Jun 16th, 2017, 12:05 am

TITLE: The Color Purple
AUTHOR: Alice Walker
GENRE: Adult, Fiction, African-American Literature,
PUBLISHED: April 1st 2004
RATING: ★★★★★
PURCHASE LINKS: Amazon
MOBILISM LINK: Read!

WARNING: This book has graphic physical and sexual assault content, and sex scenes, so I recommend that people above age 17 read it. The review also contains comments on them, so read ahead at your own peril.

The title "The Color Purple" seem innocuous, at least it did to me at first. It was a compulsory read in my American Lit class, so I picked up a copy from the library and issued it. The cover of the book did nothing to dispel the illusion of simplicity, so I went about reading it after dinner. Mind you, these events happened more than a year back, but the recollection of memories is clear like it happened yesterday, so strong is the impact of Alice Walker's writing.

The Color Purple does not mention the setting directly, as Walker wanted her readers to be able to put the context of the story in any time period. Informally, and through research (partly for my exam, partly out of curiosity) I found out that the novel is set in rural Georgia, early 20th century, 30 years before the World War 2. One of the most horrific times in history, rampant racial discrimination against African-Americans, slavery, economic inequality, slander, assault, an unfair justice system, abuse of every kind, and so many more negative aspects reflected in fewer than 300 pages. One of the main reasons of Color Purple's timeless feature for the characters on the surface would have different circumstances today, but the inherent conflicts remain the same. Walker has subtly emphasized on the evolution of human beings, that despite living in any century, such thoughts will always prevail.

The narration technique used is epistolary, a novel in the form of letters, instead of chapters. Instead of "Dear Diary" entries, though, the letters are addressed to God...
"You better not never tell nobody but God. It’d kill your mammy.

DEAR GOD,
I am fourteen years old. I am I have always been a good girl. Maybe you can give me a sign letting me know what is happening to me. Maybe you can give me a sign letting me know what is happening to me.

Last spring after little Lucious come I heard them fussing. He was pulling on her arm, She say It too soon, Fonso, I ain't well. Finally he leave her alone. A week go by, he pulling on her arm again. She say Naw, I ain't gonna. Can't yoi see I'm already half dead, an all of these children.

She went to visit her sister doctor over Macon. Left me to see after the others. He never had a kine word to say to me, Just say You gonna do what your mammy would'nt. fiirst he put his thing up gainst my hip and sort of wiggle it around. Then he grab hold my titties. Then he push his thing inside my pussy.

With the first person point of view, readers get immersed in the protagonist's direct, unfiltered perspective, and is gripped from the story's beginning, though your reaction to the above quote might be - Shocked, disgusted and want to close the book right away. Yes, me too, although I did not have the luxury of abandoning it like you might. I won't sugarcoat it, the book is a heavy, frustrating, full of despair and sorrow, death along with beams of happiness, laughter, and music. In the end though, even though the ending was open ended, I had a sense of tranquility, which I hope if you read it, you do too.

Celie, the story's protagonist has been abused physically, emotionally, and mentally throughout her childhood, by her father and her husband; along with her mother not knowing what is happening to her daughter, many in her community not considering her worth much. The only source of love in Celie's life is her sister Nettie, who got a complete education, unlike Celie who was pulled out of school. Nettie, however, did not want to marry, and after Celie got married, tried to seek refuge at Celie's husband's house. However, the brother-in-law did not have good intentions, due to Nettie being pretty and charming, code for wanting to take advantage. Thus Nettie also flees, leaving Celie all alone, sinking into depression even further. Her husband has a mistress who he brings home, her husband's son ill-treats her, following his father's footsteps. Celie is a shell of a person, accepting abuse on a daily basis, as being part of the norm. It is not until she bonds with Shug Avery, her husband's mistress and learns to live, enjoy life, and open her heart to love. A word of caution, there are LGBT aspects in the book for readers who are not comfortable with it.
“I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. People think pleasing God is all God cares about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back.”

During the plot development, Walker highlights tons of aspects, such as effects of abuse on both the victims and perpetrators, which is important as the perpetrators themselves were victims at one point. The continuation of slavery and sexism within the black community itself - most of the wives were young, expected to take care of all the children (even if they did not give birth to). Her focus is more on the women, the marginalized within the minority - how they did not have access to the opportunities, were forced into marriage, child bearing, and housework; farm work too if needed. The damage of fitting into the ideal image of "male" or "female" is the one of the multiple undertones of the book. About halfway, the reality becomes so bleak that one might give up reading. But suddenly a different twist occurs that makes one want to continue reading. The story's unpredictable is quality what I loved most about the book. The power of choice and acceptance of self are another two great elements, the upturn of standard norms and traditions, like same sex relations being third. As I was saying, the epistolary form allows the readers to be third party, and not dehumanize the antagonists, recognize flaws, and accept the characters for who they are.
"I am an expression of the divine, just like a peach is, just like a fish is. I have a right to be this way...I can't apologize for that, nor can I change it, nor do I want to... We will never have to be other than who we are in order to be successful...We realize that we are as ourselves unlimited and our experiences valid. It is for the rest of the world to recognize this, if they choose.”

Walker's style cuts through all of the conventional finesse applauded in novels by critics, starting from the language, its raw, broken, true African-American speech, giving the reader a mindset and surroundings to understand the culture properly. The tone is blunt to the point of traumatizing, Walker minces no words. But its also full of wonder, through Celie's eyes we once again notice the beauty of the world. Walker does not give much importance to familial bonds, rather the community and its strong relationships which fosters change for the future. I love that element, because I too advocate that belief strongly.

The finale of Color Purple does not answer all of the reader's questions but leaves one with a sense of contentment, and a reaffirmed faith in humanity and the fate of the world. I consider Alice Walker to be a fantastic author, and highly recommend all of her works.
Jun 16th, 2017, 12:05 am
Jul 4th, 2017, 12:13 pm
I've always wanted to read this one. Great review ! :)
Jul 4th, 2017, 12:13 pm
Jul 9th, 2017, 10:55 pm
"A word of caution, there are LGBT aspects in the book for readers who are not comfortable with it."

Good Heavens!
Jul 9th, 2017, 10:55 pm

I do not refresh dead Request links. Post another request in the Request Forum
I happily refresh my Release links. PM me from the PM button at the bottom of this page and include a link with your request.
Sep 19th, 2017, 5:10 pm
Beautiful review, I agree with your point of view, I readed this book a long time ago and I think it's worth it.
Sep 19th, 2017, 5:10 pm