too few.

This. I have downloaded books I know I won't read because I know, at some point, they will just POOF, disappear.

I'd like to think that my Calibre collection of 20K+ books is on the low end..... right? :)

Collection 20K+ books is definitely low end .. :)
Jul 17th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Sa souvraya niende misain ye
Jul 24th, 2015, 4:06 am
Anonyma'am wrote:When I got my first Kindle, I downloaded dozens of books from Gutenberg and bought a very few (I'm poor, to be frank). Then I discovered sites like this one. Now I have more books than I could ever read! I can't even keep up loading them into Calibre (I insist on certain metadata). See, I have this "affliction". I call it "Costco syndrome", i.e. get it now before it's gone. I only download what I'm interested in (as opposed to grabbing *everything*). I'm also trying to replace as much of my printed library as possible. I *have* learned to avoid the huge collections that people post, unless there is a book in it that I really can't find elsewhere. But still, am I just being greedy?

Is anyone else like this?! Costco syndrome? How do you handle it? Does it even matter?

I began collecting (paper) books more than 50 years ago, and eventually amassed a great number (have never counted) which now partly live in storage in a spare room and in the upper part of my garage in plastic boxes. When I retired and moved a few years ago I never put enough shelves to display them all. I still remember the first book in my collection, which is now (I think) inhabiting my brother's collection.

More than two years ago I discovered eBooks and am now reading on my PC and a new Kindle Fire. Mobilism and other sites have meant that I can now find and 'keep' those books I always wanted but couldn't really afford. And Calibre has provided me with all the 'shelves' I'll ever need.

Some time ago I began to be more selective about those books I grab from Mobilism and so my collection is only just over the 12,000 mark at present. Of course, I still add a few new books every day, but try to be reasonable and spend more time reading . . . ;)

Thanks to all who contributed to this interesting thread . . .
Jul 24th, 2015, 4:06 am

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle
Sep 19th, 2015, 10:56 pm
My name is Buffy and I am afflicted. lol at first I got every Mystery and YA freebee on amazon Then I discovered this site and general-ebooks and started getting books that were on best sellers list. (probably will never read all the free ones , but did find a few good authors. now I use overdrive and I check some out.
Sep 19th, 2015, 10:56 pm
Nov 14th, 2015, 8:24 pm
I think I am a bit of a horder as well. My DH likes to say that I have obsessive behaviour when it comes to books and he could be right. At least I comfort myself that this way it's not costing too much like it has in the past particularly when its made much worse by my mental health. My wish list on a particular website we all know runs to around 3000 books. And some of those seem to disappear from the website as well.

Also I have an eclectic taste in books and I never know what I will fancy reading at anyone time.

Please forgive me if I annoy you all with messages about dead links I am sure I will get it under control soon. It makes such a change to see current releases available when you are poor too.
Nov 14th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Please PM for dead links
Nov 15th, 2015, 7:46 pm
Looks like we need a B.H.A. I may be similar to A.A. (Alcoholics Anonymous) or G.A. (Gamblers Anonymous) We can develop our own 12 Steps. First thing we must each do is proclaim "I am a Book Hoarder, and I need your help."

Seriously, it's really an O.K. affliction. I have a large number, all duly recorded and stored in Calibre. I make them available to friends and family. So, even if I cannot read all that I collect, many do get read by others.

Got to thank all the uploaders for their work. I press the {THANK YOU} button each time I select one to download. Do You?
Nov 15th, 2015, 7:46 pm
Mar 13th, 2016, 1:17 pm
I have the same affliction. I call it: "what if the world ends and I have nothing to read?". Still working on how to make my kindle work after the apocalypse :lol:
Mar 13th, 2016, 1:17 pm
Jan 28th, 2017, 9:14 pm
I have 100s of 'real' books collected over many years. That's several 100s because once a book has become a member of my family that's it. It ain't going nowhere. I discovered mobilism about 18 months ago and now i have many 100+ but not quite hundreds and they too are now family to me. I love the fact that I have a book to suit every mood, every phase of life, every time of year and long may it continue ;)
Jan 28th, 2017, 9:14 pm
Sep 12th, 2020, 9:21 am
I used to buy the books I like to read ... Later I realised I have a small issue with old books, I'am allergic to the dust in old books. Violent sneezing and fever is the end result... Those days I was really down, then my friend suggested ebooks as an option. I didn't think I could read an ebook as I loved the feel of pages and the fresh smell that can only be enjoyed from paperbacks.
Still my passion drove me to try an ebook (Three Men in a Boat). I enjoyed it !! Then I began to replace all my paperback collection to electronic one... NOw I'm happy .... I only enjoy downloading books that I actually needs/wants. If this is an affliction ... I love the suffering ... :D
Sep 12th, 2020, 9:21 am

Sa souvraya niende misain ye
Sep 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm
I tend to mainly download Sci-fi/Fantasy novels, maybe a few young adult or children’s books depending on author.
When it comes to comic books however I download everything that becomes available, those kind of sites are becoming more rare thhese days since the demise of worldwidetorrents.
Sep 12th, 2020, 7:36 pm
Sep 17th, 2020, 5:59 am
Maybe look into building a "end of the world" library, that way if something happens you would be the holder of most of human knowledge :)
Sep 17th, 2020, 5:59 am
Sep 20th, 2020, 4:24 pm
Yes, I'm afflicted. And I don't want a cure. I like this particular 'disease'. :) I actively download as much as I can and won't worry about stopping until I run out of room on my hard drive. :)
Sep 20th, 2020, 4:24 pm
Jan 1st, 2021, 7:13 pm
LOCKSS - lots of copies keep stuff safe. A term from library school that I return to frequently to rationalize my monstrous eBook collection. Which is to say more or less what Sharnaranwan and photogfrog did :
Jan 1st, 2021, 7:13 pm
Jan 27th, 2021, 7:16 pm
I know exactly how you feel!!
Jan 27th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Figs
Jan 28th, 2021, 4:32 am
photogfrog wrote:
Sharnaranwan wrote:It's not really an afflication, the links here are so temporary, sites get shut down and you're preserving it to reupload in case. I don't think that's an issue at all, especially since this is low storage and environmentally friendly.

Just keep everything well labelled and try to read as much as possible. It's better to have too many books than too few.

This. I have downloaded books I know I won't read because I know, at some point, they will just POOF, disappear.

I'd like to think that my Calibre collection of 20K+ books is on the low end..... right? :)

I think I asked about the sizes of Calibre book collections on a forum a couple of years ago, when I passed 25,000 ebooks (have some 38,000 now), and received a couple of disparaging, humorous replies. I guess the 'real' collections start a half a million and go on from there! But as you say, some day they may disappear. Why not keep them handy? And it's so easy to have a big collection of the books I really want, right here in a small space, right in my lap.

(My garage is full of plastic boxes, containing the paper books that have overflowed my many bookshelves.)
Jan 28th, 2021, 4:32 am

But this rose is an extra. - A. Conan Doyle