Book reviews by Mobilism's Book Review team
Mar 1st, 2018, 10:58 pm
As it gets closer to the movie release, I have picked up RP1 for a second read through. One of the lines in the Trailer bugged me, which was: "Welcome to the revolution" and I think I understand what they're saying, but it seems out of place for how the heroes and villains are set up (and knowing how users can connect to the Oasis).

I am still excited for it, and looking forward to the movie, as I want to see all those 80's and 90's craziness all in one place. It's the kind of geeky-ness that speaks to me from my own childhood adventures.

On a different note, I am also re-reading the Death Gate Cycle novels (currently on book 6), from my last read more than 20 years ago, and I find it a pleasant read. I seem to recall not liking Book 4 from my original read, and then feeling like the ending just kinda happened, but it's been so long, it's mostly coming into it brand new. Been fun.
Mar 1st, 2018, 10:58 pm
Apr 19th, 2018, 8:38 am
I'll be honest, I didn't even know that this book existed at all until the movie was announced. But, after reading your comments, I'll definitely check it out!
Apr 19th, 2018, 8:38 am
Apr 29th, 2018, 1:54 am
I tried to start reading the book about three times and never got past the first two chapters or so. I only finally read it AFTER seeing the movie and quite enjoyed it (apart from the atheist rant around chapter two). As someone who grew up in the 1970s and 1980s much of the movie and book resonated with me. I still think the music of the 60s, 70s, and 80s is far superior to what is out there now. The quality of music started to fall off in the 1990s until where we are now - an almost complete dearth of anything worthwhile.
Apr 29th, 2018, 1:54 am
Apr 30th, 2018, 4:48 am
thx Emmy for the book review.

I watched the film and now back to read the book again.

Yes, I like the world OASIS (if it really exist!)
Apr 30th, 2018, 4:48 am
May 24th, 2018, 11:13 pm
Like most adaptations of movie from book, the book is always better because it has more room and facility for the nuances that really bring out the POP in a story. That said, the movie adaptation can be a good movie in it's own right - but this is best accomplished when you see the movie not having read the book (or maybe not in the last 10 years!); then you get to read the book and generally have another wonderful experience.

I read RP1 about 3 years ago, and found the movie quite enjoyable on it's own merits. But frankly I prefered the book. Maybe it will be like with 'Ender's Game' - the second time I saw the movie, I was able to appreciate it more for itself outside of the book. Am now reading a Dona Leon Inspector Brunetti, where I have seen the TV film probably 1/2 dozen times, and I am having real difficulties being able to divorce myself from the film to enjoy the book.

Apples and Oranges always.
May 24th, 2018, 11:13 pm
Jul 7th, 2018, 8:02 pm
The book itself was a fun read... the movie was good and fun to watch, but it just felt like it was insta love. In the book the character development makes you invested in the relationships, the movie, not so much. Regardless, both were fun in their own way. :)
Jul 7th, 2018, 8:02 pm

"Spiral Out..
..Keep Going"
Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:13 am
I am not big SF-Fantasy reader but really enjoyed buddy reading this one with my husband after watching the movie. Loved the 80s culture references!
Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:13 am
Sep 1st, 2018, 2:41 pm
I have just finished this. It took less than a week. I absolutely loved it. If anyone could suggest anything similar please do.
Sep 1st, 2018, 2:41 pm
Sep 9th, 2018, 12:50 pm
I saw the movie it was very good
Sep 9th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Sep 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm
Wonderfull review, I hope the movie made justice to such a wonderfull story.
Sep 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm
Oct 1st, 2018, 8:58 am
Thanks for the review. They butchered the movie a bit IMO but was still worth the watch.
Oct 1st, 2018, 8:58 am
Nov 27th, 2018, 12:03 pm
Something not (but possibly should be?) mentioned in the review is that, IIRC, this is the author's FIRST book, his debut novel. Which, considering how good it is, is just that much more amazing.

Comparing a movie to a book is really an unequal comparison. No movie can ever really do justice to the book version of the same tale. There are just too many more details that can be stuffed into a book than can be shown on the big screen in a 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hour movie. Even a mini-series is not really going to do a book justice.
Nov 27th, 2018, 12:03 pm

"We Gladly Feast on Those Who Would Subdue Us." - Addams Family
Jan 31st, 2019, 2:35 pm
The Movie was OK Nothing to special about it..but compared to the novel the movie just isn't good enough
Jan 31st, 2019, 2:35 pm
Feb 5th, 2019, 6:15 pm
love this review! I haven't watched the movie yet because it looks really blockbuster-y.
Feb 5th, 2019, 6:15 pm